Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The worst launch ever?

fatearsfatears Member UncommonPosts: 86

I have been through some bad launches in my time, I’ve struggled through Vanguard, AO and the horrible first iteration of FFXIV, I’ve suffered a bout of Proteus syndrome causing my head to swell to three times its normal size and my left leg to resemble a tree trunk, I spent ten years hiding out in the jungles of ‘Nam drinking my own urine before realising the war was over, but, without hyperbole, the relaunch of this site is the worst experience of my life. 

You received 25 LOLs. 
You are posting some laughably bad content, please desist. 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    No
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Not even close
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I know right? I want my damn money back! (rage and more rage)

Oh wait..... Nm

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I needed this. Thanks. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    If I could see what I'm typing I'd give a jokey comment.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    kinda true iwht how I don't see myself typing  unless I highlight text with mouse. and that overlapping facebook button... even the mmo forums are not what they used to be  lol
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Site seems to be working fine to me.

People making whiney posts about unimportant shit- check.

Oh cool I can see what I type again ;)
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Yeah when i clicked on the site this morning. I got nothing but a knee slapper... :p

I retired retroactively..Haha

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Can't even get past the character creator.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Granted the relaunch of this site went very badly yesterday.

I'm a web developer myself and find it very hard to comprehend what went wrong. The new site would have been built and tested in advance of the launch, so we shouldn't have been encountering bugs like white-on-white text in comments boxes, the mis-aligned page elements and the like. Data imports are a pain, admittedly, so if they are using a new database then I can imagine that being a nightmare to sort, but shouldn't have affected the layout of the site. 

I assume what happened is that, firstly, MMORPG.com doesn't have that much money and so has built a lot of the new site themselves (good on you if you can do it, but a site this size is very complicated) which may account for some of the quality issues. 

Secondly, I assume they're using the same hosting space they've always had. This probably meant that on their server, they would have had a full copy of the old site, a version of the maintenance page, plus a full copy of the new site. I can easily imagine that between renaming directories, performing manual uploads (rather than using version control systems) etc some files may have been missed, resulting in layout issues and the like. 

However, going back to OP, this website relaunch is nowhere near the worst launch. I could still find all the articles, read the forums and post (even if it was a pain not being able to read what I type). So, F for quality, but still a B for functionality. 

Worst launches are when the functionality breaks. Servers being down, server queues, instances not working etc - thats bad. 

Also, MMORPG.com is free, so its not like I'm being denied access to something I've paid for!
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I'm a web developer myself and find it very hard to comprehend what went wrong. The new site would have been built and tested in advance of the launch, so we shouldn't have been encountering bugs like white-on-white text in comments boxes, the mis-aligned page elements and the like. Data imports are a pain, admittedly, so if they are using a new database then I can imagine that being a nightmare to sort, but shouldn't have affected the layout of the site. 

I assume what happened is that, firstly, MMORPG.com doesn't have that much money and so has built a lot of the new site themselves (good on you if you can do it, but a site this size is very complicated) which may account for some of the quality issues. 

Secondly, I assume they're using the same hosting space they've always had. This probably meant that on their server, they would have had a full copy of the old site, a version of the maintenance page, plus a full copy of the new site. I can easily imagine that between renaming directories, performing manual uploads (rather than using version control systems) etc some files may have been missed, resulting in layout issues and the like. 

However, going back to OP, this website relaunch is nowhere near the worst launch. I could still find all the articles, read the forums and post (even if it was a pain not being able to read what I type). So, F for quality, but still a B for functionality. 

Worst launches are when the functionality breaks. Servers being down, server queues, instances not working etc - thats bad. 

Also, MMORPG.com is free, so its not like I'm being denied access to something I've paid for!

sense of humor = F
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'm a web developer myself and find it very hard to comprehend what went wrong....
    Apparently the new website was working fine enough, but their host had problems and they had to revert, and problems like white on white and huge number of broken links were caused more by them reverting things while the website was live than by any problem with the new website.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10945/page/1

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Vrika said:

I'm a web developer myself and find it very hard to comprehend what went wrong....
    Apparently the new website was working fine enough, but their host had problems and they had to revert, and problems like white on white and huge number of broken links were caused more by them reverting things while the website was live than by any problem with the new website.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/10945/page/1

Yep, and the host is a new host - AWS.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Reroll the MMORPG servers. It's NOT fair. Some of us were not able to participate in the land grab due to the technical difficulties.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    I've been coming to this site for something like over 13 years. I'm excited for you guys to finally get a new site design and hope everything works out. I'll miss the old one though.
    DMKano said:
    Reroll the MMORPG servers. It's NOT fair. Some of us were not able to participate in the land grab due to the technical difficulties.

Worked fine for me - might want to call you ISP and tell them they suck.

Also selling land... lots of land...
    SEE! This isn't fair. People are just buying up MMORPG.COM estate and selling it while others were not able to log in. 

I am a triple diamond package founder, and I want my respect!!!!
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:

Also selling land... lots of land...
    FlyByKnight who got "Member Uncommon" -package wasn't even given access to servers, while DMKano with "Member Epic" -package was able to grab all the land.

It's turning into P2W already.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I needed this. Thanks. :)
    I hope you were laughing at the op more then anything.   Since he obviously didn't play Archeage.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    ^ Whale!!!! Please nerf Epic members and balance the site @BillMurphy I got ganked in 2 hits! /uninstall

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    fatears said:

I have been through some bad launches in my time, I’ve struggled through Vanguard, AO and the horrible first iteration of FFXIV, I’ve suffered a bout of Proteus syndrome causing my head to swell to three times its normal size and my left leg to resemble a tree trunk, I spent ten years hiding out in the jungles of ‘Nam drinking my own urine before realising the war was over, but, without hyperbole, the relaunch of this site is the worst experience of my life. 

huh?

Makes me wonder if you really did in fact struggle through AO and Vanguard ( I tried XIV 1.0 in beta and didn't buy the game)

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Horusra said:

sense of humor = F
    Lol, will teach me to skim read! Thought they were genuinely complaining about the site relaunch and comparing it to mmo launches....
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Lol, no, not the worst launch, I could still log in. Oh! Plus there wasn't a queue. Oh! And they could revert. Back online in less than 24 hours! GJ MMORPG.com peeps! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    DMKano said:

Also selling land... lots of land....

That's no surprise, it's working perfectly for you.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Why surprised? If there's one shared feat among MMOs, that's bumpy launches. This is a site about MMOs -> bumpy launch.
    :lol:
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The worst launched ever was when a site crashes and everything is lost, and the backups turn out to be corrupted and you have to start from scratch.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey