Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Can't You Find A Game?

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited July 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Well, I'm fortunate that I enjoy playing EVE, because outside of that one title not a lot else out there currently is of interest.

If I am lucky perhaps one or two indie titles underway may come through one day.

But there really are few good choices for players who favor certain game designs and it's not their fault they aren't really available.

Nor should they have to settle for titles they don't enjoy.

As once was said in a movie...."we will not go quietly into the night"  ;)
    Actually the lines are:
    Do not go gentle into that goodnight,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

It is a poem by Dylan Thomas https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/do-not-go-gentle-good-night
    No, actually it was "President" Thomas J. Whitmore in the movie "Independence Day" I was quoting.  ;)

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!"
    ROFLMAO so you were "quoting" a U.S. actor mouthing the lines a U.S. writer ripped off from a famous and highly regarded Welsh poet.

Too funny, reminds me of something I read decades ago:

"I don't know why this Shakespeare fella is so famous, all he did was string a few well known quotes together"
    Come to think of it that was attributed to a couple of old ladies in the U.S. muttering to each other in a theatre.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited July 2016
    so many beta game, no full release game. gg 2016
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Well, I'm fortunate that I enjoy playing EVE, because outside of that one title not a lot else out there currently is of interest.

If I am lucky perhaps one or two indie titles underway may come through one day.

But there really are few good choices for players who favor certain game designs and it's not their fault they aren't really available.

Actually the lines are:

It is a poem by Dylan Thomas https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/do-not-go-gentle-good-night
    No, actually it was "President" Thomas J. Whitmore in the movie "Independence Day" I was quoting.  ;)

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!"
    ROFLMAO so you were "quoting" a U.S. actor mouthing the lines a U.S. writer ripped off from a famous and highly regarded Welsh poet.

"I don't know why this Shakespeare fella is so famous, all he did was string a few well known quotes together"
    Come to think of it that was attributed to a couple of old ladies in the U.S. muttering to each other in a theatre.
    If you would have ever seen the movie you would understand.

But that other quote is pretty good too. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

I did see the movie, a long time ago. As I remember it I thought the speech was corny and mawkish.
    'That other quote' is the original verse. This is an example of cultural appropriation or plagiarism take your pick.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    I did see the movie, a long time ago. As I remember it I thought the speech was corny and mawkish.
    'That other quote' is the original verse. This is an example of cultural appropriation or plagiarism take your pick.
    Why do you feel this is worth bringing up?

Unless you're going to try to deny Kyleran's claim that it was "said in a movie", who cares what it was inspired by or how heavily it was inspired by it?

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

Well if it's any consolation to you, Interstellar covered "the original" though I really don't see the similarity.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

That was one of the most cringworthy movie speeches ever.

Basic premise where ALL alien invasion movies fail 

Aliens show up, they are hostile - game over for humanity, roll the credits

A superior technically  advanced hostile alien race that's advanced enough to travel to our planet (while we haven't even landed on mars let alone left our solar system lol)  - it's game over, we would be like cockroaches to them, pesky but zero threat.

Aliens show up - we are boned period. Hope they are friendly 
    I read a book nearly two decades ago called Rare Earth, and it really opened my eyes to how incredibly unique the planet Earth really is.  The chance for another complex life form existing, even in our own galaxy, is stupendously low.  Even if there is, then the chances of it being a complex life form with sentience, the ability to travel through space faster than light... yadda yadda makes the chance of us ever seeing another sentient being before our sun dies and burns us all alive, infinitely minimal.

But it does make for good sci-fi!
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited July 2016
    Axehilt said:
    Why do you feel this is worth bringing up?

Unless you're going to try to deny Kyleran's claim that it was "said in a movie", who cares what it was inspired by or how heavily it was inspired by it?
    Source material shapes the resulting concept and scope. If something is inspired by the backdrop of Alien for example, we can expect that the results are going to go for the dark lighted and "lurking terror" atmosphere that it capitalized on.

If it draws on a specific speech or poem for inspiration, you can expect that there are certain parallels drawn in the context to the source (such as in independence day using the unspoken component of "rage against the dying of the light" in context to Mr Quaid flying his jet straight through the beam of light to destroy the ship.

It informs the concept and design of the product, for better or worse, and subsequently the version of something and meaning derived from it can have quite a lot of bearing on the user experience.

As it applies to the conversation it's from, it was a tangent to begin with. Bringing any of this up at all was pointless before you even added your own conjecture (as I am aware too of the implication for my own statement).

As it applies to the actual thread topic, it would be in part the statement Ky made of not going quietly. The point there being that there's no reason people should settle for a design that does not deliver the desired product.

Is there the "perfect product" out there? No. Will there ever be? No. However, that's not a reason to settle for something sub-standard or that does not offer content which is of interest to the user. That there are more games now than ever before, yet a perpetual complaint that so many facets are neglected, that's a dichotomy that should ha been absolved by now.

Instead studios are chasing each others tails to the detriment of variety and to the detriment of their own profit, seeing as we're already in the predicament of getting progressively closer to only one in ten thousand applications turning a profit in our most profitable marketplace.
    Post edited by Deivos on

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    H0urg1ass said: But it does make for good sci-fi!
    More like bad sci-fi...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

A superior technically  advanced hostile alien race that's advanced enough to travel to our planet (while we haven't even landed on mars let alone left our solar system lol)  - it's game over, we would be like cockroaches to them, pesky but zero threat.

Maybe, maybe not.  If someone made a discovery that allowed fast travel now would we automatically be overly dominate? 
  • Sal0815Sal0815 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @blueturtle13

I couldn't agree more, being someone who had to step away from MMO's. I used to thoroughly enjoy them early on only because I liked the aspect of playing with other people. It took me some time to realise that I actually didnt enjoy the games itself but playing with people. I've also been one of those peeps who raged at the "genre" going to shit when it really isnt. It is what it is and it's not everyone's cup of tea. Altho I'd have to say that there is a definite deterioration in the whole gaming industry, not just MMO's. Introduction of microtransactions, releasing unfinished games etc. I remember when people laughed at the thought of pre-paying a game before it's release and today it's standart practise. Anyway I'm going off topic...

There's plenty of multiplayer games to play with other people other than MMORPG'S. And also great single player games. There are so many bloody games out there instead of stubbornly raging at it "Y IS THIS NOT GUD ANYMORE?!" just turn around, walk away, and pick something up that you do enjoy. Also all this raging isn't good for you own wellbeing I reckon (I'm using "you" in a general term, just to clarify)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    H0urg1ass said:
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

I read a book nearly two decades ago called Rare Earth, and it really opened my eyes to how incredibly unique the planet Earth really is.  The chance for another complex life form existing, even in our own galaxy, is stupendously low.  Even if there is, then the chances of it being a complex life form with sentience, the ability to travel through space faster than light... yadda yadda makes the chance of us ever seeing another sentient being before our sun dies and burns us all alive, infinitely minimal.

But it does make for good sci-fi!
    There out there , i know this to be true .. Some post on this site :)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I went through this situation awhile back.  ESO just came out and I was hopeful.  I was disappointed in the game and I had placed so many hopeful expectations onto ESO, that I wound up increasing expectations for every game I played.  I became critical, probably unfairly, to other games.  Eventually I found a pc game I liked, stayed with and finished.  I did go back and re-evaluate some of the games I tried back then. Tera, STO, Allodds, and Vindictus.  With the exception of STO, I judged them to harshly and found they were decent games.  STO was still pretty awful though.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the lines are:

At least To Serve Man they came to help us.  :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't need a perfect game,i just need BETTER than what i call crap effort game design.
    I could accept mediocre back years ago because tech was new,the genre was still in a learning phase.However now seems every single wannabe developer is making a MMO with a limited budget,Sure once again that was ok years ago,but now we have already seen all that and played that until, our eyes bleed.We want something more innovative and a game structure that looks well thought out with good effort.

Most MMO's i see of late,i could never give them a 5 or 6/10,they look rushed and VERY simple designs,just more of the same old but LESS of it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bsukalabsukala Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I am lucky that I found an MMORPG that I enjoy. FFXIV will hold me over for quite some time. I have COE and Pantheon on my radar, but right now I am content. 
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    waynejr2 said:
    Xodic said:
    I understand and even agree with the message to an extent, but this is a forum. It's a place that promotes discussion from a variety of different views. If everyone that was upset with the current state of things stepped away, then these forums would essentially just be a place to pat each other on the back in agreeance. I think I know of what instances you are referring to and even if the views aren't always presented in a tactful way, it's our option to read them.

I guess in way, I would encourage people to just post what ever is on their minds - even you blueturtle   =)

Why couldn't it be a place to discuss new things instead of what we have here now?  That is a pretty limited spin you are putting on it. 
    What is "new" can be discussed?

VG

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    Xodic said:
    I understand and even agree with the message to an extent, but this is a forum. It's a place that promotes discussion from a variety of different views. If everyone that was upset with the current state of things stepped away, then these forums would essentially just be a place to pat each other on the back in agreeance. I think I know of what instances you are referring to and even if the views aren't always presented in a tactful way, it's our option to read them.

I guess in way, I would encourage people to just post what ever is on their minds - even you blueturtle   =)

Why couldn't it be a place to discuss new things instead of what we have here now?  That is a pretty limited spin you are putting on it. 

If there is nothing new to discuss, the forum should be shutdown.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Xodic said:

If there is nothing new to discuss, the forum should be shutdown.
    There are lots of new games, no doubt.  But they are so similar with little "new" to offer, what are we left with?

VR can be discussed in 3 or 4 threads.  Other than that, we are inundated with formulaic MMOs.  The same formula.

I guess Kickstarters could take a few threads.  And they will wither and die as we a wait the 5 or 6 years for them to get to alpha/beta and then start selling access.

VG

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    The game doesn't exist because developers have gotten lazy and they are cranking out the same old "This game will finally draw in the WoW players" junk thinking they will be the next big thing. For me, SWG was the perfect MMO and I continue to search for something that holds my attention for more than a month. Crafting is my favorite part of an MMO and it is always an afterthought in today's games. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Thorkune said:
    The game doesn't exist because developers have gotten lazy and they are cranking out the same old "This game will finally draw in the WoW players" junk thinking they will be the next big thing. For me, SWG was the perfect MMO and I continue to search for something that holds my attention for more than a month. Crafting is my favorite part of an MMO and it is always an afterthought in today's games. 

It's not that their lazy, just cheap backers to make quick games !

Statistics show " players will play everything " their just capitalizing on this !

The reason crafting is shot is because you out level everything crafted, since games are made for only 30 days, why craft ?....No community, and no one wants your stuff.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Devs are still running after the masses for cash.  Rather than targeting specific audiences and then creating a game that makes them want to stay in the game as long as possible, they create games that has something for everyone and will get them the boxes sold in the first 2 months so they can put it on maintenance mode and start the new project.

Until the players take their heads out of their asses, it won't change.  Once games start releasing to no hype and die because they are just a constant stream of mediocre games that are just after the money, then we will see changes.

Indie's are our best hope until then because thats where the people that actually care about the genre are at and creating games they and specific audiences want to see.  Rather than the devs with the AAA studio's that are just making games for the $$.