Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft movie is now the most successful video game adaption ever

124»

Comments

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210
    josko9 said:
    Warcraft isn't the most succesful video game adaptation. The movie has had $160mil+ production budget, and latest reports are suggesting a massive marketing budget over $80mil, which is nearing towards $250mil total expenses.

Let's analyze Warcraft a bit. They currently made $40mil in NA, which is about $20mil for them, while it proved to be very successful internationally bringing in $340mil, and that could be anywhere from 60$mil-100$mil for them. So in best case scenario they are currently sitting at about $120mil.

This movie already needed $400mil just based on the production budget to break even, and start making any profit onwards from that. Add to that the marketing budget, and we're looking at $600mil just to break even. Biggest problem for Warcraft is that it bombed in NA, the place where it actually mattered the most. I honestly doubt we'll ever see a sequel, it's clear to me they were aiming to break past the $1 billion box office based on all the expenses they've had. They really overestimated their fanbase.

You mentioned Warcraft beat The Angry Birds, but did it really? The Angry Birds's production cost was only $70mil, and they've made $104mil domestically alone. Basically nearly covered their production costs just domestically ($52mil). Internationally they made 224mil, which is about $50-60mil, so it's safe to say that The Angry Birds made some profit, or at least broke even. And The Angry Birds were far from a success, so imagine how far Warcraft is right now. China alone is not enough.

I'm also surprised nobody is mentioning Minions. $74mil production budget, and it made $1.16billion worldwide.
    Minions made more money then Captain America Civil War. It was a 250 million budget only made 410 million in the united states but made over one billion world wide. It made four times the budget so it was successful. Those have ridiculous high budgets but are almost guaranteed to break even no matter how shitty they really are.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    You don't like seeing moth verse Godzilla?
    Rusque said:
    As long as we get a sequel I don't care where the money comes from. Thank you Chinese Warcraft fans for going to see it.
    Have you ever watched any Chinese movies on Netflix?
    Then you'll understand why they go see Warcraft.

You know Godzilla emanates from Japan right? And the 2014 Godzilla film was American and ... no matter.

However there are indeed some bad Chinese films; there are also some very good Chinese films. Come to think of it there are also some very bad <insert country here> films and some very good <insert country here> films.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

gervaise1 said:
    You don't like seeing moth verse Godzilla?
    Rusque said:
    As long as we get a sequel I don't care where the money comes from. Thank you Chinese Warcraft fans for going to see it.
    Have you ever watched any Chinese movies on Netflix?
    Then you'll understand why they go see Warcraft.

You know Godzilla emanates from Japan right? And the 2014 Godzilla film was American and ... no matter.

However there are indeed some bad Chinese films; there are also some very good Chinese films. Come to think of it there are also some very bad <insert country here> films and some very good <insert country here> films.

Yea I spoke to Godzilla the other day said "ARRRRRRRRRGGGHHGGGHAARRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH" it was pretty intense stuff. Wasn't really appreciative of the biplanes and aliens mucking about. Although he is a big fan of The Fly.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Stop acting like a liberal snobs .. no body care about your scripts and acting To be honest I begun to think that Orcs are best actor in universe .
    I am sick of this era era of snobbish rubbish hipsters .
    And when I hear another,  one of a hundred thousand complaint form them all my being is screaming "SHUT THE F UP "

Every time I read one of your posts it's always "enlightening/revealing".

In any case, caring about acting and scripts isn't a "liberal" attribute. 

Also, "hipsters" have been around since the Jazz Era.

Having said that, I agree with the sentiment that there are too many people who think all movies need to be story driven or character driven or that need to have deeper meanings. 

Even "Art house" movies don't always have a coherent story or deep characters (Last Year at Marienbad for example)

Sometimes a ray gun is just a ray gun.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Stop acting like a liberal snobs .. no body care about your scripts and acting To be honest I begun to think that Orcs are best actor in universe .
    And when I hear another,  one of a hundred thousand complaint form them all my being is screaming "SHUT THE F UP "
    So, does this mean if I were to go see this movie (I haven't and probably won't---Haven't even seen new Star Wars) But if I walk out of the theater thinking.......That was a bad movie. It's because I am a snobbish hipster who needs an all star acting lineup? Or maybe it really was just bad.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:

Having said that, I agree with the sentiment that there are too many people who think all movies need to be story driven or character driven or that need to have deeper meanings. 

Even "Art house" movies don't always have a coherent story or deep characters (Last Year at Marienbad for example)

What we got

What we wanted

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you measure success in lead actress hotness, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil remain unrivaled. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:

What we got ...

What we wanted ...

In that case ...

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:

What we got ...

What we wanted ...

In that case ...

Était quand je tiré ta mère = -P
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    filmoret said:
    The only thing NA culture seems to be interested in are lifelike drama's involving hospitals or prisons.  So boring and useless to me.
    You forgot what usually puts people in hospitals and/or prisons, police procedurals. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Distopia said:
    filmoret said:
    The only thing NA culture seems to be interested in are lifelike drama's involving hospitals or prisons.  So boring and useless to me.
    You forgot what usually puts people in hospitals and/or prisons, police procedurals. 
    Well that and cigarettes and the gallon of chunky monkey ice cream they suck down every night.
    And on the other channel, Kardashians... /facedesk