Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website/Store fiasco continues- Dev tells fans that criticizing them does not help...

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    While people continue spreading rumors about Caspian perhaps they should actually get the FACTS first...like check what happened back in October 2015...
    I dunno.. lemme guess, he neglected to update his very public LinkedIn profile ?
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeromywalsh

I'd have checked on their website too, but unfortunately it's not working at this time...
    I haven't updated mine in years. I also have a Facebook account that I haven't used in years. Why is it such a drama...unless of course the guy who posted it wanted to CAUSE drama and you went along with it because you want to as well.

Up to you but if you want to post lies or spread rumors don't get defensive when someone points them out. 
    So far, you've pointed out nothing at all. You have however made some very slanderous allegations.

Jeromy Walsh's status is not a "rumour" or a "lie", it's there for all to see on his LinkedIn profile.

If he doesn't update his LinkedIn profile, that's not my problem, it's his problem.

If you want to use Social Media, make sure you keep it up to date.  

If you are too slack to maintain your info, delete your profile, otherwise all kinds of people may get the wrong idea about you.

In October he went full time on the game. 

That wasn't so hard, was it now ?

Why did it have to start with cutesy innuendo and then descend into slander before arriving at that simple revelation ?

I'm sorry if my questions and statements make you so uncomfortable that you'd prefer if I just went away. Rather think of it as the start of a long relationship ! 

I'm fascinated by the design of this game, so I'll be following it (at a safe distance) until it either launches or is cancelled. I have no intention of backing the project financially. However, I have every intention of enthusiastically contributing criticism and praise as I see fit.

Tbh, I was shocked to see that LinkedIn profile. Up to that point, I firmly believed that Jeromy (and the rest of the team) were working full-time on CoE. It's a great relief to hear that that profile is in fact wrong.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    While people continue spreading rumors about Caspian perhaps they should actually get the FACTS first...like check what happened back in October 2015...
    I dunno.. lemme guess, he neglected to update his very public LinkedIn profile ?

I'd have checked on their website too, but unfortunately it's not working at this time...
    I haven't updated mine in years. I also have a Facebook account that I haven't used in years. Why is it such a drama...unless of course the guy who posted it wanted to CAUSE drama and you went along with it because you want to as well.

Up to you but if you want to post lies or spread rumors don't get defensive when someone points them out. 
    So far, you've pointed out nothing at all. You have however made some very slanderous allegations.

Jeromy Walsh's status is not a "rumour" or a "lie", it's there for all to see on his LinkedIn profile.

If he doesn't update his LinkedIn profile, that's not my problem, it's his problem.

If you want to use Social Media, make sure you keep it up to date.  

If you are too slack to maintain your info, delete your profile, otherwise all kinds of people may get the wrong idea about you.

In October he went full time on the game. 

That wasn't so hard, was it now ?

Why did it have to start with cutesy innuendo and then descend into slander before arriving at that simple revelation ?

I'm sorry if my questions and statements make you so uncomfortable that you'd prefer if I just went away. Rather think of it as the start of a long relationship ! 

I'm fascinated by the design of this game, so I'll be following it (at a safe distance) until it either launches or is cancelled. I have no intention of backing the project financially. However, I have every intention of enthusiastically contributing criticism and praise as I see fit.

Tbh, I was shocked to see that LinkedIn profile. Up to that point, I firmly believed that Jeromy (and the rest of the team) were working full-time on CoE. It's a great relief to hear that that profile is in fact wrong.
    Fact checking isn't so hard either. Made easier by actually following the game too. 

So if you are going to be critical at least check your facts first. Too many posters here just spread lies and I don't care what the subject is, if it is a lie it pisses me off. 

And seeing as a lot of people would get updates on the game from here, it is even worse seeing falsehoods spread about.

I certainly do NOT want to lump you in with certain posters on these forums as up till now I have always thought your comments were sound but when talking about COE you seem to just believe what anyone states no matter the truthfulness of the statement. 

You still haven't pointed anything out, you just invited speculation.
    How important is an out of date Linkedin profile to you? Personally I have NEVER had a use for it. Everyone I ever linked to I knew personally and every job I ever got while in IT was either through recommendation or interview with a CV. 

So I fail to see why an out of date profile is either important or even relevant other then it being the new thing to bitch about today. 
    Ah, I see the root of the problem here !

You assume because LinkedIN is of no importance to you, it is of no consequence to anyone. You couldn't be more wrong.

I have landed several IT contracts via my LinkedIN profile. Recruiters really do use it to look for potential hires. LinkedIN even offers an extensive search function as part of their Premium package.

How important is an out of date Linkedin profile to you? Personally I have NEVER had a use for it. Everyone I ever linked to I knew personally and every job I ever got while in IT was either through recommendation or interview with a CV. 

So I fail to see why an out of date profile is either important or even relevant other then it being the new thing to bitch about today. 

You assume because LinkedIN is of no importance to you, it is of no consequence to anyone. You couldn't be more wrong.

I have landed several IT contracts via my LinkedIN profile. Recruiters really do use it to look for potential hires. LinkedIN even offers an extensive search function as part of their Premium package.
    It is no longer useful to me because I own my own business so no one is going to be checking my profile to hire me. 

I suspect that someone who has just put together a new business and become their own boss is also in that position which is why I doubt it is that high up his list of things to do and easily forgotten.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

It is no longer useful to me because I own my own business so no one is going to be checking my profile to hire me. 

I suspect that someone who has just put together a new business and become their own boss is also in that position which is why I doubt it is that high up his list of things to do and easily forgotten.

So why didn't you just lead with the statement that he went fulltime last year? Instead you lead with a cryptic comment that lead both me and gecko to check LinkedIn. Then when we referred to it you stayed in cryptic mode for some more posts, again why not just say it?

Exactly who is feeding the drama llama here?

Finally, having fed the drama you have yet to provide proof. Now it makes sense to me that he is working fulltime on CoE. But if you really want to refute whoever it was that originally brought up his employment by Microsoft you really should have some proof to show the room.

So why didn't you just lead with the statement that he went fulltime last year? Instead you lead with a cryptic comment that lead both me and gecko to check LinkedIn. Then when we referred to it you stayed in cryptic mode for some more posts, again why not just say it?

Finally, having fed the drama you have yet to provide proof. Now it makes sense to me that he is working fulltime on CoE. But if you really want to refute whoever it was that originally brought up his employment by Microsoft you really should have some proof to show the room.
    I thought all supporters of the game knew that info. Seeing as you are both posting here all the time about one thing or other I didn't feel the need to tell you what you should already know...being fans and all. 

Sorry but don't blame me for your lack of knowledge. 

And if you want proof why not call Microsoft and ask for their personnel department and make sure yourself. I am sure there is absolutely nothing I could say to make you believe the truth so go for it and prove it for yourself. 
    edited July 2016

I thought all supporters of the game knew that info. Seeing as you are both posting here all the time about one thing or other I didn't feel the need to tell you what you should already know...being fans and all. 

And if you want proof why not call Microsoft and ask for their personnel department and make sure yourself. I am sure there is absolutely nothing I could say to make you believe the truth so go for it and prove it for yourself. 
    ... and there you go feeding the drama yet again.

With slurs and personal attacks, the best bit is I said it made sense to me that he is working fulltime on the game and that I actually did not comment about his employment status until your first cryptic comment.

.... and of course still no substantiation of your assertion, and you wonder why you get so manyLOLs.
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    My predicition for tonight.

Hey folks! We're so excited to show you all the new website tomorrow! We just have a  last minute fixes to make and it will be live tommorrow. Seriously. Tomorrow. For sure this time.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    They need to do another kickstarter to buy a person to talk to the public that is not JEROMY WALSH. Every time he responds to the public you get some sort of butthurt counter to pressures that are endemic to the industry. Internet Trolls? Whaaat? People questioning your statements and intentions? Whaaaat?

Seriously either turn off your emotions when doing your job, or just let someone with better skills at public relations do the talking. 

Press Release from CoE Staff concerning failures:
    From Hell's heart I stab at thee! Thou hast wounded us to the quick! (OOC Thank you to those who don't call us on our shit.)

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    My predicition for tonight.

Hey folks! We're so excited to show you all the new website tomorrow! We just have a  last minute fixes to make and it will be live tommorrow. Seriously. Tomorrow. For sure this time.

Benjamin Franklin said: "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

But my wicked Irish friends gave me a different version: "Why postpone until tomorrow that which you can delay indefinitely ?"

It will be done when it's done...

And until then we'll mercilessly "take the mickey out of them" ! :D

... and there you go feeding the drama yet again.

With slurs and personal attacks, the best bit is I said it made sense to me that he is working fulltime on the game and that I actually did not comment about his employment status until your first cryptic comment.

.... and of course still no substantiation of your assertion, and you wonder why you get so manyLOLs.
    Please direct me to the slur.

Please direct me to the personal attack.

And my assertion was to check before you claim he is working 2 jobs. It is common knowledge for people who follow the game that he sold his house and quit his job etc...

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    If you put your business plan on display to the public then fail to meet goals... don't blame the public for the response you get.  You're the one that fucked up.  Take responsibility.  Understand that criticism is the part of all things in life.  Especially when you're holding onto other peoples' money for the express purpose of meeting specific goals that you failed to meet.  The public did not set these timelines, you did.  If you fail to meet them man the fuck up and admit you fucked up. Don't have ANY part of your response be "Please we're sensitive, and although we essentially are holding your money hostage and failing to meet the criteria of what we said we were going to accomplish with the help of your money, our feelings are hurt when we fuck up and you point it out".  This is not an acceptable response. 
    If you put your business plan on display to the public then fail to meet goals... don't blame the public for the response you get.  You're the one that fucked up.  Take responsibility.  Understand that criticism is the part of all things in life.  Especially when you're holding onto other peoples' money for the express purpose of meeting specific goals that you failed to meet.  The public did not set these timelines, you did.  If you fail to meet them man the fuck up and admit you fucked up. Don't have ANY part of your response be "Please we're sensitive, and although we essentially are holding your money hostage and failing to meet the criteria of what we said we were going to accomplish with the help of your money, our feelings are hurt when we fuck up and you point it out".  This is not an acceptable response. 
    They didn't say that. 
  • DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Wow this thread just needs closing now

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Update: we've been upgraded to "very soon". Classic :)

https://www.irccloud.com/pastebin/m2ZnebZj/Caspian Updates

Update: we've been upgraded to "very soon". Classic :)

https://www.irccloud.com/pastebin/m2ZnebZj/Caspian Updates

Frankly, that's a huge improvement over making a fool of yourself on a daily basis.

If you repeatedly show people that your estimates are hopeless, they're going to start thinking that you don't know what you're doing.
  • slagathoreslagathore Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited July 2016
    I'm done with [mod edit] Jeromy Walsh. I was there earlier today when he gave an update:

[16:26] == mode/#ChroniclesOfElyria [+m] by Caspian
    [16:26] <@Caspian>; There we go.
    [16:26] <@Caspian>; For those who missed Caeoltoiri's update. (She should have muted you first)
    [16:26] <@Caspian>; (4:25:01 PM) Caeoltoiri: Heh, okay. Hey everyone! We're chugging along and are going through the checklist for final sign-off on the website. It's been a wild ride these last few days and we're extremely grateful for all your guys' (and gals') support and patience thus far. To my immense relief, I've managed to convince Jeromy to hold off on giving a time (thank Angelica and Luna
    [16:26] <@Caspian>; (4:25:01 PM) Caeoltoiri: and all the Qin) on when the site is expected to go up, so we'll just say 'very soon(tm)'.
    [16:26] <@Caspian>; So no dates from me.
    [16:27] <@Caspian>; Regarding the transparency...
    [16:27] <@Caspian>; It's pretty simple.
    [16:27] <@Caspian>; We can be less transparent. We can tell you what we're working on, but not when our deadlines are, when we expect to have it done, when we'd like to have it done, etc...
    [16:27] <@Caspian>; But then, you all need to stop asking.
    [16:27] <@Caspian>; No more "when's alpha, when is the website up, when is this feature available."
    [16:28] <@Caspian>; Because saying "More Transparency!! We want to know when you *think* this'll be done, but then getting pissy when we tell you when we *think* it'll be done, and being wrong is well... yeah."
    [16:28] <@Caspian>; Also, if you've read Maygus' message from above.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; I explain why just pushing back the deadline doesn't help.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; It's about urgency vs. importance.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; The website isn't urgent in most circumstances.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; Even though it's important.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; When there's urgent things always coming up, every day, which I have to deal with due to us being under staffed, the "important" stuff will continue to fall behind until it becomes urgent,
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; So we made it urgent.
    [16:29] <@Caspian>; You're experiencing our growing pains.
    [16:30] <@Caspian>; For those people who look back and say "Yeah, I was there for the great website migration" with fondness, great.
    [16:30] <@Caspian>; The rest, feel free to criticize, provide suggestions, tell us how we should have done it, et.c..
    [16:30] <@Caspian>; etc.*
    [16:30] <@Caspian>; In the end, we have very good reasons for doing it the way we are.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; In many cases, we just can't tell you what those reasons are.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; But.... have some faith/trust.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; Website will be up soon (tm).
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; Store and messaging are still undergoing some issues.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; We'll be bringing the website back up with all features aside from the store and messaging.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; Thanks for your patience though.
    [16:31] <@Caspian>; Still looking forward to having the site back up.
    [16:32] <@Caspian>; Believe me, you think you're ready for the site to be back up, try being on our end. :-)
    [16:32] <@Caspian>; We're looking at like 5 days of stress, very little sleep, etc.
    [16:32] <@Caspian>; So yeah, we want the site back online too.
    [16:32] == mode/#ChroniclesOfElyria [-m] by Caspian

The irony of how they talk of being the most transparent developers in the world but at 16:31 he says "we just can't tell you what those reasons are".

Why can't they? They are so transparent after all, right? Maybe he thinks we can't understand big scary words or maybe he's being vague on purpose because he doesn't want to explain himself.

I can't believe I fell for this silver-tongued ass clown and pledged money. Not only can they not get a website back up and running, he keeps feeding the "tomorrow!" line to everyone. And it is ALWAYS excuses. I'd have a shred of respect for him if he would just say "I fucked up when I made the decision to bring the site down without having the proper help in place first". He's the goddam leader of the company and he doesn't have the foresight to leave a functioning website alone until he can pay someone to do it right? That more than anything shows me he is not ready to lead this massive project.

And where are the fucking game updates, Jeromy? He has said work continues as usual on the game and promised weekly Kickstarter updates. He's missed two of those now. He's got time to hop into IRC about every hour and chat with people (mostly whine about how tired they are and let people stroke his ego) but not to stick to his own words about keeping backers in the loop.

I feel sorry for others who have backed the project, but I feel more sorry for the people he has used or will use that silver tongue of his to hire because when this all comes crashing down -- and it will -- they will be unemployed and get to have that nice shit stain on their resume.

/rant
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Wow this thread just needs closing now
    Thread's not off topic. It's just being used for opinions that you don't like. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Anyone know anything about his previous stint as CEO?
    Four years with Modern Genealogy LLC as co-owner. There is a stub website with the domain name for sale at $540.

How many employees?
    Did it ever produce a working product? 
    GenSoftReviews has an entry but no reviews http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?p=1059
    Was the company sold or did it fail?

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Four years with Modern Genealogy LLC as co-owner. There is a stub website with the domain name for sale at $540.

How many employees?
    GenSoftReviews has an entry but no reviews http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?p=1059

The genealogy software was apparently in its "latest stages of testing" as of September 2008 or earlier. There was a link on the website to register to the Beta test (early access) from mid 2008 to early/mid 2011 if I'm correct, with the mention "The beta version of Modern Genealogy™ 2009 will be available for testing later this summer." The last screenshot for this website was taken in February 2011, then it went down. 

How many employees?

The genealogy software was apparently in its "latest stages of testing" as of September 2008 or earlier. There was a link on the website to register to the Beta test (early access) from mid 2008 to early/mid 2011 if I'm correct, with the mention "The beta version of Modern Genealogy™ 2009 will be available for testing later this summer." The last screenshot for this website was taken in February 2011, then it went down. 
    Interesting, kind of blows a large hole in his resume. Also gives us a hint at his ability to deliver a project on time.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

How many employees?

Interesting, kind of blows a large hole in his resume. Also gives us a hint at his ability to deliver a project on time.

Does it? As a scientist, I would question your sample size. Fuck, at least tooth paste companies ask 5 dentists. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:

How many employees?

Does it? As a scientist, I would question your sample size. Fuck, at least tooth paste companies ask 5 dentists. 
    Pffft... c'mon, we all know those toothpaste adds are fake ! :D
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:

How many employees?

Pffft... c'mon, we all know those toothpaste adds are fake ! :D

What?!?!?!:dizzy:

Next thing you'll be telling me is that Santa isn't real. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    They didn't say that. 
    That is precisely what their words amount to.  And the most laughable fact is that their statements afterwards about "we can be less transparent blah blah blah" is just more unprofessional emotional responses to their paying customers.  This is a very mickey mouse type operation.  Anyone who has given these people money should have had their eyes opened by this last incident if the previous writing on the wall was being ignored.