Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radeon RX 470 Launches and In Stock

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Looks a great card for 1080p but the pricing is just too close to the RX 480. If there was £20 - £25 difference then fair enough but only £11 difference between the Sapphire Nitro RX 470 (4GB) and it's bigger brother, the Sapphire Nitro RX 480 (4GB).

It would be a very strange decision to not get the better card.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2016
    Review 470 Nitro 8GB/Strix 4GB/PC Devil 4GB

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/radeon-rx-470-test/

Performance/price of 470 (based on 26 tested games)

470 4GB and 480 4GB are absolute best buy cards (at their respected MSRPs)

Oh, and stock on Newegg didnt last very long lol

Post edited by Malabooga on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2016
    The PowerColor was listing for $179 earlier this morning. At $179, it's probably the best value in cards I've seen since the $199 GTX460 1G or the $150 AMD 5770 (that particularl deal didn't last too long).

It went out of stock, very quickly.

Now it's listing at $199. It's still a good card, but that's the same MSRP as a reference 4G RX480, and that makes it a hard pill to swallow: nice AIB 470 vs stock 480.... I'd probably lean 480 at that point.

None of the current generation cards being near MSRP so far is pretty amazing, and I can't think of another time that this has ever happened like this. Sure, one or two particular models may run higher than MSRP for a while (the GTX680 at release, the 7970 during the bitcoin craze, etc.), but all cards across all price tiers.... that's pretty unprecedented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Ridelynn said:
    The PowerColor was listing for $179 earlier this morning. At $179, it's probably the best value in cards I've seen since the $199 GTX460 1G or the $150 AMD 5770 (that particularl deal didn't last too long).

It went out of stock, very quickly.

Now it's listing at $199. It's still a good card, but that's the same MSRP as a reference 4G RX480, and that makes it a hard pill to swallow: nice AIB 470 vs stock 480.... I'd probably lean 480 at that point.

None of the current generation cards being near MSRP so far is pretty amazing, and I can't think of another time that this has ever happened like this. Sure, one or two particular models may run higher than MSRP for a while (the GTX680 at release, the 7970 during the bitcoin craze, etc.), but all cards across all price tiers.... that's pretty unprecedented.
    It does seem really unusual. Why do you think that is?

New manufacturing process = significant increase in performance / efficiency (high demand) but also lower yields (low supply).
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I don't know - it is a new process, but AMD and nVidia aren't using the same process, or the same fab. And those processes, at least similar if not the exact same, have been used by previous high volume customers if I'm not mistaken. But it could be - it wouldn't be impossible for two different chip designs using two different fabs using two different processes to both be experiencing yield issues.

Maybe it's really a case of pent-up demand. If you look at the Steam Survey again - there's a lot of low end and older cards on there. Intel Integrated graphics take up several spots in the top 20. A lot of people itching to upgrade when the time is right. I was surprised to see the 1070 and 1080 appear on the survey list in their first month of eligibiliity, and doubly so with the supply issues we have been seeing. The 980Ti, which has been out for a long while now, is sitting at 0.97% (and that ticked upward, so it's not that people are upgrading from a 980Ti), so you could perhaps infer that they have already sold as many 1070s and 1080's combined as they have all of the 980Ti's, or in a couple of months time half as many 1080's as they have 980Ti's, which has been available for a long while.

Maybe it's a case of price vs performance - this generation really is a big leap forward, kind of like the kind we used to have in the late 90's/early 00's, but have moved away from as we approach the limit of physics and our knowledge. For the past few generations, we usually saw 10-20% increase from generation to generation in the same price points. This generation we are seeing closer to 50%.

Maybe the economy has something to do with it. I know the Graphics market isn't limited to just the US, which is doing phenomenally better since 2008, but globally the economy is doing better than it has been in a while (with a few notable exceptions, such as China). Better economy = more discretionary income = more GPU demand (or something like that).

Maybe it's the effect of the current generation of consoles. We are finally starting to see PC games move beyond DX9 and the previous generation of console ports. PC gaming has been heavily influenced by console gaming, even if we don't like it and argue about to what degree. 

Maybe it's the marketing game. Manufacturers and Retailers have realized they can extend out the "new car" effect by artificially constraining the supply. Vultures Resellers have learned how to game the market a bit better with markups on a constrained supply, and they have broader access to the market now that Amazon and Newegg both allow 3rd party retailers through their storefront. Add all  of that up, and maybe that's a big influence on what we are seeing now.

I don't know if it's any of these reasons, or all of them. But it's something new and bears watching.