Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virus Scam popup

13»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

In case someone isn't aware of how virus, hijack (lockout for money), or Trojan ads work:

If there is a paid cycling ad, where the ads change for each time the page is loaded, there is a decent chance that a handful of those paid ads out of the unknown (thousands? millions?) amount of ads being cycled from the ad company, will contain code to redirect to the unsafe website or even insert code from the ad itself to create or download scare software.

The problem with this, and the reason it is preferred by the scammers, is that it makes it nearly impossible to track which ad caused the issue, since if you do manage to return to the original page the ad was displayed on that ad will no doubt be gone and a new, probably safe, ad will be in its place.

The ads themselves can run on a timer before the ill-intent occurs. This is why it makes it even harder to find just by leaving your browser open on a number of pages, when added with the fact you first would need to have the unsafe ad on your page to begin with and the odds of that are slim since there are so many ads cycling through from the ad company.

The reason phones and tablets see this occur sooner when loading a page rather than having to leave the website up for an unknown amount of time (usually minutes for pc) is because that is how the mobile ads are designed, their timers are either immediate or less than a minute until the ill-intent occurs.

They can redirect your browser, open a popup or stealth download software.

If you are lucky, your pc or more commonly your phone/tablet won't be infected. If you are unlucky, you could be infected with any form of virus, spyware or malware. If you are REALLY unlucky, your pc or phone/tablet will be locked with a screen indicated how much money they want to unlock your device and how to pay it, as well as a timer indicating how long you have until all of your documents will be permanently deleted or your device itself will be left unusable and/or non-repairable.

If people are seeing this, what are the odds they are all using the same ad-blocker for that software to be the culprit? It is more likely the culprit are ads being cycled into the website. This shouldn't be dismissed, it should be reported to the ad company.

I think its a bunch of hoopla.  Its like one of them conspiracy theories that everyone believes but noone actually experiences.  20 years on the internet myself and I have never used antivirus or adblocker.  My information is currently safe and I have never had a serious issue.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 163
    edited December 2016
    I was going to make a topic about this until I saw this. I thought it might be my tablet (running android 6.0 nvidia tablet) so I got a new one (original got cracked screen) and same thing was happening to me on this site. It's only this site too. I really like mmorpg but I'm hesitant to visit this site lately because I get redirects to pop up ads here
  • VanesseVanesse Member CommonPosts: 2
    My PC is running with Windows 7 but there is no such problem when browsing this forum.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,213
    edited December 2016
    Those sites are not the culprits,they are simply the redirects.Trying to make SOME sense of it all,i would assume it all depends on what the scrip likely doubleclick is trying to redirect you to which will be different for every user and why some run into problems and some don't.

The culprit using my best judgement is Doubleclick which has LONG time been a very annoying...cookie/tracker/beacon.I assume it is a problem because of the way it is scripted to run on this site.
    Doublelick is owned/run by Google which all of it's attack arsenal of cookies/trackers/beacons are used on pretty much every site.DBLclick is a redirect script...go figure people are having redirect problems.

For those naive or those that just don't know,adblockers are NOT the total answer and why even those people will run into problems.
    I again since i don't follow every move this site makes,but i can assume it started with them running AD-RECOVER which is a script "intended" to be fair to both user and site.However it is not setup as intended but instead setup to be GREEDY and a no care for user input.

Ad-Recover is meant to ask the user to opt in or out of ads,to let the site know which ads it does not like or like but of course it is not working as intended.It is meant to allow sites to monetize users using adblockers ; ;

And....there is a quick rundown on what is happening here on this site.Guess what,they KNOW 100% they started using Ad-recover they also know they use Doubleclick "redirect",so to "pretend" it was some out of the blue mobile problem is really a slap in the face to users here....NOT nice.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,213
    Boomtrain is another that tries to pass on advertising via web,mobile and emails.They are also in the works of being even more intrusive,so full out exploitation BEHIND USERS backs,without any notification at all.

There is a good reason why Germany has stepped up and made a lot of this illegal and other countries are moving in that direction as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.