Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About a New Monitor

crimson8kcrimson8k Member UncommonPosts: 14
This is my current setup.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU AMD FX-8350

RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard Gigabyte 970A-UD3P)

Hanns.G HG281 ¸+ (1920x1200@60Hz)
DELL 2005FPW (1680x1050@60Hz)

3072MB ATI ASUS R9 280 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage 238GB Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 (SSD)

Optical DrivesASUS DRW-2014L1T

PSU xfx ts 550w

I need to replace my HannsG as my main monitor. 1920x1080p at 144hz on a 24" screen is what I'm looking at. I'm looking at the Nixeus NX-VUE24B . This will mostly be for gaming, and I've been playing a lot of overwatch lately. So I thought a 144hz monitor would be the way to go. I will be upgrading my GPU to an RX 480 as soon as the prices are back to normal. I'm just wondering if the monitor will be overkill for my setup? 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    It's a question of priorities.  If your goal is to get the display latency as low as possible and have smooth animations, you've got the right idea.  Image quality on a TN monitor isn't going to be great, though, and losing those 120 pixels of vertical resolution will likely hurt more than you think.

If the goal is to get good image quality, and you're willing to accept display latency likely worse than what you have now, you should be looking at an IPS monitor instead.  On your budget, you're probably still looking at 1080p, and again, losing that vertical resolution will hurt.

And if you don't want to have to choose between either of those drawbacks, your budget is too small by about $300 or so.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited July 2016
    Pretty much every time i encountered someone speaking about that Nixeus they only had good things to say about it. Image quality is not as good as IPS monitor but if you like faster paced games (like overwtach) TN with 144 Hz is a way to go.
    Post edited by Malabooga on
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I would go for this one instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236721
    A few extra inches and better resolution for about not that much more money. A good monitor is worth a bit more and there are plenty of good 27" 2K & 4K screens.

The disadvantage is that it only have 75hz instead of 144hz so if you use Nvidia 3D vision glasses it wont work, otherwise I at least can't really see any difference.

There is also this slightly cheaper ($250) screen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009969 with just 60 hz, I use a similar Dell screen and it is a huge difference compared to a 1080P screen.

Both those are 2K (2560x1440). There are also a few 4K but that really makes little difference until you hit 30".

There is also this 144hz screen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769 but then we are talking about $380 which is a bit pricey, particularly if you doesn't have to have 144hz for a specific reason. The 1m/s all of them have do matter however, or at least I can notice the difference if it drops over 4 m/s. I can honestly not see any difference between 60hz and 144hz on a normal size screen (might matter for 30" or more, not sure since I rarely use that large screens).

Anyways, a good screen will last you longer then anything else on your computer, possibly besides the PSU and you will be staring at it all the time so selecting the right one is very important, particularly for us gamers so don't hurry the decision.

Good luck. :)
    edited July 2016
    None of those have Freesync.

24 inch+144 Hz + Freesync > 27 inch + 60 Hz, escpecially for competitive play
    Post edited by Malabooga on
    Malabooga said:
    None of those have Freesync.
    Actually, the last one have (theAcer XG270HU 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD HDMI DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync (Free Sync) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor Edge-to-Edge Frameless Design, 350 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers) for $380. 

A great price for a great screen but it might be a bit more then OP want to pay.
    edited July 2016
    Yup, thats the problem, quality gaming beyond 1080p gets very cost prohibitive, double money for monitor and double-triple money for GPU (you have to reach way beyond best performance/price segment) to have similar experience on a bit bigger screen.
    edited July 2016
    Bugged out...
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    lol I was about to post the same exact monitor. The Acer XG270HU. The jump from 24" to 27" is massive. I would much rather move up in size than up in refresh rate. Most people cannot see past 60hz, and sometimes I think "pro" games who espouse the need for 144hz are exaggerating. With a 27" monitor you should also be looking at 1440 px instead of 1080. I would suggest getting a good 27" 1440 60hz monitor before a 24" 1080 144hz monitor balancing in budget, but that is just me.
    edited July 2016
    Sorry about the last post, got totally bugged (feel free to remove it any admin).

Anyways, Malas prices are right for 4K+ but 2K is somewhat cheaper even though it still is an increase. The screen go up from $235 to $380 and you do need a slightly better GFX card to run as good but I think personally that it is worth it.

Also, the $380 screen have another great advantage: better back lightning. That will make all colors far better and actually makes things look pretty awesome. 300 to 350 doesn't sound much but it is a rather big deal.
  • crimson8kcrimson8k Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to stick with the monitor I listed for the time being. I would like to get a bigger monitor at some point, but I feel like it might be outside of my budget right now.  I like to run 2 monitors, so I'll probably get another one around the holidays.

One more question. Will an rx 480 be able to handle newer games at 2560x1440?

crimson8k said:
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to stick with the monitor I listed for the time being. I would like to get a bigger monitor at some point, but I feel like it might be outside of my budget right now.  I like to run 2 monitors, so I'll probably get another one around the holidays.

One more question. Will an rx 480 be able to handle newer games at 2560x1440?

Yes, you would get a slight decrease from a single 1080p screen but it will be far better performance then running 2 screens.
    You guys have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for all the great info guys.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited July 2016
    4K is still not supported by a good chunk of software I am using. The UI is simply not optimised - this is true for well established software like Adobe or 3dMax.

4K (and sometimes 2K) also struggles on my GTX970. 4K is flawless for reading text, but still a bit too much for gaming on the last generation GFX cards.

For those reasons, I personally think it is not a mistake to go for lower resolution, with better build quality or refresh rate.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    My only advice regarding mointors:

Go look at them in person. Don't trust what anyone says online (especially the manufacturer).

If it looks good to you, and it does everything you want it to do, then it's a good monitor.
    edited July 2016
    Ridelynn said:

Go look at them in person. Don't trust what anyone says online (especially the manufacturer).

If it looks good to you, and it does everything you want it to do, then it's a good monitor.

Unfortunately, the only options I have for that are office stores and a Best Buy. I did check out Best Buy, but all of their monitors looked terrible. Not sure if the settings were responsible, or if it was the quality of the monitors themselves.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Ridelynn said:

Great advice and well said.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Best Buy is a bit limited. 144Hz may be tough if you don't have something like a Fry's nearby, or a college where you know people who have Dad's money to spend.

Past that, make sure wherever you buy from has a good return policy on monitors. Some have specific exclusions on monitors, and even if you love the monitor, you want to make sure your covered on something like dead pixels or bad backbleed.