Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Worth Starting From Scratch In 2016?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
I guess you can't really tell me if it's worth it for ME as you're not me, but I'd just like to get some other peoples' opinions on a few things.  Never tried Rift before, but saw a few screenshots that made me interested.

- Cliché question here, but how is the population?  I'm EU by the way.

- Are Trion looking like they're still interested in the game, or have they jumped ship to focus on other stuff?  Looking for something I can get into and play for a few years really.

- How are the F2P restrictions?

- I won't be using any instant leveling stuff, as I'd like to take my time going through the zones.  Are there still people around doing lower level dungeons etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2016
    Sorry for the wall of text. Didn't care to break it down but wanted to help answer.

Well, there's a level 40 boost give away on the site so you wouldn't have to start completely from scratch. As for the game, there's restrictions on the kind of specs you can use per class and a class is behind a paywall, but they can all be obtained free if you work hard enough. I'd recommend cleric if you did start fresh though since its the most balanced class for free people and the restricted specs are all kind of meh on cleric so you wouldn't really have to worry about it. Only thing is that their only support spec is oracle which has to be bought. Druid used to be a support role but they changed that on the release of cleric, so you wont be able to que as a support which helps dungeon queues go a lot faster, especially since the newer class primalist doesn't have a support spec yet. Rogue is pretty decent too and gets bard as a support spec but their healer role (I know! Rogue healers?!?!) has to be bought. Bard is pretty fun and does decent damage, but it depends on what you like. If you like tanking/healer/dps, probably go cleric. If you just like to dps, probably go rogue since you can unlock the support role and queue faster as a dps. Most of the time people wont care if you play as a dps spec instead of your support spec since support is often only needed during endgame raids.

To add: population wise doesn't really matter. The server regions are different, but the NA servers probably have a higher population, so set your log in to NA. As for actual population, it kind of doesn't matter since you're given a free server transfer every week per character, plus you can also visit other servers to do world events or just talk etc. So it kind of like a disjointed megaserver if a sense.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Thanks.  What kind of restrictions are there, and would I be able to unlock them in game and without paying cash?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited June 2016
    FuryV said:
    Thanks.  What kind of restrictions are there, and would I be able to unlock them in game and without paying cash?
    Yeah you can unlock 99% of the game with out paying out your own wallet. If trade in Rift in game money for Rex that gives you credits. It is a hard start but over time becomes easyer and easyer to get more of the in game money. So you can get a Rex every 2 weeks with out farming around max level just by playing the game and doing daily and weeklys.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    FuryV said:
    I guess you can't really tell me if it's worth it for ME as you're not me, but I'd just like to get some other peoples' opinions on a few things.  Never tried Rift before, but saw a few screenshots that made me interested.

- Cliché question here, but how is the population?  I'm EU by the way.

- Are Trion looking like they're still interested in the game, or have they jumped ship to focus on other stuff?  Looking for something I can get into and play for a few years really.

- How are the F2P restrictions?

- I won't be using any instant leveling stuff, as I'd like to take my time going through the zones.  Are there still people around doing lower level dungeons etc?

Thanks.
    Population is steady.  Its a low pop game overall, but that doesn't matter so much because the servers will feel active enough and its not in any danger of shutting down.

Trion is still interested in the game, but it suffers greatly from the biggest issue that plagues f2p models:  pure sub model means they want to keep you p(l)aying, freemium model means they need to figure out how to get your money.

F2P restrictions are a mixed bag.  The big draw of the game is the class structure, and you are missing about 1/4 of the options if you dont pay for the soul packs.  Still, there are plenty of options for builds and if you go slow you wont care about things like the earring slot you have to buy, it will be months before you get to that point.

People will tell you you can buy everything via trading in game currency, but with your play style that likely wont be an option, thats for the rush to level and grind plat crowd.

Expect long waits for dungeons.  Rift, more so than any game, is a huge believer in that the leveling portion of the game is an inconvenience and has 'instant adventures' to get you through it as fast as possible.  The content is certainly there, they just assume you dont want to really do it and most of the games players feel the same way.

Really though, you have nothing to lose so give it a shot.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    edited June 2016
    I played rift for years ago and its a good game..not the best but not the worst..its decent ok and good :dizzy: [mod edit]...now imagine your end game lvl and have done dungeons so you have great gear to enter bigger raids..then all the "pro" or payers players will ask you about your DPS or Heal ratio before you can do the bigger end game raids..[mod edit] and finds out you cant unlock sertain item slots like earrings or what ever they created for new socketsslots for gear

Back in the days i had not paid for that "under water expansion" so i could not use earring slots and my DPS would not be enough to play with the Pros...who had payd or farmed ther life essence out of ther hearts. Then i heard you have the chance to unlock these slots with something called REX.. a token you get for doing smaller dungeons ( that takes like 30-60 mins to enter) because no one is doing these low end dungeons at days cuz they are all fed with rex. So again what is left for you to do is [mod edit]  until REX starts to drop haha..prolly wont help ya
    Post edited by Vaross on

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I used to play for a month or three a few years back, I mostly left due to my pc not being able to handle it too well and poor optimization. 

I just started with a new character from scratch yesterday and I'm honestly having a blast again. The game runs waaay better with the recent mutli core support. I think Rift will keep me busy for a while and I'll most likely play it alongside Legion.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

If somebody hasn't played Rift at all, the default souls and perhaps the storm legion souls provide enough possibilities to fiddle around with to keep a new player busy for a while. After a while you'll notice that the diversity is but alot of smoke and mirrors and it basicly comes down to very few builds that actually work.

I played my mage and cleric in and out back then and eventually noticed that there is really not that much room for experimentation -unless you don't mind to play some rather gimped and ineffective character.
    You basicly pick a soul as your main and add two other souls for supportive passive stats like +spell dmg, +crit and such.

Also keep in mind that since there are raids in the game and there has been PvP, so some souls are rather tailored towards that and not really worth to put points into while you level.

Some souls are hard to get to work with any other soul and if you show up in a dungeon with some crazy build as DD, groups will ask you to switch to common stuff like i.e. a pyromancer.
    If you play a healer, be prepared to run into alot of tanks that have builds that don't really work for tanking or tank in DPS gear. While this may happen in every game, in Rift it is just part of the drill.

Rift worked best for me when i made it my own story and played totally unfazed by the playerbase. Like trying to make a Cabalist work with the Defiler and such, doing stuff i liked -no matter how long it took to kill something. Guild and group-playing will funnel you into playing cookie cutter builds. Meters and parses matter and you don't score high on both if you follow the game's original premise to "play and build whatever you want".

I still have some age old keys from a promotion that should enable bags slot and some stuff, i don't remember anymore. They somewhat unlocked the full game on a trial account back then. I don't know what you'll be getting when you start a new account today or if they still work, but if you want to give it a try i can PM you one.

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Yes, of course. It's nothing... and I mean NOTHING like as good as it was, but It's still a decent game despite the brutal monetization of several aspects and the pay walls. It has been "archeaged" in many ways.

Just accept it for what it is, a F2P title that has a lot locked away unless you cough up the dough or spend an enormous amount of time grinding to buy Rex (in the in-game currency).

Be careful on the forums tho, just got warned for this, no sense of humour and very touchy about dropping numbers right now :).
    "Trion has been pretty effective at thinking up ways to drive players away from Rift. This is just another example of their dedication to the long term goal of zero-player servers. "

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If you liked WOW and aren't biased then you can easily know that Rift is everything WOW should have been but without subscriptions.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I feel Rift caught everyone's eye in the beginning.The concept sounded cool and marketing looked good.
    However i know a LOT about game design,so it doesn't take long for me to spot a cheaply made game.

The concept of Rifts were cool for about 1 day then it became increasingly boring day after day.The game is basically like a generic copy and paste game design.The Rifts were the devs chance at a unique game but because they did them so poorly the game could not hold my attention beyond week 2-3 and even then i was bored come first hour each day.
     I spot almost everything in a game's design,so when i entered the game world in some cheap looking Warehouse ,i was totally turned off right away.Then everything else looked like an RTS game,modules plotted down all over,it did NOT look like a game world.

Needless to say,i quit after week 3,tried it again a year or so later and quit after day 1,game is simply "IMO" not good enough in any area of game design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    No
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    i returned 2 days ago with my wife, we had no problem to get instant dungeons since then.

i enjoy the game, just dont compare it technicaly to GW2 for example. its a bit more old school

F2P is ok but sooner or later you hit the wall and have to pay at least $40 for your 1st x-pack

for me and my wife the whole complete game with all expansions incl the new one would cost

2 x €149 = 298€ to have it all

WHICH WONT HAPPEN :dizzy:

The pricing is completly sick and looks to much for a game.........