Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this genre currently at its lowest point it can get?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited June 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I think so, because I don't think its possible to get any lower than now. So, are we supposed to be happy for what's coming in near future? For me it's never been easier to not spend my $. FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2 and to extend ArcheAge were challenging the least. I even recall how when FFXIV released (not Reborn re-release, but way back) I walked all the way to the store only to have last 2nd thought, by comparing it with WOW in every single detail I could possible can.

ESO the Division and Black Desert were the last. So, we are receiving MMO's and many other F2P ones, but how many of these MMO's were truly exceptional, great and overall accepted positively by the majority of this market? Well, here are the metacritic user scores (and not that metacritic is accurate, but one of the best places to get genuine reviews out of huge poll)

Black Desert - 7
The Division - 5.8 (PC)
ArcheAge - 3.6 o.O
Elder Scroll - 5.8 (PC)
GW2 expansion - 7.3
FFXIV - 6.7 (PC)
SWTOR - 5.9 (expansion only has 60 user votes, terrible!)

Do you think is it actually possible to get this genre to go any lower in the next 3-5 years or do you think this is as low it will get? Will we see a MMO with a score of 8 at least and if so which one has the best chance of achieving that. I mean, freaking 8, not 8.5 9 or 10....8!

Comments

• fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I think the smart money has moved away from this genre. 
    You received 25 LOLs. 
    You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    @fatears Isn't this actually the best period the "smart money" to capture this displeased market? If anything this shows that even with a score of 8 you'll still have the best product possible! This is as good weather as it can be for any MMO developer.

• exile02exile02 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I think reddit plays a big role in todays industry too. Some posts from https://www.reddit.com/r/mmorpg redirect to this site, wich tells me people use that reddit subforum as main source.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    A lot better than when we had 2 games to choose from, and both were grindy and meandering (UO and Everquest)

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I think MMO's are going through several things at once.

We have a ton of indie MMO's coming up and some others as well. A lot of them are trying to reinvent the wheel with new mechanics and ideas, while the rest are trying to appeal to more of our nostalgic side. Personally I think the nostalgia MMO's will have a decent run, but at the end of the day they will not survive the absolutely absurd expectations that players have.

Logically it would have to be a whole new experience, one that doesn't feel familiar, one that doesn't try to fight against a players nostalgic side as I believe we all know what wins at the end of that.

________

The other thing that I think MMO's are going through is that they are reverting back to the original player base. WoW is no longer the titan that it used to be and many WoW players end up leaving but not searching for a new MMO.

The MMO community, as it stands now, is mainly people over 20 years old that have jobs and things they have to accomplish during the day now. It is up to the devs to find out what the perfect formula is for an MMO where the player base enjoys challenge and progression, but doesn't have an insane amount of time like they used to.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Only if you don't like the current games. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    MMORPG gaming is better today than it was in 1983.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Considering every rockstar dev from 1st gen mmos is working on crowdfunded games, I'd say this is about as low as it gets.

The only way it could get any lower is if these crowdfunded games fail in the coming years.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Bruhza said:
    I think MMO's are going through several things at once.

We have a ton of indie MMO's coming up and some others as well. A lot of them are trying to reinvent the wheel with new mechanics and ideas, while the rest are trying to appeal to more of our nostalgic side. Personally I think the nostalgia MMO's will have a decent run, but at the end of the day they will not survive the absolutely absurd expectations that players have.

Logically it would have to be a whole new experience, one that doesn't feel familiar, one that doesn't try to fight against a players nostalgic side as I believe we all know what wins at the end of that.

________

The other thing that I think MMO's are going through is that they are reverting back to the original player base. WoW is no longer the titan that it used to be and many WoW players end up leaving but not searching for a new MMO.

The MMO community, as it stands now, is mainly people over 20 years old that have jobs and things they have to accomplish during the day now. It is up to the devs to find out what the perfect formula is for an MMO where the player base enjoys challenge and progression, but doesn't have an insane amount of time like they used to.
    That was a great post. I agree with you 100%. We have simply grown up and now we don't have the time to pour into it like we used to. The generation who can pour that time into these games is actually not interested whatsoever, instead they love the shooters and the MOBAs.

It's a shame because our genre that we love is stuck on the outside on a cold winter's day. Our generation doesn't have the time to play and the younger generation does not want to invest that time and instead wants instant gratification and haptic playstyle.

So at the end of the day the devs are stuck with one formula: GET US ALL THE STUFFS REAL QUICK!

----------------

But I believe there is a way to recapture the great days of MMOs and usher in a WoW2 epiphany. 

It's called VR.

Now I know I will get some hate on this, but just hear me out. For the most part VRMMOs would reignite the flame without completely reinventing the wheel. I say not completely because some of the wheel will have to be reinvented as is explained in almost every VR video. you can't just port a game to VR and have a great VR game. It has to be made from the ground up to work well with VR and that perspective. 

To that end, it would reintroduce that WOW factor or WoW factor lol....yes excuse my pun. It is a way of experiencing the MMO in a way that has never really been completely done before....completely fleshed out...completely polished. 

I know I have said it before in other posts, but it is going to take a dev that is in it to win it. Blizzard spent more than 5 years developing WoW and then each time after spent 2 on expansions. I notice that very few developers spend 5+ years anymore. It's more like 2+ now, which in my opinion is not enough time. 

Also, there are a ton of great systems in place out there just some dev needs to take notice and pull them all in to one great game.

For me that formula is:

-Open World of WoW
    -Perspective from ESO
    -Character Creation from BDO
    -Questing Cinematics/Voice Acting from SWTOR and ESO

The part of the wheel that needs to be reinvented:

-Combat from TERA, but tweaked to still include the complexity from something like EQ(I never played, but had friend that did for many years and I liked how complex the systems were)
    -Questing from ?? This is the other huge one and all I can say is something like the dynamic quests that pop up in GW2. I liked those but taken to a more dynamic level. 

Anyway, getting off topic to some extent so to bring it back, I think we haven't hit rock bottom because then we would not have anything on the horizon coming out. That being said we are pretty darn close. 

I think VR will reintroduce that blinding flash of light that says, "stop what your doing and look at me!" It brings back that sense of awe that comes from immersion. That type of immersion you had when looking at your friend, in EQ or for some like myself in WoW, and saying, "OMG I'm here and your right there. We are online, but technically in another world together at the same time!"
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Dullahan said:
    Considering every rockstar dev from 1st gen mmos is working on crowdfunded games, I'd say this is about as low as it gets.

The only way it could get any lower is if these crowdfunded games fail in the coming years.
    I feel that we're at a simultaneous high and low point in the genre.

The technology required to make fantastic MMO's is right at our fingertips, and yet all of the money has dried up chasing other dreams.  The Rock Star MMO devs are like typecast-ed actors after a TV show has been gone for ten years, signing autographs at conventions to raise enough money to make a YouTube series.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I can still find MMORPGs to enjoy. When I no longer can, I'll say it's at the lowest point it can get.
    edited June 2016
    deleted
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The lowest point was in 2009-2010.

Metacritic user score is an awful way to check on what people think of a game because it tends to be review bombed. Steam has far more reviews, you have to own the game to make a review there and the review is linked to your account. You also get stats for last 30 days.

FF14: 87% (84% last 30 days)
    Planetside 2: 84% (74%)
    DCUO: 83% (67%)
    Neverwinter: 79% (61%)
    Rift: 79% (40%)
    Wildstar: 78%
    ESO: 78% (78%)
    Trove: 78% (71%)
    Archeage: 57% (48%)
    Division: 54% (13%)
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    From a technical standpoint, MMOs are in a good place, considering how far graphics engines and so forth have come in the past 10-15 years.

That being said, though, most of the offerings now are just terrible.  We are inundated with 40,000 F2P games every month, none of which have any staying power to speak of.  Alongside that, we are presented with cash-grab games of all payment models.  But with Western audiences continually willing to pony up for unfinished "crowdfunding" games, bug- and hacker-ridden messes, and games with "content" locked behind paywalls, the genre isn't likely to improve.  I, for one, have almost completely lost interest. 

Much like I blame voters in America for continuing to elect the same old idiots, I blame much of the MMO audience for allowing game companies to drop turds on them while they rave about how "great" these games are in forums everywhere.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
    edited June 2016
    Dullahan said:

Rockstar devs?
    like this Guy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHnGyU1yJQ

Ya'know, he had that one song?

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    The publishers don't care, they have moved on to other genres that make them more money for far less work.  The only thing that could re-invigorate the mmorpg market is if we had a game that blew up and made a ton of money as wow did, that's not going to happen because we are all jaded and hateful monkeys that can't wait to poop on anything new.  Even wow is losing subs now, even the king of the genre is at it's lowest point and many mmorpg players take pleasure in that while not realizing that it's the death blow for us all.  Publishers look to wow as a gauge to the health of the market, it doing poorly scares them away.

Why on earth would any big company put that amount of money into an mmorpg game that will most likely be hated by the mmorpg community anyway?  You really think publishers didn't see the reception things like Wildstar got and were scared away from this toxic community of hateful poo slinging monkeys we call a playerbase?

The future is shallow games like Overwatch and not massive scrawling worlds filled with massed of expensive to make content, like it or not that's what we will get.

If you care about the mmorpg field at all, you should stop hating on other titles (even if you don't like them) and try to make sure as many of them as possible stay around, because it's all downhill form here and every loss is a reduction in choice that will never be replaced.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Genre is doing better than ever before.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    MMORPG's are doing fine. Only the jaded, cynical bitter-vets think otherwise, IMO. Maybe if people didn't want or expect to be able to invest so much of their life into a video game, they wouldn't be so miserable and picky. 
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    it can always get lower, it can always get worse
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Only Kopa would throw up something like this :-D
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Dullahan said:

Even if I take away my bias disgust for cash shops, microtransactions and F2P, still left with some facts that make this true imho.

Not since the birth of the MMORPG genre and UO has nothing been in development by AAA studios and publishers. In fact they all bailed with the cancelling of Titan by Blizzard and EQNext by Daybreak.

The entire upcoming games for the MMORPG genre are kickstarters or Asian localization's.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Na it is pretty horrible right now, but it can get alot worse.

Indys showing some rays of hope.... lets hope a few pull it off.

Mainstream is utter garbage right now, unless you are looking for a quick filler game.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited June 2016

DMKano said:
    If you ever have enough doubt left to ask "is this the lowest point" - that means you're not there yet.

Once you get there - you will know without a shadow of a doubt so you won't need to ask.
    The thing is we all have to be somewhere, do something, to simply exist, and if I knew the answer to every single question and more importantly in what way anyone would answer it, I would not need to interact with anyone in first place, and what kind of life would that be? I might as well not need to be part of a world where there is "life".

If I could have anything I wanted with a single thought I would never get to experience the thrill and emotions of loss, the risk, the mystery of the unknown, death, and simply put I would had no space to progress and evolve from nothing into something, which is also the core purpose of MMORPG's.

@DMKano, I find it far too easy to make the right moves after someone else made theirs, which is what you are trying to do on these forums often, because in every single thing that can be said we can choose two different sides in how to perceive it, like a double edged sword. You participate in 43 responses about someone else thread before you are the first to make the "move" and start a thread about something. At the end at least feel respected that I respect you enough to have interest to interact with you and be ready to listen to your opinion, even though I've already concluded about mine.

Finally, I don't have a doubt, a doubt is when someone is uncertain about something, which is not in my case and if you read my thread again, you would see that by how I already gave my opinion and side on this topic in the first sentence of this thread.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Dullahan said:

I think a lot that has to do with just the opposite actually. If the AAA genre was truly hurting (at a low point), there wouldn't be so much risk involved in larger companies stepping in. The genre in this sense is at a high point ( well it hit it's peak so to say)... In terms of active popular offerings. 

It's the niche interests that are hurting, which is something that older devs are taking advantage of right now. They see a market large enough to work privately within, win win for them creatively as well as financially. They know it's not ground the bigger publishers are going to be competing in, which is ripe for small business.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다