Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion on prospective build

124»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    The difference was really few W and they rerouted that to 6 pin connector and thats about it, mountain made out of molehill for something NVidia has been doing for years but somehow all those crusaders dont care about that lol
    All it shows is that AMD isn't any better than Nvidia when it comes to things like ethics.
    What ethics. There wasnt an issue to start with, it was blown out of proportions by few "tech sites" and tech illiterate NVidia fanbois as i have nicely demonstrated.

Or you mean ethics of those crusaders who are suddenly nowehere to be seen or heard since "issue" was "fixed" but still persist on NVidias GPUs?
    Shipping product that doesn't meet power draw specifications and puts a customers property at risk (no matter how insignificant) without warning is unethical.

Now you can sugar coat it all you want.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    The difference was really few W and they rerouted that to 6 pin connector and thats about it, mountain made out of molehill for something NVidia has been doing for years but somehow all those crusaders dont care about that lol
    All it shows is that AMD isn't any better than Nvidia when it comes to things like ethics.
    What ethics. There wasnt an issue to start with, it was blown out of proportions by few "tech sites" and tech illiterate NVidia fanbois as i have nicely demonstrated.

Or you mean ethics of those crusaders who are suddenly nowehere to be seen or heard since "issue" was "fixed" but still persist on NVidias GPUs?
    Shipping product that doesn't meet power draw specifications and puts a customers property at risk (no matter how insignificant) without warning is unethical.

And you can tout that irrelevant thing all you want.

Again: where are all those specification crusaders because NVidia GPUs still violate PCIe spec?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:

Again: where are all those specification crusaders because NVidia GPUs still violate PCIe spec?
    Sorry...

Did I say that Nvidia is an ethical company that can do no wrong?

No, not at all, I'm not a fanboi or hater for either company. I tend to see things how they are.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    dreamer05 said:
    <snip>
    • Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage

This is something I'm not familiar with.  Is this some sort of RAID array?  If so, what is the purpose of a RAID array on a gaming system?  I've always been leery of putting anything other than bulk data (databases, etc) on a RAID.  (Executable files always have a read access penalty on any RAID configuration, thus hurting performance in favor of reliability)  Are you really anticipating a need to swap hard drives on the fly?  This sounds like an extra expense to me.

If this cage is for some kind of removable hard-drive backup system, why not go with an external hard drive for storage?  It's likely to be a much cheaper option.  (And good job on planning for/ investing in backup if this is some kind of backup system -- too many of us simply ignore backups).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited July 2016
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:
    laserit said:
    Malabooga said:

Sorry...

Did I say that Nvidia is an ethical company that can do no wrong?

No, not at all, I'm not a fanboi or hater for either company. I tend to see things how they are.
    AMD fixed the problem, so why even bring that up? The only problem left now is NVidia and their cards. Where is massive outcry and rage about that huh?

Uh i know, noone cares because its not an issue just as it wasnt with AMD cards.

but hey were PCIe spec crusaders right?

NVidia is violating PCIe spec. When is NVidia going to fix it?
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Cleffy said:
    I took a look around at several sites to see what will make the best bang for buck.
    I went to Falcon Northwest, Origin PC, Digital Storm, Puget Systems, AVA Direct, and CyberPower PC. Choosing between these vendors has a lot to do with the level of care you want. With Falcon Northwest, Origin PC, Digital Storm, and Puget Systems you will get superior customer support but pay on average 50% more. You configuration options are also limited and typically include water cooling.
    If you go CyberPowerPC, you get lots of options, lots of promotional offers for free headsets and keyboards, and a price near building it yourself. You can also opt out of the water cooling which saves $200-$400. However, you sacrifice quality control and the warranty.
    AvaDirect is the in between of both options.
    When I was configuring them I had several goals.
    1. A quality power supply between 500w-650w. For a single GPU this should be sufficient. You typically don't want too much power as there is a sweet spot for power efficiency. If you get an 850w supply, you are burning more energy since its less efficient at smaller loads.
    2. Intel Core i5-6500K or better.
    3. Non-stock CPU cooler.
    4. RX480, GTX1070 GPU (RX480 if available)
    5. 500+ GB SSD primary drive
    6. 1+ TB HDD secondary drive

Given those options here are the results:
    Falcon Northwest $2359.00
    Digital Storm $1724
    OriginPC $2300
    Puget Systems (Too expensive, axed option) 
    AVADirect $1614
    CyberPowerPC $1495
    Thanks for your research, mine was about the same results. CyberPower PC had much worse reviews, as did iBuypower.

I went with AVA Direct. With the help of the advice here and my own research, AVA direct was the cheapest with the best customization options.

The end build I went with was:

• Eclipse Series P400S White w/ Window, No PSU, E-ATX, Mid Tower Case
    • GA-Z170X-GAMING 3, Intel Z170 Chipset, LGA 1151, DDR4 64GB, HDMI, M.2, USB 3.1, ATX Retail Motherboard
    • Core i7-6700K Quad-Core 4.0 - 4.2GHz TB, HD Graphics 530, LGA 1151, 8MB L3 Cache, DDR3L / DDR4, 14nm, 91W, Retail Processor
    • GeForce GTX 1070 FOUNDERS EDITION, 1506 - 1683MHz, 8GB GDDR5 256-Bit, PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
    • 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHz, PC4-19200, CL15 (15-15-15) 1.2V, Non-ECC, Black, DIMM Memory
    • BQ Series 750 BQ 750W, 80 PLUS Bronze, Semi Modular, ATX Power Supply
    • Hydro Series H60 120mm, Socket 2011-3/1151/AM3+/FM2+, Retail Liquid Cooling System
    • 1TB 850 EVO 7mm, 540 / 520 MB/s, 3D V-NAND, SATA 6Gb/s, 2.5-Inch Retail SSD
    • PCE-AC68, Internal, IEEE 802.11ac/a/b/g/n, Dual-Band 2.4 / 5GHz, 600 / 1300 Mbps, PCI Express 2.0 x1, Retail Wireless Adapter
    • Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down
    • Windows 10 Home 64-bit Edition, OEM
    • Use Name from Billing Address as OS Login
    • Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, Life-Time Labor Warranty)

Probably a little overkill, but I wanted a system that wouldn't need to be upgraded for a long time, but would have room for upgrading when needed. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Mendel said:
    dreamer05 said:
    <snip>
    • Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage

This is something I'm not familiar with.  Is this some sort of RAID array?  If so, what is the purpose of a RAID array on a gaming system?  I've always been leery of putting anything other than bulk data (databases, etc) on a RAID.  (Executable files always have a read access penalty on any RAID configuration, thus hurting performance in favor of reliability)  Are you really anticipating a need to swap hard drives on the fly?  This sounds like an extra expense to me.

If this cage is for some kind of removable hard-drive backup system, why not go with an external hard drive for storage?  It's likely to be a much cheaper option.  (And good job on planning for/ investing in backup if this is some kind of backup system -- too many of us simply ignore backups).
    These are common in higher-end cases. It doesn't mean you have to use RAID in any way. It just makes it easier to install hard drives.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2016
    Don't get the Founder's Edition cards. They are $100 overpriced for a card that is slower. Non-FE cards have already hit the market.
    For your Power Supply you really shouldn't need more than 600w with only 1 video card. Getting a good PSU over an unknown one is better for your system. Something like the Corsair AX series, eVGA, Seasonic, or beQuiet.
    For your memory get DDR4-3000. Ideally you want 3200 mhz DDR4 ram, but the memory technology has not progressed enough.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Well, I think OEMs get a deal on FE cards