Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NMS not an upcoming MMO

DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
Unless the Top Voted chart has changed criteria, No Man's Sky definitely doesn't qualify as an mmo in development.

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    And thank fuck for that, they should of kept it PS4 exclusive instead of giving pc moaning players something else to moan about. Instead of making a dumb thread why not send a private messag.. 

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    Partially true. It's not an MMO now. All players will be in the same verse but unable to interfact with eachother in any meaningful way. The groundwork for an MMO is however present and the Devs have already said they want to give players what they want..and that is unanimous with Coop and Trading down the line
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Given the highly ambiguous marketing around NMS, half the prospective players are convinced that it offers some degree of multiplayer.

Shawn Murray even said so himself. Sort of... but not specifically... not the kind of multiplayer that you'd expect in CoD...

Perhaps the old Star Trek quote can be appropriated: "It's multiplayer, Jim, but not as we know it"

However, selling a future update with full standard multiplayer functionality will probably double their revenue...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2016
    Nobody expects Apple to deal in apples, even though they're named for an apple.

Why do some people expect MMORPG.com would focus exclusively on MMORPGs?

Vrika said:

Perhaps because Apple didn't become a leading brand by selling the fruit it is named after.

Whereas MMORPG.COM became well-known for covering... MMORPG's ?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited July 2016
    Vrika said:

Thats not even the point. This isn't a debate about what constitutes an mmo or a gripe about the promotion or discussion of non-mmos, its about a game that isn't an mmo on an mmo rating chart.

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    In my interpretation it is indeed an MMORPG.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We've been covering and listing non-MMO games for years now. We're still selective and try to focus on things that we feel are relevant to the interests of those who play MMOs, but just because something isn't an MMO (and I'm not saying NMS isn't) doesn't instantly disqualify us from listing or covering it. If it's on our game list, it can be rated/hyped and so it can end up on our Top Voted list.
    MikeB said:
    We've been covering and listing non-MMO games for years now. We're still selective and try to focus on things that we feel are relevant to the interests of those who play MMOs, but just because something isn't an MMO (and I'm not saying NMS isn't) doesn't instantly disqualify us from listing or covering it. If it's on our game list, it can be rated/hyped and so it can end up on our Top Voted list.
    For as long as MMORPG.COM keeps covering MMO's extensively, I'll keep coming here for that coverage.

So far, I don't see that changing at all.

If the MMO news ever gets lost in a sea of "general gaming", then this site will have to compete for my page-views with all the other similar sites covering general gaming...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Dullahan said:
    Unless the Top Voted chart has changed criteria, No Man's Sky definitely doesn't qualify as an mmo in development.
    I think they need to change that as well. top for all other games and a top list for MMOs. I think they forget that this is the prime place to get MMO news and the harder it is to sift through all the other games the less likely people will come here for MMO news. I do get why they cover other games as it is needed to stay afloat. Just be nice if they remembered their roots. 
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Vrika said:

This might be a shocker, maybe selfish... but, when I come to M M O R P G . com  I'm looking for news, features, etc. that cover, you know, M M O R P G 's.

If I wanted some news on gaming, in general, there's plenty of non-mmorpg related sites. I come here for MMORPG news, features, etc.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    This speaks volumes for the state MMOs are in.

It's like if PC Gamer got so desperate they had to start listing console games and one of those console games was the top voted.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited July 2016
    It is only that 18 quintillion planets is so much that we  will never encounter each other in a life time  maybe closer to the center of universe it will be more common ......Universe is HUGE Planets are ENORMOUS THEM SELF chances are 0.01% ))) to encounter some one

Even if 10 people will land on one planet chances them to meet are rather low xD

It is a MMO but defiantly not a role playing with other people maybe later they said if it will success they will add new stuff who knows

It the game will be a big success will be foolish  not to begin working into making it into a legit Space Sim
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    How did people make space stations and stuff in the game if they cant meet up.
    It is only that 18 quintillion planets is so much that we  will never encounter each other in a life time  maybe closer to the center of universe it will be more common ......Universe is HUGE Planets are ENORMOUS THEM SELF chances are 0.01% ))) to encounter some one

Even if 10 people will land on one planet chances them to meet are rather low xD

It is a MMO but defiantly not a role playing with other people maybe later they said if it will success they will add new stuff who knows

It the game will be a big success will be foolish  not to begin working into making it into a legit Space Sim
    That sounds exactly like a Hello Games Q&A session, lol

Q: Can I play with friends ?
    A: The game galaxy is really huge, the chances of meeting another player are miniscule...
    Q: Yes, but if I do find them, can we play together ?
    A: Really, the universe has 18 quintillion planets, so you'll most likely never find them !

It's almost as if they're saying: "We'll make sure you never find anyone, because if you do, you'd discover just how sketchy our current version of multiplayer is" !
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    You would think, since that this game is def not a mmo in any way. It would be like playing Everquest 2, but the only thing you see, is where people left those marks like blah blah was here, but there is a very similar game star bound coming out in like 10 days, and I don't see anything on here about it. That def is a MMO. 
  • XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133
    MikeB said:
    ...If it's on our game list, it can be rated/hyped and so it can end up on our Top Voted list.
    And go from persona non grata to top of the pile in only a matter of hours, while games people here were actually looking forward to and paying attention to fall beneath. Never believe the numbers...
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Eldrach said:
    Partially true. It's not an MMO now. All players will be in the same verse but unable to interfact with eachother in any meaningful way. The groundwork for an MMO is however present and the Devs have already said they want to give players what they want..and that is unanimous with Coop and Trading down the line
    This. They also stated that if players happened to be near eachother it would just be like a Journey style interaction, where you can't do anything just see them. 

Hopefully in the future it's a bit different. I want a game like this with the ability to go on an expedition with a friend or two. That would be nice. Having this giant vast universe with no ability to do anything meaningful in a group or anything just would feel empty.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I have a feeling (FWIW) that this is the first step of their plan for the game.  They need it up and running and making money so they can implement further steps.  The basis is set for a great MMO experience, and I am sure they have plans for some such thing as MMO related play.  Having a game that has the potential for natural growth and change that makes sense with players is an astounding thing!  And they could rope off a section of space that still plays in initial release form, for those that really like it.

Hopefully guilds will be restricted to single worlds, and gathering whole sectors of stars to be under Guild XYZ's dominion won't happen... Perhaps they could have worlds overflowing with resource ABC, and a guild that controls an abundance of ABC sets the price for it.  Of course, there are other worlds that will be abundant with ABC as well, so price gouging will cause problems in the future when another of these ABC abundant worlds is found.  But that's the fun of a persistent universe like this, action and reaction...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

I watched this forget where but he says there is no building in the game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nilden said:

no building and i think you can craft all 100 items in the game using only 3 materials that are found in the universe.

I might not have those exact numbers right but it does appear to be no building a crafting-lite

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I can not wait to blow one of you guys complaining about the lack of multiplayer interaction out of the sky.  I will be laughing so hard.

SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

no building and i think you can craft all 100 items in the game using only 3 materials that are found in the universe.

I might not have those exact numbers right but it does appear to be no building a crafting-lite
    There is no building of structures in NMS.

You can deform the landscape, dig tunnels and caves even, but it will all re-set a short time after you leave the planet where you made the changes.

NMS can even be played completely offline. Your client will just update the server the next time you're online.

The exact number of craftable items and resources needed are unknown at this time.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:

There is no building of structures in NMS.

You can deform the landscape, dig tunnels and caves even, but it will all re-set a short time after you leave the planet where you made the changes.

NMS can even be played completely offline. Your client will just update the server the next time you're online.

The exact number of craftable items and resources needed are unknown at this time.
    yeah I think its around 10 or so items with around 4 materials found in the entire universe.

I didnt know about deforming doing a reset that is retarded. doesnt look or sound like a very intresting game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Between reading the Steam forums for NMS and other sites I can already see that their are going to be a whole lot of people that will be severely disappointed by what they get at launch compared to what they are hyping this game to be before launch. I for one have a deep appreciation for what HG has done to say nothing and promise everything at the same time. Truly brilliant marketing.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.