Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The worst launch ever?

2»

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can't believe they are dumbing down the website. Back in the day we had to earn our forum postings by walking nine miles through the snow. Keep the old website and get off my lawn. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Nothing in this world will ever have a more catastrophic launch than Age of Conan, period.  ;)
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    BigRambo said:
    Nothing in this world will ever have a more catastrophic launch than Age of Conan, period.  ;)
    Didn't see the problem myself and I played from Alpha and 2 years post launch. I enjoyed the game a lot and really cannot get the vitriol some people still have about the game even to this day. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    fatears said:

I have been through some bad launches in my time, I’ve struggled through Vanguard, AO and the horrible first iteration of FFXIV, I’ve suffered a bout of Proteus syndrome causing my head to swell to three times its normal size and my left leg to resemble a tree trunk, I spent ten years hiding out in the jungles of ‘Nam drinking my own urine before realising the war was over, but, without hyperbole, the relaunch of this site is the worst experience of my life. 

You're trying to be funny correct?

I self identify as a monkey.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Kyleran said:
    I know right? I want my damn money back! (rage and more rage)

Oh wait..... Nm
    What a shock from you.

Worst launch was Windows ME...by far

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Macaroni and cheese, I hate that stuff. 
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Macaroni and cheese, I hate that stuff. 
    Yer so fired

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• SyanisSyanis Member UncommonPosts: 140
    That's nothing. The worst thing is spending 30 minutes hovering over the *buy* button deciding if to risk buying a game or not based on hype. Then not buying it and being right but you wasted a full 30 minutes and almost wasted some cold hard cash! Well usually its a credit card if their is a buy button so its not exactly hard but a bendable, its not exactly cash either because in reality its worth jack if your bank cancels it, and I guess its not even cold unless you stick it in the freezer before you use it which would be a major pain everytime you want to buy something at an old brick and mortar store (you know those things the great grandparents used) and having to rush before the coldness of the card is completely gone.... maybe snow would help though.

But anyways back to my koolaid, weed, and Everclear!
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Syanis said:
    ...and almost wasted some cold hard cash!
    I had an uncle who was phobic about spending money. Didn't die any happier for it.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Did they roll back the relaunch or something?
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    You need to go to the cash shop to fix the white on white text.  Duh.
    Haroo!
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Is there any idea of when the site is going to actually change now? Or is Amazon being silent.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Apart from my psychosis and constant muscle tensions in my body and 16 years of isolation sure worst thing ever. Excuse me, the shadows out the corner of my eyes are coming into vision now. No, their not black like the movies more of a red and yellow...

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Unless MMORPG.com takes over 2 years to sort the new site out, it is not going to be the worst launch ever. :D
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Horusra said:
    Granted the relaunch of this site went very badly yesterday.

I'm a web developer myself and find it very hard to comprehend what went wrong. The new site would have been built and tested in advance of the launch, so we shouldn't have been encountering bugs like white-on-white text in comments boxes, the mis-aligned page elements and the like. Data imports are a pain, admittedly, so if they are using a new database then I can imagine that being a nightmare to sort, but shouldn't have affected the layout of the site. 

I assume what happened is that, firstly, MMORPG.com doesn't have that much money and so has built a lot of the new site themselves (good on you if you can do it, but a site this size is very complicated) which may account for some of the quality issues. 

Secondly, I assume they're using the same hosting space they've always had. This probably meant that on their server, they would have had a full copy of the old site, a version of the maintenance page, plus a full copy of the new site. I can easily imagine that between renaming directories, performing manual uploads (rather than using version control systems) etc some files may have been missed, resulting in layout issues and the like. 

However, going back to OP, this website relaunch is nowhere near the worst launch. I could still find all the articles, read the forums and post (even if it was a pain not being able to read what I type). So, F for quality, but still a B for functionality. 

Worst launches are when the functionality breaks. Servers being down, server queues, instances not working etc - thats bad. 

Also, MMORPG.com is free, so its not like I'm being denied access to something I've paid for!

sense of humor = F
    He must be funny at parties.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Kyleran said:

Oh wait..... Nm
    What a shock from you.

Not even close. Microsoft Bob.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited June 2016
    Grunty said:
    Kyleran said:

Oh wait..... Nm
    What a shock from you.

AoC

Ooh, ooh, I forgot Hellgate: London.

But I suppose you must include the apple LISA. And the original McIntosh.

And NeXT...
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Nice thread, best one in last couple of days :D.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The worst launched ever was when a site crashes and everything is lost, and the backups turn out to be corrupted and you have to start from scratch.

Millennials, every tiny problem is the end of the world. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Grunty said:
    Kyleran said:

Oh wait..... Nm
    What a shock from you.

AoC

Ooh, ooh, I forgot Hellgate: London.

But I suppose you must include the apple LISA. And the original McIntosh.

And NeXT...
    Hellgate didn't have a bad launch, it had a bad life. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin