Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man’s Sky Confirmed To Have No Multiplayer, Other Players Not Visible

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Dullahan said:
    No Man's Sky, advertised as single player game, confirmed to be single player game.

Thanks.
    This. 

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Yeah ... funny how the game creator never tried to quash the self deluded fans who kept saying this game was an MMO ... oh no wait, yes he did, he fucking rabidly did, every chance he could. Why the blue bloody hell does no one seem to remember any of that? I barely followed game news as to me No Man's Sky just looks like another time wasting simulator, yet even I knew this. Any so called devoted fan who finds this news shocking, really needs to reevaluate their life priorities and get the fuck out of their self imposed echo chamber of hype.
    No he didn't Sean never was straight clear about it he always tried to avoid a concrete answer . What a Shame this game had Huge potential ..
    edited August 2016
    There are three possibilities(I have no opinion on which is right):

1) they didn't expect people to meet this soon and haven't even written(finished) that code yet (or at least haven't enabled that code)
    2) They wrote the code but are having issues making it work in the live environment
    3) They lied when they said you could see other players

This ! He mentioned lot of time about multiplayer it's not the delusional fans it's dedicated fans that followed all the info and all what Sean said...

Well probably they have some coding problem with Multiplayer yet ... will see how they will work out in the near future
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    If you can or are meant to see other players, they will have had to produce player skins/animations etc. So the question to ask is "have they done that". Would seem simple enough one to answer.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Yeah ... funny how the game creator never tried to quash the self deluded fans who kept saying this game was an MMO ... oh no wait, yes he did, he fucking rabidly did, every chance he could. Why the blue bloody hell does no one seem to remember any of that? I barely followed game news as to me No Man's Sky just looks like another time wasting simulator, yet even I knew this. Any so called devoted fan who finds this news shocking, really needs to reevaluate their life priorities and get the fuck out of their self imposed echo chamber of hype.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-10-no-mans-sky-players-meet-at-the-same-location-but-cant-see-each-other

Cheers
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Does it matter if it's only a time waster? You can see weird animals and trade with aliens. Just for fun.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Akulas said:
    Does it matter if it's only a time waster? You can see weird animals and trade with aliens. Just for fun.
    Just as any other game ^^?
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    This is called Karma. I cannot wait for this to go on sale. I only have 4500 points from my playstation credit card so im waiting for a price drop to $39.99 to get it for free. Oh and if you have half a brain you would apply for a playstation credit card if you have a ps4. I have gotten 3 free games with the points I rack up just on buying crap. you also get a $60.00 giftcard when you sign up.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Archlyte said:
    You cannot see each other, however you can push books off the shelf in your daughter's room in the past.
    I actually got that reference.

I recall Sean definitely stating that it was 'highly improbable' that you would ever find another player due to the size of the universe, size of planets, etc.

"Highly improbable" is not at all the same as "totally impossible".

Seems like someone this vested in procedural generation should get the difference.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited August 2016
    I've been following this game for some time now and never ever have I even considering this game being a multiplay game let alone a MMO, I have from the start seen this game as pure singleplayer game.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Maurgrim said:
    I've been following this game for some time now and never ever have I even considering this game being a multiplay game let alone a MMO, I have from the start seen this game as pure singleplayer game.

I think the core question people are trying to spark is this 'why hasnt the developer been explicitly clear about this?' and yes 'i needs to'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    Maurgrim said:

I think the core question people are trying to spark is this 'why hasnt the developer been explicitly clear about this?' and yes 'i needs to'
    Well Sean have sead It is possible to meet other players but the chance of that is very slim to none, hence I considering this a singleplayer game.
    Maurgrim said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Maurgrim said:

Well Sean have sead It is possible to meet other players but the chance of that is very slim to none, hence I considering this a singleplayer game.
    and then when asked again if its multiplayer no answer was given.

There is a reason he was not being explicit but he should have been 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

1) they didn't expect people to meet this soon and haven't even written(finished) that code yet (or at least haven't enabled that code)
    2) They wrote the code but are having issues making it work in the live environment

This ! He mentioned lot of time about multiplayer it's not the delusional fans it's dedicated fans that followed all the info and all what Sean said...

Well probably they have some coding problem with Multiplayer yet ... will see how they will work out in the near future

Either that or it was never actually built in properly because they felt that two players would never actually find each other, even though they TECHNICALLY could. Then two players did and it was a massive "Holy Shit" moment in the office, lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Dullahan said:
    No Man's Sky, advertised as single player game, confirmed to be single player game.

Thanks.
    Well the devs were hinting that you could see the other player in earlier statements.  They are the ones that started all of this talk.  

I'm interested to see some more of the reviews as the PC release nears.
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Maurgrim said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Maurgrim said:

and then when asked again if its multiplayer no answer was given.

There is a reason he was not being explicit but he should have been 

If you create a gameworld so vast and make it a multiplayer or even a MMO with thousands of other players in the same game world but everyone start so far off from one another that it could take years to even meet another player.
    Would you call it multiplayer and/or MMO or a singleplayer game?

It's a tough question to answer.

CrazKanuk said:

Either that or it was never actually built in properly because they felt that two players would never actually find each other, even though they TECHNICALLY could. Then two players did and it was a massive "Holy Shit" moment in the office, lol. 

statistically impossible which means its more likely just a planned event.

MP is really a topic that I could not care less about however it seems to be he should have been EXTREEMLY EXPLICTLY clear when asked the question. Maybe he was but from what I have heard second hand he was not

• axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95
     The game is great, I got it on my PS4 and I don't give a fuck if I don't see or can't see other players. 

PC twats who thought this game was an mmo lol. 
    Are you dense? If developer said so then it better be as he/she says, otherwise it's a lie. Why would you lie?
    Airhead much?

asdasdasd

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

MP is really a topic that I could not care less about however it seems to be he should have been EXTREEMLY EXPLICTLY clear when asked the question. Maybe he was but from what I have heard second hand he was not

Oh yeah, I could care less about it. I just find it curious that they would have invested resources into putting something into the game at all. Then again, as I said, maybe they didn't :) Could be that the multiplayer experienced was merely a side effect of the implementation, not the intent. So not seeing someone would be completely understandable if that were the case, since I'm sure there is a non-trivial amount of work involved with actually building a whole multiplayer layer (where you can actually see the people). 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Oh yeah, I could care less about it. I just find it curious that they would have invested resources into putting something into the game at all. Then again, as I said, maybe they didn't :) Could be that the multiplayer experienced was merely a side effect of the implementation, not the intent. So not seeing someone would be completely understandable if that were the case, since I'm sure there is a non-trivial amount of work involved with actually building a whole multiplayer layer (where you can actually see the people). 
    which has NOTHING to do with what I am saying.

Multiplayer or not Multiplayer is not my point. My point is being explictly clear about it one way or the other

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Multiplayer or not Multiplayer is not my point. My point is being explictly clear about it one way or the other

Yeah, but you just said yesterday how you've experienced many times where you'll tell a PM one thing and they'll completely twist around your words (regarding something being done). I'm surprised that you expected more clarity, lol. :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited August 2016
    Akulas said:
    I'm sure it matter to the people who believed him when he said you could see other players.  Clearly that's not the case.  Currently, you don't even see the exact same thing the other player sees, i.e. one player may see a ship that doesn't exist for the other player at the exact same spot and time.

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Yeah, but you just said yesterday how you've experienced many times where you'll tell a PM one thing and they'll completely twist around your words (regarding something being done). I'm surprised that you expected more clarity, lol. :)
    I often and expect that I have to say the same thing multiple times and usually in the exact same way before someone understands what I am saying

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    The point isn't whether this is a MMOG.  The point is that instead of being up front and honest, the developer used questions about multiplayer to segue into talking about how large their game world was.

It could have been as simple as "No, the way we've designed the game means you will never 'see' another player; you will each be shown a slightly different copy of the world. You will, however, be able to see features other players have named".

Instead we got: "have you heard how large our game world is? The chances of running into another player are very small".

Then on release this changed to: 'oh wow, you guys did that on day 1??? Mind = blown'

...except you can't directly interact with another player, which is bs because the devs strongly implied that you could if lucky enough.

Maybe you're fine with being lied to but I prefer not to be manipulated by people, especially when they are ready to take my money. Rabidly defend companies taking advantage of customers' false expectations, much?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited August 2016
    Funny how your post is just not true.   As you claimed to not follow the game, then perhaps you should not comment on something you know nothing about.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A