Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussion on pvp, ganking and the life penalty

DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
edited June 2016 in Chronicles of Elyria
Ok so not to hijack the other thread I am posting a new discussion to discus the merits of pvp.  I will try getting the previous topic in a quote so we can continue where we left off.

Let's also try to keep this one mature and free from personal attacks

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

Comments

• DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Aragon100 said:
    Drakenhoff said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Aragon100 said:
    @Aragon100 Are you assuming that I don't like PvP because I don't like the term carebear? The truth is, I am not against PvP; I think many players who like PvP tend to be the most difficult to deal with or to please. I have no issue with CoE having a "no safe zone"; want to know why? In CoE, if you kill a player, and the risk is not worth the reward, you will have to face serious consequences, and that may make the kill not worth it. CoE is not a game for Ganking; if you go around killing new or random players, then CoE is not the game for you. The only games where I do not like PvP are in games that are P2W, which is the case in many of the games that I have played. So many games have issues with balancing PvP as well, and not mention a lot of drama; if I don't like PvP those are a couple reasons why. I personally do not know any good PvP games out there; that are both fair and fun to play. Hopefully, CoE will be that game.
    No i am not assuming you don't like PvP. I asked you if you accept being clean looted 10 times every time you enter CoE PvP? That is what will happen if you are unskilled or play without friends. Ganking will be close to old UO if developers continue down the road they started.

Yes there will be consequences and the reward might not deserve the risk but the risk is i will get a shorter life span but many players will accept that risk and just buy them self a new spark. Me and my guildies are all grown ups with steady salaries every month and a new spark after 4 months instead of 12 months for 30$ wont deter us. I don't see that as a serious consequence. It is refreshing with a game that take risk vs reward seriously.

CoE is a game for ganking, how can you not understand that? What would prevent me and my guildies to gank all i see? The fear of loosing my life span? That wont prevent us from being PK:s.

The last really good and fun PvP MMO game i played was UO before feb 2003 when EA killed that game with the Age of Shadows sequal.

And yes i hope CoE will become the new old UO, so many players have waited for a good PvP game with risk vs reward and consequences. Hopefully the PvP will become player skill based and not unskilled and zerg based.
    That wasn't my impression of CoE; I thought their aim was to deter ganking (not PvP). From my understanding, the people that are most at risk would be a King or Queen or other players in powerful positions. Are you actually admitting that you are looking forward to CoE for the ganking? lol
    I think there will be people devoted to ganking because they're always are in PvP games, but the developers intend to make the penalties for it harsh enough that it will deter most from that course of action.  It's going to cost people a lot of real money to be a ganker.  The people who think there's going to be a lot of this aren't really thinking it through.  Gankers reign supreme in other PvP games because it doesn't cost them anything but time.  If you put real dollars as the cost I guarantee you that you're going to drive away most of the ganking wankers.  Why would they dump loads of money into Chronicles of Elyria to gank people when they can do it essentially for free in plenty of other games?  The answer is: they won't.
    Yes there will lots and lots of ganking in CoE. Paying 30$ every 2-4 months wont deter gankers from doing just that.

I'm a PvP player but when we meet players that deserve to be ganked then we do just that. That was what we did in UO and that is what we will do in this game. 

Full loot and being able to grief will draw that kind of players to this game cause there is not 1 other MMO game out there that give you that kind of freedom.
    Albion Online has it and that's just the one I know of off the top of my head.  And try $30 every few weeks if you're ganking.  I'm not sure where you get 2 to 4 months.  If you're running around killing people left and right your soul is going to be gone after a few weeks of doing that.

And if $30 every few weeks doesn't cut it, the developers will make the penalties even harsher.  They've made their commitment in this regard clear.  If it takes $60 a month to gank, how many people do you think will do it?  Would YOU pay for that privilege?  I certainly wouldn't.  I'm sure some people would, but I'm betting you're looking at maybe 1 in 10 of the normal gankoholic douchebags, tops.

It isn't going to be a problem.
    I agree it will be less common with having to put up more real life money but there will be a lot of ganking. 

And i doubt developers would raise the cost to 60$ for a spark since it would remove a lot of potential players from their game.

How long time it will take to loose your life being a ganker is something i have no clue of. 

You seem to have a few weeks as the time limit of your spark as a ganker, why don't you give me a developer quote on that since you seem to have such information.

It's quite straight forward really. You gank someone 10 times in a row, they lose 4 days game time you lose 40 days.
    And as for your full loot pvp I think you need to reread that. It's only full loot when they perma die.

Now let's change that up, there is 5 people in the group that your ganking, you kill all 5 people 10 times that'd 200 days of your spark gone in 1 hour...
    Thanks for the info.

If you have a guild of 20 people and you take turns doing the coup the grace it wont affect your life as much as it would if i did all the killing myself.

I still believe there will be a lot of ganking or killing going on and to minimize the shitstorm that will come from the casual players i believe developers will have to make the game more of a carebear version then it is today.

But to counter this the developers could include all the people attacking in the punishment so all 20 of you could lose 200 days of life...

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited June 2016
    Aragon100 said:
    Drakenhoff said:
    Aragon100 said:

If you have a guild of 20 people and you take turns doing the coup the grace it wont affect your life as much as it would if i did all the killing myself.

I still believe there will be a lot of ganking or killing going on and to minimize the shitstorm that will come from the casual players i believe developers will have to make the game more of a carebear version then it is today.

But to counter this the developers could include all the people attacking in the punishment so all 20 of you could lose 200 days of life...
    We could just heal him or another way that was done in UO, block the pray in with players surrounding him and it will be hard to give a collective punishment.

Players that is interested in griefing/ganking will find ways. I don't see this life spark punishment as a solid sollution to ganking/griefing. Played just about all hardcore PvP MMO games for almost 20 years and the so far best one for preventing griefing was the UO sollution with felucca and it's mirror world trammel.

Felucca was also consensual PvP. There was a setting of rules in felucca and by leaving trammel you accepted those rules. If you didn't like being part of such hardcore PvP then you had trammel to fall back on.

It's going to be interesting but I believe that the punishment system will work to an extent. It's simple that those that don't like PvP will stay in civilised areas. They might add npc patrols that will attack gankers near towns and cities, the game is still in development so it could go in any directuon. 

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    Lol games always get pvp wrong these days.  The whole kid gloves thing is ridiculous.  PvP in a permadeath game sounds like a big lose if it triggers permadeath.  I'm a giant fan of pvp, but I'm not at all a fan of permadeath.  The way this game explains it sounds tolerable, but only tolerable to the extent that full loot is tolerable.  Death penalties need to be more harsh than WoW, but damn some people take it way too far, games are supposed to be fun.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited June 2016
    Aragon100 said:
    i believe developers will have to make the game more of a carebear version then it is today.
    Seriously....? How come it does not seem to bother you even the slightest that there is no game at all in the first place?
    Gdemami said:
    Aragon100 said:
    i believe developers will have to make the game more of a carebear version then it is today.
    Seriously....?
    I don't want to see that happen and i hope i am wrong.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    We need more information.

Right now it sure does look like they(CoE) are aiming for the haves and the haves not.  Which is something they have already espoused as aiming for.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Ok so not to hijack the other thread I am posting a new discussion to discus the merits of pvp.  I will try getting the previous topic in a quote so we can continue where we left off.

Thanks, I appreciate it! :) I'm going one more point on this subject; from my understanding in CoE, every action that you do will impact your character in a Role-Play sense. So if a player goes around "ganking", how will your character be viewed in the game? I know that they discussed having a Wanted Board in CoE, but I really hope the justice system is different from ArcheAge; it was a complete joke in AA.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    I believe, but can't say 100 percent, that there will be a reputation system in place for npc's where you will be attacked on sight by guards and if you have a bad rep then npc merchants won't trade with you

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Thanks, I appreciate it! :) I'm going one more point on this subject; from my understanding in CoE, every action that you do will impact your character in a Role-Play sense. So if a player goes around "ganking", how will your character be viewed in the game? I know that they discussed having a Wanted Board in CoE, but I really hope the justice system is different from ArcheAge; it was a complete joke in AA.
    The big issue with a justice system approach is the ability for the player to leave the game to avoid the penalty for disruptive behavior.  A player could simply log in an alt / secondary account and continue the behavior that caused the problem.  Any penalty with a timer is too easily avoided.  The player provides the behavior, the character is just the mechanism to express that behavior.  Every in-game punishment applies to the character, and isn't any form of reliable detriment.

Unless CoE is willing to promote punishments that actually affect the player, any in-game judicial system is likely to fail.  Tying a punishment to a player (financial penalty automatically charged to a mandatory credit card) would be a game-closing failure.  (And the credit card companies would very likely get upset with the number of 'challenged charges' from one specific vendor, before anyone gets the idea that they would just get the charges removed from their credit bill).

Punishment ultimately comes down to a voluntary act -- one of role playing.  Is CoE expecting to have a player base with 100% acceptance of penalties?  Everyone who's tried to role play by acting has probably come across the 'This is a game, I will do what I want' attitude.  That attitude doesn't seem compatible with communal role playing, where even a small percentage can be disruptive.  I think that a 100% compliance level may very well be unrealistic.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Personally myself I see this working out like Age of Wushu/Wulin.  Yes you will have the occasional jerk who will kill you just for the lawl, so to speak. However, you can also go for very long periods of time without getting jumped as well.  You'll have people who will want to kill for sport/fun and then you'll have your do-gooders that want to take these people out.  It's a back and forth trade.

There are some key differences, however, I feel personally they counter themselves enough to make comparing the amount of ganking in Age of Wushu/Wulin comparable to what I believe will be the case in this game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Mendel; just a few points...

"The big issue with a justice system approach is the ability for the player to leave the game to avoid the    penalty for disruptive behavior.  A player could simply log in an alt / secondary account and continue the behavior that caused the problem.  Any penalty with a timer is too easily avoided."

Yes, there will be some players with alts or secondary characters but each character is independent (not account based). There is NO LOGING OUT, as your charactes will remain in game 24/7. Even if you swap to play a ALT, your first character remains in game in a OPC (Offline Player Character) mode.

And where to begin with this one, have you even read up on the game?

"Tying a punishment to a player (financial penalty automatically charged to a mandatory credit card) would be a game-closing failure."

Where in the world did you get the idea that if you kill somone in game that CoE will charge your credit card? Wow, I don't know where to go with this... Yes you will have a financial penalty per death (loss of spirit) but that is so minute that you would not even feel it (2 days per death over a year's lifespan). Now if you die alot or kill alot that year can be reduced to perhaps 4 months (that is if you are really pushing things) (4 months / $30 per spark = less than $10 per month well under any available subscription game). Now it is at this time you need to apply a purchased spark of life for another year of play. So this auto-billing a credit card is just ludacris and I don't even know how you could dream up such a scenario.
    @whilan I would be quite interested to know details of the age of wushan system of you have the time please sounds interesting.

@Morwynn a slight couple of errors but otherwise perfect. 

It's 4 days loss per gank not 2 days unless they reduced it.
    And a ganker can lose an unlimited amount so they could lose all 365 days (approx) in one session if they ganked enough people...

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Atm i like Gloria Victis system prety solid and not punish ganker , player died 
  • FergusRedbeardFergusRedbeard Member CommonPosts: 2
    Depending how well the NPCs are programmed, they will cut down on gankers.  A reputation will get out and you will get attacked on sight, barred from entering towns, no one will sell you food, etc etc.  

When you do loot someone's body you can only carry so much.  There is no epic gear or soul bound unique gear so killing the same person over and over kinda loses its appeal.  Not to mention, if you take everything off my body....it's not the end of the world.  They are simple items that I can remake or buy again most likely.

Not to mention you won't be able to tell just from glancing at individuals if they are an NPC or a PC and there are no names floating above heads.

I think some of these and a whole lot more will go a decent ways in reducing/ balancing griefing.  Kind of takes the reward out of it.  And for those that do....they will simply burn through their soul quickly.  And in general....why are you traveling around unfamiliar country alone anyways? Take a friend or two.
    Depending how well the NPCs are programmed, they will cut down on gankers.  A reputation will get out and you will get attacked on sight, barred from entering towns, no one will sell you food, etc etc.  

When you do loot someone's body you can only carry so much.  There is no epic gear or soul bound unique gear so killing the same person over and over kinda loses its appeal.  Not to mention, if you take everything off my body....it's not the end of the world.  They are simple items that I can remake or buy again most likely.

Not to mention you won't be able to tell just from glancing at individuals if they are an NPC or a PC and there are no names floating above heads.

I think some of these and a whole lot more will go a decent ways in reducing/ balancing griefing.  Kind of takes the reward out of it.  And for those that do....they will simply burn through their soul quickly.  And in general....why are you traveling around unfamiliar country alone anyways? Take a friend or two.
    I think this is brilliantly put. Exactly what I was thinking throughout my thoughts on ganking.

Also thanks to all the contributors for not atracking each other so far and having a reasonable discussion 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Morwynn said:
    Mendel; just a few points...

"The big issue with a justice system approach is the ability for the player to leave the game to avoid the    penalty for disruptive behavior.  A player could simply log in an alt / secondary account and continue the behavior that caused the problem.  Any penalty with a timer is too easily avoided."

Yes, there will be some players with alts or secondary characters but each character is independent (not account based). There is NO LOGING OUT, as your charactes will remain in game 24/7. Even if you swap to play a ALT, your first character remains in game in a OPC (Offline Player Character) mode.

The point isn't about punishing the character, it's about punishing the player.  Sure a character that is used to commit a felony stands around when logged out.  It hasn't been determined if these characters will be immune to attacks by other players.  Even if the character is killed in retaliation while in OPC mode, there won't be any sense of justice or jurisprudence.  How much satisfaction is a victim going to get from retaliating against a practice dummy with the killer's face?

Morwynn said:
    And where to begin with this one, have you even read up on the game?

"Tying a punishment to a player (financial penalty automatically charged to a mandatory credit card) would be a game-closing failure."

Where in the world did you get the idea that if you kill somone in game that CoE will charge your credit card? Wow, I don't know where to go with this... Yes you will have a financial penalty per death (loss of spirit) but that is so minute that you would not even feel it (2 days per death over a year's lifespan). Now if you die alot or kill alot that year can be reduced to perhaps 4 months (that is if you are really pushing things) (4 months / $30 per spark = less than $10 per month well under any available subscription game). Now it is at this time you need to apply a purchased spark of life for another year of play. So this auto-billing a credit card is just ludacris and I don't even know how you could dream up such a scenario.
    This is a hypothetical example of a system that directly punishes the player, not the character, not intended to represent CoE or their position.  I agree, it's a bad idea.  It can only lead to displeasure in the player base, and ultimately driving players away.  But, given other ideas that CoE has already embraced, it doesn't seem a tremendous stretch to me for them to try this idea out.  So, while the idea isn't currently in CoE's plans, it is possible that they try to implement such a system.

But if you look at CoE's proposed system, as you quoted above, there is a financial cost to the victim.  The proposed plan is to indirectly penalize someone who dies by requiring them to pay for a spark sooner than they would have normally.  The perpetrator of the action doesn't get a similar penalty.  So, the system that CoE is planning to use punishes the victim with financial loss, but the murderer gets away without punishment.  Eventually, someone else will notice this.  That realization will drive away people.

A system that punishes the victim isn't any kind of justice.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I am not trying to defend the system in CoE, and for myself I also find it a little odd. Two things to keep in mind as we dig deeper, a simple incapacitation will not result in any spirit loss for the victum, but will be placed on the aggressor. And if they go a step further into Coup de Grace, only then will there be spirt loss for the victim. With the Aggressor, they will suffer more spirit loss for both the Incapacitaion and CdG which will be much more than the victim. And with the added penalty for fame, the penality can be quite severe for both I would assume. Or even only punish the instigator of the confilct unless in an arena or battlefront situtaion. While I to see a problem with punishing the victim here, hopefully CoE can adjust the punishment to meet the crime because I do not want to see a gank fest in this game. Only time will tell as they enter the alpha and beta stages and we can see how it works out.

There is a lot of problems with what you said.

1.  No idea on how the identification system will work.
    a. If the NPCs auto-identify... whole skill systems are worthless
    b. If no auto-identify, moving around is not going to be difficult.  There is this implication that players wont be going more than 5 miles from their starting town.

2. The looting system in place is next to worthless.  This game is not about gear.  It is going to be about making people lose game time

3.  This whole idea that you will instantly know who is pking or not isn't nearly so cut and dried as is being implied by the fans.
    Here is one huge caveat Ranged Combat.
    Everyone is human.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    One consideration is what if gankers/griefers turn out to not be some minor group and in fact are a substantial percentage of the paying customers?

I know CCP wrestles with this, and COE may find a very vocal but significant group of players who want the penalties dialed back some.

Balance becomes tricky, especially as devs work towards solutions to try and keep the most customers happy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    One consideration is what if gankers/griefers turn out to not be some minor group and in fact are a substantial percentage of the paying customers?

I know CCP wrestles with this, and COE may find a very vocal but significant group of players who want the penalties dialed back some.

Balance becomes tricky, especially as devs work towards solutions to try and keep the most customers happy.
    I think that is a problem with how CoE has been hyped by CoE themselves.
    They keep saying survival and open pvp game.  Then you dig deeper and sure it's kinda survival based and sorta open world pvp however it comes with a but 1, a but 2, a but 3, a but 4...
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    It's a player-ran world. If you don't want to hang out with the pvp gankers you need to join forces and form a town/settlement with like-minded people and try to protect yourselves. I like PvP but I'm no ganker, however, I've played with gankers before and they are infamous for not thinking ahead. To them it's about instant gratification, an instant thrill of a player kill. But crafters, pvers, and thinkers are going to be getting the most out of this game. You can build an entire castle for your community with your own rules.

Don't want gankers in your castle? Don't open the gates for them. "Gankers" will have to eventually rely on the economy to get them weapons, armor, food and other survival tools to keep alive in a game where death is very much a thing. Ganking is such a high risk/low reward game because the losses you can sustain greatly outweigh the benefits. Jailtime is probably the worst thing for your character because not only are you not able to play for a X period of time but your character will continue to age and lose much of his lifespan -- and for what? 

At the end of the day the gankers will need to go to a town for a meal & food and to be apart of the economy most likely ruled by less focused pvpers. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

You're not seriously suggesting that players will not be able to tell PC's from NPC's ?

Have the CoE devs created the worlds first independent AI ?

Just observing a character ingame for a few minutes will make it absolutely obvious whether it's a scripted NPC or not. 

In every MMO I've ever played, exploits and glitches were always found by the players. No testing team can ever hope to cover everything that 100K players can dream up. Human ingenuity is boundless, as most experienced MMO players can tell you ! :D 

If you're hellbent on having a murderer character in the game, being banned from towns and trading is a minor inconvenience. Just get a second account so that your bandit can be fed by a law-abiding citizen. I'm sure there will even be players that will specialize in providing those services (at a price).
    Kyleran said:

Yes i expect it to be quite common with ganking groups that don't see the the real life money as a burden if they can continue with what they enjoy.

As i see it these developers have chosen the wrong approach to minimize griefing/ganking, they should have choosen the UO version of statloss for PK:s and a mirror world for the one's that don't enjoy taking part in hard core PvP with high risk and reward.

I see their decision trying to please 2 different groups of players on the same game world to be more problems for them that it is worth.

Divide them and let both play styles carry on fully with what they enjoy. A trammel player could enter felucca for the thrill and it was then consensual PvP since he himself took the decision to enter.

I just don't understand why it is so important to keep these often totally different play styles together?
    edited June 2016

You're not seriously suggesting that players will not be able to tell PC's from NPC's ?

Have the CoE devs created the worlds first independent AI ?

Just observing a character ingame for a few minutes will make it absolutely obvious whether it's a scripted NPC or not. 

In every MMO I've ever played, exploits and glitches were always found by the players. No testing team can ever hope to cover everything that 100K players can dream up. Human ingenuity is boundless, as most experienced MMO players can tell you ! :D 

If you're hellbent on having a murderer character in the game, being banned from towns and trading is a minor inconvenience. Just get a second account so that your bandit can be fed by a law-abiding citizen. I'm sure there will even be players that will specialize in providing those services (at a price).
    Agree.

Taking advantage of game mechanisms was a sport in felucca UO.

And yes, it is easy to see the difference btw a NPC and a player.