Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/r/NoMansSkyTheGame goes into meltdown

1235»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited August 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    scorpex-x said:
    I found it funny where he said it's worth $60.  This from a guy that has pretty much no value for money at all.
    Value for money is a purely subjective thing.

Daymeeuhn gets considerable value for his money, he gets to be the "Hero of Reddit" for a week or so, and all for the low, low price of just $1300 !

It's the third time he's done this apparently...

If value is purely based on time spent in the game, this is like at least 3 times more valuable than Call of Duty. 

I think that 30 hours, for the majority of people, is the sweet spot. As much as people brag about how they spent hundreds of hours in games like Skyrim, I think that is a small minority of people. However, I think that they absolutely have to offer extended gameplay for those people, too, which it sounds like they've done. 

If you need more value than $2 per hour for entertainment, I don't know how I could sell you anything. Actually, I couldn't. It wouldn't be worth my time to sell you something :)
    Oh these first world rich bastards... in 3rd world game always were a cheap very cheap way of entertainment. But today developers are changing this old trend   and this is because of filthy rich westerners like you :)

That's right! There are plenty of perfectly fine free to play games out there, though :) Although it's the rich westerners who fund those also.... so you're welcome :) 

Just for some context, I have 4 boys, two of whom are teenagers, so I can't even take them to McDonald's for less than $60, and probably wouldn't get out of a restaurant for less than $110 after tip. On top of that, it's all just money wasted since they immediately evacuate it when they get home anyway. 

So, yeah, $60 is pretty cheap entertainment :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    CrazKanuk said:
    scorpex-x said:
    I found it funny where he said it's worth $60.  This from a guy that has pretty much no value for money at all.

Daymeeuhn gets considerable value for his money, he gets to be the "Hero of Reddit" for a week or so, and all for the low, low price of just $1300 !

If value is purely based on time spent in the game, this is like at least 3 times more valuable than Call of Duty. 

I think that 30 hours, for the majority of people, is the sweet spot. As much as people brag about how they spent hundreds of hours in games like Skyrim, I think that is a small minority of people. However, I think that they absolutely have to offer extended gameplay for those people, too, which it sounds like they've done. 

If you need more value than $2 per hour for entertainment, I don't know how I could sell you anything. Actually, I couldn't. It wouldn't be worth my time to sell you something :)
    Oh these first world rich bastards... in 3rd world game always were a cheap very cheap way of entertainment. But today developers are changing this old trend   and this is because of filthy rich westerners like you :)
    Why does someone always have to post shit like this? As soon as someone brings up money and value, someone else is always there to play the "1st world problem" card. I mean, It's a freaking video game site after all.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Phry said:
    Eldrach said:
    If they were happy with the game in it's current state, they'd released it..They asked for more time to tweak things...This guy bought the untweaked version, crashes and imbalance comes with such a copy
    As the game is supposedly releasing officially in 10 days, then they have a job of work on their hands. Though i am not sure the work needed to be done really can be classed as 'tweaks' it sounds a bit more serious than that, particularly the crashing issue while travelling. :o
    Game could be releasing tomorrow, it's irrelevant. 

The copy he purchased could be months old as far as anyone knows.  He's didn't purchase the released version of the game. 

Here's what I don't get...
    You make a product, someone steals it and sells it, and neither of those people have police officers knocking on their doors. 

Theft is illegal and this is what happened, why isn't it being dealt with the way any other theft would be, by the law.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2016
    Uhwop said:

The copy he purchased could be months old as far as anyone knows.  He's didn't purchase the released version of the game. 

You make a product, someone steals it and sells it, and neither of those people have police officers knocking on their doors. 

Theft is illegal and this is what happened, why isn't it being dealt with the way any other theft would be, by the law.

Emphasis on "could be months old". Without any proof that the builds are months old it only makes sense to treat it as the current build.
    For all we know someone has got a release copy from the pressing plant and sold that, just as people do for uploading the latest blockbuster.

However, if these copies were obtained illegitimately then I'm pretty certain Sony would be after them asap.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    Uhwop said:

Emphasis on "could be months old". Without any proof that the builds are months old it only makes sense to treat it as the current build.
    For all we know someone has got a release copy from the pressing plant and sold that, just as people do for uploading the latest blockbuster.

However, if these copies were obtained illegitimately then I'm pretty certain Sony would be after them asap.

no actually I disagree

I dont think the assumption should be that a game that is for sale on Ebay before the publisher even releases the game is anything other than a hack job. I also think the word of game play by anyone who buys such a file and begins to talk about it should be defaulted to liying rather than telling the truth unless evidence can be provided

The default assumption should be the opposite of what you are suggesting

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Define "hack job". What's next? That Marty McFly sent them from the past?

I don't know how it is done usually for game demos but I know that on film screeners they are watermarked or have regular banners stating they are the property of blah blah studio etc so if they do similar things for games then release copies would be clear of any indentifiers (as they are).

Also seeing as these copies appeared after the game had gone gold makes it far more likely that they came from the pressing plant, if they were 2 or 3 month old demo builds then why would HG simply not say so?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Uhwop said:
    Phry said:
    Eldrach said:
    If they were happy with the game in it's current state, they'd released it..They asked for more time to tweak things...This guy bought the untweaked version, crashes and imbalance comes with such a copy
    As the game is supposedly releasing officially in 10 days, then they have a job of work on their hands. Though i am not sure the work needed to be done really can be classed as 'tweaks' it sounds a bit more serious than that, particularly the crashing issue while travelling. :o
    Game could be releasing tomorrow, it's irrelevant. 

The world is never that simple, lol

Yes, it's theft.
    Yes, the receiver of the stolen goods is easily identifiable.

Nothing will happen to any of these criminals.

These leaks are generating excellent PR. They have consistently put NMS on the front page of Reddit, the most widely-viewed forum on the internet.

besides, ten's of thousands of neckbeards would riot if Sony or anyone else attempted to prosecute this theft.  The damage to Sony's public image would be incalculable. 

Streaming stolen copies of games in the week before release is almost "business as usual" these days.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Scottgun said:
    Wish I could argue about ED. Im still waiting for their promised PS4 version. :)

Except it was never promised. If I remember correctly the devs simply said "never say never" or something to that effect.
    Promised might not be the best word, but from what I'm reading, they are intending to do it.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:
    scorpex-x said:

As a kid at the arcades in the 80s, if I couldn't stay alive for more than 15 minutes on a single quarter it was time to get better at the game.  Just saying...

I think $1 per hour is a better goalpost for me.  I'm sure it varies from person to person.

Yeah, I remember those days. The price of admission at the arcade is now $1 where I live. Can't find a quarter machine anywhere. Maybe an old tabletop version of Galaga or something, lol. I'd totally play that though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Am I the only one who will be heading toward the outer edge of space?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Hello Games fed players expectations to the point where they are now. Murray was prevaricative about the multiplayer. This is a single player game. It is noted as such on the box and listed as such on steam. You will never actually play with another person. At best you will get the soapstone aspects of DaS multiplayer, likely only with your friends, which was sold as being like DaS multiplayer. Mentions were made of seeing other players. 
    Yes, people shouldn't be dumbasses about projecting their dreams onto unreleased games but in this case that was very much encouraged by people trying to sell a AA product at best for AAA prices.
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited August 2016
    Aethaeryn said:
    While maybe not the outer edge, I'm not obsessed with the center-of-the-universe thing. From the very beginning I was never under the impression that there would be much player interaction, so the whole prevarication thing would need a lot more concrete evidence of intent to deceive.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a weird gaming age we live in. It's the pirates, the cheaters and the crazies who are first to "review" who set the tone cause all the sheeple take their shitposts as unbiased "truth."

Meanwhile the legitimate and knowledgeable reviewers who try to do fair coverage are treated with suspicion because they must be on the take.

Crazy shit.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Iselin said:
    It's a weird gaming age we live in. It's the pirates, the cheaters and the crazies who are first to "review" who set the tone cause all the sheeple take their shitposts as unbiased "truth."

Meanwhile the legitimate and knowledgeable reviewers who try to do fair coverage are treated with suspicion because they must be on the take.

Crazy shit.

Is this about nms or something else?  Are you a DC Fanboy upset with the Suicide Squad reviews?  J/K

I am not sure some of them have even played the game.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    Iselin said:

Crazy shit.

Is this about nms or something else?  Are you a DC Fanboy upset with the Suicide Squad reviews?  J/K

Nah, just a general trend I see here, on reddit and YT. NMS leaked "reviews" and the shitstorm it has caused is just one of the latest examples.

Batshit crazy opinions are preferred over professional reviews these days cause, ya know, they're unbiased. :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Iselin said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Iselin said:

Crazy shit.

Nah, just a general trend I see here, on reddit and YT. NMS leaked "reviews" and the shitstorm it has caused is just one of the latest examples.

Batshit crazy opinions are preferred over professional reviews these days cause, ya know, they're unbiased. :)

Don't go to screenrant.com and read the comments on DC movies.  DC/Marvel fanboys fighting over stupid crap....As opposed to all the deep intellectually important crap we fight about here.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    Iselin said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Iselin said:

Crazy shit.

The one opinion video I posted seemed legitimately fair. I honestly have only seen a few people stream it, and one actual opinion piece; are there more? Are you referring to the viewers opinions on what they have seen of the game so far? Or are you just talking most games in general?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Reddit. The king of the circlejerk.
    Tiller said:
    Iselin said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Iselin said:

Crazy shit.

The one opinion video I posted seemed legitimately fair. I honestly have only seen a few people stream it, and one actual opinion piece; are there more? Are you referring to the viewers opinions on what they have seen of the game so far? Or are you just talking most games in general?
    IDK what video you're talking about. I'm talking about the guy who allegedly paid $1300 on ebay for a copy of some version of the game that started this whole feeding frenzy.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Well there's the camp that think this game will be ground-breaking awesomeness and those who think it will disappoint.

I pre-ordered today and if it turns out to be boring and repetitive, I'm sure I can stick at it for enough hours to make it a decent £/$ per hour of entertainment. I'll take my chances as its not really a lot on money.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Iselin said:

Crazy shit.
    Companies often Pay Bloggers to do Good reviews for the game . I still don't get WHY mmorpg.com Supported so much Wield Star that failed so badly ....^_^
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    Aethaeryn said:
    Probably not since aiming for the center doesn't sound much fun.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    What do you expect in the days of corrupt marketing teams and media?  For a game to actually be all that its cracked up to be?  Pay MMORPG $1,000,000.00 and tell them to say this game is the best ever and there are no bugs and MMORPG will do it.  They need money to operate so they will do as they are told if they want the money.  Not saying that MMORPG does but but I am saying Media like MMORPG does this.