Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge blow against hacking?

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
Apparently the client-side hacking that was so prominent in BDO is over.

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4oqrwo/skillspamno_cd_hacks_have_officially_been_patched/

It's not clear whether the skills were changed to server side or you just get instantly banned for hacking, but regardless this looks like a huge blow against hacking.

I don't go to hacking sites (not in the mood for a virus), so I can't report details.

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Guys, c'mon.  The last month everybody has been spamming this forum about the hacking problem in BDO.

Here they apparently fix it and no response?  Not a peep?  Not even a "well the game still sucks"???
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Huge improvement. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Good for them.  Should have been a priority, much earlier, so they've gotta take their lumps.  However, any inroads is good news.

I self identify as a monkey.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    LOl its to late everyone already quit..
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Guys, c'mon.  The last month everybody has been spamming this forum about the hacking problem in BDO.

Here they apparently fix it and no response?  Not a peep?  Not even a "well the game still sucks"???
    Well, I got the impression tons of people were quitting because of how bad the hacking was.  Maybe everyone moved on and didn't look back :tongue:

Anyhow, it's good to see they put in the work to deal with it. But we all know how the MMO population shifts -- once people have left, they aren't likely to come back.
    Hopefully, for the game's sake, they fixed it in time before it was "too little, too late".  Regardless, it's great to hear that they did indeed fix the problem.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Lokero said:

Well, I got the impression tons of people were quitting because of how bad the hacking was.  Maybe everyone moved on and didn't look back :tongue:

Anyhow, it's good to see they put in the work to deal with it. But we all know how the MMO population shifts -- once people have left, they aren't likely to come back.
    Hopefully, for the game's sake, they fixed it in time before it was "too little, too late".  Regardless, it's great to hear that they did indeed fix the problem.

A majority and then some will come back when Valencia and the remaining classes drop.  There is still a lot of appealing content to be released for BDO.

BDO is far from done.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Better late than never.
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Good for them.  Should have been a priority, much earlier, so they've gotta take their lumps.  However, any inroads is good news.
    Sure, earlier would be better, and I do agree they were slow to take it seriously.  But many MMOs never solve major problems like this.

As for people pronouncing the game dead, I think the game has a lot of longevity.  Once all this release stuff is ironed out, I think plenty of people will consider the game.  It has a lot of things going for it and there is no unique MMO coming out in the foreseeable future.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The fact the people leave and never come used to be a thing with subscription games but this is no longer true. Now any time a new class or when they get bored they always look up the games they played before. So the fact that this is a B2P game means people will always be tempted to return.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Sure, earlier would be better, and I do agree they were slow to take it seriously.  But many MMOs never solve major problems like this.

As for people pronouncing the game dead, I think the game has a lot of longevity.  Once all this release stuff is ironed out, I think plenty of people will consider the game.  It has a lot of things going for it and there is no unique MMO coming out in the foreseeable future.
    people around here declare WoW dead, so I don't usually take them too seriously.

I self identify as a monkey.

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Rasiem said:
    I didn't realize that the interest for BDO had dropped that much  O.o

Last 90 days, Google Trends ^
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Is the awful texture popping better or fixed yet? That's really the only thing making me not play it.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Rasiem said:

Doesn't seem that hard to explain... once I'm actively playing a game (or have played it)... why would I go ahead and google it? Assuming that search term is just for "black desert".

The only times I google black desert these days is with something added to it (like "black desert adventure journal"), and even that's gotten more rare since I know where to find these things without Google now.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Rasiem said:

Doesn't seem that hard to explain... once I'm actively playing a game (or have played it)... why would I go ahead and google it? Assuming that search term is just for "black desert".

The only times I google black desert these days is with something added to it (like "black desert adventure journal"), and even that's gotten more rare since I know where to find these things without Google now.
    Pretty sure it includes every search related to black desert (videos, guilds, wikis, images, fansites, etc.), as long as the terms "black desert" are entered in the search bar of one of the Google services. Maybe what you mention has an impact on the amount of search, we would have to investigate that I guess.
    Yeah, so if you guys want to talk about how they fixed hacking, that would be cool by me.  It is the subject of this thread.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I would love to see a fresh server.  Personally I don't care and will keep playing where I am but I would think others might want a fresh start.  I remember UO's decision to not roll back servers after the horrible exploit at launch.  I think that was a mistake.  Long term it didn't matter though so who knows.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    If google could show us a graph depicting daily log in and active player stats that would be different. Some arbitrary search graph only means what Azaron pointed out.
    The hack deterrent is great against the no cool down and speed hacks but cannot stop botting yet. I think they finally got one right moving this server side.
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, so if you guys want to talk about how they fixed hacking, that would be cool by me.  It is the subject of this thread.
    I would be interested in a reliable source citing that they fixed hacking in BDO. From what I've understood of the reddit post, the author wrote that someone on a Discord server would have said that some cheats are harder to use in BDO.

LIOKI said:
    If google could show us a graph depicting daily log in and active player stats that would be different. Some arbitrary search graph only means what Azaron pointed out. 
    The graph shows a significant decline in "interest over time" on the different search functions offered by Google services. The causes of this decline are probably unkown.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Spamming the forum sensationalizing a problem is more interesting than if something good happens.

If Daum sensationalized the fix by, like, dropping a gallows into the game where banned accounts get their family name tagged above a hung criminal, then people would probably chatter about it.

For example, when Guild Wars used the reaper to ban accounts.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Rasiem said:

We usually call that normalizing.

For example if you look at WoW too...

You'll notice that it's rests at about where BDO is leveling off to. WoW only spiked recently because the movie, and if you use trends and look at the rising term searches you'll find they all have to do with the film (also why the search already peaked and seems to be on the down trend already).

Unless there's a reason people should be googling the phrase, there's not a whole lot of incentive to be doing so. Even if the game is popular.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    LIOKI said:
    The hack deterrent is great against the no cool down and speed hacks but cannot stop botting yet. I think they finally got one right moving this server side.
    Botting is one of those very tenacious things to squish though... even the mighty Blizzard didn't manage to crack down on those things back when Diablo 3 still had their real money auction house. And on most MMOs they tend to linger around to a certain degree. (Albeit a very minor one on the good ones)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited June 2016
    Deivos said:
    Rasiem said:

We usually call that normalizing.

For example if you look at WoW too...

You'll notice that it's rests at about where BDO is leveling off to. WoW only spiked recently because the movie, and if you use trends and look at the rising term searches you'll find they all have to do with the film (also why the search already peaked and seems to be on the down trend already).

Unless there's a reason people should be googling the phrase, there's not a whole lot of incentive to be doing so. Even if the game is popular.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about the causes of this decline. It still seems like a pretty significant drop in 3 months.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    It s a significant drop because the game is average at best. I would say exactly what it is, but I would be ambushed.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Seems it took way too long to fix imo but that's just me I know a couple who have quit over the pvp hacks.....
    And now there playing other mmo's so I don't see them coming back and I'm sure my friends are not the only ones who quit over hackers......

Which sucks because we were really having fun at first....
    "I would be interested in a reliable source citing that they fixed hacking in BDO. From what I've understood of the reddit post, the author wrote that someone on a Discord server would have said that some cheats are harder to use in BDO."

Me too.  However Daum is being quiet about it.  I guess they don't want to tip off anybody.  If you wanted to do some investigative reporting, you could go to hacker sites and look at their forums.  Like I said, I'm not willing to do that though because I don't want a virus.

There is more circumstantial evidence though- before this patch, there were shenanigans happening pretty frequently.  People were hacking at high profile events either to rage quit or troll or something, who knows, but they were doing it in big shows.  It was happening like every other day.  Node wars were released which would be a perfect opportunity for this kind of thing- but not one thread has shown up complaining about some hacker killing everyone and winning the node war.