Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Wonder of No Mans Sky

SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
No Mans Sky (NMS) is the Psuedo-MMO that you will probably never run into anybody else in. Its such an (truly) innovative game and unique that it definitely has my attention. Imagine, there are some Quintilian amount of planets. Even if you ran into one or two planets that were named by somebody else, that is a feat all on its own, let alone running into somebody else in that universe.
Could you even imagine? 
You've been playing the game for 6 months, 8 months, a year, 2 years, 3 years and you finally run into somebody, on a planet, in a space station, what the fuck would you do. That would be crazy luck and probably was not even expecting it ever.
Sadly the game would be a great MMO but thats not what the devs have imagined for it. Its more of an artistic outlook, philosophical you could say.
Some dont even consider the fact that you might not even reach the center of the universe in the games life-time, if thats even your goal in the game.
NMS is probably the first game in a while that is trying to capture your mind and not your wallet.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Yup, the backlash is going to be a thing, I fear...
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Very interested to see the game when it ships.  I probably wont pre-order, been disappointed in the game industry and its hype for a while now, but will wait with enthusiasm to see the multiplayer aspect.

You might want to give "Empyrion: Galactic Survival" a look while you wait.  I got it for $12 during the steam sale and am really impressed with the game and dev team.  Lots of crafting, enemies hunting you, enemy transports dropping off troops at your base, flying to different planets for different ores, attacking enemy bases and it still in early access.  A ton more fun than the big AAA space title has been in development for 4+ years
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If the game was an MMO somebody would reach the center of the universe in 1 week tops (no sleep and poop bucket chair side) and name every planet and entity after his guild.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2016
    If NMS was an mmo it would crash and burn horribly. Hello games is a small indie team. They are chewing enough already with the scale and ambition in NMS as it is now. If they tried to make a persistent mmo they would choke on it. Leave mmos to big companies that can keep servers alive longer.

I just wish you could invite friends in NMS to explore together.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    @ Rojo I totally agree maybe have a limit to the amount of members you can join with like 1 or 2 at a time, or maybe you need to make an item in order to open a worm hole to your current galexy or something.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I'm gonna give this game a few weeks after launch to see if it's worth buying lol. By then the complaints will start to show up.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    While I will get it, wish it was co-op/team based.  Everybody having to share the same ship with a decent leash distance on the ground would work.  I don't need an MMO most of the time, just like to spend time with family or a few good friends.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    actually i don't think no man's sky even HAS a multiplayer. you just have a huge word, and some social features.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I will put money on the fact that someone has a meet up mod within 3 months of release. 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Just because it's a huge universe doesn't mean you will never find signs of someone else. I'm not really on top of NMS, but isn't there some kind of coordinate system? You gotta know where you fly one way or the other. So you could just agree on coordinates.

Another possibility is to simply make people start relatively close to each other. Sure, you can go into the wrong direction or miss a planet, but probabilty alone tells us that people will stumble upon each other if you put enough of them close by.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Seems more like a boredom simulator, but let's see how it all turns out..

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Yeah, it seems like a cool idea until I really think about it.  So I build an empire by myself....oh boy.
    Kyleran said:
    Seems more like a boredom simulator, but let's see how it all turns out..
    I think this game could have been good as a facebook game, share planets with your friends
    "Look what I found!"
    You could buy warp drive charges with real money tokens, name stuff you find for tokens, warp to friends for tokens lol. Oh well missed opportunity for them.

Legal Disclaimer: If Hello games or any other said entity wants to use this idea it is fine other than I must be featured in the credits for said game, application or software.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Snakex said:
    No Mans Sky (NMS) is the Psuedo-MMO that you will probably never run into anybody else in. Its such an (truly) innovative game and unique that it definitely has my attention.
    Granting that I'm no expert on NMS -- given how little real information on it is out there, it seems no one is -- I'm confused as to why people keep calling it 'innovative' and 'unique' when games like Elite and its predecessors have had most of the talked about features of NMS, and then some, for a very long time.

If there's one thing Elite has taught me, it's that a game world can indeed be too big, especially when it's the size of an ocean but only angstroms deep.

That, and the phrase 'procedural generation' is most often code for 'boredom generation'.

Perhaps NMS will escape this curse, for the sake of those riding the hype train I hope so, but I've so far seen nothing indicating it won't, for most, become real boring real fast.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    If NMS were an MMO.  Guilds would be claiming planets and territory.  Think Star Trek, and the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan zones. There would be a wiki zone map of space.

In Star Wars Galaxies (SWG), before some guilds realized that resource nodes, respawned every week.  They tried to capture, claim, and hold these nodes.  Later when they realized that large flat land was more important to place large harvester, this is what they captured, claimed, and held.

If there was an MMO like NMS, the cost of scouting and mapping zones of space must be high.  The cost of mining a gas giant planet or an asteroid field, must be high.  IMO, a guild should not be allowed to set up a mining station, only a planet size economy could take on that challenge.  They might control the in's and out's of a station like a gang, but not the station out right like a government. 

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    It looked pretty I will give you that one, but I stopped paying attention when I found out you can't play with any one. Star bound is a much better game, and has a lot more 2 do. Minus flying a space ship, but flying space ships is only fun the first 10000 you do it lol. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    going by just the description from the OP I am curious how its different from Elite Dangerous.

I might have missed one item in the OP description but from a quick scan it sounds like Elite Dangerous to me

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Why would they give it multiplayer if they aren't planning to have co-op, guilds, etc?  I think they have further plans for this game, but being a small studio with limited funding, they are doing this one thing at a time.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

'...never been created before....'

'um sir Elite Dangerous has these features.''

'why are you attacking this game with your negativity!!!'

that is a summation of many of the posts around here.rant off

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    SEANMCAD said:

'...never been created before....'

'um sir Elite Dangerous has these features.''

'why are you attacking this game with your negativity!!!'

that is a summation of many of the posts around here.rant off
    Lol i see what your talking about. Interesting how people will always do the predictable.
  • XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133
    EVE, the X series, E:D, Star Citizen.... there's really not anything NMS has to offer that's new or innovative aside from the console graphics and controls.
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    EVE, the X series, E:D, Star Citizen.... there's really not anything NMS has to offer that's new or innovative aside from the console graphics and controls.
    Well... to be fair.. all the world in NMS are procedurally generated, so there's a chance even the developers don't know exactly what to expect... seeing as how there's  18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

They purport that it will take 5 billion years to see all of the planets.  I mean.. I doubt the game servers are up for more than 10 years... but ...  exploration-wise...  none of the other games mentioned compare.

Well... to be fair.. all the world in NMS are procedurally generated, so there's a chance even the developers don't know exactly what to expect... seeing as how there's  18,446,744,073,709,551,616 planets.

They purport that it will take 5 billion years to see all of the planets.  I mean.. I doubt the game servers are up for more than 10 years... but ...  exploration-wise...  none of the other games mentioned compare.
    but here is the thing

what is the difference between a game in which you and everyone you know or can see on youtube will never see the same thing

and a universe bigger than that.

nothing.

so statistically from my understanding Elite Dangerous already has this even though NMS is bigger. one STILL cant see it all anyway

• XxPriestxXXxPriestxX Member UncommonPosts: 133

I don't see how that's even a feature worthy of listing.
    "Hey, we have so much crap in this game that even your grandchildren's grandchildren will never see it, that's how awesome it is!"

You could tell everyone that if they find the super secret special asteroid (that isn't even in the game) that they'd get something special, and the puddle of coagulated intellect would cheer.

E:D has ~400 billion star systems, and nobody's gonna see those either. It's been done. Let it go lol.
    Trolling, being trolled, getting banned, yelling at mods, getting perma banned, making new accounts, and still trolling this site since 2004 =D