Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Close, But Not Quite - The New Site - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• LumiLumiLumiLumi Member UncommonPosts: 48
    LumiLumi said:
    Phry said:
    I will be so happy once they fix the forum things, the whole, guess how many errors i am making whilst writing stuff, because its white text on a white background, is fun... not... :p
    I joined the forums today ... so the white text on white background is proving quite difficult ^^

While I;m here though: are the blogs being deleted? I clicked the blogs link and got 404. Was curious if it was being re-done or just removed? :) 
    Nope, they'll still be here. Just probably a bug. :)
    Thank you ::pleased:
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Other than that Mrs Lincoln, How was the play?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    LumiLumi said:
    LumiLumi said:
    Phry said:
    I will be so happy once they fix the forum things, the whole, guess how many errors i am making whilst writing stuff, because its white text on a white background, is fun... not... :p
    I joined the forums today ... so the white text on white background is proving quite difficult ^^

While I;m here though: are the blogs being deleted? I clicked the blogs link and got 404. Was curious if it was being re-done or just removed? :) 
    Nope, they'll still be here. Just probably a bug. :)
    Thank you ::pleased:
    Basically I think all navigation links on the forums except the MMORPG.com one point to the currently nonexistent new site.  So it's hosed right now. Letting @skywisenight know.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited June 2016
    No worries. Screw ups like this are fitting for a site called MMORPG.com. Oh the irony.

BTW,  anyone getting the white text on white background can click on "Toggle Full Page" on top right and you will see the "Toggle Lights" button.
    Post edited by Kayo83 on
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I wonder if we are going to be compensated for this. Maybe a double XP time or something mount dunno... sorry couldn't resist >:)
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Kayo83 said:
    No worries. Screw ups like this are fitting for a site called MMORPG.com. Oh the irony.

BTW,  anyone getting the white text on white background can click on advanced mode will get you the "Toggle Lights" button.
    i dont see any advanced mode button , but i can use the toggle full page and then see the toggle lights....
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Warlyx said:
    Kayo83 said:

BTW,  anyone getting the white text on white background can click on advanced mode will get you the "Toggle Lights" button.
    i dont see any advanced mode button , but i can use the toggle full page and then see the toggle lights....
    lol, yeah thats what I meant, will fix.

Also, will need to come back to normal page to post, lol, so bad its funny.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    What the heck? White on white, now black on black, ha!
    How do you exploit this site to get text/background contrast?
    Sure I saw a guy posting white on black - must have been a hack, reported him.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    We know you tried hard and did the right thing. I appreciate your honesty and openness. Next time you'll get it right.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I must have hit it at just the right time as I logged in this morning to be presented with the new site and everything seemed to be working OK. I didn't see any problems with the text although I prefer the old dark background to the new lighter one.

I really didn't like the new design though, for a completely different reason and that is I mainly log in just for the forums and the most recent messages are always there on the front page. With the new design, I had to go hunting for them and wasn't impressed.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    I was just starting to enjoy my mmorpg.com staffer title I had on the new site lol
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Good because I couldn't even post a message on the new sight the letters we're not showing.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2016
    This would have been a golden opportunity to advertise MMORPG.com member and visitor exclusive limited time late access -event to old version of the website.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Seems the forums are back on the old style, so I can see what I type again.
  • Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    why amazon for hosting ? makes 0 sense.
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Personally, I think the old site design was better before the this change. :)
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Doug_B said:

Amazon actually has pretty good server hosting now they offer.

https://aws.amazon.com/

I know the game Tree of Savior actually hosts their international servers on Amazon.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443

Doug_B said:

Because just like the games this site promotes, they want to spend as little as possible while maintaining their revenue stream. I guess all that selling out didn't pay as much as they thought it would, or more likely, the money is just going in someones pocket. You have to invest in your company to make it successful. Just because the site is called MMORPG doesn't mean you have to run it like one....
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited June 2016
    oh so fitting that a website that covers mmo's had a fail launch.
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I was able to view the site briefly last night when it came up, but I have to say I was VERY disappointed. I don't have anything against the visuals, but it was extremely unclear what articles were what and the layout was just unclear. Maybe it was a "rough draft" or something, but I really felt the available site was lacking in organization.

I like the fact that with the current site, things are clear and concise, and I can look at articles only for the games I'm interested in. I don't have to scroll down and down and down to get to what I want. And I don't have to read through the title and summary of articles to figure out what game it's about. There are SO MANY games featured on this site now that I simply don't have an interest in reading about all of them.

Again, maybe I'm just jumping the gun a bit, but I'm a daily reader (hell, I don't even read REAL news anymore) and I'd just like to not lose my major source of MMO news. But I couldn't bring myself to scan through and scroll through all the articles every day. Sounds lazy, doesn't it? :)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    The new site is a mess of jumbo jumbo and you cant even see what you are typing. 

Don't fix if it's not broke.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Still pulling for ya!!

Sz  :)
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296
    Im not sure why the hosting is the issue if its AWS. You can spin up or upgrade EC2 instances, RDS databases, S3 buckets in seconds and get them copied to all regions. Im a certified system architect and AWS is the best there is right now. The issues could have been resolved in about 30-60 minutes at the latest.

But for really isn't that new site just MORE ad space? I dont see how it benefits us the users more. Its harder to find the real content and the ads are just overkill.
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    How could Amazon screw up so badly not to handle the server load?

It seems one of the first few things discussed would be mmorpg daily server load at peak times. The Amazon servers should have been ready for the load.
  • drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    dumb question does the address change, if so then what is it? As I have found no notice of it, if not well it was a dumb question.