Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful Garbage

spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54
edited June 2016 in Black Desert Online

Post edited by spafon on

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I'm just glad I avoided this one despite how everyone was raving about it when it launched. 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It is pretty, but it feels like its not all there. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I enjoyed my time in BDO, quit due to the hacking (not rampant from my point of view but still there). But I agree with OP;

"Only the gaming industry seems to be able to get away with misleading and deceptive marketing and it's high time legislation were passed to make them comply with consumer protection laws and FTC truth in advertising regulations. "
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited June 2016
    I agree that this game should have been more westernized than it is. It could have been a great game, but having played MMOs since the late 90s I know what great games are and this isn't in the same ballpark.

I haven't played it much since it got really boring. I even focused on all aspects of the game and the exuberant amount RNG and under the hood shallowness really killed it for me. Not to mention the expensive convenience items.

No wonder they sell new underwear in the Peal shop, you're gonna need it when you see the costume prices. xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Archlyte said:
    It is pretty, but it feels like its not all there. 

Sounds like some of the dates I have had!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited June 2016
    BDO is a complete mess. It's a gorgeous game world and slick, streamlined combat (poorly) conspiring to mask a hollow, totally shallow, content-barren worldscape and utterly nonexistent endgame. If you are even remotely considering Black Desert, please, for the good of your wallet, do not be deceived.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I self-boycotted this one on the basis of the asinine, 1990's era, gender locking they decided to go with.  No male ranger, no interest.

After everything I've heard since I decided not to play, I'm sure I made the right decision.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Ghavrigg said:
    I'm just glad I avoided this one despite how everyone was raving about it when it launched. 
    Its nice to be experienced in this genre because you see the same things over and over....Many gamers seem to have short memories though and make the same mistakes over and over.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    H0urg1ass said:

After everything I've heard since I decided not to play, I'm sure I made the right decision.
    As much as I liked the game in beta, I'm glad I decided to wait for the dust to settle before jumping in. At this point I'd probably buy the game given a good sale (20 bucks or so), just to play it a bit more, as I did enjoy the game itself. Yet for full price at this point, nah, too many other things to buy for cheaper. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Ghavrigg said:
    I learnt many years ago that games like this are 1)  Style over content  2)  The same basic 1990's/early 2000's game given a fresh, shiny new look year after year after year.
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    I was totally unaware, having never played an Asian sourced MMO.  Thank you for the info.  Sucks :(

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    H0urg1ass said:
    I self-boycotted this one on the basis of the asinine, 1990's era, gender locking they decided to go with.  No male ranger, no interest.

After everything I've heard since I decided not to play, I'm sure I made the right decision

But I hear the female rangers can use the male rangers' bathroom.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    "I told you so." moments are great. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

A good album!

Still playing, still having fun. Best MMORPG since GW2 to me, and I hope other games will use their node/housing/crafting system as model. The game is even better with the recent changes to PvP, which stops griefers from being able to make you waste hours of XP.
    Please, for the love of gaming no.

Also, with those changes to exp penalty, it's the PvE players that are the griefers.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    I pray that no other MMO is remotely close to BDO in design, combat, just about everything, as it would be the downfall of MMOs for sure, IMO.
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I really wanted to like this game but the pop-in was just so jarring for me that it prevented me from getting very far.  For something touted as being immersive, and having such good graphics as many have said, I was quite honestly shocked by the constant shifting of everything within ten meters of me.

Equally shocking was the number of "you get used to it" or "it's just part of the game" responses that I saw in places this issue was raised. 
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54

A good album!

Still playing, still having fun. Best MMORPG since GW2 to me, and I hope other games will use their node/housing/crafting system as model. The game is even better with the recent changes to PvP, which stops griefers from being able to make you waste hours of XP.
    I didn't realize there was such an album pr band. :)
  • ZombieCatZombieCat Member UncommonPosts: 55

A good album!

Agreed, great album! As for BDO, I tried it and it just did not grab me so I have no opinion on it.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

As much as I liked the game in beta, I'm glad I decided to wait for the dust to settle before jumping in. At this point I'd probably buy the game given a good sale (20 bucks or so), just to play it a bit more, as I did enjoy the game itself. Yet for full price at this point, nah, too many other things to buy for cheaper. 
    You do know that there's a 30 dollar version of the game, right?  That's what I got, the 30 version and a pet.  Probably going to pick up 2 more pets now that I'm 50 and could use the extra looting.

Anything less than 30 would be insane for them to sell the game.  They've even cut off potential profits by nerfing the main p2w item in the game- the gillie suit, come tomorrow.

As for the OP, that's a lot of opinions, man.  I think no fast travel is great- very immersive, it makes mounts meaningful.  No trade is great, too.  No goldsellers and I can't imagine how bad off the game's economy would be with the recent hacking problem if people could trade ill-gotten gains.  Makretplace is a silver sink- again, not a bad thing.  It stops rampant inflation.

Not sure what you think they were trying to conceal, but I for one don't feel at all tricked and after a bout a month have certainly gotten my money's worth on the game, and see myself playing it for at least many months in the future.

Now, BnS, that's another story.  I did feel pretty tricked in that game when they introduced monsterous rng boxes a few months after the game came out, dramatically shifting the game to p2w.  Couple that with devs that had almost zero response to ramapant hacking and botting and it struck me as a pure cash grab.

Daum by contrast seems like the best Dev ever.  They're addressing several long-time complaints with the patch tomorrow, including nerfing a 30 item from their shop.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Thank you for your contribution.  

We could not have done it with out you. =)
  • mentoplusmentoplus Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited June 2016
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

You do know that there's a 30 dollar version of the game, right?  That's what I got, the 30 version and a pet.  Probably going to pick up 2 more pets now that I'm 50 and could use the extra looting.

Anything less than 30 would be insane for them to sell the game.  They've even cut off potential profits by nerfing the main p2w item in the game- the gillie suit, come tomorrow.

As for the OP, that's a lot of opinions, man.  I think no fast travel is great- very immersive, it makes mounts meaningful.  No trade is great, too.  No goldsellers and I can't imagine how bad off the game's economy would be with the recent hacking problem if people could trade ill-gotten gains.  Makretplace is a silver sink- again, not a bad thing.  It stops rampant inflation.

Not sure what you think they were trying to conceal, but I for one don't feel at all tricked and after a bout a month have certainly gotten my money's worth on the game, and see myself playing it for at least many months in the future.

Now, BnS, that's another story.  I did feel pretty tricked in that game when they introduced monsterous rng boxes a few months after the game came out, dramatically shifting the game to p2w.  Couple that with devs that had almost zero response to ramapant hacking and botting and it struck me as a pure cash grab.

Daum by contrast seems like the best Dev ever.  They're addressing several long-time complaints with the patch tomorrow, including nerfing a 30 item from their shop.

wtf are you talking about, no trading and 50% ah cut is good? [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited June 2016
    mentoplus said:
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

wtf are you talking about, no trading and 50% ah cut is good? [mod edit]
    Call me crazy- I don't like goldsellers, goldserller spam, an insanely inflated econony because of not enough gold sinks, and hackers being able to screw the game infinitely by trading gains to other players.

I guess you like all those things and want them in the game?
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    @mentoplus ; Bitter much? The AH takes a 30% cut for selling your items. Name a R/L Investment company or Brokerage that doesn't get a cut....

While I miss being able to trade with individuals or even name my own prices, the current system DOES prevent (as much as possible) random inflation by wealthy individuals.

Design a better working system in the next MMO you publish, then sound off.
  • spafonspafon Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

You don't know what you're talking about.  I had to block 383 posters in chat selling gold and leveling services because the span was so bad you couldn't even have a conversation.  I'm willing to bet your are one of the entrenched beta testers.  As for Daum there are serious issues with using combos in PVP that they have yet to even acknowledge exists.  They refuse to even discuss it.  Yet the forums are full of reports that combos can't be used in combat.
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

I have to disagree on calling Daum one of the best devs ever - because - they are a publisher, not a dev and they've been pretty terrible (possibly worst in business in some areas) in several key areas that are publishers responsibility:

1. Customer Service - it's abysmal

2. Server performance - I don't know any other game that struggles SO HARD with 50 players fighting one boss - it's just inexcusable (Korea doesn't have this issue for example)

3. Exploiting and hacking issues - Daum EU just doesn't have the staff to handle this
    properly unfortunately

4. In game presence - the only GM I've ever seen is Jouska - has anyone *ever* seen another GM anywhere? In Korea there are a handful GMs in game.

5. Bad changes to NA/EU game - like energy use on processing - why does our version have this? Or increased XP rates per level in NA/EU? why? Removal of XP penalty in PvP - yeah that was Daum EU as other regions don't have this.

6. Communication - announcing Mediah update 24 hours before it happened.. seriously, that's just /cringeworthy. Major updates with only a day notice??? Also Daum does not communicate well internally to their own CMs - Jouska is not aware of many of the changes or what exactly the vague patch notes mean like " adjusted accuracy" - like how exactly? Not even their own people now - it's embarrassing 

1. Yep, it's bad.  I haven't heard much about tickets being on hold for 30 days or so like I heard in the beginning though.

2. I haven't experienced this problem at all. 

3. At least they're doing what they can.  More needs to be done surely but it's a lot more than other publishers have done when confronted with hacking/botting etc (cough cough Trion).

4. Eh, no idea.

5. Processing uses no energy come tomorrow.  Check out the patch notes.

Removal of XP is a big positive for me.  I know that's not a universally held opinion, but it proves that your opinion on the matter is not universally held either.

6. They communicate a lot.  More so than other publishers I've seen.  And better yet, they listen- tomorrow's patch fixes several long-term gripes (like your complaint about energy for processing).

Keep in mind, Kano, I said "by contrast" they seem like the best (publisher) ever.  Every publisher has problems, and usually they are far worse- usually the main problem with the publisher is they are just in it to grab as much cash as possible as quick as possible.  I don't get that impression from Daum.  Cash shop updates have been infrequent and not game-impacting.  They're nerfing tomorrow probably one of their biggest 30-dollar items.

For example, Trion.  Compared to Trion, Daum is the best publisher ever.