Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website/Store fiasco continues- Dev tells fans that criticizing them does not help...

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Vucar said:

That's all there is to it regarding backing: you believe them, have some faith, and donate some money -- then you walk away and hope for the best. Or, you don't have faith, and you don't donate money.
    Either way, you get hours of free entertainment criticising or defending pie-in-the-sky projects on game forums ! :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Zultra said:
    Anyone know anything about his previous stint as CEO?
    Four years with Modern Genealogy LLC as co-owner. There is a stub website with the domain name for sale at $540.

How many employees?
    Did it ever produce a working product? 
    GenSoftReviews has an entry but no reviews http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?p=1059
    Was the company sold or did it fail?

The genealogy software was apparently in its "latest stages of testing" as of September 2008 or earlier. There was a link on the website to register to the Beta test (early access) from mid 2008 to early/mid 2011 if I'm correct, with the mention "The beta version of Modern Genealogy™ 2009 will be available for testing later this summer." The last screenshot for this website was taken in February 2011, then it went down. 
    Interesting, kind of blows a large hole in his resume. Also gives us a hint at his ability to deliver a project on time.
    Coming from a wannabe "pro" here? 
    No, not a wannabe anything. Thirty-five years in IT, lots of experience in recruiting staff from programers to Project Managers. Not only that I know I am not alone on this site there are least a half dozen others with much better resumes than Caspian's.
    A resume only goes so far though. 
    Theyve claimed that they can make an MMO that puts AAA titles to shame for the tidy sum of 1.5 million and it'll be done next yearish. When you factor in those laughable claims, bring up their complete lack of experience is a fair point. Now had they set reasonable expectations and not promised things any sane developer would not have, people would be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I agree they have been a bit too bold in their claims (ala Peter M with Fable) but another way to look at it is it worked. People are talking about it. That creates buzz. Lack of experience in making an MMO really means nothing. Honestly. Look at all the so called expert MMO vets that have tried to create their own game and failed. I think more people give them the benefit of the doubt than you realize. Forum warriors are the loud vocal minority. I am not saying they can or will deliver but at the same time, Why couldn't they? 
    Of course they "could" deliver....

Just not the way to bet, odds are too long against.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:
    Zultra said:
    Four years with Modern Genealogy LLC as co-owner. There is a stub website with the domain name for sale at $540.

How many employees?
    GenSoftReviews has an entry but no reviews http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?p=1059

The genealogy software was apparently in its "latest stages of testing" as of September 2008 or earlier. There was a link on the website to register to the Beta test (early access) from mid 2008 to early/mid 2011 if I'm correct, with the mention "The beta version of Modern Genealogy™ 2009 will be available for testing later this summer." The last screenshot for this website was taken in February 2011, then it went down. 
    Interesting, kind of blows a large hole in his resume. Also gives us a hint at his ability to deliver a project on time.
    No, not a wannabe anything. Thirty-five years in IT, lots of experience in recruiting staff from programers to Project Managers. Not only that I know I am not alone on this site there are least a half dozen others with much better resumes than Caspian's.
    Theyve claimed that they can make an MMO that puts AAA titles to shame for the tidy sum of 1.5 million and it'll be done next yearish. When you factor in those laughable claims, bring up their complete lack of experience is a fair point. Now had they set reasonable expectations and not promised things any sane developer would not have, people would be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I agree they have been a bit too bold in their claims (ala Peter M with Fable) but another way to look at it is it worked. People are talking about it. That creates buzz. Lack of experience in making an MMO really means nothing. Honestly. Look at all the so called expert MMO vets that have tried to create their own game and failed. I think more people give them the benefit of the doubt than you realize. Forum warriors are the loud vocal minority. I am not saying they can or will deliver but at the same time, Why couldn't they? 

;)
    There is an old saying. If something looks too good to be true.....It (probably) is.

AAA Title on 1.5M in 2 years?

Doesn't that sound a little too good to be true?
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Kyleran said:
    Zultra said:

How many employees?

;)
    There is an old saying. If something looks too good to be true.....It (probably) is.

Where have they referred to COE as being a AAA game?
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    People just LOVE to be critical of others its an obsession for some.  I could give two shits about them missing some arbitrary deadline for a freaking web page WHO CARES, they will get it done have some freaking PATIENCE.  All these flipping arm chair everything people are driving me nuts.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Vucar said:
    Vucar said:
    The main reason I won't back any game.  If a dev isn't willing to back their own idea, then why should I?
    He already backed it with $500k before the kickstarter of his own personal money.
    I would want to see an independent auditors report before accepting that. After all his resume shows a failed company that he presumably put his own personal money into in 2009, not a lot of tme to accumulate another 500k.
    If you had done any reading on his background at all, you'd know Caspian sold his dream home to come up with that 500k. 

An investor has a right to see precisely what funds have been made available and where they have been allocated during game development.

Some random on the internet that clicks "LOL" on all the comments he disagrees with is not entitled to that information. Neither am I, for that matter.

I am just a kickstarter backer. I accept that I took him at his word that he put money down for this project and i pledged an amount I wouldn't lose sleep over even if i had taken it out of my wallet and set fire to it. 

That's all there is to it regarding backing: you believe them, have some faith, and donate some money -- then you walk away and hope for the best. Or, you don't have faith, and you don't donate money.
    Firstly I only click LOL on posts I find amusing or silly. Lots of posts I disagree with and never click any of the buttons.

Secondly I think you are being incredibly naive if you buy that story about the dream home and the $500k based on his resume. Sure it could possibly be true but it is very unlikely.

Finally you are absolutely right with your last paragraph. I don't have any faith in his promises or the money story, and so I didn't donate any money. I am just totally gob smacked that apparently intelligent people did.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited August 2016
    Maygus said:

Where have they referred to COE as being a AAA game?
    "There is an old saying. If something looks too good to be true.....It (probably) is.

MMORPG Title on 1.5M in 2 years?

Doesn't that sound a little too good to be true?"

OK, I've made the necessary changes. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    goboygo said:
    People just LOVE to be critical of others its an obsession for some. 
    Does this obsession to being critical of others only apply to developers or does criticizing other posters for criticizing developers fit?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So, is the store up?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Firstly I only click LOL on posts I find amusing or silly. Lots of posts I disagree with and never click any of the buttons.

Whatever you say chief.

Secondly I think you are being incredibly naive if you buy that story about the dream home and the $500k based on his resume. Sure it could possibly be true but it is very unlikely.

Actually I buy that story because he showed pictures of it to me, and i happen to live very close to the SBS office and the property he linked, and i'm familiar with the area.

Sure it could possibly be the case that he went to a lot of trouble to fool me about $500k he didn't have, but that would almost be as weird as fanatically stalking an mmo you think will fail for months and months.
    Vucar said:

Whatever you say chief.

Actually I buy that story because he showed pictures of it to me, and i happen to live very close to the SBS office and the property he linked, and i'm familiar with the area.

Sure it could possibly be the case that he went to a lot of trouble to fool me about $500k he didn't have, but that would almost be as weird as fanatically stalking an mmo you think will fail for months and months.
    Yeah, sure.
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Vucar said:

Whatever you say chief.

LOL even the most gullible person would find any of that as believable!
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

Vucar said:

It all makes sense now.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Wow, quoted by 3 people in a row.

That comment about being weird mmo stalkers really hit close to home didn't it.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    well well well

look like i was right calling peoples backing this kinda crazy

that was their first mmorpg, and would be biggest that anything we have ever got, got so many crazy features we have yet to see any dev release even from AAA dev team with hundred of peoples... yet this small team indie team first gamewould have pull that in a budget who would be 10% of what they would have need ?

let me call it before they do : they will tell they need more money

in 8 years this game not releases, but hey they got YOUR money lol why they would do more ?
    Vucar said:

Funny thing Vucar, your profile says that you live in Freemont California not Issaquah Washington. Now I may be wrong but it seems to me that is inconsistent with your statement:

"I happen to live very close to the SBS office and the property he linked, and i'm familiar with the area."
    Vucar said:

Funny thing Vucar, your profile says that you live in Freemont California not Issaquah Washington. Now I may be wrong but it seems to me that is inconsistent with your statement:

"I happen to live very close to the SBS office and the property he linked, and i'm familiar with the area."
    Oh god, you caught me, you caught me in my web of lies!

Or i put something bogus when i was forced to select a city on creating my account here. 

Are you telling me you actually put your real complete name, your actual address, city, state, and birthday on this site? Is that what you just inadvertently admitted to?
    Vucar said:
    Vucar said:

Oh god, you caught me, you caught me in my web of lies!

Or i put something bogus when i was forced to select a city on creating my account here. 

Are you telling me you actually put your real complete name, your actual address, city, state, and birthday on this site? Is that what you just inadvertently admitted to?
    Personally I am going with the web of lies, after all you just admitted lying. You just left it to us to pick when: in May 2015 when you had no real reason to or now when you have been caught in a fantasy of your own contriving.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    This is massively derailed now...
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Maygus said:
    It is a bastion of shit, the trolls have swarmed
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
    Zultra said:
    Maygus said:
    It is a bastion of shit, the trolls have swarmed
    Or alternatively, particularly given the OP, it is a bastion that the fanbois keep on attempting to storm, and keep on failing to do so.
    So, is the store up?
    Not yet.  As far as I can tell the store is indefinitely delayed.  

So, is the store up?
    Which all goes to underline your original post:

"As with all Kickstarters it comes down to the company's ability to deliver on what they promise and in the time frame they promise it.  In no way, shape or form can this fiasco give anyone confidence in their ability to deliver.  So far they had one deliverable post kickstarter and they have utterly failed even after multiple delays."
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    So, is the store up?
    Not true at all. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Zultra said:
    So, is the store up?
    Not true at all. 
    Then what is the official statement?
    Harbinger of Fools