Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Just TOO Chill? - No Man's Sky Column

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageIs It Just TOO Chill? - No Man's Sky Column

Before you go any further I want you to know I have not played No Man’s Sky. What I have done is viewed more streams of other people playing it than I care to remember. Like many of you I’m trying to figure out exactly what it is and if that appeals to me enough to warrant a purchase!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I will probably end up buying it on Steam this Friday. I just hope that real MP gets patched in too, as Sean's been hinting at.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    It's a no win situation for these guys. They make certain things rare and on day X fans and writers are dry complaining about lack of seeing anything rare. If they had made everything extra available, it would have been "I found everything too fast, once you've seen one you've seen em all". I thought the whole point of the exploration was for you to find that cool thing be happy and document it. "Most of the planets are barren, they aren't teaming with life so I can comlain about all the planets teaming with life".

Explore More.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    It's a no win situation for these guys. They make certain things rare and on day X fans and writers are dry complaining about lack of seeing anything rare. If they had made everything extra available, it would have been "I found everything too fast, once you've seen one you've seen em all". I thought the whole point of the exploration was for you to find that cool thing be happy and document it. "Most of the planets are barren, they aren't teaming with life so I can comlain about all the planets teaming with life".

Explore More.
    cost of overhyping the shit out of what is normally just an average ok game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    You know if you look at our Earth we have a insane amount of places that look wildly different from the Saraha desert to Hawaii to napal to grand canyon. I look at these streams and sure each planet looks different from other planets BUT the whole planet is one place and not different like this planet is. its a bit of a let down.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I remember *cough* years ago my first MMO was Earth and Beyond. I had a lot of fun just mining asteroids and gas clouds. It had a zen-like appeal and was a way to relax after work. I wonder if this game can do the same sort of thing.
    Alverant said:
    I remember *cough* years ago my first MMO was Earth and Beyond. I had a lot of fun just mining asteroids and gas clouds. It had a zen-like appeal and was a way to relax after work. I wonder if this game can do the same sort of thing.
    very well could however over the course of 2 years or so I dont think the developer ever even came close to alluding or explictly stating that this would be one of the top reasons to buy it

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I'm reminded of Spore. Perfectly fine game, but overhyped to high heavens.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    edited August 2016
    Luckily i got it as a birthday gift. Cant wait. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• BekaBeka Member UncommonPosts: 59
    For anyone that has been saying the game is too easy, the AI doesn't do much, survival is no problem, etc., this guy managed to find a pretty harsh planet (and a glitch or two):

(hope posting a link to a video is okay) - having watched several of his videos over the past week, he seems to find a lot more interesting planets than most others I watched, but also seems a lot farther along as well.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I've been watching streams of NMS and it's simply not for me. At least not at a $60 price point. the lack of real multiplayer is definitely a turnoff. and despite how rare it was supposed to be for people to run into each other, two people were able to and the game didn't support actually showing other players standing next to each other or one of them destroying stuff. That reeks of false advertising as there are clips of Sean saying you could see other players, it would just be a rare occurrence.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Game seems like it would have been amazing to play on a top-end computer back when I was habitually using drugs.

Nowadays- not so much.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2016
    I will probably end up buying it on Steam this Friday. I just hope that real MP gets patched in too, as Sean's been hinting at.
    If they add multiplayer, or even coop, i'll buy the game right away. The way it is right now there is no way im paying $60. I would prefer they don't deal with servers(small company, big risk) and just let us host our own coop games and invite our friends. LAN is a wonderful thing.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    SEANMCAD said:

Explore More.
    It killed this game and it is just average. All those planets and you do the same thing on all of them. I would get bored after a month. But its a new game with pretty graphics so the the hype train is running wild.
    Hariken said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Explore More.
    It killed this game and it is just average. All those planets and you do the same thing on all of them. I would get bored after a month. But its a new game with pretty graphics so the the hype train is running wild.
    but the thing is overhype games like this make all their money off of the hype itself. They will likely make plenty of money from pre-orders alone

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Does anyone think that they simply didn't actually make any graphics of what your supposed to look like and only made the gun planets and space ships? meaning your character simply doesn't exist. or is there a way to see yourself?
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I look at this game, and I will definitely be buying it, but not until the price drops.  I have analyzed this game quite a bit, and I can confidently state that after the first two weeks (gotta enjoy the new car smell!), I will be playing this game for about 5-6 hours a week.  With that level of playtime, it is really hard to justify $60.  I will wait until the price drops below $40, which will put the game in the proper threshold for how I will play it.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't think it's finished. A year from now it should be a great game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

TimEisen said:
    Apparently two people did meet up but couldn't see one another, maybe due to some instancing or something. That was fast. Gamers gonna gamer and other than the writers, most of us are pretty smart ;)
    I think its statistically impossible for that to have happened randomly within the first week. some planning some where must have happen.

Torval said:
    That's almost every game and entertainment piece. If they're not super hyped then they fall off the radar and everyone asks why it wasn't advertised and marketed.
    I cant agree with that. Elite was not over hyped, nor as Space Engineers and to be honest if any game deserves more attention its Space Engineers

edited August 2016
    TimEisen said:

SEANMCAD said:

TimEisen said:

Apparently two people did meet up but couldn't see one another, maybe due to some instancing or something. That was fast. Gamers gonna gamer and other than the writers, most of us are pretty smart ;)

I think its statistically impossible for that to have happened randomly within the first week. some planning some where must have happen.

It seems like every time I see a developer talk about a low % thing some crazy player figures it out in 1/3 the time. Even in games with almost no way around it gamers find a way, like that guy in WOW who never picked a faction and leveled on crafting low level stuff lol. I love it.
    yeah...umm..no

as someone who knows a thing or two about statistics and knows a thing or to about the vastness of the universe I am telling you no..not just no but hell fucking no. no way that happened without something having been planned.

statistically speaking its more likely that aliens finding us here and chatting with us would be far more common then of this happening

so either

A. it was pre-planned.
    B. they both knew the coords to meet at
    C. Everyone is spawning in the same general location

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited August 2016
    TimEisen said:
    From what I read, two players were streaming on Twitch.  One player came across a planet that was named by the other.  He reached out to that person and then they coordinated the experiments.  I also read a comment that while they were on the same planet, they were at different "time periods" in the game, whatever that means....

Edit: Found Sean's tweet about it. Some of the comments are entertaining

SquireX said:
    TimEisen said:
    From what I read, two players were streaming on Twitch.  One player came across a planet that was named by the other.  He reached out to that person and then they coordinated the experiments.  I also read a comment that while they were on the same planet, they were at different "time periods" in the game, whatever that means....

Edit: Found Sean's tweet about it. Some of the comments are entertaining

The chances of a person playing the game and streaming and finding a planet that another player who also streams named is stastically less likely then us interacting with aliens as common place.

either everyone is being spawned near the same location or some bamboozling is going on. its a bit surprising to me how much as been written and said about this game with a clear misunderstanding of exactly how big we are talking about

Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    That's almost every game and entertainment piece. If they're not super hyped then they fall off the radar and everyone asks why it wasn't advertised and marketed.
    I cant agree with that. Elite was not over hyped, nor as Space Engineers and to be honest if any game deserves more attention its Space Engineers
    Elite was massively hyped....
    oh HELL NO...hell fucking no. oh hell no, not anywhere even remotely close to the hype of this game....oh hell no

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    SEANMCAD said:
    TimEisen said:
    Yep, there was an exploit involved.  I calculated that you have a 30 times greater chance of winning the lottery than meeting someone in this game.  That is assuming that one million players average exploring 1000 planets.

And meeting someone they knew?  While their is a chance, it is so small that you are much better off playing the lottery with the megaplier.  Then you could buy the game and make it multiplayer!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!