Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New MMORPG.com Arrives Next Week - General Editorial

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe New MMORPG.com Arrives Next Week - General Editorial

The time has finally come. Our brand new site design is almost ready to go live. This coming Tuesday, June 21st, MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance for an estimated 24 hours as we bring over the new site and migrate all the data from the old one. Read on for what it all means for you, our loyal readers.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Very nice looking forward to the new site just hope mobile version works well as I use mmorpg.com mainly on smartphone.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Very nice looking forward to the new site just hope mobile version works well as I use mmorpg.com mainly on smartphone.

It does! And definitely far better than the current one!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Sounds and looks awesome! Can't wait to see it next week.
  • kjohiokjohio Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Eagerly looking forward to it. Looking very modern and easy to use. Great job folks.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Good luck Bill!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I shall hold my breath. Gamespot redid theirs.. and I no longer use the site because of it. I hope that it isn't the case here. We shall see the functionality, as I know a lot of work has been going into this.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Good luck, and thanks for hosting our random musings, rants, and raves for over a decade!

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Can that white background be changed to something darker by the user?
    Horusra said:
    Yep. See the article. :) 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Nice! I just hope there will be a dark theme, it's much better to browse the website at night
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    A much needed update. Web design has evolved so much, that this current site is a relic. lol.

I've been coming here since around 2004 and i think it's only changed once or twice. It looks really nice from the preview.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Will look forwards to seeing the new site!

I'm curious what the motivation was/is behind the redesign? I'm guessing responsive design (to increase google rankings and thus traffic), more prominent features (as these are your main traffic drivers) and just more general desire to improve design?

Will the new site offer any more / less functionality?

Whilst I don't really like the buttons in the forums (insightful etc), I must admit I was quite pleased when I hit "rare" the other day! Are you keeping the new forum engine as it hasn't really been that long since you switched!

Good luck with the switchover, hope all goes well. I don't enjoy your team on the data import, its always my most dreaded activity when working on client's websites!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    D-down...  F-for maintenance...  For 24 hours????

But I might die! <starts scratching uncontrollably>

Does this mean I'll have to spend a day in that god-awful sunlight everyone keeps pimping?? :cry:

Whilst I don't really like the buttons in the forums (insightful etc), I must admit I was quite pleased when I hit "rare" the other day! Are you keeping the new forum engine as it hasn't really been that long since you switched!

Good luck with the switchover, hope all goes well. I don't enjoy your team on the data import, its always my most dreaded activity when working on client's websites!
    Same forums! New site's general functionality is the same, with user experience being at the core of the redesign. It's going to be easier to find and do everything. Even the Game List becomes responsive in searching.

My Review Manifesto

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    "gratz" on the new design and thank you for including the white or black option.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Ikeda said:

I shall hold my breath. Gamespot redid theirs.. and I no longer use the site because of it. I hope that it isn't the case here. We shall see the functionality, as I know a lot of work has been going into this.

I agree.

Greenmangaming changed their site into something that looks like a mobile friendly layout but is ugly as fuck for pc users. I barely check that site now.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Horusra said:
    Yep. See the article. :) 
    Get'm @BillMurphy next time maybe they'll actually READ the article instead of just looking at pictures :)  I really hope when it's completed all the work ya'll have done makes a bit more sense.
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Hoping for good things Bill, the last few software purchase sites that i go to everyday updated their sites and now you cant find a darn thing or navigate anywhere you want to go,,but it looks pretty :( Hoping that isn't the case with MMORPG and cant wait to give it a spin,... This site and a cup of coffee are what gets me going in the morning..
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Looking forward to it. Thanks for the hard work guys.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited June 2016
    haha!

this is gonna be good a new site design to readers that all they do is critique....

give that designer a volume on tuesday! im loving axelerants own website!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Approved.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Ugh. It looks pretty bloated. Hopefully, the final version will be better streamlined.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Looks good.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    edited June 2016
    I agree with Sam - it looks like a crowded mess designed primarily for phone and tablet use. 
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Yay more adverts!

Also, on the new site, will we have to click on 100 links to read things still? As in Front page - click here to read this story - click it, takes me to a paragraph with "click here to read the story" click it, takes me a page 1 with a "click here to view comments", click it, now on page 5 of adverts to read one story... Only to find it was a paid for ad pretending to be a story.

I get you have to have ads, but do you need to bombard me with them?

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright