Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or is FPS extremely low?

13»

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Reading over the thread again amused me.

Helpful voices in July:
    The game mostly uses the CPU not the GPU. Try to close some background programs to improve your framerate.

OP in November.
    Ok I did some testing and found out that the game uses the CPU more than the GPU.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited November 2016
    A hyper threading CPU helps with the game. Also, your connection is important, less latency, better frame rate.

Remember, ping in game is measured as the complete route of information - meaning you input, goes to server, and comes back. Higher ping, means lower frame rate also.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I did a test and played Star Citizen again, since its pretty un-optimized, and VERY CPU extensive (and I believe GPU extensive as well). And I got 40-45 FPS average, dips to 32-34. That is vastly better than GW2, which isn't as CPU extensive as Star Citizen and definitely not even a fraction as hard on the system.

So I decided to do a lot of reading, and a lot of people are getting massive FPS issues across the board since one of the patches was released. I'm not the only with FPS issues in GW2. A lot of people said they had good FPS at release, but now its shitty FPS. Not everyone of course, but there seems to be a large portion of people with issues.

Definitely ArenaNets end, so they have to fix it. But strange not everyone is effected. The vast majority of people are on windows 8 and 10 (which seems to be a good sign its OS related), but a few reported on Windows 7 and a couple on XP as well. However, I had Windows 7 and my FPS was still very bad in GW2, but it wasn't bad at release. 

So one of the patches did something that crapped out FPS for a lot of people.

Well CS is DX11 or 12 and GW2 is DX 9. So, no matter how big your video card is, GW2, will only use so much.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

It's just a badly developed game engine.  This is the same issue that happens with Games like EverQuest and EverQuest II.  The engine is badly designed, such that it doesn't scale properly with hardware.  It's probably doing too much with the CPU and not offloading enough to the GPU.  It probably isn't utilizing multi-core processors very well, either.

I have the same issue.  The game runs fairly poorly.  Same with ESO and other games.  It seems to be a bigger issue with "smaller" game publishers than bigger ones.

No issues with Blizzard games, for example, but tons of issues from indies (i.e. the unplayable Path of Exile) and smaller developers.

GW2 was released in 2012, but they started developing it in 2007 and the game engine was likely one of the first things they finished.  This means the game is using an engine developed in the 2007-2009 era.  That's an eternity ago.  It simply hasn't aged well.

That is why newer, more intense games are running better.  The engines are simply superior, and scale better via more intelligent use of system resources (and taking into account the configuration of modern PC systems).
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Darksworm said:

It's just a badly developed game engine.  This is the same issue that happens with Games like EverQuest and EverQuest II.  The engine is badly designed, such that it doesn't scale properly with hardware.  It's probably doing too much with the CPU and not offloading enough to the GPU.  It probably isn't utilizing multi-core processors very well, either.

I have the same issue.  The game runs fairly poorly.  Same with ESO and other games.  It seems to be a bigger issue with "smaller" game publishers than bigger ones.

No issues with Blizzard games, for example, but tons of issues from indies (i.e. the unplayable Path of Exile) and smaller developers.

GW2 was released in 2012, but they started developing it in 2007 and the game engine was likely one of the first things they finished.  This means the game is using an engine developed in the 2007-2009 era.  That's an eternity ago.  It simply hasn't aged well.

That is why newer, more intense games are running better.  The engines are simply superior, and scale better via more intelligent use of system resources (and taking into account the configuration of modern PC systems).
    We are talking about MMORPGs with persistent worlds.
    That alone will make it much harder than a single player game.

And when you compare Blizzard MMORPG WoW (you can't compare any other game) you will see that a game like GW2 has much more scripts going on with moving NPCs and events.

Additionally GW2 has much more advance physics engine (or at least had since last time I played WoW during Cataclysm).

I know some things might have changed with WoW, but just the projectiles of dozens of players moving around with actual physical trajectories on an online game will take a toll on your PC.

And lets face it, the slow downs happen when you have a ton of players on. Otherwise any modern core i5 at around 4 GHz will perform very good. 

Also environment reacting to your skills/projectiles/you walking through will take a toll.

Massive multiplayer online games are demanding by the nature of being massive and persistent.
    They were possible because the physics of stuff like projectiles were non existent in those games.
    But once you start adding physics, NPCs with complex scripts, scripted events, environment that is affected by projectiles/players, you will pay a performance penalty.

At the time of GW2 release, GW2 was one of the most technically advanced MMORPGs in terms of physics engine.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders