Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What'll it take to resurrect UO2? Could another company buy the source code?

EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

If a company that wants UO2 has the resources, then they could get it and restart it, somehow. What'll it take to make UO2 happen again?

"When Hell freezes over", eh? Well, it has. Hell has indeed frozen.

Now that you know that resurrecting UO2 is possible, how will it be?

Comments

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Is it really possible? And the game, if released today, would be so old and outdated for release that no one would play it.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • Does OSI have the resources to develop a new game?  I was under the impression they have a very small group of devs sort of maintaining UO now.

More than that, Lord British (aka Richard Gariott) is long gone from the company.  I don't think it would really be an Ultima without him :(

• PsyXPsyX Member Posts: 220

... OSI does not exist ..

And secondly OSI was owned by EA games up until the day Orgin systems (osi) was disbanded

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397
    The source code for UO2 is lying around somewhere so why don't they sell it, or give it to someone else somehow?

• Originally posted by shultz
    The source code for UO2 is lying around somewhere so why don't they sell it, or give it to someone else somehow?

I think the Ultima name is still worth a lot.  Despite being pretty old, a lot of players recognize the franchise.  With the MMO market being so big and lucrative, it wouldn't shock me one bit if EA doesn't have something on the back-burner at least for a sequel (even though, like I already said, without Garriot I don't think its really an Ultima).
  • gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

UO2 released now would be like going back in time 4 years, grabbing a game, and selling it for $50 as a brand new game. Just doesnt work.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there