Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/r/NoMansSkyTheGame goes into meltdown

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited August 2016 in No Man's Sky
It seems that after watching the leaked gameplay a lot of people are questioning what has been said about the game and the actual reality of the game.
A post on reddit trying to dismiss, defend or justify these things makes for some very amusing reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4vjjga/we_have_collected_some_evidence_that_the_leaked/

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Yup, it's just the tip of the iceberg, imho.

The lack of detailed info regarding the game has allowed people to give free rein to their imaginations. The disappointment is going to be immense in some cases...

It's pretty clear from reading the comments on Reddit that many are expecting far more from the game than it can reasonably deliver. Some appear to be upset that it can take just 30 hours to "beat the game" (reach the center of the galaxy), when Sean Murray apparently said it would take anywhere fro 40 to 100 hours, depending on how you played.

Knowing how I play open-world exploration games, I'm quite sure it will take me several hundred hours to reach the center, because I'll be taking the scenic route... :D
  • FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39
    OG_Zorvan said:
    30 hours to reach the center of the "massive" universe. ROFL  So much for "hundreds of hours to reach the center" and "you'll likely never see another player because the universe is so big" and all the other crap the dev spouted.

So what happens when a hundred or more players zoom to the center of the universe and find out they can't see each other and it really is a singleplayer game just as Steam has it listed as? The tears, man. The tears!!
    As far as i know he reached the center of the Galaxy not the universe, and there are in fact more than one galaxy in the game. Because I'm 100% sure that i've seen/heard somewhere that when you reach the center of the galaxy you can travel to another galaxy and so on, until you reach the center of the universe.

But hey i could be wrong, only time will tell :awesome:
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    As far as i know he reached the center of the Galaxy not the universe, and there are in fact more than one galaxy in the game. Because I'm 100% sure that i've seen/heard somewhere that when you reach the center of the galaxy you can travel to another galaxy and so on, until you reach the center of the universe.

In the link below he states that he's reached the center but doesn't want to spoil the "secret".

Here be spoilers https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4va7ve/the_spoilersleaks_megathread/d5yg3u9

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Gamers are like Klingons, so much fighting amongst themselves no progress can be made.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

The internet seems to give people the perfect opportunity to show just how badly humans can behave.

One of the Reddit mods just quit the NMS subforum because they apparently received death threats from some people that disliked their moderation style...

The guy that broke the leak fiasco (/u/Daymeeuhn) apparently has a history of doing similar things with other games. He is happy to pay $2000 to be "famous" on the internet for a while. He's doing it for the fame, not for the game...

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Some like to be worshipped, others like to worship. The leaks gave me the opportunity to finally make up my mind about the game, because I had some lingering doubts.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I find the whole death threat thing rather dramatic to be honest. Clearly it is not a pleasant thing to wish harm on someone even if it is only rhetorical. GDAF was a common phrase that people would use, but did anyone really consider that a death threat?

The ex-mod's post

It feels a lot different when you're on the receiving end of it. Yes, I can go outside; yes, I can walk in the sunshine; but none of that changes the fact that I just got told to go stand in front of a truck and get run over by it.

When you go outside, for that walk in the sun, it's all you can think about. When you get back, sit in your chair, it's still in your mind. It's horrible. I know, with an incredibly high sense of certainty, that nobody is actually going to go out and kill me, but it doesn't change the fact that they just said that.

The saying "Sticks and stone will break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is nothing but complete bullshit. They hurt just as much, but there's no physical signs of them, and words are a hell of a lot easier to send out.

I said in Discord a few days ago that before I go out, I have to stand in front of a mirror and force myself to smile before I go. That is still true.

What really threw the subreddit into chaos was the removal of footage, kow-towing to HG and the conspiracy theory post that the mods stickied, the one linked in the OP.

The exorbitant hype was bound to implode at some point and trying to control the narrative in such a situation is an exercise in futility.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    OG_Zorvan said:
    30 hours to reach the center of the "massive" universe. ROFL  So much for "hundreds of hours to reach the center" and "you'll likely never see another player because the universe is so big" and all the other crap the dev spouted.

So what happens when a hundred or more players zoom to the center of the universe and find out they can't see each other and it really is a singleplayer game just as Steam has it listed as? The tears, man. The tears!!

By what i have read he also used an exploit to get the required amount of resources.

With such games there will always be some guy finding some way to "beat the system".
    Doesn't mean that you have to take the same path, too.

Some speedrunner beat Skyrim in 35 minutes....yet the title provided hundreds of hours of awesome gaming experience for everyone else.

Volgore said:
    By what i have read he also used an exploit to get the required amount of resources.

With such games there will always be some guy finding some way to "beat the system".

Some speedrunner beat Skyrim in 35 minutes....yet the title provided hundreds of hours of awesome gaming experience for everyone else.
    When it comes to open-world exploration games, the speedrun records are irrelevant to me. 

I've played over 800 hours of Skyrim, and never completed the "main" quest. I've never "beat" the game. I'll probably finish it one day, but if I never do, it won't make the slightest bit of difference to how much I enjoyed playing it.

I'll not be playing NMS to "find out what's at the center". I'm in it for the journey, not the destination.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Volgore said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Not an exploit, it sounds like the Atlas stones thing is a design choice, and one which the guy says himself, that they need to tone down. It wasn't a case of him beating the system, but just a consequence of the state of the system as he was playing it, he also went on to say that he expects there to be a day 1 patch to 'fix' those issues, though i have to say, if its released in the state it appears to be in, then there will be problems and we'll probably hear a lot more about those issues that the guy raised.
    Hopefully all those things will be fixed on release, but if they haven't, then HG needs to seriously think about delaying the game more so that they are fixed, particularly the whole game crashing issue on the PS4 version, i don't think Console players will be very happy if that stays in the game. O.o
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 406
    If they were happy with the game in it's current state, they'd released it..They asked for more time to tweak things...This guy bought the untweaked version, crashes and imbalance comes with such a copy
    Eldrach said:
    If they were happy with the game in it's current state, they'd released it..They asked for more time to tweak things...This guy bought the untweaked version, crashes and imbalance comes with such a copy
    As the game is supposedly releasing officially in 10 days, then they have a job of work on their hands. Though i am not sure the work needed to be done really can be classed as 'tweaks' it sounds a bit more serious than that, particularly the crashing issue while travelling. :o
    Eldrach said:
    No, the leaked versions of the game are retail copies.

NMS went "gold" over a week ago, and that was AFTER HG had the extra time required by the launch delay. 

Things like the very high value of certain resources can be easily adjusted by a day-1 patch, but crashing issues would not be as trivial. However, the crashing issues do not appear to be game-breaking, otherwise it would be a major complaint on ALL the leaked streams...
    Eldrach said:
    No, the leaked versions of the game are retail copies.

NMS went "gold" over a week ago, and that was AFTER HG had the extra time required by the launch delay. 

Things like the very high value of certain resources can be easily adjusted by a day-1 patch, but crashing issues would not be as trivial. However, the crashing issues do not appear to be game-breaking, otherwise it would be a major complaint on ALL the leaked streams...
    Would be interested to know if the crashing out of game while travelling applied only to the PS4 version, or if it also happened in the PC version. Personally i'll be waiting on that being fixed, although the work around of saving the game before leaving the planet and flying off somewhere, while it undoubtedly works, would be a PITA. I don't think i'll be alone in waiting to see how that is addressed before actually buying the game :o
  • SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209
    Reminds me of mmos where people are max level and complain that there is nothing to do, then a new expansion is released with say 10 more levels, and people crazy grind to get to the end then complain that there is nothing to do :) can't please some people, this game is said to be rather huge so i bet you can spend endless hours in it exploring.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    People had so much delusion about this game.   What cracks me up the most is that many expected MMORPG in space for one time 60$ purcharse.

Anyway NoManSky rage and shattered dreams will be nothing compared to what will happen once Star Citizen releses.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    another overhyped game that will be awesome for lots of ppl and trashbin material for others....and the cycle continues , last month all the rage was OW , now is NMS ...next month......Legion....
    Warlyx said:
    another overhyped game that will be awesome for lots of ppl and trashbin material for others....and the cycle continues , last month all the rage was OW , now is NMS ...next month......Legion....
    And the cycle will continue util the end of time... or until the Borg arrive...

It's what makes us human, we are all different. Every new thing will be loved by some and hated by others.

The internet even allows some people to actively look for new things to hate ! :D
    Sulaa said:
    People had so much delusion about this game.   What cracks me up the most is that many expected MMORPG in space for one time 60$ purcharse.

Anyway NoManSky rage and shattered dreams will be nothing compared to what will happen once Star Citizen releses.
    Don't worry, it might never happen :p
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Is it because atlas stones negating the point of trading?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    Burn baby , BURNNN!!!

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The game had way too many bugs to be a full version.  Its probably some beta prototype that someone swiped from a game show.  Anyways here's the links for the gameplay footage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4vlm3p/the_second_coming_of_the_spoilersleaks_megathread/
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Akulas said:
    Is it because atlas stones negating the point of trading?
    No, it's mostly a result of the forum vampires arriving to feed on the pre-launch excitement. Happens around the launch of any new game.

Some people seem to love destroying the happiness of others. It's probably pure envy... :D
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited August 2016
    did not pre order the games but i was kinda hyped about it
    ( i never pre order anymore and most of the time im going pirate the games before buy it, but im ending up buying the game if that good )

honestly doing it this way im buying so far less games... dev are liar, games releases full of bugs or are often not even what they should be.

that okay if the players are not happy the games crap
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    this did not and has not happened in Elite Dangerous

no 'game beat' because there is no 'beating' a sandbox
    no 'figured all parts of it out' because its actually designed well
    no 'got to the center in 30 hours' because you cant

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    OMG I NEED GRAMMER GLASSES ARGH!