Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon - Estimated Release 2017?

Comments

• FollowthislogicFollowthislogic Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Wait, isn't this game still in the concept phase?  The estimated release date on here is 2017.  Isn't that about 4-5 years too early?
    Today's MMORPG's do not take that long as they once did, due to great tools, with game engines such as Unity, with the asset store,  hiring people under contract which is what I do and have for a decade, then Unreal game engine, which offers assets , assets are a cheaper way  instead of hiring more help... which is great for any company..This is helping development time...    Game engines also have gotten better through the years... Also back in the day many companies would spend a few years making the game engine then, the game.... I been in this industry for over a decade, and as a gamer for 30 years, then got my degree, so I tend to pay attention to how this works which is important.... Games like this can take a good company 1 -2 years.    depending on the team size, skill, and money they have.    Remember MMORPG used to cost millions to make, that is not the case any longer either...

Software is alot cheaper than it once was, and game engines have made it easier and cheaper to get access to before you make any money which has helped smaller companies as well. The list goes on and on.
    What assets in the unity store would you use in this game? All I ever see is crap in the store.
  • FollowthislogicFollowthislogic Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Dullahan said:
    Ok all of that wasn't crap but still don't think that store will speed up production much as other poster suggested.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Dullahan said:
    Ok all of that wasn't crap but still don't think that store will speed up production much as other poster suggested.
    Dullahan said:
    You sir have never made a game.... I have for AAA and indies..  Assets are made all the time for AAA and indies just like the asset store to save time , money...... extend on the engine...Unity you can buy tools like Terrain Composer, Gaia, etc, that are great for making terrains, if you made your own,  good luck, it may not look as good...Then buy tools like Gena for level design and world building...You will save TIME and tons of money.. and it will look better.... Then buy tools like  Pro GRIDS.... all these tools extend on the engine...Then make your own... to...  but would u rather make a terrain tool that will take months to make..... or pay someone to make I bet cost thousands...or pay 40 bucks....... 

I love for you to find a programmer that will do months of coding for 40 bucks...Right there you saved money....  I don't buy any art, since I'm an artist/programmer..... But I do buy assets that extend the engine and will save me time, and I can have better tools to do a better job...Just like some people use Blender, I use Maya /Modo...Substance since I feel I can save time and money and do a better job....I can go on and on....... So before making  silly statement saying buying assets don't save time and money....... Clearly shows you have never made a game professionally...    

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Wait, isn't this game still in the concept phase?  The estimated release date on here is 2017.  Isn't that about 4-5 years too early?
    Today's MMORPG's do not take that long as they once did, due to great tools, with game engines such as Unity, with the asset store,  hiring people under contract which is what I do and have for a decade, then Unreal game engine, which offers assets , assets are a cheaper way  instead of hiring more help... which is great for any company..This is helping development time...    Game engines also have gotten better through the years... Also back in the day many companies would spend a few years making the game engine then, the game.... I been in this industry for over a decade, and as a gamer for 30 years, then got my degree, so I tend to pay attention to how this works which is important.... Games like this can take a good company 1 -2 years.    depending on the team size, skill, and money they have.    Remember MMORPG used to cost millions to make, that is not the case any longer either...

Software is alot cheaper than it once was, and game engines have made it easier and cheaper to get access to before you make any money which has helped smaller companies as well. The list goes on and on.
    What assets in the unity store would you use in this game? All I ever see is crap in the store.
    I don't buy art,  Terrain Composer, GAIA,  Bolt, Gena... and many others  ... are amazing.. Period..

So know what your looking at, before making blanket statements..  Kids today don't know what your looking at...  I bet you are one of those that want to buy assets to " MAKE" your game.... like some of the wannabe's...    Learn Unity, and Game development, and just maybe you will know what is good and bad. before making such silly comments about the asset stores.. This is why Unreal has a asset store, Cry now as well,   AAA companies BUY assets all the time, I should know....I make plenty for plenty of companies.. code and art...  
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Strong necro.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Depends on the definition of 'release'... but from what I've seen it'll be closed alpha at best in 2017, more alphas and betas in 2018, and, assuming they don't do the usual early access / soft launch BS, release in early-mid 2019.
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    GladDog said:
    Pantheon has an angel investor, so they have a fair amount of money to work with.  Not as much as they would like, but they have something to work with.  IMO they will stay true to their vision, but truncate it. 

I expect a lovely world full of great lore and challenging content, but instead of 16 zones, 200 side quests, a level 60 cap and 10 races, I would expect 50 side quests, 8-10 zones, a level cap of 50 and 6 races.  If they meet any of those goals, it will be races, since they seem to have a lot invested in the races already. 

Once they release and have cash flowing in they can get the rest of the content done that they wanted to release in a free patch 2-3 months after release.  After that, I would expect most content to be in paid expansions.
    Luckily they already have exactly 8 zones I believe with the 2 they announced that are appearing on the next vid/stream (which needs to get here already). The rest is anyone's guess, but I'm putting my chips in for a March announcement at some point of pre-alpha starting! That's my bet, but I'd like to hear when you guys think pre-alpha will start; curious where the community's perspective is at this point.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    If I remember correctly vanguard went a year from the last alpha to release. Unless they are way further along that it appears then I guess at a 2018 release at the soonest.  Probably late 2018 to maybe early 2019 is most likely.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    They don't have your standard crowd funded development team. By all accounts they seem to have a staff of about 40 and have some experience as well. Not like CoE where the core staff are newbies. Beta looks like sometime 8n 2017 and they have said they want to be in beta for a year. So no 2017 is not happening. 
    Catibrie
  • EstherOpalEstherOpal Member UncommonPosts: 19
    im staying hopeful for it launching this year but im not opposed to it coming out later, because i want it to be as good as it can be at launch and crossing my fingers it will be able to compete with WoW, FFXIV, ect.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Honestly, I dont want this game to come out till 2019 so that there are long and proper testing phases to ensure everything is smooth.
  • EstherOpalEstherOpal Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Albatroes said:
    Honestly, I dont want this game to come out till 2019 so that there are long and proper testing phases to ensure everything is smooth.
    same, im willing to wait for a good game. i want it to be a game that says in the lime light for a while in the mmorpg scene .
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The thread is from July 2016. We know now that it definitely isn't releasing this year. The updated and expanded FAQ says that they're looking for alpha and beta sometime this year. This is why thread necros are bad.
    Forgrimm said:
    The thread is from July 2016. We know now that it definitely isn't releasing this year. The updated and expanded FAQ says that they're looking for alpha and beta sometime this year. This is why thread necros are bad.
    We also know from the new FAQ beta will last about a year and beta may start sometime this year.So one year plus away.
    Catibrie
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I hope they plan accordingly (to their funding), but take all the time that they need. If the launch isn't until 2019, so be it. I'd rather play a better game a year later, than one that is a flash in the pan. There is no second chances with most MMOs, especially an indie.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    In 2017 people avoid grouping unless they absolutely have to. You combat this by encouraging group play at every turn. Mulitple players should have a stacking "search" skill that increases loot chance. A single monster should be worth more xp to 3 players than 1.

Monster AI should constantly adapt so that no single class can plow through equal levels. For instance various monsters should constantly be running to get help, spoting feign death, random CC immune, random kite immune, dismissing your pet, lifetap reversal, armor shred, random element immune, giant aggro radius, hidden social aggro, waiting to interrupt your spells, battle rez their friends, mana drain, etc.

In other words if a necro ventures alone he might do ok for awhile but eventually a reversed lifetap with send him to loading screen. Or a chanter trying to be a solo hero gets humbled by a mob immune to mez. It would even add to immersion because realistically monsters should have a sizable arsenal of counter-play anyhow.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Counterplays yes sure.  But monsters should not decide to counterplay you just because you are soloing.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Just get me in Alpha in late 2017 and hopefully before then the emulator of Vanguard will be up and running. That will keep me busy till Pantheon, I'll bring back my fun days playing my Tuurgin Shammy and Kojani Disciple. 

I suspect that Vanguard right now would be popular right now to some people who are following this game. Just a day in the River Valley would be fun as he'll, having to go down to the bottom then on to the castle at the end of the zone. 

Fun, fun and more fun. 

• ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited March 2017

Just get me in Alpha in late 2017 and hopefully before then the emulator of Vanguard will be up and running. That will keep me busy till Pantheon, I'll bring back my fun days playing my Tuurgin Shammy and Kojani Disciple. 

I suspect that Vanguard right now would be popular right now to some people who are following this game. Just a day in the River Valley would be fun as he'll, having to go down to the bottom then on to the castle at the end of the zone. 

Fun, fun and more fun. 
    Love see EQ/VG vets getting hyped; I just returned to EQ for the first time in 13 years for the same reason.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    How many people are going to treat an Alpha or Beta test as the game launch, that's what I wonder.   I feel that this is a real problem not only for Pantheon, but for any game in development.  Too many other games treat their various testing phases as a 'soft launch', and start charging players to access the non-finished product.  I don't think VR is intending to do this, and hope they resist becoming complacent once revenue starts rolling in.  Testing is testing, and I don't trust the players to actually treat a test phase as a test phase and not just 'playing'.   I haven't heard of VR's plans for server wipes, one of the signals I interpret as a delineation between the end of development and the launch of a finished product.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• KxelemKxelem Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Mendel said:
    How many people are going to treat an Alpha or Beta test as the game launch, that's what I wonder.   I feel that this is a real problem not only for Pantheon, but for any game in development.  Too many other games treat their various testing phases as a 'soft launch', and start charging players to access the non-finished product.  I don't think VR is intending to do this, and hope they resist becoming complacent once revenue starts rolling in.  Testing is testing, and I don't trust the players to actually treat a test phase as a test phase and not just 'playing'.   I haven't heard of VR's plans for server wipes, one of the signals I interpret as a delineation between the end of development and the launch of a finished product.
    VR is planning on being pretty heavy on testing from how i understand it.  They have repeatedly said on the official forums that there will be some pretty strict testing.  The mindset of the majority of VIP's is to test until we cant test any more.  We all understand that the testing phase is not early access or a soft launch and will do our best to take part in giving Pantheon the best launch possible :) 
    Mendel said:
    Its old school testing. Wipes, targeted testing not all content open. It will not feel anything like a live game. 
    Catibrie
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Maybe you're right @Kxelem, that there will be rigorous testing.  There will be good feedback, and time allocated for fixes, both on the client and server sides.

The skeptic in me thinks that the contingent of serious testers will be severely outnumbered, though.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.