Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR 'demo's are getting exponentially better already

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-oculus-rift-dreamdeck-demo-is-so-good-it-had-me-on-my-hands-and-knees-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T

I strongly encourage everyone to read this article. not the headlines, the full article. In fact I am still reading it now

amazing stuff

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Okay, I read it. It's just like all the other "VR is the bestest" articles.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Lol, yeh, just another "I tried a VR demo and liked it" article.

No actual reasoning as to why VR would replace TVs, just a generic "because i think it should". All VR headsets do is replace 2D tv with 3D vision - OK, thats cool, but not enough of a gamechanger to make it big news. It also adds the ability to use the headsets motion tracking as an input. Again, vaguely interesting, I can replace the right thumbstick / mouse with my head....

Hardly groundbreaking. 

I need examples of how VR is going to improve my gaming. I've seen 1 so far - racing games. With pedals, steering wheel, gear stick and VR headset, you are actually approaching virtual reality. The tactile nature of input means you don't need to see your surroundings (one of the major downsides of vr headsets) and the freeview with 3d helps you spot and hit those apexes. 

But, most PC games require you to have sight - you need to see your keyboard. 

Additionally, because the headset is only linked to your vision, there is a massive disconnect between real life and the game. The headset is going to make me want to peek round corners, jump over things etc, but none of that is possible - I still need a standard input system to be able to do those things. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2016
    Lol, yeh, just another "I tried a VR demo and liked it" article.

No actual reasoning as to why VR would replace TVs, just a generic "because i think it should". All VR headsets do is replace 2D tv with 3D vision - OK, thats cool, but not enough of a gamechanger to make it big news. It also adds the ability to use the headsets motion tracking as an input. Again, vaguely interesting, I can replace the right thumbstick / mouse with my head....

Hardly groundbreaking. 

I need examples of how VR is going to improve my gaming. I've seen 1 so far - racing games. With pedals, steering wheel, gear stick and VR headset, you are actually approaching virtual reality. The tactile nature of input means you don't need to see your surroundings (one of the major downsides of vr headsets) and the freeview with 3d helps you spot and hit those apexes. 

But, most PC games require you to have sight - you need to see your keyboard. 

Additionally, because the headset is only linked to your vision, there is a massive disconnect between real life and the game. The headset is going to make me want to peek round corners, jump over things etc, but none of that is possible - I still need a standard input system to be able to do those things. 
    actually no

he is said that although you know for a fact that you do not have to crawl on the floor to look over the edge for safety that the experience is so compelling that your body makes you do that. 

Have you ever had your body want to make you crawl on the floor for safety because you are looking over the edge in a video game?

that is radical

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Not to highjack the thread but I noticed yesterday Microsoft launched their AR headset for developers,  price, $3000.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Not to highjack the thread but I noticed yesterday Microsoft launched their AR headset for developers,  price, $3000.
    and as an observation the experience of looking over the edge of a cliff or being chased by a dinosaur as illustrated in the article would not be as compelling in AR as it would in VR. Unless they can make 100% of the real floor you see disappear which currently they cant, at least not well

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sounds like an interesting demo, would love to try it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Nothing special.  I was in the MOA and got to test the Vive yesterday.   First of all, it is waaay better than when I tested the RIFT,  but that being said,  I tried 3 apps.  One was an "experience" where I swam with whales,  my body didn't magically decide that I should hold my breath.  The second one was a robot shooter on a rooftop.  I didn't get scared when I got close to the edge.  The last one was the painting simulator where you could paint in 3D space,  I didn't freak out when I accidentally ran through what I drew.

Another thing I noticed while watching others play?  They didn't either.  I watched  around 6 other people test it while waiting for my turn... most of them required assistance in working the controls,  one of them tripped over the cord and one of them felt nauseous and quit the Whale experience early.

People that want to play out their fantasy in VR will do that...  but after a few "experiences" it will be so trivial they'll wonder why their body reacted that way in the first place.

Nothing special.  I was in the MOA and got to test the Vive yesterday.   First of all, it is waaay better than when I tested the RIFT,  but that being said,  I tried 3 apps.  One was an "experience" where I swam with whales,  my body didn't magically decide that I should hold my breath.  The second one was a robot shooter on a rooftop.  I didn't get scared when I got close to the edge.  The last one was the painting simulator where you could paint in 3D space,  I didn't freak out when I accidentally ran through what I drew.

Another thing I noticed while watching others play?  They didn't either.  I watched  around 6 other people test it while waiting for my turn... most of them required assistance in working the controls,  one of them tripped over the cord and one of them felt nauseous and quit the Whale experience early.

People that want to play out their fantasy in VR will do that...  but after a few "experiences" it will be so trivial they'll wonder why their body reacted that way in the first place.
    I guess your just a special flower then. I on the other hand know exactly what the author is talking about. 
    In my 24 years of gaming I have one time had a jump scare in a game so bad I literally jumped out of my chair and had to look away...that was in VR, a simple shark nothing more

oh and by the way, I dont give a fuck which of the VR headsets is better than the other.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    There appear to be some people in the world that have come to the irrevocable conclusion that VR is simply a fad and all reports to the contrary are misguided and/or hype.

Most of them seem to have came to this conclusion by reading about VR...
    There appear to be some people in the world that have come to the irrevocable conclusion that VR is simply a fad and all reports to the contrary are misguided and/or hype.

well despite them telling me VR arcades will never happen and that I am crazy to think it, from the news I can see that in a few years they will be able to go to a VR Arcade (that they said would never happen) and try for themselves. I dont think they will ever change their mind until then and maybe not even until then and even if they do not change their stance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    VR hasn't really hit mainstream yet so it's too early to tell if it's a fad or not.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I've sufficiently tried almost every set on the market at this point.  I didn't try PSVR yet,  it wasn't available at any of the stores in the MOA,  but I'm back home now I'm sure there will be stores around here that have it.

That being said.. I'm still not convinced that VR is more than a niche product that will wear out it's welcome with most consumers fairly quickly.

It's easy to trivialize these sets not just due to the limited content,  but that once you've played one a few times, it loses its luster.   

I was one of only 3 people that I saw that completed all 3 demos...  if people were to own one.. they'd be over it pretty quickly.

It's like a roller coaster..... ride enough of them and they become way less thrilling.  

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    I'm going to cautiously step in here and state that if you suffer from vertigo like I do and I assume the journalist in the article also does then I'm positive that VR would cause your body to do and feel all kinds of things. I have played many games where when my character gets close to a ledge I actually feel a sensation of vertigo even though I know it's not real. It has gotten better over time but it still exists. Any Assassins Creed game does it to me every time. O.o

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.