Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Ad-Free Monthly Subscription Option?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited February 2017
    I don't see how it could hurt. As long as  people have both options it's fine. If you made it so that the website requires a sub and removed the option to view/post without a sub, then that would outrage some people.

If you just added another option, then people who don't like it can continue as it is now - free with ads.

i hate intrusive ads but I would never use something like ad blocker. I don't understand the people who use ad blocker. If everyone used it and no one wanted to advertise anymore, how would websites make money. Advertising is great as it keeps a lot of things "free".

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    LynxJSA said:
    Asheram said:
    Will there also be a cash shop? And seeing that theres a subscription option will the said cash shop only sell cosmetic items or will there be p2w items as well?
    If you're trying to win at forum posting, you're losing elsewhere. 
    You lost at detecting sarcasm. It was obviously a light hearted joke  :p

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BeefFandangoBeefFandango Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Clearly absurd idea, your content is not worth a subscription (no offence). The question fundamentally is this... AM I prepared to pay for mmorpg.com to continue... the answer is, no, sorry, but it has become clique and self-absorbed of late. Sorry, no. 
  • BeefFandangoBeefFandango Member UncommonPosts: 31
    filmoret said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    Yes but only if you promise not to get annoying ads that make people want to subscribe.
    To late?
    I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly.  I'm gonna vote for silly because if you are serious then well I'm sorry you look at life this way.
    wrong! If the option is subscribe or be bombarded with ads as a F2P then the whole idea will fail. Basic comprehension, mate. 
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    edited February 2017
    If this was implemented i would be very surprised if they didn't block access to the site/parts of the site for adblock users the same way a lot of other sites are now doing. That would leave you the option to either subscribe or turn off adblock. There are of course ways around that but the majority of users wouldn't be aware.

10 years ago when sites like this were more relevant i might have considered it as back then the content was much better, new MMO's were releasing all the time, betas for new games that weren't just fluff garbage were a regular thing. That time has long since past.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353
    edited March 2017
    Your site and community is going the way of VHS, CD's and soon BlueRay, you were once the bastion of MMO news , a place where mmo's ONLY were discussed, a place where you could get close and open beta key giveaways to upcoming games, a place where you could get and find fellow gamers to mmo with.

That's mostly in the past now, Gone are the regular mmo keys, Gone is the sense of community beyond the forums, gone is the focus on MMO's, these days its just about what random new game with multiplayer is has caught peoples eye, games a lot of your older users are not interested in because you know, THEY ARE NOT FKN MMO's.

Dont even get me started on the 10 year old site theme, web designed has advanced a lot in the past ten years you might want to look around and see what your rivals are offering.

And your actually considering offering a subscription method ? Are you actually joking ?

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Would be very welcome from me. I may actually start visiting more.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • Ellie9021GabrielEllie9021Gabriel Member CommonPosts: 3
    @emily26 hi
  • dswag22dswag22 Member CommonPosts: 19
    Can anyone get me an account for trying it out!
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Why not remove all annoying and unrelated ads? Can it be done?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    I probably wouldn't do it for 2.99.  But I would like to support youse guys.  

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Adblock wasn't for stopping ads, it was made and used so we didn't get infected from certain ads that did spread malware. If you could declare the fee would block all ads then I would be fine with it. 

Just a lot of ads that tend to sneak through a lot of sites protections they have setup. So AdBlock will always run on my systems. 
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Is this idea still viable? Let's get it going and sign me up. I mean, we are talking an 'option' here. Members who don't want to pay can carry on as they always have, and those of us who don't want to be afflicted by the ridiculous ads on this site can make them go away while still supporting the site.

It's a Win-Win.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    As long as its something decent (like a buck or less a month) i would be on board. Sadly there is no 'voting' option so i assume that was closed.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    I already give to some patroon creators I don’t see why I wouldn’t give to the place I have been coming to since ... what? 2004?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,501
    I would pay. Since this is my first go to site everyday 

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MagararMagarar Member CommonPosts: 8
    @MikeB it can be good
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I think websites are going to go towards a Monthly subscription option in the next 5 to 10 years.   People might not like this but Ad driven websites are dying.   This is going to happen because people are getting tired of censorship around the internet.   What you have going on is Twitter, Facebook, Google and so on are censoring material that they don't like.  People like myself are saying screw these big tech companies and leaving.   Dont believe me?  Here is a Wall Street Journal article from Tuesday proving this is happening.   https://www.westernjournal.com/confirmed-facebooks-recent-algorithm-change-is-crushing-conservative-voices-boosting-liberals/    

We also have YouTube personalities who are getting censored for their material on everything from Political talk to gaming.  Right now you have Blizzard trying to shut down Alexensual on YouTube because he is fighting for Classic WOW to not have the changes.   Well that is not what the WOW fanboys want and now you have Blizzard trying to censor a person who is fighting for.   

This is being done because the Ad driven internet.  You have these companies that have ads on sites like youtube and if this companies dislike what you are saying they work with youtube to shut you off.  You guys can hate someone like Alexensual but its wrong to censor people.   How will you people like it if these publishers go to MMORPG.com and see the negative feed back on X game and they force MMORPG.com to censor you or lose money?   Don't think this is wrong?   If 75% of the reviews on the game are bad and that publisher tells MMORPG.com to ban you and delete the negative feedback or that lose money.   How would you feel.  The negative feedback could be done in a very constructive way but because it was negative you get ban.   

Now you also have situations like ESPN who got way to political and tried to control people with propaganda.   This caused ESPN to lose money to the point where they had to lay off people.  This is because people like me said F ESPN I am going somewhere else for my sports info because if I wanted Political talk I would go to a political channel not ESPN.   So they let go of people like Pierre Lebrun who joined a company called the Athletic.   This website is a Subscription only website because they dont want to drive away people like me because some Ad revenue says Hey you need to push this political bias or we pull our money from you.   So to keep that trash out of this new company as much as possible they have a subscription.   

I am sorry but honestly this is the way the internet is going.  This is because we have too many big tech companies trying to drive a political agenda through the internet.   You can see this agenda even in some of the games today.   

So yes while I would HATE to pay a subscription.   If it will keep MMORPG from banning people except when harassment or US laws are broken.  Then I am good with this.  I do not want to be ban for stating my open opinion about a game as long as I do not harass or discriminate against people.  You might think I am nuts that the internet is going this way, but the truth is out there for all to see.  

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    adblock is free though....

maybe a paid option for diehards here and give them some form of noteriety when posting or something...im sure this site still gets dumped a bunch of keys and give aways...just give em to the paid members or something...

or maybe...you know...clean the site up a bit...and people might wander here for info.

ive been harping for years to clean your game list up, so i can easily find new mmorpgs, rather than the giant dumpster of ancient and dead mmorpgs, non mmorpgs, and buried in there actual new mmorpgs with little hype...which is why i use to use this site waaay back in the day....and maybe then more people would frequent here.

that whole ban everyone phase back in 2008-2010 was pretty much the nails in the coffin over here though...that was a bad idea that drove a lot of people away who used the game subforums often.

As it stands i find steam a better place to discuss most games...though id kill for a website that kept track of active and new mmorpgs that would otherwise fly in under the radar...not saying ditch the dead games and non mmorpgs...just maybe make another tab for them.

But honestly it take like 1hr to click through your game list and see all the dead games or games with no forum option...or games that have no website anymore ect...

neglect is hurting this sites functionality, and those past ban waves drove away a lot of the community that made hanging out here worth it...
    In addition to Adblock and the like, you can always just ctrl-+ to push most of the advertising off the sides of the page.   Doesn't really help the top and bottom ads, but I can live with those.   Plus, I need the size to help reduce eye strain.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @danwest58 your article is from the Western Journal, not Wall Street.  Western Journal is a heavily right-leaning publication, which no doubt contributes to their article's conclusions.

Usually, when your side of the ideological spectrum supports philosophy contrary to the values the country is centered around (or, in some cases, the logical morality the world generally accepts), it can seem like the world is out to get you.  POTUS Chester Cheetah is the poster boy for what I'm talking about there.

With that out of the way, I have faith that Bill and the gang would not censor their users as the result of a monetary threat from a dev or publisher.  I don't buy that proverbial conspiracy. 

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    @danwest58 your article is from the Western Journal, not Wall Street.  Western Journal is a heavily right-leaning publication, which no doubt contributes to their article's conclusions.

Usually, when your side of the ideological spectrum supports philosophy contrary to the values the country is centered around (or, in some cases, the logical morality the world generally accepts), it can seem like the world is out to get you.  POTUS Chester Cheetah is the poster boy for what I'm talking about there.

With that out of the way, I have faith that Bill and the gang would not censor their users as the result of a monetary threat from a dev or publisher.  I don't buy that proverbial conspiracy. 
    You can say you will not buy it.  However Its happening on Youtube, Facebook and Twitter.   3 of the largest tech companies trying to sensor people.   Hell Facebook is selling users information.   So yea.   I think we are going in the direction of subscription websites.  
  • OracleOfTheUnknownOracleOfTheUnknown Member CommonPosts: 15
    @MikeB ; money sub could be good .
  • JunebugircJunebugirc Member CommonPosts: 6
    So whatever happened to this thought? I'm new around here and didn't see any option for a paid option while signing up.. but im all for supporting communities that I'm part of, especially when it's a really dope place.  <3
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Problem always with ads depends on how IYF and irrelevant they are.

Yours look OK in that respect.

They're generally unobtrusive, and some are worth clicking on.

This means I'm largely happy as I stop by and offer my wise gaming counsel or soak up the goodies from other contributors.

Maybe I'll take up a few offers ... in which case maybe you'll get some commission — and I'd like to believe that if I followed through just 2 times in a year you'd get more from me than $2.99.

But like others have said, the easiest solution to ads — wherever and however they pop up — is to deploy a +2 Adblocker of Decrapolery.

They tend to be free — and have the advantage of running no ads themselves.

Best thing is to float the idea and see what happens, but as far as I can see it doesn't add a vast amount of value to your operation & may lose you the cash you need to keep this baby afloat.
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    I want all the forums and games and streaming to remain free.  Ads don't bother me
This discussion has been closed.