Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy 16th Birthday Diablo II! - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHappy 16th Birthday Diablo II! - MMORPG.com News

It's hard to believe it's now nearly two decades (if you go with rounding, that is) since Diablo II was released by Blizzard Entertainment. Diablo II launched on June 29, 2000 with the game's first expansion, Lord of Destruction, coming a year later. If that doesn't make you want to get out the Depends and Dentugrip, nothing will.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I remember getting selected for the CBT that included the first town, the Den of Evil and nothing more. It was a HUGE 98Mb and took all night to d/l on dial-up. Good thing nobody needed the phone that night. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I still remember the creepiness of Diablo 1 and how scary the skeletons were or the fact my character had no face.
    I still remember the creepiness of Diablo 1 and how scary the skeletons were or the fact my character had no face.
    "FRESH MEAT....."

*screeches and runs for the stairwell or to kite him to one of the side rooms with a door* 

:anguished:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I think my Gamma was turned down so light mattered
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I remember playing diablo 2 for hours after hours for days, trying to tweak the class trees to suit my favorite play style; melee and realizing that playing range and running round and round was the best way to play the game. I remember how shocked i felt learning my favorite playstyle was worthless in solo play of higher difficulty.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Remember doing this so you wouldn't lose everything when you died...and your gear spewed all over the area? I still mourn the Obsidian Plate of the Stars I lost one time when no guildies or friends were around to help me retrieve it in the bowels of Hell with yellow orb shooting succubi all around. :/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    I remember the first time I stumbled across the tome for the Warlord of Blood... Chilling.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    wow i feel old now...
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Loved Diablo 2 - but for some reason I have a more special place in my heart for Diablo. There was just something about the gothic setting and the constant descent to hell. 
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited June 2016
    now make Diablo Online MMORPG !!! World of Diablo !!! :)
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    With the amount of birthday/anniversary threads you post you might as well just make a MMORPG calendar. Actually I guess this isn't even a MMO so just a MMORPG video game calendar. Then just have it be a feature of the site like on IMDB for celebrity birthdays.

That way you can stop scrapping the bottom of the barrel and posting birthdays like they are news. No offence to Diablo 2.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    With the amount of birthday/anniversary threads you post you might as well just make a MMORPG calendar. Actually I guess this isn't even a MMO so just a MMORPG video game calendar. Then just have it be a feature of the site like on IMDB for celebrity birthdays.

That way you can stop scrapping the bottom of the barrel and posting birthdays like they are news. No offence to Diablo 2.

You're not you when you're hungry. Here...have a Snickers bar. :3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited June 2016
    It wasn't just Diablo II, but also the raw way this game was handled back in the day.

#1. No Micro-Transactions.
    #2. No in-game bonus items via Cross Promotions, Collectors Editions, Kickstarter, etc.
    #3. No Multi-Game client launcher.
    #4. No monthly fees.

It was just pure gaming. You buy the game; you play the game. If you wanted to show off some cool item, you have to go and earn it.

SIGH.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited June 2016
    SBFord said:
    Nilden said:

I can't eat peanuts but thanks for trying to kill me. =) <3

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    SBFord said:
    Nilden said:

I can't eat peanuts but thanks for trying to kill me. =) <3
    Better? :D

Thanks for being a good sport! <3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Dauzqul said:
    It wasn't just Diablo II, but also the raw way this game was handled back in the day.

#2. No in-game bonus items via Cross Promotions, Collectors Editions, Kickstarter, etc.
    #4. No monthly fees.

It was just pure gaming. You buy the game; you play the game. If you wanted to show off some cool item, you have to go and earn it.

SIGH.
    There used to be a time when in my country we could by 5 big size chicken for less than a $. I would LOVE to go back to that time too you know... /sarcasm

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Dauzqul said:

#4. No monthly fees.

SIGH.
    There were RMT at least in Diablo 2. If I wanted I could buy all items I wanted through RMT with real money dude.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    This was the first PC game I bought myself.  Unfortunately we only had 2GB HDD and not enough free space to install it.  Months later I had saved enough to buy a new 20gb HDD which is how I got my start in the nitty gritty of computers.  Unfortunately then the game wouldn't run because my video drivers were out of date and we didn't have internet so I couldn't get the new ones.  Months later my parents finally caved and we got dial up.  Within a few months after that I finally successfully downloaded new video drivers and got to play.

I feel like my love for Diablo 2 may have been born of blood, sweat, and tears.
  • Uzur9Uzur9 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Was playing D2 last night Look at the clock an 2-3hrs have gone bye.
  • freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240
    It defined a genre and gathered a generation
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    I remember playing diablo 2 for hours after hours for days, trying to tweak the class trees to suit my favorite play style; melee and realizing that playing range and running round and round was the best way to play the game. I remember how shocked i felt learning my favorite playstyle was worthless in solo play of higher difficulty.
    Worthless ? I presume you never tried ww barbarian.
    Shodanas said:
    Worthless ? I presume you never tried ww barbarian.
    Ohh i did, that was the 1st class i played but it was no match for amazon ranged build or wizard when soloing higher difficulty.

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    This is the game that convinced me to h'n's games.

10/10