Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics are less important

2»

Comments

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Games have to keep some free space for imagination... less "perfection" equals better immersion because is your mind the filler :)

If you dont understand me watch this video:

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

I would be happy with EQ2, WoW or Rift level graphics.

Past that point, gameplay is more important to me than additional eye candy.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    a modern game needs to have more modern graphics. Story is great but poor graphics is a letdown. At least better then EQ2.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Dullahan said:
    Good graphics is subjective. What most people won't stand for is clunky graphics and animations. WoW never had good graphics as far as level of detail, realism or polygon count. There is basically no standard you could put WoW through and judge its graphics as more than mediocre at best. However, it did have an amazing level of polish. Your actions and movements felt flowing and tactile. Your abilities looked impactful and animations and sound were well contrived.

Those are the things that are important. The game doesn't have to look photo-realistic as WoW has already proven for over 10 years.
    my feelings, exactly - especially about polish being greater than 'quality'. i dont need the bleeding edge of modern graphics, plenaty of old game look just fine to me, even Albion, as someone mentioned, looks fine to me because its polished, the animations 'work', my charcter doesnt look like its iceskating around, etc.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Graphics are always a popular topic and cause of many arguments with the pros and cons of it all.

Like several of us I'm all over this site like a dog and have been for years.  I'm a free thinker and use hypothesis gathered from the large community and ignore the loud few trying to push their beliefs.  In my studies from General Discussions, sub forums, polls taken, Youtubes and my own experience, I've come to the solid conclusion graphics are far less important than game play.  

Graphics - You can't have both, add that everyone doesn't have the $600 video card.  It's only natural that the few that have would be vocal about graphics.  People will be trying to play on Laptops this is a fact, so it only makes sense to be more concerned about coding.  Blizzards World of Warcraft is cartoon style for a reason, they know it's all about coding, first and foremost.  People that don't play that game strictly because of the cartoon graphics are Hog Wash, it's a lie.  They simply don't like that game ! 

It's no secret mmos are hard to make.  It's no secret outstanding graphics require EXTREAMILY large resources. Way too much !

Developers trying to please this small but vocal group are self destructing themselves from the start. Games are way smaller and less deeper because of it, hence you have the 30 day game.

GOOD GRAPHICS ARE NOT WORKING OUT FOR ANYTHING NEW, lets finally face this fact !........developers need to ignore the few.

I'll leave you with this:

The cry baby - You can't give a child candy instead of dinner, why ruin everyone else's meal.  And this is where we stand, no one has anything to play !   

Stop with this nonsense Elder Scrolls Online has proven that you can have good visuals without needing a power house PC. Brad's problem isn't game mechanics its crappy clients that don't run well on even the most brute PC's (Vanguard and both EQ games at their launch is proof of this). 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Graphics are less important than art style and game play.

However, i do not want to see LOTRO or EQ1/EQ2 character models. Those things are hideous. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Problem is people equate "good graphics" to real world photorealism. That's not necessarily the case. Good graphics (in context to the what's being delivered) are always important. Great gameplay can mask the lack of fidelity but great visuals + gameplay should be desired. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Look at Inside.

Simple game with puzzels and just average graphics. But oooh the atmosphere!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People are always talking about game play over graphics.To me that is an argument used when a game is just bad.
    A quality game developer SHOULD be able to put it all together,not one or the other,ALL OF IT.
    People often talk about graphics holding up well,i call BS on that.
    I have heard this same nonsense with WOW and guess what ,WOW "vanilla" looks like crap,like some amateur low budget game designer,NO they do not hold up well over time because they NEVER looked good ever.

The way i look at it is this,if a game at least looks good,then i know there is a slight chance the game might have some effort put into it.If it looks bad,then it is just a cheap ass low budget game that will have no chance of pleasing me.Having said that,i am not talking about needing HD graphics,just GOOD graphics,better than Wow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited August 2016
    If graphics were not as important as some people claim, then many of those same people would find plenty of games to play now while waiting for a game like Pantheon.

I still play both EQ and EQ II

I also run DosBox and play games like Master of Magic, Pools of Radiance, etc.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin