Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Steam Survey: Vive is outselling Oculus by two to one

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:

So, if it is on the market, and you have the ability to buy it, it is unavailable?  

Pretty sure you gave no solid explanation apart from "It should be discarded" 
    I have already explain this to you. We are talking statistics here
    No.... we aren't.  We're talking availability....  you wanna know how I know that...  

SEANMCAD said:

I am talking about availability.

I have no fucking clue what you are talking about but it sounds like your trying to change the subject again

and yes my dear trolls the same rule applied to GTX1080 so you all can come out of hiding now.

so what you are saying is that people are buying HTC Vive more so because the demand is so strong for Oculus that resellers are buying them all and selling them for a high price.

wait that doesnt make sense, much like your conclusions on this matter.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

So, if it is on the market, and you have the ability to buy it, it is unavailable?  

No.... we aren't.  We're talking availability....  you wanna know how I know that...  

SEANMCAD said:

I have no fucking clue what you are talking about but it sounds like your trying to change the subject again

and yes my dear trolls the same rule applied to GTX1080 so you all can come out of hiding now.

so what you are saying is that people are buying HTC Vive more so because the demand is so strong for Oculus that resellers are buying them all and selling them for a high price.

No.. the marketing is so strong that resellers are buying BOTH the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift and NOT selling them.  Hence, why they are still on the market.  You see this too... you just don't want to admit it.  You no longer concede points even when you're blatantly wrong, even when you originally post that information.  

You'll disassociate yourself with your own comments if its in the spirit of proving someone wrong.. even if that person is yourself. 

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

No.. the marketing is so strong that resellers are buying BOTH the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift and NOT selling them.  Hence, why they are still on the market.  You see this too... you just don't want to admit it.  You no longer concede points even when you're blatantly wrong, even when you originally post that information.  

You'll disassociate yourself with your own comments if its in the spirit of proving someone wrong.. even if that person is yourself. 
    the marketing is so strong that only resellers fall for it and overtime dont notice a trend different from the koolaid?

lol.. yeaahh 

interesting observation however although its silly it also has the advantage of not explaining why one is selling more than the other

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

the marketing is so strong that only resellers fall for it and overtime dont notice a trend different from the koolaid?

lol.. yeaahh 

interesting observation however although its silly it also has the advantage of not explaining why one is selling more than the other
    We don't know at what rate one is selling more than another, these are only Steam numbers, and while Rift is shy about listing numbers, we don't know the exact ratio. But why are there less resellers on the market for the Vive?

Aside from it being a better product, perhaps the demand is low enough now that the Vive can keep up with production -- now that resellers are dropping their prices due to both sets not selling particularly well. Look at the Rift.. when I first started posting pictures of the costs of reseller prices they were at nearly 900 dollars.

Now look at them... you can buy them via non-prime resellers for less than 800. Resellers are dropping prices because nobody is buying. There are a lot of resellers selling the Rift on amazon. Fact. You see it, you just want to pretend that it means the Rift is doing well, when in actuality, if it was doing well, resellers wouldn't have to drop prices just to move the hardware.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    I'd say AR just hit it out of the park. No special hardware required.

Stand by for a whole slew of AR-inspired apps now.
    except that AR looks like shit.
    Well... IMHO 2160 x 1200 a couple inches from my eyes looks like shit too.

Maybe 4k might be the ticket but the current resolution just does not cut it. Fifteen minutes is about all I can personally handle. But then again I wonder how the hell I made due with 640 X 480 back in the day ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited July 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

Well... IMHO 2160 x 1200 a couple inches from my eyes looks like shit too.

Maybe 4k might be the ticket but the current resolution just does not cut it. Fifteen minutes is about all I can personally handle. But then again I wonder how the hell I made due with 640 X 480 back in the day ;)

oops I replied to wrng thread ignore this reply because there is no delete option

edited July 2016

We don't know at what rate one is selling more than another, these are only Steam numbers, and while Rift is shy about listing numbers, we don't know the exact ratio. But why are there less resellers on the market for the Vive?

Aside from it being a better product, perhaps the demand is low enough now that the Vive can keep up with production -- now that resellers are dropping their prices due to both sets not selling particularly well. Look at the Rift.. when I first started posting pictures of the costs of reseller prices they were at nearly 900 dollars.

Now look at them... you can buy them via non-prime resellers for less than 800. Resellers are dropping prices because nobody is buying. There are a lot of resellers selling the Rift on amazon. Fact. You see it, you just want to pretend that it means the Rift is doing well, when in actuality, if it was doing well, resellers wouldn't have to drop prices just to move the hardware.
    so let me see if i get this right.

Someone like me who doesnt want a Vive because he doesnt have the space, wants an Oculus but is not willing to pay more just to get it sooner and dosent trust resellers is a statistical outlier because clear most people will be willing to pay 30% more for something just to get it a few months ahead of schedule AND buy it from a reseller.

hmmm

more over, if you 'buy' and oculus it doe not register as a sale until you get it shipped so we really have no idea how many people are doing EXACTLY what I am doing
    Post edited by SEANMCAD on

SEANMCAD said:

so let me see if i get this right.

Someone like me who doesnt want a Vive because he doesnt have the space, wants an Oculus but is not willing to pay more just to get it sooner and dosent trust resellers is a statistical outlier because clear most people will be willing to pay 30% more for something just to get it a few months ahead of schedule AND buy it from a reseller.

hmmm
    The purpose of resellers is to buy a product in high demand and sell it for more money.  

People that want something but don't want to wait, buy it from those resellers.  They do so because the demand is high.

Currently the demand isn't high.  If people were worried they would have to wait months or years to get them, and it mattered that much, they would put up the money now, even if the cost was higher.

Hence why manufactured demand is a problem.  You want to make sure you have ample supply if the demand is great enough so that you negate resellers taking advantage of people.

That isn't the case here.  If the Rift was available from the manufacturer regardless of how many resellers bought,  the resellers wouldn't be charging what they are.   

But because resellers aren't selling what they have, they are dropping prices.  

It's a very simple concept to understand. 

edited July 2016

The purpose of resellers is to buy a product in high demand and sell it for more money.  

People that want something but don't want to wait, buy it from those resellers.  They do so because the demand is high.

Currently the demand isn't high.  If people were worried they would have to wait months or years to get them, and it mattered that much, they would put up the money now, even if the cost was higher.

Hence why manufactured demand is a problem.  You want to make sure you have ample supply if the demand is great enough so that you negate resellers taking advantage of people.

That isn't the case here.  If the Rift was available from the manufacturer regardless of how many resellers bought,  the resellers wouldn't be charging what they are.   

An article on this subject said 'The main reason why Vive is selling better is because with Vive you can get it shipped to you in 2 days but with Oculus they are still giving people until August'

Now according to you the majority of people who wanted an Oculus would just go to a reseller and pay more instead thus trumping the reason stated in my quote. I disagree, I am not one of those people, the article I read didnt mention it which if its common then one would think he would but guess what...its not common.

So, are people buying the Vive instead of Oculus because 1. they can get it sooner without paying a pimp price, 2. Vive appears to have their shit together when it comes to shipping. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SEANMCAD said:

An article on this subject said 'The main reason why Vive is selling better is because with Vive you can get it shipped to you in 2 days but with Oculus they are still giving people until August'

Now according to you the majority of people who wanted an Oculus would just go to a reseller and pay more instead thus trumping the reason stated in my quote. I disagree, I am not one of those people, the article I read didnt mention it which if its common then one would think he would but guess what...its not common.

So, are people buying the Vive instead of Oculus because 1. they can get it sooner without paying a pimp price, 2. Vive appears to have their shit together when it comes to shipping. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You're not one of those people.. you're not one of a lot of people.  You aren't the majority.  You're taking a niche product and putting your even more niche perception on it.

People are buying vive insteadof Oculus because 1)  They want to.

Nothing else matters.  The Rift is still cheaper than the vive even with the marked up cost, if they were trying to save money.  People are buying the Vive because it's a better product and they are backing the horse with the better product for their money. 

And if you're considering 77K some odd sales a victory in that sense... more power to yah LOL

edited July 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

You're not one of those people.. you're not one of a lot of people.  You aren't the majority.  You're taking a niche product and putting your even more niche perception on it.

People are buying vive insteadof Oculus because 1)  They want to.

Nothing else matters.  The Rift is still cheaper than the vive even with the marked up cost, if they were trying to save money.  People are buying the Vive because it's a better product and they are backing the horse with the better product for their money. 

And if you're considering 77K some odd sales a victory in that sense... more power to yah LOL
    so the answer to my question very simply is

'yes' you see me as a statistical outlier.

why cant you just answer questions like that?
    I dont agree that I am however. I also think that if I and what I want was a statistical outlier then the author of the article I read statistically speaking would have very likely said 'however you can buy from resellers' but guess what? he didnt.

• ZunaahZunaah Member UncommonPosts: 40
    A friend of ours got the Vive and a bunch of games, then threw a party and invited everyone over to check it out. My boyfriend was curious, but not sold on the idea until he got the chance to try it. From personal experience, I played the hell out of that Vive across multiple games and never once experienced any sickness. My boyfriend who easily gets sea sick never experienced any issues either.

We can't wait to get one, but the only thing holding us back is saving the extra money to build a new rig in the livingroom and buying the Vive. If money wasn't an issued, we'd have it in our house yesterday.
    When logic fails.. instinct prevails

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

lol.. yeaahh 

Faulty logic/Selective logic.  You are implying that people don't want them so the price is dropping from 900 to 800.  It could very well be that people aren't buying them for 900 but are willing to buy for a lesser price.  The fact that they are buying them and selling them for more than retail suggests that there is still a shortage.  Otherwise resellers wouldn't be buying them and they would be charging hundreds more than retail.

I self identify as a monkey.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

People must have bought those hundred units available.  I don't see them.  I do see ten units left.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Rift/dp/B00VF0IXEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468210019&sr=8-1&keywords=oculus+rift

From resellers.  There's a few used ones for sale too.  Every one of them is asking for more than retail price.  I guess it's just because they like having their products not sold asking for so much when nobody wants them.

Thats 10 left in stock from an AMAZON PRIME reseller.  There's over 65 NEW some even cheaper than the PRIME listed price.  Sure, that IS down from the last time I had to posted this.. but not by much.  Yes there are also used units.. but there is still an overwhelming amount of NEW units,  and it looks like the prices are coming down from resellers because they aren't selling them right now.

So you're admitting it's a fluctuating market right?  So how could you determine it's failing or succeeding?
    Ridelynn said:

Except you're limited to your phone's screen.  Google glass was on to something, but they failed to deliver AR like it should've been.
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:

Yep, I think so too. I played Niantic's first AR game. It was fun, for a while.

This is what people want though, something that grabs and engages them. Until, or even if, VR can pull this off it will continue to flounder anemically.
    VR is different in concept than AR.  VR is a "virtual" environment, not an augmented one.  An augmented environment still uses the real world's environment around you.

I'm personally more excited about AR's future than VR, but at least get the concepts correct before dismissing one or the other.  VR will do fine, even if it never goes mainstream.
    observer said:
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:

This is what people want though, something that grabs and engages them. Until, or even if, VR can pull this off it will continue to flounder anemically.
    VR is different in concept than AR.  VR is a "virtual" environment, not an augmented one.  An augmented environment still uses the real world's environment around you.

I'm personally more excited about AR's future than VR, but at least get the concepts correct before dismissing one or the other.  VR will do fine, even if it never goes mainstream.
    the problem I have with AR in the context of gaming is that every single game you play has to have some context to your immediate real enviroment, that removes nearly all existing game contexts and all of current VR game contexts. Now it DOES create NEW game context that has never existed before other than in some rare cases but it cant do the vast majority of current game contexts like at all

mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

lol.. yeaahh 

Faulty logic/Selective logic.  You are implying that people don't want them so the price is dropping from 900 to 800.  It could very well be that people aren't buying them for 900 but are willing to buy for a lesser price.  The fact that they are buying them and selling them for more than retail suggests that there is still a shortage.  Otherwise resellers wouldn't be buying them and they would be charging hundreds more than retail.
    The point of fact is that resellers bought them.. they aren't buying them, they bought them and they are selling them at a decreasing price point.

That's how you gauge demand.  Now maybe they don't want to buy them at that price point.. but lets be honest.. when you have a sliding price point even things you don't want seem appealing.

"Well I don't really need a pineapple corer, but it's only 50 cents and I might eat a pineapple next week" 

Of course price matters.  But the premise stands behind the higher priced set that has less resellers selling the sets, is touted as being a better system in general and of course has some data released showing how many have roughly sold in general.

While there are some caveats to my theory you could pose,  you can't outright discredit them either. 

SEANMCAD said:
    observer said:
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:

the problem I have with AR in the context of gaming is that every single game you play has to have some context to your immediate real enviroment, that removes nearly all existing game contexts and all of current VR game contexts. Now it DOES create NEW game context that has never existed before other than in some rare cases but it cant do the vast majority of current game contexts like at all
    Hence, why some companies such as Magic Leap use the term "MR" as Mixed Reality,  as they believe it can be pieces of both.  It's the more adopted phrasing that I'm starting to believe the more I see what MR can do.  

SEANMCAD said:
    observer said:
    Torval said:
    Ridelynn said:

Hence, why some companies such as Magic Leap use the term "MR" as Mixed Reality,  as they believe it can be pieces of both.  It's the more adopted phrasing that I'm starting to believe the more I see what MR can do.  
    as a different type that may be true however as I have stated there are a great deal of gaming context's that will not be possible in AR and the vast majority of those will be deal breakers for me personally.

I dont mind needing to get up and go to the mall or so other space to play a game in public with mall walkers and others but in general I perfer my game time to be a complex escape of my current reality

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    The article should have said:

Steam users who own a VR headset who responded to the survey.

Given that Steam claimed 125M last year "Steam users" (the term used) would translate to many millions of high end VR sets! Which would imply some pretty powerful mobil devices out there as well.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

How does your Rift look in comparison? Or have you even got it yet?
    edited July 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

How does your Rift look in comparison? Or have you even got it yet?
    just now got confirmation of shipping

I dont get the point or sarcasm on your question I am sorry i just must be slow could you illustrate the point for me please?)

I can say however that the DK2 does look better than anything I have ever seen in demoed  AR so there is that

So regarding resellers something just hit me far to late.

The supply numbers of Oculus is fixed, its finite, just like Vive is. So resellers dont mean anything.

Case in point. If I was a reseller and I put in my order for Oculus when I did which was about 1 week after pre-order release I would still not have my Oculus. So pretty much every single solitary Oculus that has been sold represents the first week (or less) and Amazon and Best Buy having them for sale for about 3 weeks.

I just now got my shipping confirmation, still not charged to my card of course

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    That actually makes it look that much worse.