Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Wonder of No Mans Sky

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2016
    EVE, the X series, E:D, Star Citizen.... there's really not anything NMS has to offer that's new or innovative aside from the console graphics and controls.
    Well... to be fair.. all the world in NMS are procedurally generated, so there's a chance even the developers don't know exactly what to expect... seeing as how there's  18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

They purport that it will take 5 billion years to see all of the planets.  I mean.. I doubt the game servers are up for more than 10 years... but ...  exploration-wise...  none of the other games mentioned compare.
    I don't see how that's even a feature worthy of listing.
    "Hey, we have so much crap in this game that even your grandchildren's grandchildren will never see it, that's how awesome it is!"

You could tell everyone that if they find the super secret special asteroid (that isn't even in the game) that they'd get something special, and the puddle of coagulated intellect would cheer.

E:D has ~400 billion star systems, and nobody's gonna see those either. It's been done. Let it go lol.
    personally I think its a feature worth mentioning but its not a feature by itself worth people getting ultra uber hyped over and what really burns me is when they say 'nobody has ever done this' and then just trash talk ED as if this cartoon of a game is better and ED is just not important therefore 'its never been done'.

that is what fires me up

I think I could meet them half way if they just said 'oops yeah good point saying 'its never been done before' really isnt fair or correct but I am still intrested in the game'

that would be a really good middle ground

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    EVE, the X series, E:D, Star Citizen.... there's really not anything NMS has to offer that's new or innovative aside from the console graphics and controls.
    Well... to be fair.. all the world in NMS are procedurally generated, so there's a chance even the developers don't know exactly what to expect... seeing as how there's  18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

They purport that it will take 5 billion years to see all of the planets.  I mean.. I doubt the game servers are up for more than 10 years... but ...  exploration-wise...  none of the other games mentioned compare.
    but here is the thing

what is the difference between a game in which you and everyone you know or can see on youtube will never see the same thing

and a universe bigger than that.

nothing.

so statistically from my understanding Elite Dangerous already has this even though NMS is bigger. one STILL cant see it all anyway
    Not saying it's somehow better...  hell I don't even know what features NMS really has.  If it's just  "go to this planet, name it, name this dog looking thing,  look for pretty scenery"  I probably won't play it for long.  

I like exploration, but exploration without fear of danger, or at least some type of survival isn't really that great of a "game" to me.

I think... having all of these things generated in a way that not even the developers can really expect is a cool idea,  but...  years ago I played Spore and weirdly enough it had plenty of exploration as well as several game modes and features and I never even explored the majority of the planets in my own solar system.

Not sure how NMS will compare, or even if it's worth comparing NMS to anything else out there.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Just stop.

NMS is not Elite dangerous. There are ships and space and exploration, but its not the same game.

Things that are different are not the same.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    after you see about 15-30 planets your going to fully understand what "procedurally generated" means and realize "they got yo monez"
    Nyctelios said:
    .. Nobody can deny the huge implications this kind of approach can lead in terms of future games...
    does that sentence suggest that this approach has not already been done and that there already arent games in the market place right now that have this kind of approach and are not affecting the future of games?

after you see about 15-30 planets your going to fully understand what "procedurally generated" means and realize "they got yo monez"
    I personally haven't preordered it or plan to buy it on launch or anything,  but I do intend to play it eventually.  I've spent money on games I've never played,  I could probably do worse. 

I personally haven't preordered it or plan to buy it on launch or anything,  but I do intend to play it eventually.  I've spent money on games I've never played,  I could probably do worse. 
    one thing you learn with experience.

The more hype before a game is released with pre-order options the more likely its a marketing stunt

SEANMCAD said:

The more hype before a game is released with pre-order options the more likely its a marketing stunt
    Interesting take, but Spore had a lot of hype too, and as I said, I played that game quite a bit.  I lost my disk and rebought it during the steam sale and still enjoy playing it.

Exploration can be fun.  I do feel like I should know more about what this game offers aside from exploration.

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Kyleran said:
    Seems more like a boredom simulator, but let's see how it all turns out..
    Yeah I just see the gameplay loop being really boring after the first few hours.

Adding the GTA style police levels system was stupid - IMO. You should be able to burn an entire planet to the ground if that is your thing.

How is the galaxy so big yet the robot cops are just seconds away if you accidentally shoot a snufflebear thing while trying to harvest?

Completely kills the immersion - IMO.

Let people lay waste to entire planets resources and wildlife. All that's left is the named corpses. Now THAT would be a planet worth finding, someone took their TIME to de-life an entire planet.
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Interesting take, but Spore had a lot of hype too, and as I said, I played that game quite a bit.  I lost my disk and rebought it during the steam sale and still enjoy playing it.

Exploration can be fun.  I do feel like I should know more about what this game offers aside from exploration.
    first off you might love Spore but in the mean Spore was not a huge mega hit.

second off, I question that Spore had ultra uber hype with pre-orders being pushed harder that a used car salesman

third off I mentioned 'more likely' meaning its not a rule 100% but its a good indicator.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited July 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    @SEANMCAD, that's not what I said.

When I meant the implications of it I meant the focus on exploration linked with the art style and such. As far I know no game had such thing (as far sci-fi space mmo's goes). But the point is the game itself as whole and not bits and pieces. 

We have many games that uses some of NMS's mechanics as secondary mechanics, but we didn't have NMS.

I think that Star Citizen planetary mechanic fits itself within the game better than NMS mechanics fits themselves within NMS. I just meant NMS swaps what other games consider secondary mechanics with main mechanics... and I just think NMS needs something to support itself besides their exploration focus, something to make it worth your effort and time. "What else can I do besides wonder around aimlessly?"

Let's wait and see.

wait what?

so translated its:

'Nobody can deny the huge implications exploration and this art style will have on gaming..'

well first off the exploration already exists in the market so that leaves just the art style.

so yeaaah  I am that 'nobody' who is going to deny that the art style is not going to leave a huge impact of the future of gaming

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    heerobya said:

How is the galaxy so big yet the robot cops are just seconds away if you accidentally shoot a snufflebear thing while trying to harvest?

Wait what?! There are going to be Snufflebears in the game? Day one purchase.
    Bah ! Just another wannabe...

A true Snufflebear-fan would already have pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition ! :D
    edited July 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    @SEANMCAD exploration exists as a secondary focus. I don't know a game where the focus is exploration for exploration sake besides VR tech demos.
    I would not agree with that. Elite Dangerous is very exploration focused and in fact its career driven in exploration and it has more planets then you will ever see in a lifetime so we can mark that off the list with 'art style' being just the remaining

Kind of a weird article, but hey, newsflash, games don't live up to peoples expectations of them.  I think thats why Pokemon Go is as popular as it is, because people didn't have an expectation and for what it is, it's fun.

Spore likely wasn't an overwhelming success.. never said it was.. just saying that, in comparison I enjoyed playing in and could easily find myself playing NMS for similar reasons.  I mean.. Spore did sell well over a million copies.. but again, obviously if it was a successful franchise it would still be actively in production.

Anyways, still not sure what to expect from NMS... just pushing along what is confirmed in the game, which is lots and lots of planets and inhabitants of those planets. 

edited July 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    @SEANMCAD ED main mechanic focus is not exploration. Exploration is a mean to a point. That point is not exploration.

With that logic I would say Super Mario Bros for SNES is an exploration game because you must explore the level to find the end.

That's not how it works.

Most of the games "exploration is one think you can do" - not the thing you will do.
    COMPLETELY disagree.

1. the main focus of Elite Dangerous is exploration

2. even if it wasnt I would not consider 'because the game is 'focused' on it therefore nobody can deny it will change gaming for the better and have a large impact'...please...

3. The known feature list of Elite Dangerous compared to the known feature list of NMS when it comes to exploration is much more interesting.

4. and to be frank if 'exploration' is the main focus of NMS I am not sure that alone or with the art style is really going to be so compelling that it changes gaming forever. I mean really...

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I think the biggest difference is No Man's Sky is basically a single player exploratory game.
    Not an MMO or even really a multiplayer game with big PvP fights and such.

I think they must have plans for the game in the future.  Why would they make it an MMO if there is virtually no chance of running into someone you know?  The MMO part is probably for a future expansion based on $$$ they make from release.

So why wouldn't they brag about their plans?  Because... if they mention it, they are expected to get it into players hands - NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Even though they may need over a year to implement their MMO plans, you know if they even mention it;

I WANT MMO YOU PROMISED NOW OR I QUIT!  (Said it should be ready in a year)

MY GUILD WILL RAGEQUIT IF WE NO GET MMO YOU PROMISED! (Even if they add viable multiplayer, guild tools may not be ready until long after that)

YOU SUCK BECAUSE NO MMO THAT U PROMISED! (4 days after release, when it was projected for a year from release)

Small team, limited budget, they won't mention future plans until they are ready.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    heerobya said:
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah I just see the gameplay loop being really boring after the first few hours.

Adding the GTA style police levels system was stupid - IMO. You should be able to burn an entire planet to the ground if that is your thing.

Let people lay waste to entire planets resources and wildlife. All that's left is the named corpses. Now THAT would be a planet worth finding, someone took their TIME to de-life an entire planet.
    Allowing the player to run-amok on a planet or in space with no consequences is a sure-fire way to cause boredom in record time. Playing any game in "god-mode" gets old very fast.

The "space cops" introduce tension. It's something you have to work-around, specially early on when you are weak and ill-equipped. Having to operate in the constraints introduced by the Sentinels means the player has to plan and experiment to find the limits of what they can do. Push too hard too fast and you'll die.

There is a lore-based explanation for the Sentinels.

But NMS's systems exist primarily to facilitate gameplay, not simulate "realism". There are no gas giants in NMS's galaxies, because HG decided they want to make all planets explorable. There are no 20 minute interplanetary trips like in some of E:D's systems... :D 
    heerobya said:
    Kyleran said:

But NMS's systems exist primarily to facilitate gameplay, not simulate "realism". There are no gas giants in NMS's galaxies, because HG decided they want to make all planets explorable. There are no 20 minute interplanetary trips like in some of E:D's systems... :D 
    wait what? the game does not have gas giant you can fly around and collect data from (aka science). I just assumed that it would, that is another negative in my mind and a positive for ED

We get it, you like Elite Dangerous and are upset that NMS is more popular.

Dullahan said:
    We get it, you like Elite Dangerous and are upset that NMS is more popular.
    lol..

no again its

'..its never been done before..'

'umm sorry to interupt but ED has done it'

'how dare you bring all this fan boy negativity to the forums!'

edited July 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    @SEANMCAD you either don't know that the words "main" and "focus" mean or you are someone eager to start discussions for no reason on the internet. So according to your logic Dark Souls is a series about exploration since secrets and ways are only found exploring. 

Don't know why you are so aggressive towards the lack of ED mentioning but I saw enough to see where it ends. This is not about NMS versus ED.

Have a nice day.
    elite dangerous is likely MORE focused on exploration than NMS is.

HOWEVER, regardless of that fact NMS being 'heavy focused on exploration and its art style' is NOT enough to change the gaming industry and I DO deny that such said aspects will affect gaming industry in a large way despite you saying 'nobody can'.

flying around discovering stuff..really? a game changer for the ages? seriously?

SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    @SEANMCAD you either don't know that the words "main" and "focus" mean or you are someone eager to start discussions for no reason on the internet. So according to your logic Dark Souls is a series about exploration since secrets and ways are only found exploring. 

Don't know why you are so aggressive towards the lack of ED mentioning but I saw enough to see where it ends. This is not about NMS versus ED.

Have a nice day.
    elite dangerous is likely MORE focused on exploration than NMS is.

HOWEVER, regardless of that fact NMS being 'heavy focused on exploration and its art style' is NOT enough to change the gaming industry and I DO deny that such said aspects will affect gaming industry in a large way despite you saying 'nobody can'.

flying around discovering stuff..really? a game changer for the ages? seriously?
    Dude, it takes weeks to months just to master flight and landing in Elite Dangerous.

You can't honestly think a game that doesn't have that requirement to better enable players to explore is not more focused on exploration.