Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon - Estimated Release 2017?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I doubt that I will apply for beta testing of this particular game. I mean, if for some unimaginable reason someone thought I was needed, sure I would help out as best I could. But otherwise to me, a major part of the joy of playing a game like this is to return to that moment of "oh wow" that I experienced when I first logged on in Everquest. I want to relive that in live as much as possible - to focus on the wonder and not on the flaws. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    Mendel said:
    How many people are going to treat an Alpha or Beta test as the game launch, that's what I wonder.   I feel that this is a real problem not only for Pantheon, but for any game in development.  Too many other games treat their various testing phases as a 'soft launch', and start charging players to access the non-finished product.  I don't think VR is intending to do this, and hope they resist becoming complacent once revenue starts rolling in.  Testing is testing, and I don't trust the players to actually treat a test phase as a test phase and not just 'playing'.   I haven't heard of VR's plans for server wipes, one of the signals I interpret as a delineation between the end of development and the launch of a finished product.
    Its old school testing. Wipes, targeted testing not all content open. It will not feel anything like a live game. 
    As long as they don't start "selling" the game or saying no more wipes should be all good.

Let's see a Kser MMORPG actually "release" and not go through an eternal "hell" of early access.
    Catibrie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited March 2017
    Mylan12 said:
    If I remember correctly vanguard went a year from the last alpha to release. Unless they are way further along that it appears then I guess at a 2018 release at the soonest.  Probably late 2018 to maybe early 2019 is most likely.
    If you can call what vanguard actually did "release". When SOE bought it from McQuaid's failed company, they had to spend several more months working on it before they shoveled it out the door, in an unfinished state, to recoup the purchase price. And THEN it was such a resource hog, up to 20% of the people that bought it could not get it to work. And that was on a ~$30 mil budget, with several more months work done by SOE prior to release. How some people are expecting this game to be so much better (magic maybe?), with far less money and far fewer programmers and testers is beyond me. For as much as some people liked the scope and gameplay Vanguard offered, on the technical side, it was about as bad as game could possibly be and still be sold.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Burntvet said:
    Mylan12 said:
    If I remember correctly vanguard went a year from the last alpha to release. Unless they are way further along that it appears then I guess at a 2018 release at the soonest.  Probably late 2018 to maybe early 2019 is most likely.
    If you can call what vanguard actually did "release". When SOE bought it from McQuaid's failed company, they had to spend several more months working on it before they shoveled it out the door, in an unfinished state, to recoup the purchase price. And THEN it was such a resource hog, up to 20% of the people that bought it could not get it to work. And that was on a ~$30 mil budget, with several more months work done by SOE prior to release. How some people are expecting this game to be so much better (magic maybe?), with far less money and far fewer programmers and testers is beyond me. For as much as some people liked the scope and gameplay Vanguard offered, on the technical side, it was about as bad as game could possibly be and still be sold.
    Vanguard was more fun and more stable to me in early beta than late beta and release. I think feature creep and trying to please the masses was a problem. As long as they keep Pantheon more focus and keep with a plan and spend the later stages polishing the game instead of adding new features then I think a stable playable game can and will be released.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited March 2017
    Mylan12 said:
    Burntvet said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Vanguard was more fun and more stable to me in early beta than late beta and release. I think feature creep and trying to please the masses was a problem. As long as they keep Pantheon more focus and keep with a plan and spend the later stages polishing the game instead of adding new features then I think a stable playable game can and will be released.
    That's why I've had a lot of questions about this game's development -- so far, they have built and polished the EQ1 mechanics, while all the special features are still to be added.  It would be very easy to polish the existing Pantheon and leave all the new, improved features on the drawing board.  I can easily believe that polishing what they have might make more financial sense than adding the planned features into the mix.

It's just too easy for me to see the scenario where VR pushes Pantheon out 'as is', and the features that would have made Pantheon unique will be left behind.  For me, that is a concern, and we'll end up with half the game promised, and a lot of disappointed players.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Mendel said:
    Mylan12 said:
    Burntvet said:
    Mylan12 said:
    That's why I've had a lot of questions about this game's development -- so far, they have built and polished the EQ1 mechanics, while all the special features are still to be added.  It would be very easy to polish the existing Pantheon and leave all the new, improved features on the drawing board.  I can easily believe that polishing what they have might make more financial sense than adding the planned features into the mix.

It's just too easy for me to see the scenario where VR pushes Pantheon out 'as is', and the features that would have made Pantheon unique will be left behind.  For me, that is a concern, and we'll end up with half the game promised, and a lot of disappointed players.
    Every game has its plan and what come out of testing is what the masses thinks is fun. Often changing the direction of games. I rather they stick to their core values and add modern twists to build on the game. Dropping features is not making a mistake. Sometimes things dont work as intended and its better to chop them off then drag them along. We will see in testing. I cant wait to be part of the feedback.
    Catibrie
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The game is coming along nicely but it is no where near a 2017 launch. The most recent vids still only have 1 race, 1 gender, 2 or 3 barebone classes, little to no armor/weapons/spell effects, limited animation, etc.

I'd put money on them delaying til 2018 with a vastly unpolished release that optimistically needed till 2019. I predict a plethora of MMO Unity woes and additional budget reality checks. Hopefully they manage to power through, i'll try it either way.
    I stand by my necro'd statement. Unity MMO woes will plague them, content will be hacksaw'd due to budget. Now I don't even think beta will happen in 2017, let alone launch.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Burntvet said:
    Mylan12 said:
    A combination of experience and working without the assumption that you will have tens of millions in investment money, could drastically change the way you develop a game.
    Catibrie

The game is coming along nicely but it is no where near a 2017 launch. The most recent vids still only have 1 race, 1 gender, 2 or 3 barebone classes, little to no armor/weapons/spell effects, limited animation, etc.

I'd put money on them delaying til 2018 with a vastly unpolished release that optimistically needed till 2019. I predict a plethora of MMO Unity woes and additional budget reality checks. Hopefully they manage to power through, i'll try it either way.
    I stand by my necro'd statement. Unity MMO woes will plague them, content will be hacksaw'd due to budget. Now I don't even think beta will happen in 2017, let alone launch.
     Pantheon FAQ

8.3 What are the approximate timeframes for Alpha, Beta, and commercial release?

There are many variables involved and developing a massively multiplayer game is not an easy thing to do. Our goal is to be in alpha and beta testing at some point during 2017. The launch date is to be determined. Important: these dates are not set in stone and subject to change

So beta likely, launch not likely. 

Catibrie
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Umm i am not trying to knock your preferences but STO....Champions,those are two god awful games.
    roflmao,but i notice you followed up with "but i can't think of any good game"..belee dat.

There are actually many a speed tutorial on mapping inside You tube using pre made,purchased assets.So going that route you can obviously whip a game out fast,but having to make all those textures and assets yourself would take a long time.
    Anyone remembers Everquest would know they rehashed the same icons for different gear,so loads of corner cutting.Same gear models were also used just changing the names.So it is possible to whip a game out,all depends what kind of quality you want to achieve.

Overall looking at this game, i don't have much of an opinion because really i don't know a lot about their team or their efforts.I am usually quite able to spot stuff because i know what i am looking at.I could spot EQNext a mile away and i was right,i called it long before it happened,i could even smell the entire business was hurting and called that Landmark was a fast needed cash grab.Point being i have not yet seen any red flags or concern about this game and that is a good thing.
    Catibrie

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I would be incredibly surprised if they allow it to slip into 2019.  I'm not saying the game will be 100% perfected or anything before then, but time is an enemy, particularly for Indie type studios.

I expect them to tap the second half of 2018 for release(in some form).
  • KxelemKxelem Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Q2 2018 is my call :P 
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    In one of their gameplay videos, didn't they mention they were hoping for Alpha late 2017?  I wouldn't expect this to launch for at least another year or two, at LEAST.   Take all the time they need.  If they learn from what happened with Vanguard, than they won't release it early(then again, it did sound like Sigil was getting pressure from investors and/or Microsoft at the time to release early) or, they'll at least release it in a better state than Vanguard(Even though I looooved Vanguard)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    My revised prediction is Christmas, 2018. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    This site didnt used t obe so infatuated wit hgames that arent even beta yet.....With the hundreds of MMOs out and available now, you'd think we would turn our attention to those, but with this industry its always what is coming instead of what is.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited March 2017
    This site didnt used t obe so infatuated wit hgames that arent even beta yet.....With the hundreds of MMOs out and available now, you'd think we would turn our attention to those, but with this industry its always what is coming instead of what is.
    I think you may be onto something there, @Theocritus.  Whatever happened to Carpe Diem?  That has worked well for 2000 years,

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited March 2017
    Mendel said:
    I think you may be onto something there, @Theocritus.  Whatever happened to Carpe Diem?  That has worked well for 2000 years,

Not to mention that there as been, effectively, zero games which received excessive hype and flourished, lol. 

You know what? I'm cautiously optimistic about Pantheon, I think it will be a game and I can wait for it to release whenever it does. :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2017
    The hazy promises of a better future is almost always more appealing than the cold reality of what is already is available 

It's from this all hope springs from.....

Well that and marketing. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    You seem to have mixed opinion there.
    1. This site didnt used to be so infatuated
    2.  but with this industry its always

So which it, used to be not like that or always like that?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think we had any choice in how we reacted to media because devs in the past were not using Early access gimmicks and kick starters.
    Geesh i go back to when devs had to BEG players to test their games,now people grab keys and sell them on ebay,times have really changed and NOT for the better.

Geesh it was only a few years ago and the media was all over FFXIV for using tiles in their maps.Now media seems to let the most awful pathetic mapping get a free pass.

You know why it is the way it is?

It is because media sites get first dibs on news and everyone is partnering in the advertising so we get nothing but biased information before we get to have a single look at a game.In the past,we were very patient,we would never consider ANY type of gaming before a game is ready.We NEVER let unfinished products get a fee pass in the media,devs would be black balled by every media outlet.

NOW almost every streamer,you tuber,website is a SELLOUT,all about the money now.
    Catibrie

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:
    I don't think we had any choice in how we reacted to media because devs in the past were not using Early access gimmicks and kick starters.
    Geesh i go back to when devs had to BEG players to test their games,now people grab keys and sell them on ebay,times have really changed and NOT for the better.

Geesh it was only a few years ago and the media was all over FFXIV for using tiles in their maps.Now media seems to let the most awful pathetic mapping get a free pass.

You know why it is the way it is?

It is because media sites get first dibs on news and everyone is partnering in the advertising so we get nothing but biased information before we get to have a single look at a game.In the past,we were very patient,we would never consider ANY type of gaming before a game is ready.We NEVER let unfinished products get a fee pass in the media,devs would be black balled by every media outlet.

NOW almost every streamer,you tuber,website is a SELLOUT,all about the money now.

Just because you're making comments for nothing doesn't make you any more right...... sorry to say. Actually, I'd say that it's more than likely that you're more wrong about EVERYTHING you just stated here than the vast majority of streamers, youtubers, and websites. You provide zero supporting evidence to your statements and you make wildly sweeping generalizations. That's a pretty broad brush bud. 

Also, just FYI, I don't know what games ever begged players to test their games. That being said, I've only been testing games for the last 23 years or so, so I may not have a great frame of reference prior to that. However, what I can say is that when I first started helping to beta test games it was a massive pain in the ass to get accepted into a beta test. Also, beta keys have been available for purchase on eBay almost since eBay was even available, and before that you could get them on BBS. There is, literally, no time in the past 2 decades that I can remember where developers were begging for testers.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Or the other alternative, the MMOs that have been coming out for years really just suck that bad.
    CatibrieNilden

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kxelem said:
    I certainly don't hope so, there is no way they would get the game up and running as it should by then. I rather wait a while then getting something with a launch like AO, VG or AoC.

I am happy if they start the beta late this year and release late 2018 or more likely, early 2019. The alpha might get up pretty fast though but their will be a lot of things that needs a look once it is up, and even more once the beta start running.
    Loke666 said:
    Kxelem said:
    I certainly don't hope so, there is no way they would get the game up and running as it should by then. I rather wait a while then getting something with a launch like AO, VG or AoC.

I am happy if they start the beta late this year and release late 2018 or more likely, early 2019. The alpha might get up pretty fast though but their will be a lot of things that needs a look once it is up, and even more once the beta start running.
    Brad said this in the official forums about someone saying it will take 5 years + to make Pantheon, so we should be another 2.5 years away from the game launch. Brad makes it sound like its not going to take as long as we would thing. His comments on this can be found HERE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"I'm certainly not going to say, guess, or imply anything regarding when I think Pantheon will launch and/or how long the overall development cycle is going to be.  Far too early for that, and truly no need.  I will say, however, that while many MMOs have taken 5-6 years, EverQuest 1 took 3 years.   Probably because we were too ignorant to know what a crazy, large, and complex game we were wanting to make, lol.  Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.  I will say this for certain, and that is by having a solid mixture of MMO veterans and hungry, talented, full of energy 'noobs', you can get a LOT done.  If you don't have people telling you you're being too agressive or that something simply can't be done more quickly than X months or years, it can really help.  That said, while new mistakes are ok as we are all human, being able to learn from past mistakes and doing your damndest not to repeat them also really helps the development cycle.    Even technology like the Cloud is a huge time saver -- we can build and deploy a server pretty much anywhere in a matter of hours (if not less), don't need huge operations centers, etc.  A lot of time and money can be saved now that even 10 years ago would not have been possible.

Anyway, as I've said before many times, what's important to us is that it's a great game, a FUN game, a STICKY game, a SOCIAL game, that it's not rushed out, that there is enough content, and that we've had enough time to test during alpha and beta such that we're able to address any major balance or tecnical issues earlier as opposed to later.  I think the team has a great sense of urgency and they are truly pouring their hearts and souls into this.  That said, they don't feel rushed either, or pressured to cut corners or to not do the right thing."

Catibrie
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    P99 is - Pantheon is coming... Rock it...