Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soft launch and no one cares?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Wow, SotA soft-launches by ending wipes and no one cares.  The official forums and the forums here are dead.  Wait, I know:  Everyone is too busy playing to talk, right?  Yeah, this game has "success" written all over it.

Comments

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Ah yes...There was a game called SotA long long before in a far far galaxy.
    I care SotA as much as i care Mr.Garriott' nice and soft poop after a good day's feast in sake of his juicy bank account.
    MMmm...Yes i care.

beLIEve

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Wow, SotA soft-launches by ending wipes and no one cares.  The official forums and the forums here are dead.  Wait, I know:  Everyone is too busy playing to talk, right?  Yeah, this game has "success" written all over it.
    I have to say, this game has me feeling like everyone thought a fish's memory was like. I see a post about it, quickly forget it exists, then I see another post about it, "oh right, that's a thing", finish the post and quickly forget it exists again, etc. 

There's just something about it that I guess I'm subconsciously avoiding.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    There isn't much of a game at the moment. 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I remember getting into alpha long ago.  The game was just too "old school" for me.  The map, traveling, inventory, and the UI in general, just felt inconvenient and unnecessary.  The graphics look great, but everything else feels like a game circa 1999.  Sounded great in theory, through nostalgic lenses, but in practice, the novelty wears off fast.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I know that, for some, this isn't a factor, but honestly this game looks like it was made 15 years ago.  You'd think someone like Garriott would have the pull and ability to make a modern looking MMO for a modern time.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I got some great discount deal/code or something.. so I got the first 3 "Episodes" for something like $35..
    Of course.. there may never BE 3 episodes... but figured it was worth a flier on good ol' Lord British and Lord Blackthorn

May have to update it and see how it plays.  Probably been over a year since I peaked.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Lol, I quit when they made it peer to peer. And tried to charge 10000 for a basement haha. Deleted it from my steam. 
    H0urg1ass said:
    I know that, for some, this isn't a factor, but honestly this game looks like it was made 15 years ago.  You'd think someone like Garriott would have the pull and ability to make a modern looking MMO for a modern time.
    This is what happens when people are trapped in their own bubbles for too long.  It happens with artists that never try photoshop or a digital medium, or musicians who refuse to use any digital software.  They never adapt to modern styles of creation.
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    The game is junk, that is why no one is talking about it.  Everything is overpriced.  The only PVP is if both players are flagged.  It is still full of bugs, one being a known issue with it crashing when it tries to load the character creator...makes you try to load it like 3-7 times to get it to work.  There is not a large world map like other mmo's.  There is a bunch of zone connected by zone selector type character screen ( Like Super Mario 3 where your character picks the zone, then you do the level inside)
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    SoTA was designed to be a game that is similar to the old Ultima games. You have the overland map travel like old Ultimas and such.  The art and animations have been getting better. But this also is not the games launch.  This was simply the last wipe (atleast expected wipe, they can still wipe inventory, skills or what have you if its needed to keep the game going).  The games launch is not scheduled tell November or somewhere around there.  Graphics have been getting better. Hopefully new animations make it in before release. Would be a nice addition.

As far as population goes. There are ALOT of people ingame. Excactly how many is hard to say but the starter town even with instances and a cap had alot of people (by SOTAs standards) in it 40+ atleast in the instance I was in.

But yes if your looking for next gen graphics then this is NOT the game for you. This is a throw back to the old Ultima days where graphics took a back seat to loads of gameplay.
    ManWithNoTan
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    The game is getting just the attention it deserves.

Garriot got stuck in the 90s and probably thought that if the "Lord" calls players would join in droves.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Volgore said:

Garriot got stuck in the 90s and probably thought that if the "Lord" calls players would join in droves.
    The "Lord" even act as far as spills his own blood for the sake of the game. He looks more like a preacher from satanical cult than a game developer lol...

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I consider it more of a money grab then a game.  Good luck to those that are willing to give it a go. 
    Howry said:
    I consider it more of a money grab then a game.  Good luck to those that are willing to give it a go. 
    Well I didn't have any luck lol, I gave them 40 bucks like a year ago, found out within like a day that it was going to be peer to peer and lagged me like hell, cause my internet sucks, and tried to get a refund, and they ran me around for like 5 hours, and i said damn if 40 bucks means that much to you keep it lol. 
    Volgore said:

The "Lord" even act as far as spills his own blood for the sake of the game. He looks more like a preacher from satanical cult than a game developer lol...
    hahaha that is a good one. 
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    After I saw what this guy did with Tabula Rasa I wanted nothing to do with anything he was involved with. These old guys need to just retire and give it up already. They keep making the same junk that everyone has been tired of for a decade. Crowdfunding has allowed them all to basically leech money off of people based on their past successes but none of them have produced anything. Tabula Rasa, Firefall, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, I could go on forever listing games made these titans of the gaming industry that totally sucked. Soon you can add SOTA and Star Citizen to that esteemed list. I'm not donating to any of these paid retirement scams. If these brilliant game designers can't get investor funding for their brilliant ideas then why should I give them money just to hope they make something good? 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    game still needs alot of help.  Lord British has failed again.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    observer said:
    I remember getting into alpha long ago.  The game was just too "old school" for me.  The map, traveling, inventory, and the UI in general, just felt inconvenient and unnecessary.  The graphics look great, but everything else feels like a game circa 1999.  Sounded great in theory, through nostalgic lenses, but in practice, the novelty wears off fast.

Investors and supporters wanted only retread, kludgy Ultima style stuff.  So that's what they aimed at.  The game was done on a budget equal to  just 3 months of Star Citizen's outlay.   It's not going to be AAA.
    ManWithNoTan

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, speaking for myself, I certainly didn't care. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

observer said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    This is what happens when people are trapped in their own bubbles for too long.  It happens with artists that never try photoshop or a digital medium, or musicians who refuse to use any digital software.  They never adapt to modern styles of creation.

Mixing up the medium for  the message.  Modern music creation only makes things easier to do, it doesn't suddenly make the mediocre great. 

Though Garriott was always pretty airy headed, and was the worst of the Origin project managers.  That's why he now drags Starr Long from project to project.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited July 2016
    Tokken said:

Didnt know he ever succeeded ? The only reason UO even worked when it first came out was because it was the only game lol. It was a utter failure, and people had to change the whole design of it, to make it last as long as it has. I think i remember reading he took all the money from Tabusla or what ever its called and went into space, but that game failed as well. The only reason I donated 40 bucks, was because I thought it might be a fun, till he made it peer to peer, cause apparently he was to cheap to run servers. 

Though that is if your looking at it from purely a gaming perspective, if you look at his master skills in the art of stealing peoples money with trash, and getting away with it he didn't fail at that. I remember when i followed it for the 2 days i did lol, some one actually bought the 10000 dollar in game castle ahahahahahahah. So i mean you can't say he failed on that one. You gotta be one evil, sly bastard to convince some one to spend 10 grand on a fantasy castle for a game that may never come out. Key word there being game too haha. I mean I can say I am guilty of spending way to much money on video games, one time I spent like a grand on UO, but I had a bunch of fun in the game, and I sold it all for like 900 bucks, so it was all worth it. I seriously seriously seriously seriously, did i say seriously doubt, the person who dumped 10 grand for the fantasy castle will ever be able to sell it for anything. Maybe if hes evil to, and convinces some other sucker, that the game is bad ass and gets him to buy it. 

Btw very nice saying on the bottom of your posts. 
    Tokken said:

Didnt know he ever succeeded ? The only reason UO even worked when it first came out was because it was the only game lol. It was a utter failure, and people had to change the whole design of it, to make it last as long as it has. I think i remember reading he took all the money from Tabusla or what ever its called and went into space, but that game failed as well. The only reason I donated 40 bucks, was because I thought it might be a fun, till he made it peer to peer, cause apparently he was to cheap to run servers. 

Though that is if your looking at it from purely a gaming perspective, if you look at his master skills in the art of stealing peoples money with trash, and getting away with it he didn't fail at that. I remember when i followed it for the 2 days i did lol, some one actually bought the 10000 dollar in game castle ahahahahahahah. So i mean you can't say he failed on that one. You gotta be one evil, sly bastard to convince some one to spend 10 grand on a fantasy castle for a game that may never come out. Key word there being game too haha. I mean I can say I am guilty of spending way to much money on video games, one time I spent like a grand on UO, but I had a bunch of fun in the game, and I sold it all for like 900 bucks, so it was all worth it. I seriously seriously seriously seriously, did i say seriously doubt, the person who dumped 10 grand for the fantasy castle will ever be able to sell it for anything. Maybe if hes evil to, and convinces some other sucker, that the game is bad ass and gets him to buy it. 

Garriott has a lot of problems as a game designer, but this screed is pretty bogus.  You don't need to cite made up stories to give him flack.

edited July 2016
    Tokken said:

Garriott has a lot of problems as a game designer, but this screed is pretty bogus.  You don't need to cite made up stories to give him flack.
    To my knowledge I didn't make up anything. The last I played the game was peer 2 peer meaning it leaches peoples upload to host it. Uo did fail, which is why they had to add Tram, and the millions of other changes they added. Now there are only like 300 or so people interested in UO the way it was when he made it. The only one I am un sure of, is the space thing I just heard it never checked on it, which i said. 

As for that 10000 dollar castle, i am sure if you go to the page you will find out for your self that he sold one of those castles, there were only 2 if I remember. So please tell me what I made up. As for spending a grand on Uo I didn't make that up either, you can to this day easily spend a grand on UO, and still make your money back. I just sold a UO account I played for about 2 months, for 70 bucks. So again what the hell are you talking about? The guys signature about a warrior being like steel, when they lose temper they both are useless, well that is truth to? Did you smoke something before reading that comment lol. 

Well a quick search found he did go to space in On October 12, 2008, and tabula rasa was released in 2007. so once again yep sounds like he took the money from a failed game, went to space instead of re investing it to make the game work. So again you smoke something before you read my post?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Tokken said:

He really was a one trick pony. All the Ultimas were just cookie-cutter versions of each other and UO was just an online version of the same cookie. 

It happens. Some charlatans are really good at what they do and some people are just too starry-eyed and stupid to figure it out.

Once the game fails - and it will - the crying will be deafening and the drama epic. Better stock up on popcorn starting now. 

observer said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Mixing up the medium for  the message.  Modern music creation only makes things easier to do, it doesn't suddenly make the mediocre great. 

Though Garriott was always pretty airy headed, and was the worst of the Origin project managers.  That's why he now drags Starr Long from project to project.

Somewhat true, but modern technology also creates new sounds, and we now have synth music because of it.  Everything was basically acoustic before the 20th century.  New concepts, designs, and tools are always evolving, and not just in music, but also in painting/drawing, game design, and other categories of design and the arts.