Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: 1.5 million hours of Alpha gameplay by 300.000 backers since December 2015

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited July 2016
    deleted - redundant post

• minagosminagos Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I have been in early alpha in other games, paid a fee for the access.

Some people are willing to support a game but not play it early on.

I am not picking a side, just noting what some players might do sometimes.
  • DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Erillion said:
    Where you worked .... Were people able to get a refund for three (!) years ? 

Software is often not refundable at all in shops (fear of software piracy and illegal copying). Hardware usually has a one year warranty/refund period. Three years was an unusually long period! 

And compared to a typical ZERO hours from ZERO players (as almost no one is doing public Alphas) the 1.5 million hours and 300.000 players is "not bad" ;-) for an Alpha test. 

Have fun
    I was not able to get a refund because Amy in support told me my pledge was past the statutory 14 day grace period.
    I don't know where you are getting the 3 year refund period from...
    Was Amy lying to me? 
    Darkages said:
    I was not able to get a refund because Amy in support told me my pledge was past the statutory 14 day grace period.
    Was Amy lying to me? 
    For the first three years of the project refunds were easy to get. They asked you for your reason for their internal statistics and then proceeded to refund. One of my friends lost his job and asked for (and got) a refund.

A few months ago CIG announced that they will stop to give these voluntary refunds (except for the 14 day period mentioned in their TOS).

I guess that all this information you can get from customer support on request.

Have fun
  • jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    It does not matter. As I already alerted, in the moment that people threatens a lawsuit, CIG will give them the refunds.

• mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Darkages said:

Was Amy lying to me? 
    There are other ways to get a refund. If you are in the UK, log a case in the small claims court and provide CIG with a case number afterwards. CIG has relented in those cases.

Otherwise, tell CIG you are going to do a charge back. You'll get an email from them saying either 'it is illegal to do a charge back' OR 'according to the ToS you agreed to, you are legally not allowed to do a charge back'. 
    File the charge back, include CIG's email and evidence of non-delivery and wait for VISA to reverse the charges.

I would be happy to help for anything you need on this. :)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    A lot of people looking at jpeg slide shows!

As others have said "beta tests" these days are usually part of the pre-launch campaign.

Destiny had a stress test that people bought a disc to enter and GW1 also had a "buy a box" series of weekend tests in its development - the first was "cool" but "garrish and crude" (don't think that needed the box either).

I think the last "big test" might have been WoW back in 2004 - 600k in the US followed with an overlapping EU beta. Very much a beta though following on from the internal alpha. 

All of the above - Destiny, GW1, WoW - benefitted from the testing. WoW especially I believe since the testing - and people knowing that there was a finished game - protected it from the day 1 meltdown issues. 

RSI possibly didn't want to enter alpha as soon as they did; it is potentially a lot of extra work with no payback and huge pressure. They have adopted the right policy though imo by not setting hard deadlines for stuff. And now the Issues Council is providing "good" as opposed to "casual" (but also good of course) feedback that can only benefit the game going forward.

Launching the alpha though has shifted the landscape. Things have gone from no employees / islands in the sun; through its all just jpegs show me the code to when if ever will it launch / will all the features be delivered.
  • fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Having a refund policy for the last 3 years is irrelevant,  there hasn't been a proper testing stage for people to get an idea of the larger game until 7 months ago.
    Perhaps people have waited patiently for 3 years and then tried for 2.1, 2.2 or whatever and just been disappointed that this is what they've got after all this time.

If they have $51 million past the $65 million they need then I'm sure they can grant refunds without running into problems.
    But you forgot the last two milestones: -

$100m milestone will allow us to pay for abortive work as a result of scope changes and a backwards development programme, and to adjust our original woefully inadequate budgets . 
    $110m milestone will enable us to fund increased remuneration packages for senior staff. 

You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
    fatears said:

$110m milestone

117 M$ milestone ;-)

Have fun
  • spacecat1911spacecat1911 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    This sounds really bad. Playing only 5 hours on average in 5 Months. I thought this game is more popular.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Not to argue for or against it, but given they still called the game alpha it's weird to have that many consumers "playing" any of it yet in the first place.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Just 1.5 million hours player by 300,000 possible players since December? That sounds pretty horrific really.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    filmoret said:
    Thats only an average of 5 hours per player.  Not good at all.
    Since December 2015,

1,500,000 / 300,000 = 5

I mean did they not think people could do math?

Nobody is playing this. Call me when there's a game. /yawn

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ShadelyShadely Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited July 2016
    You guys are a trip!!  However, let me give you a different perspective...

As someone who is a huge fan of crowdfunding and the freedom it provides for indie devs to create their games without the soul-sucking interference of corporate conglomerates like EA,who used to be the sole gatekeepers of game development and all of its regurgitated franchiseconsole ports (man those were bleak times)....this does not automatically mean that I'm also an avid alpha/beta tester.  

After many a year of being a beta tester, I've come to find that ultimately, it tends to have more of a negative impact for me when the same game is finally official launched.  It more often than not resulted in major burn out for me, basically. 

So now, I set aside monies to help support projects I find to be exciting and some times, I'll donate to a tier where I have alpha access.  It's nice to know that I have it but at the same time, I'm more than content to watch Let's Play vids (not many at all, I admit) and follow development on the main website.

So, to all of you chicken little's who are gleefully giggling over the number of testers and what that means in your world, just keep in mind that backers like me are not few and far between, we're just willing to back/support and wait for the official launch day so the experience is new and fresh for us.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2016
    Shadely said:

So, to all of you chicken little's who are gleefully giggling over the number of testers and what that means in your world, just keep in mind that backers like me are not few and far between, we're just willing to back/support and wait for the official launch day so the experience is new and fresh for us.
    How much additional money are you willing to give Star Citizen while you wait and sit on your already purchased game package?

Their numbers are really impressive for an alpha, but those numbers are nowhere near enough to support 200+ dev studio. Will they be able to make their game popular to play before they run out of money they can make through promises?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd trade all those nice numbers for a working time table that doesn't get delayed.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Vrika said:
    Shadely said:

How much additional money are you willing to give Star Citizen while you wait and sit on your already purchased game package?

Their numbers are really impressive for an alpha, but those numbers are nowhere near enough to support 200+ dev studio. Will they be able to make their game popular to play before they run out of money they can make through promises?
    They're going through rougly 40 million a year. I'm not sure how much they make on jpeg sales or how much they have from investors though. I'd say they have 3-4 years left in them, 2 years if they're going to buy more doors.
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    Shinimas said:
    Vrika said:
    Shadely said:

They're going through rougly 40 million a year. I'm not sure how much they make on jpeg sales or how much they have from investors though. I'd say they have 3-4 years left in them, 2 years if they're going to buy more doors.
    40 million! wow that is some figure, could you break down how you arrived at that figure? On a side note, why are you suggesting that if they buy new doors they will spend 80 million on them, doors are not really all that expensive, they could probably buy 100,000 new high grade doors for that kind of money. It is always nice to plan in a bit of contingency but I think perhaps 99,980 extra doors might be taking it a bit extreme, I think if they are a little more conservative they could probably make a saving of around 79,984,000 and still get all the new doors they need. Now I am starting to doubt your 40 million figure :(, it is almost like you are just making wild guesses based on nothing but fantasy.
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    edited July 2016
    Oriphus said:
    Shinimas said:
    Vrika said:
    Shadely said:

40 million! wow that is some figure, could you break down how you arrived at that figure? On a side note, why are you suggesting that if they buy new doors they will spend 80 million on them, doors are not really all that expensive, they could probably buy 100,000 new high grade doors for that kind of money. It is always nice to plan in a bit of contingency but I think perhaps 99,980 extra doors might be taking it a bit extreme, I think if they are a little more conservative they could probably make a saving of around 79,984,000 and still get all the new doors they need. Now I am starting to doubt your 40 million figure :(, it is almost like you are just making wild guesses based on nothing but fantasy.
    It was speculated. F42's annual spending is now known to be around 22 mil with an average number of employees at 132. Now, we also know that F42's spends the largest amount of money, so the rest pull a bit less. Let's assume 60k bucks a year per employee (fairly concervative imo, so it's 60k*190=11.4 mil) plus overhead (y'know, simple wooden garage doors and all) and 40 million sounds about right.
    edited July 2016
  • OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited July 2016
    Shinimas said:
    Oriphus said:
    Shinimas said:
    Vrika said:
    Shadely said:

F42's annual spending is now known to be around 22 mil
    Where from? was also hoping for a nice breakdown, the reason for that is one year i might invest money in something i don't need to purchase again making figures for the year not a typical annual outgoing.  
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    edited July 2016
    Oriphus said:
    Shinimas said:

F42's annual spending is now known to be around 22 mil
    Where from? was also hoping for a nice breakdown, the reason for that is one year i might invest money in something i don't need to purchase again making figures for the year not a typical annual outgoing.  
    Looks like it's from here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

@Shinimas
    Ty for that info. It's the first time I've seen any remotely useful numbers of how much they're spending

edited July 2016
    Vrika said:
     the first time I've seen any remotely useful numbers of how much they're spending
    @Vrika.  There have been around ten threads in this subforum alone with spending estimates. Most of them quite close to the numbers given in this Foundry42 financial statement. I would even call many of those estimates more conservative and somewhat higher (taking mocap filming cost, actors fees and external contractors into account). 

Have you missed all those posts and threads? Or did you not consider them valid estimates? If the later - why did you consider the previous estimates not even "remotely useful"?

Have fun

PS:
    If you want to see numbers .. try these:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

or more specifically these

Post edited by Erillion on
    edited July 2016
    EDIT:

@Erillion

Shinimas' post was the first time I found official data, and not just estimates.

I wanted to thank him for that. I did not really want to end up questioning the validity of past estimates. Sorry I phrased my message badly.
    Post edited by Vrika on

Vrika said:
    @Erillion

That was the first time I saw official information released by CIG
    You have not seen last years' information from the same source ? OK.

Have fun