Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else waiting for an "SAO - Aincrad" style of MMORPG with floors etc.?

ParadokzzParadokzz Member UncommonPosts: 2
edited July 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Comments

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I am quite surprised they have not done an SAO MMO yet, but then again I can already tell they would make it cheesy.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    But it's been done as a zone/dungeon already.

But having an entire game be like that would get old IMO
    I am with you on that, railroading the entire game would not be a great idea. We already have too much railroading and we don't need more.

Give me a "Log Horizon" MMO instead of a SAO.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The premise of the anime was that if you died, it was game over.  That is what gave it appeal.  Also, no player used magic.  Take away perma-death and add magic abilities, and you have Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization, which will be on PS4 and PS VITA for NA/EU this fall according to Bandai-NAMCO.

This will be a game I will be buying after I get my PS4 Neo Octoberish.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    So Mabinogi...  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am on the same boat as most others.Yes it is ok as a zone but not an entire game that would then NOT be an mmorpg but simply a gimmick.
    I do NOT what so ever like games that just toss ideas in for the sake of content.I want the rpg to be a ROLE and you play that role as would be expected in a certain world/age,i would never consider a plausible role that someone would fight alla floors sort of like some matrix for an entire eternity in a game world.

That is what many seem to forget,is that these are SUPPOSE to be worlds not just random gimmicks of content to complete for levels and loot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    That anime was some of the worst drek produced in the history of Japan. If you're going to model an MMO around Manga/Anime, use Log Horizon.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:

I am with you on that, railroading the entire game would not be a great idea. We already have too much railroading and we don't need more.

What if, and this is a big if, I made an mmoRPG where everyone was on a train?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    That anime was some of the worst drek produced in the history of Japan. If you're going to model an MMO around Manga/Anime, use Log Horizon.
    getting ganked.

I have no f'ing clue as to what I just watched but I loved that!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    getting ganked.

Incredibly dumb. The entire premise of the series is that he's the strongest character in the game - he's basically a god. It saps all encounters of any and all peril. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2016
    DMKano said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Loke666 said:
    DMKano said:

What if, and this is a big if, I made an mmoRPG where everyone was on a train?

Put some snakes on that train and you might have something
    Dont forget Samuel L. Jackson....wait are we making a game or a movie?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I like SAO, and the single player games on the playstation I enjoy.

I could see an SAO-themed MMO doing well and being fun.

But a strict SAO MMO, it would be pretty antiquated by today's standards
    edited July 2016
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    getting ganked.

Incredibly dumb. The entire premise of the series is that he's the strongest character in the game - he's basically a god. It saps all encounters of any and all peril. 
    spoiler alert: he gets killed by the last boss.
    He also solos the entire game. In an MMO.

And he self-resurrects when killed. How is that not God-mode? Every other player permadies, and he wills himself back to life. 
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    im not sure about sao mmorpg... but a mmorpg where you need reach the highest floor would be nice, diablo 1 was fun because you could alway loss everything before teleport...a mmorpg with this system would be amazing, would be a mix bethen full loot and casual , also you make the games realy hard in lastest level so peoples need raid to clear floor ( kinda like sao for this part ) honestly im sure it would be fun, but it need to be hard and not easy mode.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    Robokapp said:
    Lleith said:
    Robokapp said:

spoiler alert: he gets killed by the last boss.
    He also solos the entire game. In an MMO.

And he self-resurrects when killed. How is that not God-mode? Every other player permadies, and he wills himself back to life. 
    There's always a few players soloing in MMOs...he says it himself at one point that monster attack patterns are changing and he's approaching the end of his soloing ability.

As anime, SAo is poor, I agree.

But as Anime about MMO gameplay it captures it well.
    I think you watched it wrong.
    And here I watched it for the waifus.. to think I was watching it wrong too
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I like the idea, but i would rather see a Hunter X Hunter inspired MMO :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Robokapp said:
    [...] I think most people watched SAO to see what it'd be like to be trapped inside a permadeath MMO, not for the raw action or storyline. 
    I think that's the main issue with the SAO threads, that most people watched it instead of reading :wink:  not saying it's bad, it's a pretty cool anime adaptation (and much better imo, than dumping a huge log on the horizon... :lol: )

For the question, I voted No, I think with the playerbase and mentality of today it simply wouldn't work. Maybe back in the MUD era... (since the idea came from the time before the wow-ification of the genre anyways) but even back then I think it would've failed on the long run. Heck, it failed in SAO as well, wasn't played all to the end as designed, they short-cutted the grind (and with all the deaths, they most likely lacked the manpower for getting to the top anyways).
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    SAO was made by a guy who didn't even play MMORPGs. The game worlds he makes don't make a lot of sense 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Robokapp said:
    pantheron said:
    SAO was made by a guy who didn't even play MMORPGs. The game worlds he makes don't make a lot of sense 
    please ellaborate.
    The light novel author briefly played everquest then stopped when he realized how much time it would cost be a top player.  Then decided to write a story about what he thought top players did.  Or would do if they're trapped in a game reality with real death.

Log Horizon was written by an avid MMOer.   Though the story drifts towards "New World, Survive" type story telling as the world modifies itself closer to being the real world, because they're trapped in a psychic bubble/reality and humans thoughts/understandings are bleeding through to the reality.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Lleith said:
    To be fair, I feel like the first arc (first 14 episodes) was at least decent, with an interesting (though unrealistic) premise, a female character who was actually powerful and independent, and long-term expectations being cut short in a pleasantly surprising twist.  But yeah, everything afterwards was pretty awful.

In reply to OP, the series' core premises are sort of impossible to replicate in any fun way:
    • Permadeath isn't a mechanic most players want in their MMORPGs. It fails for three main reasons: (a) RPGs are about progression and permadeath destroys progression, (b) MMOs should support social play and permadeath means my dead friend can't play with me, and (c) permadeath is pointlessly excessive penalty, but games are supposed to be about fun and challenge.
    • The 100-floor win condition creates a rather abrupt and final end-point. While suited to single-player games with a definite end, MMORPGs tend to want to be designed in a way where there are always more things to do.
    To reconcile some of those problems we can draw inspiration from World of Tanks/Warships, and this shallow little web coop game I've been dabbling in called Die2Nite:
    • Worlds are created regularly.
    • They have a small population limit of ~200 players.
    • When a world fills, no new players can ever join it again.
    • Death is permanent, so players will gradually leave the world via death.
    • Significant short-form progression exists as players ascend towards the game's win condition: reach the 100th floor and beat the final boss.
    • A wave of Corruption crashes against the world each night, growing more powerful each time. The only way to defend against it is to craft progressively more powerful magical wards. This is a time-pressure mechanic intentionally designed to wipe worlds which have lost too many players to attrition.  It's also there for game depth, forcing players to split their attention between the two primary goals (survive the wave vs. keep progressing towards the final boss).
    • Worlds last a short time, probably less than a week on average.  You win or you die, then you join a new world.  (So there are always players entering new worlds to keep the cycle alive.)
    • Earn long-form progression (win or lose) based on your accomplishments. These would be a mix of playstyle unlocks like new classes (lateral progression), small bits of vertical progression (accelerates your early game, but is quickly dwarfed by short-form progression), and cosmetic stuff.
    This wouldn't fix all of the problems inherent in this type of game design, but at least it fixes some of them. 

I think the above is still imagined as a multi-day permadeath game, which still sounds like it has the worst aspect of permadeath (and that is: erasing more than 3 hours of progression).  The same system could be used in a much tighter game loop where you either beat the world or die in less than 3 hours (usually much quicker) and that would help permadeath not be so crappy, but would also work against the potentially interesting social aspects of playing in the same server with the same people for at least a few days.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    To be fair, I feel like the first arc (first 14 episodes) was at least decent, with an interesting (though unrealistic) premise, a female character who was actually powerful and independent, and long-term expectations being cut short in a pleasantly surprising twist.  But yeah, everything afterwards was pretty awful.

This I can agree with.  I did like the Gun MMORPG.  Now that would be more interesting.  

I think a perm death MMORPG could work like SOA.