Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Took the plunge..

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
edited June 2016 in Gloria Victis
SO I bought a game in Early Access, mostly because there's still a long while to wait for Conan Exiles, and I've been itching to play something a little different for a PVP game. I usually play M&B and Chiv for that fix, but wanted something a bit more worldly. 

The good from what I've seen so far:

The combat system is similar to M&B, by that I mean you dictate strikes by moving your mouse up, left, right or back, in unison with clicks, to perform different types of swings. It's rough at present but with polish could work well in PVP. 

Itemization seems rather deep, I also like the types of weapons and armors that are available. Combined with the atmosphere it all adds up to a decent medieval feel. 

Leveling up is quite simple, yet fits it's purpose seemingly well. There's still more to come on that front so it's hard to have a full impression of what it will truly entail in the end. 

MOB grinding thus far hasn't felt overly grindy, most fights have been rather short, Spawns seem rather fast so there's no issue with finding a good spot to run around in. Also watch out things will chase you down and attack before you even know they're onto you, especially in wooded areas.

The Bad:

I'll start by saying a lot of the issues stem from where the game is in development. SO there are plenty of bugs, desync, little variation in mobs, mob placement and npc placement seems rather sporadic filler, with no real AI governing them to perform in any realistic way.

In 2 hours of play I've had no crashes, but have had some serious bottlenecks in terms of performance. Which seem to stem mostly from the chat channels surprisingly.  There also seems to be some serious optimization issues as well, lots of pop-in, hitching, and things of that nature. A fix today seemed to solve some of these things to some extent, but there's a lot of work left to be done.

Overall: it's not a bad game, I don't regret the purchase and will consider it a good thing to pick up now and then until it is further along in development, at which point I might get pretty serious about it.. 

Forgot to mention I haven't took part in any PVP yet, I am still getting a feel for the game, once I do I'll update this post with my feelings on that aspect of the game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Also, just took the plunge.  I'm enjoying it, but have the same basic assessment as you.  For those who are early adopters and like to test out a game (with all the issues that the OP mentioned), it's worth the purchase.  If you're a hair trigger refund guy, I'd wait for a while until it fleshes out and gets a bit more mature.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Much jealous
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • AshestoAshes420AshestoAshes420 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited June 2016
    I am enjoying the game as well, just want to up vote it here on mmorpg but not enough points. 

The devs will get the bugs worked out, though the game that is there now will be quite a bit different from what the game will be at launch. Atleast according to the devs. 

Side note, my friends on there and I have already had some 20 vs 10 fights and just the fact that you can use strategies to win fight twice your number makes this game a keeper for people that like to fight like jon snow!
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I gave them 1$ about a year ago and now I got early access.  woot
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Is the combat any better? I played many months ago and the animations where not that great.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Mad+Dog said:
    Is the combat any better? I played many months ago and the animations where not that great.
    I am not sure how it was months ago, but hit boxes are still eh' "wonky?". Desync is still an issue as well, animations still need a ton of work too. IF that's what you experienced, then no it's not any better. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Well im new to these forums so sorry if im not allowed to post videos but this was at a fight i was at, and it played the same for me.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I bought it almost two years ago now, early alpha. It was in a terrible state at the time, yet there was something fun and addictive at it's core. The game has come a long way since then judging by what I've seen in recent videos. It's not surprising that it has a very long way to go either. One day GV should be a pretty cool game.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Yeah its definately not finished but with a group of likeminded people you can have alot of fun!
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Looking forward to it.  I made the mistake of thinking the combat was going to be Darkfall smooth/polished and it is really far from it.  I know they plan an extensive combat rework, should be good fun after that.