Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I cant do it

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Too much content.  Seems like a nice place to be.

I self identify as a monkey.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Enjoy the content, because once it's done, you'd wish you had more.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Easily one of the better stories presented on the platform, despite the downgrade in cutscene animation from 1.0 to 2.0, I'd still rank it up there at the top 3.

That being said I'm not happy with their solution to the MSQ, seems really lazy. However the way cutscenes and story is delivered they kinda shoehorned themselves into a position where remote quest turn-in would remove all immersion.

That being said, I hope you play a tank. I made the mistake of leveling a Ninja as my first character. 30m queues for days.

If the OP does manage to slog through the first 65 of that 100 I willingly to bet they'll be hooked. Shiva is definitely where that arc starts to take off.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    It's easier to level up now with Palace of the Dead and whatnot, but yeah, if you're going through the mandatory dungeons as a DPS as your first class the queues can kinda suck.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    This is an MMO. Forcing someone to do 100 solo story quests to access an expansion they already paid for is retarded by anyone but fanboi standards.
    This. This. This. Bad quests at that.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Morgaur said:
    I have to chime in here. I recently returned to FFXIV. I bought the Heavensward expansion and awoke my level 45 White Mage from deep slumber. Then started on my way to 50.

When I hit 50, I happily completed the main story and my class quests. Then I checked how to enter Heavensward and almost crapped my pants. What? I cannot enter yet, it's like a gazillion more quests? Why?

Ok I thought. I can do this. I then started the Main Scenario quests which start with "The Price of Principles" and another 18 quests. It was fairly interesting, moving the HQ to another place. Lets do it! I finished those quests and then started "Through the Maelstrom" which consists of 19 more quests.... At this point it started to hit me how fuc.......g mundane some of these quests are.

Speak with F'lhaminn.
    Collect the wine. 0/2
    Speak with Alys in the Seventh Heaven.
    Collect the fresh meals.
    Deliver the meals and wine to the Adventurers' Guild Assistant.

Why in gods name do I, Silviana Aliheiri, a Hero of Eorza, destroyer of The Ultimate Weapon, King Moggle Mog XII, Bahamuts and Ifrits need to collect wine and meals to some refugees? It's just extremely annoying and a waste of time creating stuff like this. Another place, in Horizon I had to literally run back and forth across the place talking to different people. Why not just place them all beside eachother? There was no logical reason to why they were placed on the opposite side of a fuc.....g fountain? And another mundane quest was searching for some children hiding in different buildings......

At least now I have killed Leviathan and beginning on the Defenders of Eorzea questline, another 19 quests before I can play Heavensward. I just hope I can do it before I throw up in my mouth....

I'm no hater. I like the game alot. But they have to start thinking about shit like this. I understand if Im level 2 and nobody have heard of me, and I have to empty the toiletpots for other adventurers in a tavern, but when I'm The Gifted One who saved almost all of Eorza, I should be used for greater things than latrine duty.

/rant off
    I know how you feel.  I got the expansion when it launched.  I returned to my level 50.  But I had to do all the quests you are talking about to get to heavensward.  When I finally finished them, I was so burned out on all the repetitive shit quests.  I also wanted to main Dark Knight.  So I had to restart at 30 and grind fates to 50 to start the expac lol.  

By the time I got to 50 (on my DK) I unsubbed and stopped playing.  Haven't gone back.  I probably will eventually, because I do want to see the expansion I bought.  But too many good games coming out that its on the back burner.
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited March 2017
    I just wanted to chime in.  It has been confirmed that 4.0 (aka Stormblood) will allow you to view a synopsis of all the story content after 2.0 (A Realm Reborn).  This allows you to essentially hit lvl 50, finish the initial story of ARR, then jump into the Stormblood expansion.

They also learned from their mistakes with HW and allow you to unlock the new jobs (Red Mage and Samurai) once you hit level 50.

Yay!
    MrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The amount of obsolescence built into every patch and short lifetime of it gets old fast too.
    Viper482 said:
    This is an MMO. Forcing someone to do 100 solo story quests to access an expansion they already paid for is retarded by anyone but fanboi standards.
    This. This. This. Bad quests at that.

+10
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I'd heard so much about this game that i was under the impression that I really missed out on something, so I decided to try out the free unlimited trial....Well unlimited in my case was about 20 minutes...The quests are so awful in this that i couldnt stand it...not only that but it wont allow you in other areas just to roam around until you do the quests......I cant believe people actually pay $15 a month for crud like this.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I'd heard so much about this game that i was under the impression that I really missed out on something, so I decided to try out the free unlimited trial....Well unlimited in my case was about 20 minutes...The quests are so awful in this that i couldnt stand it...not only that but it wont allow you in other areas just to roam around until you do the quests......I cant believe people actually pay $15 a month for crud like this.
    Maybe they aren't playing it for the quests?

Weird.
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I was thinking of giving the game another try. Quit before heavensward. I like how the new classes aren't gated by story or expansion, so going to try a red mage. I did read about the jump potions to skip story, but I just intend to play it casually for the story, and getting to level up red mage while I do that and not another class is a bonus.

If I had to go through all the quests just to unlock the red mage, probably wouldn't have bothered.

Also it will be nice not to have to relearn 1 of my original classes and just start fresh with a brand new 1.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That was one of my main gripes as well. It felt like a running back and forth simulator.
    That's exactly what is it. They are sending me on quest across the map to talk to someone, then back again to deliver the message, and back again to talk. Its an endless loop of useless fetch quest that have no merit or substance.
    Those aren't quests that's busy work.  Spend more time traveling than anything.
    eddieg50

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    edited March 2017
    FolbyOrb said:
    This bothered me, too.

It bothered me from early on. I think at level 15 there is a dungeon you have to do to continue on. I like dungeons. My favorite games are dungeon crawlers. Dungeons are why I fell in love with World of Warcraft. All these dungeons to do and I'm working my way through them with other real people online? So awesome.

But, I choose to do those dungeons. I didn't HAVE to do them to move on. I started World of Warcraft back in The Burning Crusade expansion, so there was no LFG. I watched chat while I was in the cities to see if anyone was trying to get a group together for a dungeon, and I would volunteer to join if I saw one.

Gating content behind something you have to wait for other people for is absurd.

People throughout the thread have said, "It's a story based MMO! Duh." Okay, if you want to tell a story, write a book, make a movie, or produce a TV series. An MMORPG is not the best medium for telling a story. Telling small stories relevant to the place you are in? Yes. A story that arcs across the entire existence of your character? No.

If that is your goal, make a single player game. An MMORPG should have a world that you explore how you want to explore it, while fulfilling the ROLE you have chosen. Because it is an MMO, you can join up with other people in your adventures in that world. . . or not.

I really enjoyed FFXIV from 1 - 50. So I, too, bought the expansion. Installed it. Was like, where do I go? Found out online that I still had to do a bunch of stuff in the original game before I could get to the new maps.

Stopped playing.

It was akin to telling me in an airport that I can't go to Ireland and check it out because I haven't finished America yet. But I'm old enough? Yes. So why can't I go? Because you're not done with America yet.

Think about this: what if FFXIV is around for ten years, so people who haven't played it are like, "Damn, it's been around for ten years. It must be a good game." Buys the game, gets to 50, buys the expansion, finds out she's not done with ARR and has to queue for things no one had done for like seven years. Asks FC about helping her. FC is like, "WTF?!"

It's a bad design. And I'm not going to pay them money for a potion to get me around their bad design, either.

It's a real shame because I really did enjoy FFXIV from 1 - 50.
    "The devs are forcing me to play the game I bought!"

I constantly find myself upset about this too. Gran Turismo made me drive a car even though it's been 10 years since release? Why can't I skip the driving part by this point? And why do I have to use a car anyway? It's a DRIVING SIMULATION, not a CAR DRIVING SIMULATION. My definition of the genre is different but equally valid, so why aren't they catering to it?

It's a major pain in the ass, to say the least.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Design decisions are just too often created over money and profits and i don't like that.You make money by delivering a quality game,quality work.Square has been bad doing it the business way instead of passionate game idels,i am certain it is their investors calling too many shots.
    I go way back with Square o i have seen how they operate inside and out,a lot looks very shotty.
    I first took notice way back when they started taking what SHOULD have been ONE expansion and split them into 3 parts,the Shantotto stuff then the Abyssea stuff and even TOAU was released unfinished ,they had to add  several unfinished missions/quests and artifact gear later on.

Then we all know they rushed out ffxiv spent too much time/money,must release it now,then realized what a mistake but they continue to fall right back into that trap.So i believe they are being pushed by investors ot make really bad lame decisions.
    I could write a novel on every last inch of FFXIV's design,i followed it since the original Orange engine and just a vision.Months before release i saw how lame they had rushed the design,i knew right then and there no way was i going to support that.
    So those greedy investors are going to be their own downfall,talented studio that relies too much on a rabid fanbase especially in Japan,they figure just attach the FF IP and it sells,well it is a big mistake.
    Blizzard is in the same boat,the two biggest developers are relying on their fanbase to just keep buying no matter what,their greed in nickle and diming will catch up to them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I've decided that I just do not want to pay the $15 a month for any game, and ive got the money to do so.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Hyanmen said:
    FolbyOrb said:
    This bothered me, too.

It bothered me from early on. I think at level 15 there is a dungeon you have to do to continue on. I like dungeons. My favorite games are dungeon crawlers. Dungeons are why I fell in love with World of Warcraft. All these dungeons to do and I'm working my way through them with other real people online? So awesome.

But, I choose to do those dungeons. I didn't HAVE to do them to move on. I started World of Warcraft back in The Burning Crusade expansion, so there was no LFG. I watched chat while I was in the cities to see if anyone was trying to get a group together for a dungeon, and I would volunteer to join if I saw one.

Gating content behind something you have to wait for other people for is absurd.

People throughout the thread have said, "It's a story based MMO! Duh." Okay, if you want to tell a story, write a book, make a movie, or produce a TV series. An MMORPG is not the best medium for telling a story. Telling small stories relevant to the place you are in? Yes. A story that arcs across the entire existence of your character? No.

If that is your goal, make a single player game. An MMORPG should have a world that you explore how you want to explore it, while fulfilling the ROLE you have chosen. Because it is an MMO, you can join up with other people in your adventures in that world. . . or not.

I really enjoyed FFXIV from 1 - 50. So I, too, bought the expansion. Installed it. Was like, where do I go? Found out online that I still had to do a bunch of stuff in the original game before I could get to the new maps.

Stopped playing.

It was akin to telling me in an airport that I can't go to Ireland and check it out because I haven't finished America yet. But I'm old enough? Yes. So why can't I go? Because you're not done with America yet.

Think about this: what if FFXIV is around for ten years, so people who haven't played it are like, "Damn, it's been around for ten years. It must be a good game." Buys the game, gets to 50, buys the expansion, finds out she's not done with ARR and has to queue for things no one had done for like seven years. Asks FC about helping her. FC is like, "WTF?!"

It's a bad design. And I'm not going to pay them money for a potion to get me around their bad design, either.

It's a real shame because I really did enjoy FFXIV from 1 - 50.
    "The devs are forcing me to play the game I bought!"

I constantly find myself upset about this too. Gran Turismo made me drive a car even though it's been 10 years since release? Why can't I skip the driving part by this point? And why do I have to use a car anyway? It's a DRIVING SIMULATION, not a CAR DRIVING SIMULATION. My definition of the genre is different but equally valid, so why aren't they catering to it?

It's a major pain in the ass, to say the least.

More like if they asked you to drive forward 10 feet and then reverse ten feet 10,000 times in order to even attempt a race.

Those quests are not: Fun, engaging, interesting, dynamic, or any other positive adjective.

They are boring fetch quests most of which LITERALLY involve doing nothing but running back and forth between two NPCs.

eddieg50MrMelGibsonViper482
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It takes a while but it is easy. Most of the quests are go here talk to this person then teleport somewhere else talk to someone else. Then every 5 to 6 quests you go kill 3 enemies, then you go do the talking quests again. They are really boring, not very fun to keep doing over and over, but afterwards it's pretty worth it. Heavensword was really fun.
    JeffSpicoli
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    So sounds like you still have to quest in order to obtain other classes? This game has some great class mechanics and fun extras, but I HATE solo questing, and I don't think you should be forced to quest to get to other content or to obtain other classes.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• Rorschach139Rorschach139 Member CommonPosts: 5

dreamer05 said:

So sounds like you still have to quest in order to obtain other classes? This game has some great class mechanics and fun extras, but I HATE solo questing, and I don't think you should be forced to quest to get to other content or to obtain other classes.

indeed!

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Yeah, I feel you.  Recently returned after 2 years, looked at my 50 used-to-be main Monk, was like WTF are these skills, and decided to just roll a new character.  Starting another PUG and going ROG is like doing 1-10 twice in a row, it's all a little painful right now.  I know it'll get better, but it is so slow right now.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Yeah, I feel you.  Recently returned after 2 years, looked at my 50 used-to-be main Monk, was like WTF are these skills, and decided to just roll a new character.  Starting another PUG and going ROG is like doing 1-10 twice in a row, it's all a little painful right now.  I know it'll get better, but it is so slow right now.
    1-10 is fast , but level to 15~ and go open the duty roulette :D easy exp , and after that u can level your jobs with PoTd too .
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It takes a while but it is easy. Most of the quests are go here talk to this person then teleport somewhere else talk to someone else. Then every 5 to 6 quests you go kill 3 enemies, then you go do the talking quests again. They are really boring, not very fun to keep doing over and over, but afterwards it's pretty worth it. Heavensword was really fun.
    I despised the quest system in this game....i thought it was the most boring drivel ever.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Apparently, Stormblood will introduce potions to skip story quest. Looks like I'll be returning! :smiley:
    TokkenViper482
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Forcing people to do crappy content in order to get to the fun part is a stupid business plan.
    monochrome19
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!