Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Steam Survey: Vive is outselling Oculus by two to one

12346»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SEANMCAD said:
    So regarding resellers something just hit me far to late.

The supply numbers of Oculus is fixed, its finite, just like Vive is. So resellers dont mean anything.

Case in point. If I was a reseller and I put in my order for Oculus when I did which was about 1 week after pre-order release I would still not have my Oculus. So pretty much every single solitary Oculus that has been sold represents the first week (or less) and Amazon and Best Buy having them for sale for about 3 weeks.

I just now got my shipping confirmation, still not charged to my card of course
    Yes and no.

Supply looks fixed. Resellers can order months sometimes years before the general public though. And sometimes there is a tie in. If Amazon had "pre-ordered" 5M HTC Vive 18 months ago for example HTC would have built an extra factory or two. 

Number of resellers means "something" but without being able to see the big picture we have no idea what.

Lots of stuff about how stuff works deleted! 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The supply numbers of Oculus is fixed, its finite, just like Vive is. So resellers dont mean anything.

Case in point. If I was a reseller and I put in my order for Oculus when I did which was about 1 week after pre-order release I would still not have my Oculus. So pretty much every single solitary Oculus that has been sold represents the first week (or less) and Amazon and Best Buy having them for sale for about 3 weeks.

Yes and no.

Supply looks fixed. Resellers can order months sometimes years before the general public though. And sometimes there is a tie in. If Amazon had "pre-ordered" 5M HTC Vive 18 months ago for example HTC would have built an extra factory or two. 

Number of resellers means "something" but without being able to see the big picture we have no idea what.

Question out of ignorance and I would want factual answer if I can get one. In the case of Oculus specifically do we have reason to believe resellers were able to pre-order before the general public and if so what do we point to that suggests this is the case?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited July 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    That actually makes it look that much worse.
    yes

Oculus royally fucked up their supply chain, the SSD problem (now fixed), and their exclusives approach, the lack of Touch on release, adding xbox controller as default without a choice to not have one, and their odd PR toward the public.

However this is not a debate over which is better, this is a debate as to the leading cause of why they arent selling them at this time. I am suggesting the main reason for that is because I just got my shipping order confirmation which is about 3 months after I placed an order. I like every article I have read on this subject agrees.

I am NOT..I repeat I am NOT suggesting that Oculus would otherwise sell more and I am NOT I repeat NOT suggesting Oculus is a better product, nor more popular. I am simply saying at this point in time nobody should be confused as to why Vive is selling better. In fact I am surprised the numbers are not more 10 to 1 instead of just double. are we clear?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 
    On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

What happened to "Sold out more often than not" ?

edited July 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 
    On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

What happened to "Sold out more often than not" ?

because they have. what does that have to do with anything?

ah I see, yes because me being trolled was more important so I felt a disclaimer was more important as well

would you like me to explain to you in detail why I did not select the better product which is HTC Vive? would that get you off the console wars tit?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

Question out of ignorance and I would want factual answer if I can get one. In the case of Oculus specifically do we have reason to believe resellers were able to pre-order before the general public and if so what do we point to that suggests this is the case?
    It doesn't matter if they can preorder before others, the point is how many they are buying when they're available and at what cost.

For example... we can easily estimate that resellers are the ones buy the Rift and Vive together off of amazon.  Commonly enough that it is "most frequently bought together" which means that there were several people doing it.  

There is no real consumer reason why you need a Rift and a Vive. 

So for example if 5000 were sent to Amazon and sold by Oculus, how many of those were consumers and how many were resellers.  By the number of sets, it wouldn't be way off to say a large number of them are resellers seeing as how some resellers have a stock of over 10 sets.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

I guess we more or less agree, then. It may seem like splitting hairs, but I would argue that any stereoscopic POV transference that makes the user feel ' somewhere else' (note Da Vinci has been used for "telesurgery") is related to the technology that produced Rift, Vive et al in as much as the inception of cell phone technology is related to present day use.
    I'm definitely not trying to argue for or against it. Guess I just have a little stricter view of what VR is. I used to be fascinated by the Da Vinci set up, but I don't really think you can expand on it much in the way of moving more towards VR. The operations are too delicate and the lack of tactile feedback and simple feel limit going much further. I believe (not stating that as a fact). Telesurgeries are also not very common due to the need for a patient side unit as well as an anesthesiologist and another surgeon on standby on the patient end so they end up way more expensive. Operation Lindbergh had the very best connection available at the time made specifically for it and that was for proof of concept. After that it has mostly only been done in significant numbers in Canada.

To my earlier point, this article fairly well sums up why I mentioned the Rift being used as a training device alongside an actual surgery earlier. It could be a big breakthrough for the Da Vinci. Operator skill and comfort is the biggest issue with them now.
    http://www.healthline.com/health-news/is-da-vinci-robotic-surgery-revolution-or-ripoff-021215#10

I do think VR could be incredibly useful in training and disaster preparedness. An evolution of simulators being used in those fields, as well as the military. Possibly be able to get more results on physical reactions and thought processes when full body motion is involved. Also could be useful for training in lower budgeted or smaller schools where other resources might not be available. Da Vinci training as well.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of disaster preparedness, contact your cell provider to turn the FM radio chip (built into your phone) on.

Non-streaming, low battery consumption option that works even when networks and bars aren't available.

Halted only by some cell providers who want to sell bigger data plans.

http://activatefmchip.com/

SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

It doesn't matter if they can preorder before others, the point is how many they are buying when they're available and at what cost.

For example... we can easily estimate that resellers are the ones buy the Rift and Vive together off of amazon.  Commonly enough that it is "most frequently bought together" which means that there were several people doing it.  

So for example if 5000 were sent to Amazon and sold by Oculus, how many of those were consumers and how many were resellers.  By the number of sets, it wouldn't be way off to say a large number of them are resellers seeing as how some resellers have a stock of over 10 sets.
    so again. Any reseller who bought an Oculus 3 weeks after pre-order release still does not have anything to sell.

hello?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

so again. Any reseller who bought an Oculus 3 weeks after pre-order release still does not have anything to sell.

hello?
    Is this really how you think in day to day activities?  Just wondering, because, even if they preordered 10 of them at release, it doesn't mean that they either 

1) Sold them
    2) Didn't buy more
    3) Still have them
    4) Tried to sell them at all yet

there are a lot of options on what they *could* have done....  what we KNOW is happening is that there are dozens of resellers with dozens of headsets trying to sell them online, and not succeeding.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

If you want to sell your products through the big retailers, you have contracts and sales agreements. A retailer does not want you (the manufacturer) to compete against them and they don't want to sell their customers products that they can not supply, while you (the manufacturer) are supplying  your retail customers with the product. Usually under these contracts the manufacturer will  be able sell publicly for the MSRP and will not be able to sell for less and you can bet dollars to doughnuts that there are terms regarding supply and delivery.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Oculus was paying penalties to the big retailers for the problems regarding supply. 

Big retailers don't do business without contracts.

When you order directly from Oculus... your the last in line, not the first.  

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited July 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

If you want to sell your products through the big retailers, you have contracts and sales agreements. A retailer does not want you (the manufacturer) to compete against them and they don't want to sell their customers products that they can not supply, while you (the manufacturer) are supplying  your retail customers with the product. Usually under these contracts the manufacturer will  be able sell publicly for the MSRP and will not be able to sell for less and you can bet dollars to doughnuts that there are terms regarding supply and delivery.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Oculus was paying penalties to the big retailers for the problems regarding supply. 

I have no idea how that answers my question directly.

I think you are talking about things like Best Buy contracts. I am talking about 'resellers' who are buying them and selling them for 30% above the price Oculus is asking. 

Not the same group o people there buddy

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yes and no.

I think you are talking about things like Best Buy contracts. I am talking about 'resellers' who are buying them and selling them for 30% above the price Oculus is asking. 

Let me expand on my last sentence.

When your Joe Smoe Consumer and you order your retail Rift directly from the Oculus website. Your the last in line, not the first.

Your price gouging retailers are most likely buying through a distributor/supplier. If they are buying them the same way you did, they'd be dealing with the same problem. You wouldn't be in the retail business long when your paying retail. They also wouldn't be price gouging if they are paying retail and reselling as markups are usually a lot more than 30% with electronics.

Interesting how the Oculus store is stating that the product will ship within 2 business days.

https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/

Make me wonder..... if I order one today, will I get it before you? 

edited July 2016
    laserit said:

When your Joe Smoe Consumer and you order your retail Rift directly from the Oculus website. Your the last in line, not the first.

Your price gouging retailers are most likely buying through a distributor/supplier. If they are buying them the same way you did, they'd be dealing with the same problem. You wouldn't be in the retail business long when your paying retail. They also wouldn't be price gouging if they are paying retail and reselling as markups are usually a lot more than 30% with electronics.

Interesting how the Oculus store is stating that the product will ship within 2 business days.

1. The order in 2 days is something that just changed literally last night and I DID get my shipping notice, last night. Did you know that already and are just trolling? or did you just by chance on this very day deside randomly to check it out on the same day that the shipping problem was solved completely by chance? I think its the former

2. you are incorrect about 'last in line' in this specific case. What you are pontificating about are companies like Best Buy. Not 'I jack prices up.com' seller. Best Buy and Amazon have only had marginally better success at getting stock then I do

3. I am getting mine in my hand tomorrow evening according to shipping

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

1. The order in 2 days is something that just changed literally last night and I DID get my shipping notice, last night. Did you know that already and are just trolling? or did you just by chance on this very day deside randomly to check it out on the same day that the shipping problem was solved completely by chance? I think its the former

2. you are incorrect about 'last in line' in this specific case. What you are pontificating about are companies like Best Buy. Not 'I jack prices up.com' seller. Best Buy and Amazon have only had marginally better success at getting stock then I do

Now your accusing me of trolling? Is pontificate your new big word for the month?

I visited their site this morning for the first time in over a year to try and find any re-seller information in regards to your question.  

Incorrect about my last line? Well If their manufacturing and supply problem is finally sorted out and I can order one today and get it a day or two after you get your pre-order that you have been waiting months for. It certainly would seem that "You Were The Last in Line"

Scalper's pay retail, Re-sellers pay wholesale.

Hey... I own a metal manufacturing and fabricating company. My business has nothing to do with selling computers or hardware but guess what? Years ago I called a supplier, had them fax me a credit app and opened an account. I order whatever the fuck I want and I get it wholesale. Ordered myself a GTX 1080 a couple weeks ago and got it within a week at wholesale, when something is in stock I get it next day. I could of easily ordered twenty of them and be one of these price gougers if I wanted to.

Glad you finally getting your Oculus but as I said I can order one today from Oculus and get it a day or two after you.

Your pre-order meant shit. You were the last in line.

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Now your accusing me of trolling? Is pontificate your new big word for the month?

I visited their site this morning for the first time in over a year to try and find any re-seller information in regards to your question.  

Incorrect about my last line? Well If their manufacturing and supply problem is finally sorted out and I can order one today and get it a day or two after you get your pre-order that you have been waiting months for. It certainly would seem that "You Were The Last in Line"

Scalper's pay retail, Re-sellers pay wholesale.

Hey... I own a metal manufacturing and fabricating company. My business has nothing to do with selling computers or hardware but guess what? Years ago I called a supplier, had them fax me a credit app and opened an account. I order whatever the fuck I want and I get it wholesale. Ordered myself a GTX 1080 a couple weeks ago and got it within a week at wholesale, when something is in stock I get it next day. I could of easily ordered twenty of them and be one of these price gougers if I wanted to.

Glad you finally getting your Oculus but as I said I can order one today from Oculus and get it a day or two after you.

Your pre-order meant shit. You were the last in line.

does not change what I said I am sorry