Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally found a good PvE MMO, now its dieing, I need a nice PvE MMO!!

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wow LOTRO a nice looking game?I heard a lot abotu the graphics,then when i tried it ,i was like lol,it looks VERY aged.

FFXIV will blow the doors off LOTRO in every single aspect of game design,doing pretty much the exact same things.Personally nothing on the market is doing what i want from a mmorpg which is depth of systems and NOT linear game play.

Point being ,you have 99% of a genre to choose from because most all are linear questing games,IF we can call these lame sop called quests...a quest.To me a quest should be rare,limited and feel epic.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    tixylix said:
    Destiny, Pokemon Go, The Division, Hearthstone, Overwatch... apparently these are all MMOs.
    Don't forget No Man's Sky! An MMO with about as much chance of meeting another player as winning the lottery. 
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Muke said:
    Wizbuiz said:
    Pokémon Go!

And you get to go out more-
    Just dont forget a extra battery pack, a good data sub for your mobile phone, and a good health insurance since many ' not so smart' Pokemon Go players just walk head on with trains, trucks etc while staring at a screen looking for a yellow hamster. :P
    You forgot the ones, who walked into a armed robbery for some pokey balls. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    Nebless said:
    Alpenn said:
    Someone suggested I play Lord of the rings online for PvE content and I did and the graphics and gameplay are amazing!!
    Now i hear Turbine might be shutting down the game next year so I dont really want to be getting into a game thats dieing!!

It's not shutting down.  It's license is up for renewal.  Something that's already happened once.  It's still making money for all parties concerned so I doubt if it will be shut down.
    When you see then down to 4 servers then start to worry.
    I don't really follow LOTRO, I can say what you would want to look for is not it shutting down due to lack of players or money, the question is, does any other company have plans to make a modern LOTRO game? If the answer is no, then it isn't gonna shut down. Just like SWG, it didn't shut down due to lack of money, or players, it shut down because of SWTOR. From the little I just found, it doesn't look like there are any new mmo with lord of the rings in mind. So I doubt it will shut down. 
    LOTRO still has over 15 servers up.  Normally and almost always the first thing a failing mmo does is shutdown and consolidate servers.  I never seen a mmorpg shutdown with 15 servers.  You are right about them somehow relaunching the game or making a 2.0 version.  They need something fresh to attract new players.  For some reason I never played this game past lvl 5.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Alpenn said:
    Someone suggested I play Lord of the rings online for PvE content and I did and the graphics and gameplay are amazing!!
    Now i hear Turbine might be shutting down the game next year so I dont really want to be getting into a game thats dieing!!

What is a nice MMO with good PvE that has similar gameplay and setting. I love games with nice settings of fields and similar to that of Lord of the rings and i want nice PvE with raids and dungeons etc!! Preferably not a dieing game!!

Ryzom, Istaria, Have really good pve and crafting but there is no real pvp. Project 1999 has some of the best pve, but again no real pvp. SWG has good pve, crafting, and the pvp is interesting, because of the jedi in it. I would say Allods is the closest to LOTRO out of all those. I haven't got to far, but it reminds me a lot of LOTRO.  Can't recommend play Allods on the F2P server, since it is p2w up there with Arche age, but the P2P one is good to go, it is P2p with 0 cash shop in it.
    Allods is not really this much of p2w anymore atleast as far as hitting level cap is involved. Nevertheless p2p server would be indeed a better choice. It has some mechanics such as leveling mounts removed (which could be interesting to some players - especially coming from LotRO) but still no cash shop involved
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NAERNAER Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'd recommend P2P games more specifically WoW or FFXIV those or maybe GW2 sure you take a chance with WoW or FFXIV but their both great stable games with absolutely no P2W aspects which is a definite selling point IMO.
    NAER said:
    I'd recommend P2P games more specifically WoW or FFXIV those or maybe GW2 sure you take a chance with WoW or FFXIV but their both great stable games with absolutely no P2W aspects which is a definite selling point IMO.
    Well wow you can buy a instant high level character, I dono how you can't call that p2w;)
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    filmoret said:
    LOTRO still has over 15 servers up.
    Just 10 plus Bullroarer, but yep, I agree. It's one of the very few games which even added new servers, years after the launch.
    LotRO went almost 9 years without a close(*), when they downsized from 29+1 servers onto 10+1. Sure, that really is a big reduction, no wonder all the servers are now stuffed with players...
    (*) not counted the non-official versions in China, or the Russian servers which were closed last year I think, etc.

Reizla said:
    Kyleran said:
    EQ2, TSW also come to mind.
    TSW indeed has some kickass story telling and some very good and challenging PvE. Only problem I have is the amount of zombies running around in the game (I'm at Blue Mountains now). I hope they'll diminish later on in the game in favor of some more Lovecraftian story telling...
    Zombies are a New England theme...  As HL said in one of his videos, there's Egypt, Trans, Tokyo, sex hou... khm. :wink:  https://youtu.be/vchJCHBnu6o?t=2m59s
    Egypt is mummies, Jinns, scorpions, locusts, dig sites, archeology, brainwashed cultists (ok, those are like zombies, just on living tissue :wink: ), sand golems, etc.
    Trans is a mixed bag, vampires and werewolves are given (not the dumb, sparkly type), but there are also ghouls, deathless monk-ish creeps (like the nazguls in LotR), corrupted nature like fauns, fungal creeps, walking trees (not like ents), ice golems, and some leftover gifts from the cold war era (pumped up hulks on pcp, for starters)
    Tokyo has high-tech gizmos, japanese schoolgirls, daemons, robots, lots of mechanical and industrial stuff.
    NAER said:
    Well wow you can buy a instant high level character, I dono how you can't call that p2w;)
    Because paying for convenience isn't paying to win... Ya'know there's actually a pretty big difference if you cared to notice? How exactly does a level boost give you any kind of advantage towards other players at all?
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Ramajama said:
    Try BDO, nice vibe to it
    Unless you aren't into PvP.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    tixylix said:
    Destiny, Pokemon Go, The Division, Hearthstone, Overwatch... apparently these are all MMOs.
    Don't forget No Man's Sky! An MMO with about as much chance of meeting another player as winning the lottery. 
    Not an MMO. You could play for 30 years and never see another player.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

NAER said:
    NAER said:
    Because paying for convenience isn't paying to win... Ya'know there's actually a pretty big difference if you cared to notice? How exactly does a level boost give you any kind of advantage towards other players at all?
    I do care to notice, but we obviously have a difference of what is pay 2 win, and what isnt. For me it is this, when I look around my game world, I don't want to see a bunch of people who dumped 100s or 1000s of dollars into the game, to get something. When I look around my game world, I want to see people who earned their stuff.

Example being, everquest when you saw some one with a epic, you knew they worked hard on it. Leveling from 1-60 was extremely hard, and if you were to pay 100 bucks to skip that leveling you didn't earn anything. So yes WOW, EVE, and the rest are all pay 2 win, because when you see some one in game, you have no idea if they earned the stuff or not, and there is a high chance they just bought it all with cash.  If in everquest, you were found out for paying 100s into the game, and bought some ones account and skipped everything, you would be made fun of, and no one would group with you. It was really easy to tell, because people who bought accounts literally had no idea what to do. It prolly isn't so obvious in modern games, because they are so simple, it is hard to suck at them. 

Unlike Ryzom, Project 1999, SWG emu, and Allods sub server, every time you see some one that has some cool stuff you know they earned it in game, with dedication to the game, and a lot of work. Here is another reason why you won't see me ever on a pay 2 win game like wow or eve. It is equal to say playing Skyrim, but instead of playing the game, I paid some one to write me a mod to give me everything in the game, or used cheat codes to beat the game. 

I understand why you are with the mainstream on the pay 2 win thing, over the old generation of every one was equal, regardless of the limit on their credit card. Call it what you will though, it is still pay 2 win. If the game allows you to skip things that are "undesirable", such as leveling, wearing crappy starter cloths, ect it is pay 2 win. Of course there are different levels of it, Path of exile is the low end, and EVE online being the worst offender. Eve because, not only is there a sub fee, but you literally can get everything in the game with money. So you see some high level guy running around, think he earned it all by playing, nah he just dumped 10 grand in, and got him self everything in the game. 

As I said there are only a slight few games that do not fit in the pay 2 win spectrum low or high. Ryzom, Istaria, Project 1999, SWG emu, Allods sub server. The rest all have ways to get something in game for cash, that you didn't take time to earn in game. BTW there is nothing wrong with liking to pay money and getting stuff in a game, that some one else has to earn. It is just something I will never tolerate. 

There is no difference between paying for convenience or paying to win. All you are doing is trying to change the wording, so it doesn't seem so bad. Pay 2 win over the years has got bad feelings attached to it, and over the years people just changed it to something else. It is totally like over the years, trailers got a bad rep, and now they are called modular homes.

Sadly though we high jacked the guys thread, the mods are gonna give me a warning for responding to your question, and our messages deleted, since thats usually how they roll. So sorry to the OP, but I am pretty sure you got all the knowledge you needed to find a new game. I wish you luck.
    Tiller said:
    tixylix said:
    Not an MMO. You could play for 30 years and never see another player.
    I am 90 percent sure he was being sarcastic. But to the OP, I forgot one if No man sky is your thing, which it doesn't sound like it since you were talking about Lotro, Star Bound is coming out soon, which is a MMO, that you can play with people, build bases, craft, find new planets and many more things, good combat system too. You can also run your own server of Star bound, and never have to worry about some one shutting it down on you, which seem to be something your worried about. The other one that wasen't really mentioned was Wurm online unlimited, which you can also run your own server, so you have no fear of some one shutting it down on you. I will tell you though, it will cost you around 300 or so a month, to run a 100+ man server, and lots of work, so that might not be your cup of tea.

The only game I can think of that would have no chance of ever being shut down, is Ulitma Online. It has been there from the start, and will be there till the end. Mind you though it is highly pay 2 win, you can literally buy everything in the game with cash, and crafting is basically a gambling shop. 
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I am in the same situation as OP. Feeling that Lotro would sail with Elves to the Undying Lands, looking for new home.
    First of all: I am f2p, the very kind of person that likes paying for free. hence, I do noit try sub games. So.:
    1) Istaria. Multi-class in combart schools, multi-class in crafting. Sub payers can be dragons; sub payers can own land plots/dragon lairs. Some nice humour too, like monster - "Greenpiece".
    2) Guild wars 2. No great story like Lotro, but distinctive graphic and really cool personal story. I loved my tiny Asura! Downside - some quests are really problematic, some regions are behind buy-to-play wall.
    3) Rift - many adventures, PvP optional, you will get lost between thousands of quests, rifts and alike. Yet it is a game (I think, plz do not blame me for that) without soul. No NPC to worry about, like Laila, no NPC to hate like Grima.
    4) Age of Conan. Well, a bit brutal look, I enjoyed running big-chested female Tempest of Set, yet the game got boring. Story, however, may be interesting sometimes.
    I tried several other games, like Aion (quit because of pvp); Terra (quit because...just disliked), Dragons Prophet. Folks reccomend Wildstar (sci-fi though, so prepare your pistols, blasters etc) and it looks like WS is not behind huge paywall.
    Yet I can't find fantasy story-driven pvE game with nice crafting that I may call home. If OP founds one - owuld be interesting to hear

p.s. Should Op decide to go to Istaria - my Cleric/Warrior (lvl.100), also crafter that has several lvl.100s may be of some aid ;-)
    Aion is an option as well. The game has just released a new update and the game is healthy. The grind has been reduced and it still looks and runs well. (In my opinion)
    That one is a good one to, which is very close to LOTRO. It also has the best, and I mean best out of every mmo, character customization, I am not talking about skills though, I am talking about the character creator. You can make really anything with it, from a fat ugly monster, to a beautiful paragon.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If you have to start over anyway, why wouldn't you stick it out in the one you enjoy right now? I'd stay with LOTRO until I knew for certain they were shutting it down......Besides. If that's the game you really like, why would you spend the next year playing 2nd best when you can still play 1st choice?  For whatever game you move to, your early experience isn't going to be different this year or next. I just don't see why you wouldn't want to get at least one more great year out of LOTRO. And that's assuming worst case scenario.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    NAER said:
    NAER said:
    I do care to notice, but we obviously have a difference of what is pay 2 win, and what isnt. For me it is this, when I look around my game world, I don't want to see a bunch of people who dumped 100s or 1000s of dollars into the game, to get something. When I look around my game world, I want to see people who earned their stuff.

Example being, everquest when you saw some one with a epic, you knew they worked hard on it. Leveling from 1-60 was extremely hard, and if you were to pay 100 bucks to skip that leveling you didn't earn anything. So yes WOW, EVE, and the rest are all pay 2 win, because when you see some one in game, you have no idea if they earned the stuff or not, and there is a high chance they just bought it all with cash.  If in everquest, you were found out for paying 100s into the game, and bought some ones account and skipped everything, you would be made fun of, and no one would group with you. It was really easy to tell, because people who bought accounts literally had no idea what to do. It prolly isn't so obvious in modern games, because they are so simple, it is hard to suck at them. 

Unlike Ryzom, Project 1999, SWG emu, and Allods sub server, every time you see some one that has some cool stuff you know they earned it in game, with dedication to the game, and a lot of work. Here is another reason why you won't see me ever on a pay 2 win game like wow or eve. It is equal to say playing Skyrim, but instead of playing the game, I paid some one to write me a mod to give me everything in the game, or used cheat codes to beat the game. 

I understand why you are with the mainstream on the pay 2 win thing, over the old generation of every one was equal, regardless of the limit on their credit card. Call it what you will though, it is still pay 2 win. If the game allows you to skip things that are "undesirable", such as leveling, wearing crappy starter cloths, ect it is pay 2 win. Of course there are different levels of it, Path of exile is the low end, and EVE online being the worst offender. Eve because, not only is there a sub fee, but you literally can get everything in the game with money. So you see some high level guy running around, think he earned it all by playing, nah he just dumped 10 grand in, and got him self everything in the game. 

As I said there are only a slight few games that do not fit in the pay 2 win spectrum low or high. Ryzom, Istaria, Project 1999, SWG emu, Allods sub server. The rest all have ways to get something in game for cash, that you didn't take time to earn in game. BTW there is nothing wrong with liking to pay money and getting stuff in a game, that some one else has to earn. It is just something I will never tolerate. 

There is no difference between paying for convenience or paying to win. All you are doing is trying to change the wording, so it doesn't seem so bad. Pay 2 win over the years has got bad feelings attached to it, and over the years people just changed it to something else. It is totally like over the years, trailers got a bad rep, and now they are called modular homes.

Sadly though we high jacked the guys thread, the mods are gonna give me a warning for responding to your question, and our messages deleted, since thats usually how they roll. So sorry to the OP, but I am pretty sure you got all the knowledge you needed to find a new game. I wish you luck.

You clearly dont understand the term "win". So sorry your idea of P2W is your idea but you simply dont understand p2w, and you also have a very poor understanding of "earning".

• DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    NAER said:
    NAER said:

What you dislike would be cash shops, not P2W games. The definition of P2W and pay-for-convenience have been heatedly debated over the last several years. 

P2W implies that you spend hundreds (Or thousands in your example) of dollars in order to achieve a level of status, or attain a set of items, that is not achievable through normal gameplay. P2W implies that you have an intrinsic advantage over normal players. 

Pay-for-convenience, however, means that you are limited on time, but want to buy exp pots or an insta-leveling potion. These are not P2W because the end result can be achieved through time spent in the game. These are also not P2W because most people who insta-level a toon are terrible, due to not being familiar with that character. So I would say they are actually at a disadvantage to the players that fought their way up.

Games like WoW are far from P2W. You cannot buy the best gear, nor does anything from the cash shop give you an inherent advantage on the gear treadmill of hard-mode raiding. In the end, you have to have the dedication that you are looking for to get "the uber loot." That, in itself, is against the definition of P2W.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Elder Scrolls Online reminds me a lot of LOTRO, especially in world design. Really awesome MMO for explorers, crafters and socializers. If you explore around each zone, you can find all kinds of hidden goodies (and even hidden quests) or just generally good views.

Its also getting constant updates, and the game is very lively. No worry of it shutting down any time soon.

They are nothing like it other, lotro actually feels like a RPG and are more involved in the story  . You see all those characters you read about in the books or watched in the films.  The world is more open than ESO and IMO really beautiful especially round that big lake. Pretty sure it's dx11 or you also have some really nice weather aswell. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Alpenn said:

What is a nice MMO with good PvE that has similar gameplay and setting. I love games with nice settings of fields and similar to that of Lord of the rings and i want nice PvE with raids and dungeons etc!! Preferably not a dieing game!!
    Unless you have an inside scoop on whether Turbine is shutting the game down I really wouldn't pay it no mind.

You have a year to play the game and I doubt they are going to "shut it down". Warner Brothers will still want to keep the rights to the IP and what probably will happen is that they will just scale the "development" based on the money being brought in.

I think you are fretting for nothing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    SWTOR or ESO
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    edited July 2016
    NAER said:
    NAER said:

I deeply regret reading through all of this only to find that you don't even know what Pay to Win means. :/
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited July 2016
    OP, starting any game and spending $ on anything than WOW: Legion in a month based on what I know would be a huge mistake. WOW: Legion will be big, 36% of this community will be buying it on launch with another 15-16% undecided yet. So, you have half of the market potentially going back at it and for a good reason why...

This is what $ are for....to use em to live life otherwise they are useless.

NAER said:
    NAER said:
    NAER said:

I deeply regret reading through all of this only to find that you don't even know what Pay to Win means. :/
    I am not gonna argue with you any more in some one else's thread. Sorry OP, for even getting into any of it.