Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Want a VR MMORPG?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Only if the in-game cameras are designed for VR.  In my opinion, current camera systems for games are not really suitable for VR.  Most games use a 1st person view camera, since it's natural for a VR headset, but a 3rd person camera will be very tricky to do right.  I hope i'm making sense. Haha.
  • sfsghtrwesfsghtrwe Member CommonPosts: 5
    Only if the in-game cameras are designed for VR.  In my opinion, current camera systems for games are not really suitable for VR. 
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    A VR MMORPG is basically the promise of dungeons and dragons finally coming true. When I played dungeons and dragons and we used our imagination, but there was also this dungeons and dragons cartoon. The cartoon was about a group of people in this world that got sucked into a different dimension and turned up into a dungeons and dragons world. 

I always fantasized that this would happen to me. After all our world was so boring compared to living in an adventourous world with orcs and dragons.

With VR we will eventually get to a place where we do live in another world, we do travel and experience the beauty of worlds with orcs and dragons. Now the first mmo's may be very limited but as technology of the headsets and the experience of developers improve we will be part of MMO experiences where we fight in groups across the world as we travel trough amazing scenes and after we defeated the dragon we will be drinking ale in virtual inns. 

So anyway the answer is yes.  
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    With the current VR options, i wouldn't want one, but i think in the next decade or so VR may well improve to the point where a VRMMO is a viable option.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    I want Massive Multiplayer Online Augmented Reality (MMOAR).
  • LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    No.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Yes.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I want Massive Multiplayer Online Augmented Reality (MMOAR).
    That would be sweet as well, even though I think AR would work better as a tool for LARPs.

Anyways, a good VR MMO would be nice but just converting the already released MMOs to VR would not be good enough. A VR MMO need new mechanics for attacks, casting spells and so on to really use the VR potential.

You should use your body when attacking someone or casting a spell, not just click a floating key or you would lose a lot of the immersion.
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    No

I need to be able to look around the room and talk to people. I also like to be able to see my keyboard and desk.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    So you think someone will make an mmorpg on vr even though normal mmorpg games are a tiny niche market?

Good luck with that.  Also no I wouldn't, it would run like crap with unlimited players.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Yes, most definitely.

But I think a successful VR-based MMORPG is a decade or two in the future. The whole game will have to be designed from a VR perspective, which will probably make a VR headset and dedicated controllers a prerequisite.

The current installed base of VR tech is simply too small to support a dedicated VR MMO effort.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    scorpex-x said:
    So you think someone will make an mmorpg on vr even though normal mmorpg games are a tiny niche market?

Good luck with that.  Also no I wouldn't, it would run like crap with unlimited players.
    I wouldn't say MMO's are 'niche' but that there are many 'niches' within the MMO market, but you may well be right at the moment about VR MMO's being a tiny niche, particularly as there is such a large price tag as a barrier to entry just in terms of hardware alone, and considering how much it costs to actually make an MMO these days, i don't really see any company investing all that much in terms of time and resources, in a game that will likely only attract a few thousand customers, even assuming that a VRMMO has the same development time as a regular MMO, which is at least 5 years, for a VRMMO, it might well be double that, i can't see that any development team would take on that kind of a risky project honestly.
  • Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Phry said:
    With the current VR options, i wouldn't want one, but i think in the next decade or so VR may well improve to the point where a VRMMO is a viable option.

Exactly what u said! if it was good enough atm then for sure, but it may be like when VR 1st came out years ago and the graphics weren't ready so it killed VR. VR mmo now may kill VR mmos in the future unless something amazing is made. 

But I would love it, imagine the level of immersion playing an excellent VRMMO!
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    VR has a lot to figure out before it can attempt a solid MMORPG.

The play sessions are too short - my eyes do start getting tired after 30 minutes. Then you have the problem of movement. VIVE is interesting, even some of the RPG games are great. Majority of them are standing experiences though. I have yet to see a game where the movement isn't clunky.

I'm a fan of both VR and MMOs, but I think we won't see that combination done successfully for a while. There are several steps VR needs to make first.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Nope. VR is bad.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    In two weeks I have been in VR gaming for 24 hours total and I say yes

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I would much rather see full VR support for genre's other than MMORPG's first.  In fact, I really feel that for VR to take off, it's going to have to be successful in the shooter (CoD, Battlefield), Stealth (Splinter Cell), standard RPG (Witcher, TES) before anyone should even consider making an MMO around the technology.

An MMORPG, a good one, takes the better part of a decade to develop.  Then add on all of the new game mechanics and character movements/references that will have to be incorporated and we're basically looking at an entirely new game engine from the ground up on top of all of the content.  That would be a complete waste of money and effort if VR flops under the weight of its (currently) excessive cost.  Especially considering that MMO's are a niche market to begin with.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    VR? Sure in 2030 and beyond, until then no thanks.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    SEANMCAD said:
    In two weeks I have been in VR gaming for 24 hours total and I say yes
    I suspect you have been in VR for a couple of years now, 24 hours of VR gaming must seem like a drop in the ocean.
  • IwillsoloIwillsolo Member CommonPosts: 1
    Yes, it would be awesome experience 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mr. Data will you accompany me to the holodeck?
    Sorry sir we just have these helmet devices. 
    Ah in that case ...
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I would like to see a VRMMORPG within five years, for personal reasons.

I'm an older guy, next year I can start drawing from my 401K.  25 years ago, I had cancer and they had to gut me to get rid of it.  I am cancer free, but my doctor told me that what they did shortened my lifespan.  So at most I probably have about 20 years left.

I would really like to get into one of these games before that.  And I would like to try a variety of them if possible.  If it takes over 10 years to develop, well, I may not see more than one or two.

I know we won't see NervSteel helmets in my lifetime, but I bet they can still come up with something pretty cool in the next few years!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    It would have to be a lot better VR than what we have now to interest me.

Also the game would have to good, if the only thing it has going for it is that it's VR, I wouldn't play. :P
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • axleary2010axleary2010 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    You should read "Ready Player One." It's about a VR mmo that takes over the world as the Earth's energy sources and economy collapse, where literally your wealth in the game is your wealth in real-life. This VR mmo becomes your classroom for school and your job that pays you in-game currency. Things in the real world are bought with this in-game currency.

Really interesting read.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    edited July 2016
    VR has a lot of promise in a lot of areas of gaming. However, at the moment, there are few games that really share the VR space with traditional games. Most VR experiences are set-piece affairs that do not let you really move about as freely as many traditional games do. That is to say that while you can move in most VR games, you are limited in that movement by pushing a button on a controller to "teleport" or to the limited area set up as your play area in which you can actually physically move your body.

Frankly, when they start to use a more traditional approach to VR movement say with a keyboard/mouse and stop relying on the "teleportation" method of moving, more VR games will take off. Until then, VR will be niche and will not get the mainstream support of gamers it needs to survive.

Most of my experience with VR has been with the HTC Vive. Most of the games I have played are just demos more then they are true games. There is expectation that more games like say Elite Dangerous, Minecraft (which it has now a bit) and some others down the road will  take up a more traditional movement route.

Let's party like it is 1863!