Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamer Database

JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22
Hey guys,

me and a few friends thought it would be great to start a database of gamers, we are all old friends that nowadays play many different games so we thought why not make a database of gamers so that you can search for old friends and find new ones that play the same game as you - hence online-gamers.directory was just born.

Seeing as MMORPG.com is my fav gamer site, I thought Id ask everyone here what you think of the idea (Id like to link to MMORPG.com on it, not sure how to go about asking permission for that but maybe an admin will read this and let me know).

Check it out and if you like the idea, create an account - always nice with new gaming friends =)

Comments

  • PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,289
    The potential for privacy infringements inherent in this is astounding tbh. Not to mention it will be a primary target for RMT'ers. Its hard to see how any positive aspect is not massively outweighted by the negatives O.o
  • JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Well that all depends on the person itself right? Providing a "gamer name" is quite sufficient, no need for your real one. All communication could be via the forums, rendering you totally anonymous.

    The point here is not your personal information, it is what you are playing. The whole idea is just to be able to find people playing the same game as you.

    There will always be people trying to take advantage of others, regardless of what we do to protect ourselves - its just human nature.
    But we shouldnt let that stop us from having fun ,-)
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member RarePosts: 998
    I'm probably in enough databases by now.
  • JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I respect that Zorvan, Im mainly looking for opinions. That and new people to play games with =)

    One of my hopes for this is to be able to provide cheaper games for people, one of the communities Im a member of have a great deal that I wanted to port to this project. Its a work in progress.
  • PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,289
    edited July 2016
    JimiK said:
    Well that all depends on the person itself right? Providing a "gamer name" is quite sufficient, no need for your real one. All communication could be via the forums, rendering you totally anonymous.

    The point here is not your personal information, it is what you are playing. The whole idea is just to be able to find people playing the same game as you.

    There will always be people trying to take advantage of others, regardless of what we do to protect ourselves - its just human nature.
    But we shouldnt let that stop us from having fun ,-)
    My advice is to research PII etc. as ignorance is not an acceptable defence, should the worst happen, anything from fines to custodial sentences can be the result of such 'worst case scenarios' so it really does pay to be informed. There is also the data protection thing too, it really does apply to everyone.
    Post edited by Phry on
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member RarePosts: 3,826
    I think if it's done correctly it could work, what Phry is saying is a real issue though. The problem also stands, what would make it different than any online community. Lots of sites provide people information on what games you are playing, any active forum. Raptr or any chat program that allows you to add friends (steam, Raptr, before xfire got shut down that was another) shows what game you are playing usually. So what would set the site apart from any of those? 
  • MendelMendel Member RarePosts: 2,155
    Phry said:
    The potential for privacy infringements inherent in this is astounding tbh. Not to mention it will be a primary target for RMT'ers. Its hard to see how any positive aspect is not massively outweighted by the negatives O.o
    Let's not forget the sheer inconvenience that such a list could generate.  I get enough spam e-mails as it.

    The only positive it might create is selling that list as a contact list to startup gaming companies.  But, that doesn't seem to benefit the average gamers on such a list in any way.  Like @Phry said, it's a negative net.

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I agree, sharing personal content is a risk, but we do it everyday - everywhere. People are connected via their Google acct, Facebook, Twitter - you name it. Think about all those phones out there connecting to the web every day, full of our personal information - pictures, acct numbers, phone numbers.
    Its not about that.

    The meaning of the project is really not to track your progress in games or anything similar, its sole purpose is connecting gamers with other gamers for the purpose of playing together. The simplest way of doing this being a searchable database based on six simple criteria.

    When this was born, one of the reasons was that I was getting real tired of searching for new clans every time I played a new game that noone I knew played, plus Im a member of so many different clans (yea I play alot and Im old haha ^^) I tend to forget them.
    I wanted something outside the gaming websites - a clean database where I could find what I was looking for fast. Also I wanted to be able to see what people with similar to my interests in games played so I could try those.

    Tbh Im thinking of just removing the forums and emails altogether to encourage people to contact eachother directly instead via PMs.
    No distractions, think of it as the White Pages.

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member RarePosts: 3,826
    JimiK said:

    Tbh Im thinking of just removing the forums and emails altogether to encourage people to contact eachother directly instead via PMs.
    No distractions, think of it as the White Pages.

    No I wouldn't do that, you have to have something there to keep people coming back otherwise your site won't prosper. That's how most sites keep afloat, they get a userbase to keep coming back. Once someone finds a friend they used to play a game with, they start playing the game with them, and then you lost a user. Keep the forums, keep PM's, keep messaging, it will benefit you in the end. The more people you hook, the more it will grow. 
  • anemoanemo Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    There have been a few cases where I log onto an old game and wonder where old friends went.   But it's kind of an edge case, so even if I was that curious it wouldn't be worth the effort of signing in and probably won't for those friends either.   Then there's that awkward reintroduction "remember me from Runescape 10+ years ago, yeah kind of figured"

    Not to mention having to remember another password.   Having another site that could get compromised, resulting in password leaks(This is actually the bigger part of bussiness for RMT/Account Theft, they don't go for game servers or similar they go for fan sites as hack targets as they tend to have very weak security that the one in 'small number' of people that reuse passwords is really profitable).   Not to mention if any account of mine has been hacked in someway, it could expose some of my older game accounts(which did have password reuse).

    So really I would probably never sign up for such a thing, and would actually discourage other's to do so...  Especially when the whole point is to link every game account name ever.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

    "At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

  • JimiKJimiK Member UncommonPosts: 22
    anemo said:
    Especially when the whole point is to link every game account name ever.
    No that is definetely not the point. A character name is not the same as a username. I should know, Ive had thousands of characters thru the years, without them being the same as my gameacct.

    But I guess that is a personal thing what you choose to name your account. I try not to use something easy to guess.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,754
    JimiK said:
    Hey guys,

    me and a few friends thought it would be great to start a database of gamers, we are all old friends that nowadays play many different games so we thought why not make a database of gamers so that you can search for old friends and find new ones that play the same game as you - hence online-gamers.directory was just born.

    Seeing as MMORPG.com is my fav gamer site, I thought Id ask everyone here what you think of the idea (Id like to link to MMORPG.com on it, not sure how to go about asking permission for that but maybe an admin will read this and let me know).

    Check it out and if you like the idea, create an account - always nice with new gaming friends =)

    Hell no.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




Sign In or Register to comment.