Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone playing Otherland?

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
I was a bit surprised to notice, that Otherland doesn't have a section here in the forums. After all it's a playable recent (early access) MMORPG.

A trailer for the early access version can be found here: 

So far, my impression is mixed.

I've played it once the early access started, but haven't touched it for about 9 months or so. In the meantime, a lot of things can have changed obviously, so stuff I write is the version I played close to a year ago.

What I disliked:
- Quite generic in a number of ways.
- The combat seems somewhat static. A lot of abilities requite you to stop walking or stand still.
- Some parts of the game seem to have been about a great idea that hasn't been followed through entirely. Like, the bug world is described in the book as of gigantic proportions. That you can basically ride on a leaf and animals and everything are just gigantic. In the game, there are some mobs that look slightly larger, so you can recognize the world (apart from it being called that way in the quest descriptions and having the fitting characters), but I'd have expected there more.
- Lack of tutorials, popups and so on. This is mostly due to the early access part though, and maybe, since I played it, things have improved.
- First one company started developing the game, then the current one picked the game up and continued. It seems to me that companies buying the rights and tech of such games seem to be interested in mostly finishing the game asap in a half-assed way to make some quick money.

Neutral:
- Well, it's not an AAA MMORPG. That doesn't mean that it can't be fun. In some ways though, it seems that the funds are lacking to have it be really awesome in matters of design and graphics and effort in general.

Good:
- Based on the Otherland novel series by Tad Williams, which fits perfectly for an MMORPG.
- Graphics and audio is decent (albeit not awesome).
- Finally a MMORPG that is not yet again another anime-style or fantasy-nonsense.
- Game seems to be still have a dedicated developer team. The last larger update was in late June, adding, among other stuff, over 600 crafting recipes.
- The crafting stuff seems like it could be promising. You can somehow collect DNA or something from monsters you kill and then clone them to guard your housing zone, or something like that. Last time I played, that didn't really seem to work yet, but maybe by now it does.
- No 500$ founder packs nonsense. I really hate stuff like that. The early access costs close to 20 euro in the steam store, which seems acceptable.

So, the user reviews on Steam are mixed. My personal experience when the early access launched was mixed (few crashes, some lag but bearable, majore gripes a lack of tutorials and tooltips).

Is anybody here really playing it?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,950
    Played at the beginning of early access, got a refund. Bugs, bugs, and more bugs. To be expected of course, but the core game has to be at least serviceable to make dealing with them tolerable. 

Performance was hideous. Combat was bland, generic, and choppy. Graphics were merely acceptable. Starter zone reminded me of Anarchy Online during early beta. Controls were awkward. What little story existed made no sense. If I'm some kind of super-hacker, why the hell am I running around looking like a naked T-1000?

It might be better now, but I really don't care enough to check it out. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,971
    sigh.............. why Tad why ... why not Dragon Bone  Chair ....................
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Well, a later patch said that they completely revamped the crafting system. I guess I will give it another try these days. I have my doubts that I will suddenly play it more than, say, Hearthstone, DOTA2 or Stardew Valley, but who knows... Got to give them a chance.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)