Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful Garbage

Comments

• spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54
    rawfox said:
    Compared to ArcheAge, BDO is a funny little try, but beside of that, ill never play a Korean game again.
    Koreans can make Engines, Techs, incredible worlds and animations, but .. well, sadly they can not make a game.
    Gamemechanics from south east Asia is judged complete /fail by the very most of the western mmorpg players audience.

They can make very good games if they want, but they don't.  The problem is with their business ethic or lack of one.  They design these games to be cash cows, get rich quick schemes and view consumers as victims to be bleed of every cent they can as quickly as they can.  Trion is the most blatant example of this.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The salt.  O.o
  • LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367
    spafon said:
    Trion is the most blatant example of this.
    Trion is an American company. Perhaps you mean NCSoft? 
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    All this salt and yet I'm having more fun in a game than I've had in years. Guess I'm one of those people on the other side of all your 'if you like this game then... x' sweeping generalizations. Or, maybe the game actually is fun.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited July 2016
    Just started.  Cutscenes are off-putting.  Will I see less of those?
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    All this salt and yet I'm having more fun in a game than I've had in years. Guess I'm one of those people on the other side of all your 'if you like this game then... x' sweeping generalizations. Or, maybe the game actually is fun.
    "Beautiful Garbage"

Perfect analogy. But I still play it like Rad said.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    svann said:
    Just started.  Cutscenes are off-putting.  Will I see less of those?
    Yes, but there aren't many of them. And you can always hit escape to skip them if they annoy you that much.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ZArmiZZArmiZ Member UncommonPosts: 27
    The graphics and combat are great but it doesnt replace the lack of customization..i didnt believe its equal to 0 until i got the game and ive seen it  :) the rest of the game its a re-skinned Archeage with some extra features. It lacks many important things that made me quit and on top of this the comunity its super toxic. :) 

Full tower PC

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097

A good album!

Still playing, still having fun. Best MMORPG since GW2 to me, and I hope other games will use their node/housing/crafting system as model. The game is even better with the recent changes to PvP, which stops griefers from being able to make you waste hours of XP.
    There are a lot of things to like about this game, but I'm a style guy, and I do not like looking like everyone else.  And $29 USD for one costume for one character is too much, since almost all other games out there give at least moderate choices for appearance without paying for it.

If they had a sale where you got into the game for free, or released at least a few costumes sets you could get in game, I would jump back into it and give it a go.  Like I said, there were lots of things I liked, and almost all of the things I did not like were mostly just annoying.  But that costume thing will keep me from playing, sorry to say.  People may think I am a strange critter for that (actually I am sure that a lot of people think I am a strange critter anyways), but it is how I roll...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited July 2016
    GladDog said:

A good album!

Still playing, still having fun. Best MMORPG since GW2 to me, and I hope other games will use their node/housing/crafting system as model. The game is even better with the recent changes to PvP, which stops griefers from being able to make you waste hours of XP.
    There are a lot of things to like about this game, but I'm a style guy, and I do not like looking like everyone else.  And $29 USD for one costume for one character is too much, since almost all other games out there give at least moderate choices for appearance without paying for it.

If they had a sale where you got into the game for free, or released at least a few costumes sets you could get in game, I would jump back into it and give it a go.  Like I said, there were lots of things I liked, and almost all of the things I did not like were mostly just annoying.  But that costume thing will keep me from playing, sorry to say.  People may think I am a strange critter for that (actually I am sure that a lot of people think I am a strange critter anyways), but it is how I roll...
    I think it's a reasonable complaint.  I still have a bit of a hard time reconciling the prices of the outfits and the way they force you to buy them to look decent, but as long as the payment model stays the way it is, I think it's justified.

Like I said in another post, you're going to get screwed somewhere if you play an MMORPG.  I'd much rather them screw me on cosmetics than with p2w.  Unfortunately, just paying a sub isn't really an option anymore.  

So if you just think of an outfit as a 2 month sub, it's a justifiable price.

Bottomline: "almost all other games out there give at least moderate choices for appearance without paying for it."

This is true, but most of them are p2w or get you in some other way.

For example, when BDO came out, I was playing Blade and Soul.  At the time there was no way I could justify buying outfits at 30 bucks when I had access to so many great ones for free in BnS.  Then they released the first "trove event", which is the biggest p2w rng box I've ever seen in any MMO ever.

Suddenly I understood why BnS was able to give away so many outfits...

Even sub games aren't necessarily cheaper in any way.  Take WoW- you have to pay for new expansions which you'll probably only like for a couple months.

It's true that in WoW you can change your look to 1,000 different combinations, but they are all different combinations of crap.  Plus you have the sub fee.

Personally, I'd rather pay the 30 like I did and really enjoy looking at my character than paying for expansions and a sub and my character looking like this:

• KoboliKoboli Member UncommonPosts: 210
    GladDog said:

A good album!

I think it's a reasonable complaint.  I still have a bit of a hard time reconciling the prices of the outfits and the way they force you to buy them to look decent, but as long as the payment model stays the way it is, I think it's justified.

Like I said in another post, you're going to get screwed somewhere if you play an MMORPG.  I'd much rather them screw me on cosmetics than with p2w.  Unfortunately, just paying a sub isn't really an option anymore.  

Bottomline: "almost all other games out there give at least moderate choices for appearance without paying for it."

For example, when BDO came out, I was playing Blade and Soul.  At the time there was no way I could justify buying outfits at 30 bucks when I had access to so many great ones for free in BnS.  Then they released the first "trove event", which is the biggest p2w rng box I've ever seen in any MMO ever.

Even sub games aren't necessarily cheaper in any way.  Take WoW- you have to pay for new expansions which you'll probably only like for a couple months.

It's true that in WoW you can change your look to 1,000 different combinations, but they are all different combinations of crap.  Plus you have the sub fee.

Personally, I'd rather pay the 30 like I did and really enjoy looking at my character than paying for expansions and a sub and my character looking like this:

That's really a rather extreme example, doncha think? I mean, he's pre-transmog in full BC gear. These days, if you want to rock a decent looking set, it takes very little effort to do so.

Not that I'm going to rush to the defense of WoW - I'm not. Just saying: this is sort of a low (and not even accurate) blow. 

Daum asks too much for their costumes. That's all there is to it. GW2 essentially uses the same pay model (a buy-in with a cash shop), and most of their outfits are priced at $10-$15, AND USABLE ON MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER. That's the hangup for a lot of us - that you're paying this obscene price tag for something that, should you even want to reroll on another server or w/e, you have to buy again. It's insulting on two fronts.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    No matter what people are defending or attacking they will always go to extremes to make a point. Very rarely if ever will you find someone willing to show middle ground.
    edited July 2016
    Koboli said:
    GladDog said:

A good album!

That's really a rather extreme example, doncha think? I mean, he's pre-transmog in full BC gear. These days, if you want to rock a decent looking set, it takes very little effort to do so.

Not that I'm going to rush to the defense of WoW - I'm not. Just saying: this is sort of a low (and not even accurate) blow. 

Daum asks too much for their costumes. That's all there is to it. GW2 essentially uses the same pay model (a buy-in with a cash shop), and most of their outfits are priced at $10-$15, AND USABLE ON MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER. That's the hangup for a lot of us - that you're paying this obscene price tag for something that, should you even want to reroll on another server or w/e, you have to buy again. It's insulting on two fronts.
    Yeah but you can straight up buy currency in Gw2.

I can see your argument if you really don't give a rats ass about p2w.  Otherwise, not so much.

There's no sub.  No price for expansions.  Where else would Daum make the money to keep servers going and pay employees/update the game that would be preferable to you than expensive cosmetics?
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

That's just mixed gear, not a tiered set.  At least WoW has mixed gear besides tiered sets.  It literally has thousands of gear & weapon items.

Here's the latest Legion armor.

• ZArmiZZArmiZ Member UncommonPosts: 27
    "Where else would Daum make the money to keep servers going and pay employees/update the game that would be preferable to you than expensive cosmetics?" - Same way as GW2 model ... but give the game some customization for the looks ....not just Cash Shop ... Sincerly 0 customization for such a game its retarded for 2016 I appologize i dont want to offend but this is the reality

Full tower PC

I think it's probably worth $30 to not have shoulderpads the size of your legs.
    Ultimately, I do think WoW's moneitzation model is the best.  Pay upfront and pay for full access.

But unfortunately, Devs no longer believe the sub model is sustainable for MMORPGs.

So if we're not to have a sub, how will money be made?  RNG boxes?  P2W currency conversion?  Pay for content updates?

Or expensive outfits.  Personally I think expensive outfits are the lesser of all these evils.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    spafon said:
    rawfox said:
    Compared to ArcheAge, BDO is a funny little try, but beside of that, ill never play a Korean game again.
    Koreans can make Engines, Techs, incredible worlds and animations, but .. well, sadly they can not make a game.
    Gamemechanics from south east Asia is judged complete /fail by the very most of the western mmorpg players audience.

They can make very good games if they want, but they don't.  The problem is with their business ethic or lack of one.  They design these games to be cash cows, get rich quick schemes and view consumers as victims to be bleed of every cent they can as quickly as they can.  Trion is the most blatant example of this.
    Actually it is the gameplaying audience in Korea.  They tend to like open world PvP and treat MMORPGs like we treat FPS titles.  Play until you are satisfied you did everything, then go get the next one.  There are a very few titles that last, like Blade & Soul, but a lot of them drop dead in well under 4 years there.  Why invest millions in thoroughly designing a game that will likely be dead before you can even patch all of the beta problems?

Revelation Online and Bless Online seem to be bucking this trend, with extensive PvE and well thought out PvP interacting smoothly by design.  I'll be taking a good look at both of them.  

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Ultimately, I do think WoW's moneitzation model is the best.  Pay upfront and pay for full access.

But unfortunately, Devs no longer believe the sub model is sustainable for MMORPGs.

So if we're not to have a sub, how will money be made?  RNG boxes?  P2W currency conversion?  Pay for content updates?

Or expensive outfits.  Personally I think expensive outfits are the lesser of all these evils.
    And just look what that sub gets you in WoW these days.  One major content update for their latest xpac.  One new raid, one zone with daily quests, and a new garrison mini game.  FFXIV is still lacking anything meaningful to their updates also.  It seems like they're slowing down too.  EvE isn't doing any better either.  Now compare to F2P & B2P games, and you'll see how much free content they push out.  It's more than any sub game currently.  Is the quality better?  Perhaps not, but at least there's content to judge.
  • p89989p89989 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    DMKano said:

For example, Trion.  Compared to Trion, Daum is the best publisher ever.

Opinions vary.

Daum Korea is good.

Daum EU is terrible, far worse than any western publisher IMO
    Well, imo Daum is certainly better than Trion or NcWest.  By a huge margin.

Only publisher of an Eastern game I can think of that comes off as better is EnMasse for TERA.  But TERA never had the problems that Archeage, BDO or BnS had, so they were never really put to the test.

Daum has botched some things and they need to improve on things.  But at least they aren't blatant cash-grabbers.

Both Trion and NcWest botched at least as many things as Daum, and grabbed cash at every possible opportunity at the cost of the quality of the game.
    that $30 price tag they slapped on the front is already pretty cash grabby considering it's free to play everwhere else in the world. what else but to cash in on the hype that was generated out here in the west.
    p89989 said:
    DMKano said:

Opinions vary.

Daum Korea is good.

Only publisher of an Eastern game I can think of that comes off as better is EnMasse for TERA.  But TERA never had the problems that Archeage, BDO or BnS had, so they were never really put to the test.

Daum has botched some things and they need to improve on things.  But at least they aren't blatant cash-grabbers.

Both Trion and NcWest botched at least as many things as Daum, and grabbed cash at every possible opportunity at the cost of the quality of the game.
    that $30 price tag they slapped on the front is already pretty cash grabby considering it's free to play everwhere else in the world. what else but to cash in on the hype that was generated out here in the west.
    There are some pretty key differences. 

- no item in the cash shop to increase chance of enchantment- this is available everywhere else
    - no selling items directly in the marketplace from the cash shop (they recently allowed dyes to be sold but it's not really possible to p2w with them).

So we're basically paying $30 for a less p2w version of the game.  Worth the price imo.

F2p games are almost forced to go p2w.  B2p games at least have some income revenue from new box sales.
    edited July 2016
    p89989 said:
    DMKano said:

Opinions vary.

Daum Korea is good.

- no item in the cash shop to increase chance of enchantment- this is available everywhere else
    - no selling items directly in the marketplace from the cash shop (they recently allowed dyes to be sold but it's not really possible to p2w with them).

So we're basically paying $30 for a less p2w version of the game.  Worth the price imo.

F2p games are almost forced to go p2w.  B2p games at least have some income revenue from new box sales.
    not all F2P games are P2W
    it's just the fact that someone out there can get the same experience as us (for better or for worse) for free. They never have to deal with an entry fee, they could jump ship at any time and jump back in at any time.
    Sure $30 is not much and the game is well worth it, but the fact that theres a free version out there and we can't play it without jumping through hoops just doesn't sit well with me.
    Does it affect me enjoying the game personally? kinda. 
    p89989 said:
    p89989 said:
    DMKano said:

Opinions vary.

Daum Korea is good.

it's just the fact that someone out there can get the same experience as us (for better or for worse) for free. They never have to deal with an entry fee, they could jump ship at any time and jump back in at any time.
    Sure $30 is not much and the game is well worth it, but the fact that theres a free version out there and we can't play it without jumping through hoops just doesn't sit well with me.
    No, f2p are not literally FORCED to go p2w, but they usually do.  And the f2p versions of BDO are p2w, at least much more so than our version.
  • SkillgannonSkillgannon Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I still have a lot of fun in BDO, and for 30 euro's its a lot of fun hours to play.
    BDO for me is not more then that, we will see how it goes in the future.
    p89989 said:
    p89989 said:
    DMKano said:

Opinions vary.

Daum Korea is good.

No, f2p are not literally FORCED to go p2w, but they usually do.  And the f2p versions of BDO are p2w, at least much more so than our version.
    but that doesn't rule out the possibiliy of what could have been a f2p version and be not p2w. thats what localization is, catering to the people of said localized region. Despite the other versions having more p2w items, their service is better than ours, and much better staffed in my opinion.