Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Miss Subscription MMO

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You can't go back again.  There were things I liked about games in the old days and there were things I didn't like.  Just like now.  You make the best of what's in front of you.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• nahilunahilu Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Kayo83 said:
    Im with ya bud, used to be you buy a game pay a sub and get everything in it through determination and gameplay. You played the game, had fun, and pick up loot along the way. The more you played the more badass you were ... and you earned it for the most part. Now its all about buying shit on the cash shop and looking cool... joy.

Needless to say I hardly play MMOs anymore. ESO is the only one installed in my computer and even so, I have been level 8 for months. Every now and then I get the itch and start playing. I log in and after a few unbelievably easy quests, cash shop ads, and players riding around in a badass lightning enveloped panther you can online get from the cash shop ... I lose all motivation. Not that I cant afford it, there is just no point. Gone are the days of seeing something you like and collecting, learning, and playing the game to get it. Just buy your points at the "store" and double click it in your inventory.

Its just the way gamers have rewarded the industry. You cant really unlock levels in action or adventure games anymore. Few games are left which reward the player with cool in-game items for exploring or beating some tough boss. Nope, its all "achievements" now... a freakin graphic that pops up in some profile most people never look at! FFS, even fighting games have done away with unlockable characters... just buy buy buy.
    Its cool to know I am not alone thinkin that way.

I think most players just quitted the MMO and now its a crebear and casual industry. They pump as much cash they can , they they hype for a next game and they rinse and repeat.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    What are you buying that you feel you need to compete? 3 pets, a costume,, and you should be good. Everything else comes from in-game, and if you're in a good guild you camp a world boss like Bheg on an off-channel and you can get on the loot table. You won't get it quickly, but we had 10 people killing rednose one afternoon on Val2, and 20 on Bheg another day, etc. you can get the top tier equipment. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kayo83 said:
    Im with ya bud, used to be you buy a game pay a sub and get everything in it through determination and gameplay. You played the game, had fun, and pick up loot along the way. The more you played the more badass you were ... and you earned it for the most part. Now its all about buying shit on the cash shop and looking cool... joy.

Needless to say I hardly play MMOs anymore. ESO is the only one installed in my computer and even so, I have been level 8 for months. Every now and then I get the itch and start playing. I log in and after a few unbelievably easy quests, cash shop ads, and players riding around in a badass lightning enveloped panther you can online get from the cash shop ... I lose all motivation. Not that I cant afford it, there is just no point. Gone are the days of seeing something you like and collecting, learning, and playing the game to get it. Just buy your points at the "store" and double click it in your inventory.

Its just the way gamers have rewarded the industry. You cant really unlock levels in action or adventure games anymore. Few games are left which reward the player with cool in-game items for exploring or beating some tough boss. Nope, its all "achievements" now... a freakin graphic that pops up in some profile most people never look at! FFS, even fighting games have done away with unlockable characters... just buy buy buy.
    I can understand why you feel sad but choosing to measure your success by what others are doing in a game is what is causing your misery. What difference does it make if others spend real cash? If you change your attitude you'd still be enjoying playing these games.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I miss the older modeled games too...  I wish, they would  have today's style game,  with yesteryear's complexity, sense of exploration, team work, where you shrived to be something in the game, and make lasting friends.  Today it seems your friends long as your wallet is open and your buying the best of friends due to what you get from a cash shop.  Cant wait til Pantheon.. hopefully Brad makes another difficult game..  so what if it doesn't have 7 million subs...

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    It isn't wanting to be in the top 1% -- it is wanting to participate in an activity and have all of the rewards not go to pay only.  It is a painful paywall to be "Spend $1 to get loot from this encounter or your last hour is wasted.  Have a nice day."  This was very common in games like dragon nest, etc as well.
    pantheron said:
    What are you buying that you feel you need to compete? 3 pets, a costume,, and you should be good. Everything else comes from in-game, and if you're in a good guild you camp a world boss like Bheg on an off-channel and you can get on the loot table. You won't get it quickly, but we had 10 people killing rednose one afternoon on Val2, and 20 on Bheg another day, etc. you can get the top tier equipment. 
    Elion Tears ( I am outlaw PvP level 57)

If you want to level 55 + you need Elion Tears specially if you are outlaw pvp.

I had a characther reroll so all my WT - exp Suit - ghuille suit -  and glasses to reset rank i had to buy again.

I had to buy VARIOUS SP reset because i dont follow build. I try all my skills.

The reset for Horse on my tier 7 , only buyable with Cash shop

cheyane said:
    Kayo83 said:

I can understand why you feel sad but choosing to measure your success by what others are doing in a game is what is causing your misery. What difference does it make if others spend real cash? If you change your attitude you'd still be enjoying playing these games.
    It changes Everything.

When you had  your epic in EverQuest you felt powerful and you felt really good because you knew all the effort and time you made. 

People Around you was WoW man Bard epic WTF GJ it was like a dream.

Its a MMO , it is not SOLO game, so yes looking at people around you is important.

You see someone badass , its your motivation to be like him , if it hard work i will hard work but when you realize hard work has nothing to do , it is just rl money screw this.

PGrimm said:
    I miss the older modeled games too...  I wish, they would  have today's style game,  with yesteryear's complexity, sense of exploration, team work, where you shrived to be something in the game, and make lasting friends.  Today it seems your friends long as your wallet is open and your buying the best of friends due to what you get from a cash shop.  Cant wait til Pantheon.. hopefully Brad makes another difficult game..  so what if it doesn't have 7 million subs...

Ive stoped to watch game preview and stuff. Because i create Hype then I am EXTREMELLY dissapointed.

I just hope it will be a subcrition based and not a dam cash shop casual mmo
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    nahilu said:
    If you are a HARDCORE gamer and you want to COMPETE with the best players since i spent around 40 to 60 hours a week in a MMO.

IT IS JUST A FACT

Free to play games cost more money then montly sub games if you want to compete high end game.
    Part of the problem. Back in the first MMOs we did not "compete".
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2016
    nahilu said:
    cheyane said:
    Kayo83 said:

It changes Everything.

When you had  your epic in EverQuest you felt powerful and you felt really good because you knew all the effort and time you made. 

Its a MMO , it is not SOLO game, so yes looking at people around you is important.

You see someone badass , its your motivation to be like him , if it hard work i will hard work but when you realize hard work has nothing to do , it is just rl money screw this.

That is a good goal after all people play for different motives but unfortunately those games are no longer being made because companies have found the subscription model to be too restrictive as they lose people over time and then when they finally embraced the F2P they found it was a gold mine with the cash shop. I have no idea how long this trend will last but looking at the profit margins I suspect for some time yet.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Participation rewards, everyone gets a trophy, no child left behind......
    Haroo!
    cheyane said:
    nahilu said:
    cheyane said:
    Kayo83 said:

It changes Everything.

That is a good goal after all people play for different motives but unfortunately those games are no longer being made because companies have found the subscription model to be too restrictive as they lose people over time and then when they finally embraced the F2P they found it was a gold mine with the cash shop. I have no idea how long this trend will last but looking at the profit margins I suspect for some time yet.
    It is 100% not the company fault.

If they do more money like this , they are right.

REAL PROBLEM is player who support this and accept this in video game.

WE ARE THE CUSTOMER

If we Decicde we don't want that anymore , well they have no option.

I did support this mess myself like you could see im my recent post.

Am i happy about it ?

Hell no , I was a fucking moron and i can admit it.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited June 2016
    nahilu said:
    Well Thanks I can see CLEALY that MMO are over for me. I will keep Playing Project 1999 EQ and old school HARDCORE games where I have some REAL fun. 

Thank You Casuals Players once again to kill the fun for hardcore gamers, really thank you.

You guys ruined MMO 
    You're welcome :-)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    nahilu said:

Top Tier Loot goes to top 20 DPS

Wow. Really? What an awful system. Note I have never played the game so I don't know how it works. But I don't like the sound of it. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    nahilu said:
    Well Thanks I can see CLEALY that MMO are over for me. I will keep posting shit like this so I can looked like hot stuff where I can have some REAL fun. 
    Fixed that for you. :smile:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    OP, here's some tips for you:

Steps to have some fun:

1. Get outside.
    2. Get a woman.
    3. Get laid.
    4. Get married.
    5. Get some babies.
    6. Repeat from step 1.

And please, don't thank me, you're welcome.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • EnyovEnyov Member UncommonPosts: 8

Steps to have some fun:

1. Get outside.
    2. Get a woman.
    3. Get laid.
    4. Get married.
    5. Get some babies.
    6. Repeat from step 1.

Repeating all of those may cause some issues.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Moirae said:
    I do too. I should have access to the entire game if I pay a monthly sub. 
    Too late.

You can't put the genie back in the magic lamp...
    Only too late if you play the wrong MMO's.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    E-rep nostalgia... he craves...
  • FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Steps to have some fun:

1. Get outside.
    2. Get a woman.
    3. Get laid.
    4. Get married.
    5. Get some babies.
    6. Repeat from step 1.

Hey! Some of us DID do that. And yes it's fun BUT I *guarantee* you will NOT have enough time or energy left over to play ANYTHING in the gaming world that is "top tier" and certainly not anything like raiding. 6 year olds do not care if you just spent 4 hours getting your big bad guild group ready for Uber Raid Of The Century...they want papa's attention, NOW.

To the OP: Um, nevermind. Just do what @xyzercrime said! Yeah, do that!
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited June 2016
    Moirae said:
    I do too. I should have access to the entire game if I pay a monthly sub. 
    Access to a point unless is locked by a grind or a rank or 20 other people to have a group. Even if people payed there $15 no time for mass group content that can cost them more hours out there real life to do. When the content is only made for the small % player base. Then Only limited Access for a high % people that pay there $15.

Don't get me wrong they are good sub model out they do give a lot of access to the game with $15. Not the entire game with out giving up more time out of real life.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    nahilu said:
    gervaise1 said:
    f2p / b2p / subscription - or some combination of the three are simply business models. 

There are - for example - sub based games with boss mobs that can one shot people because they are designed for groups. So sweeping generalisations don't entirely work.

However - using broad brush strokes:

Subscription based games tend to have a lot of grind; the aim is to slow you down. Lots of walking between quests. Lots of A telling you to go to B who then tells you to go back to A. Lots of gear grind - legendary items in DAoC, more recently LotR and soon WoW. Lots of waiting between spawns, Daily quests to get rep and so forth. I do not miss the grind at all.

b2p game are interested in "wow". They want to thrill you once; give you an experience so that you will look kindly on the publishers next offering and buy that. They are not about "longevity" however. Repetitive daily quests and so forth are not the order of the day. So the complaint leveled against them is "not enough content" even though everyone is enjoying the content released a lot.

And so to f2p. First thing to say: conversions of failed sub games don't count; they were sub based games that failed.  Games designed as f2p that do it well will "entice" "many people" to pay "a little" - check out LoL. Yes there are the few but many pay a little. Bad designs don't target the many and so they rely very, vry heavily in the few. Which makes things worse. You are talking about "the few". 

And my own preference is for b2p which, imo, strikes a balance.

b2p = Buy to Play ?

What is BDO ?

I bough the game 50$ 

Then i need spend 150 200$ per month to KEEP compete with people around me.

It is a f2p game. 

That is how it was designed - and released in Korea, Japan and Russia in 2014. The fact that you had to spend $50 doesn't alter that. Think of it as an upfront cash shop purchase.

You can question why for sure. My guess would be expected lower "sales" in western markets + a higher resistance to spending money in the cash shop. But maybe it was simply because they decided they could. Same reason Blizzard has only released 1 content patch (not paid expansion) since 5.4 (so getting on for 3 years, makes it an expensive patch for some) because they decided they could. 

WoW has a box price as well - doesn't make it b2p; and it has a cash shop as well - but its not f2p. And ESO has no sub - now - but (imo) there are elements of the game that hark back to it being designed as a sub game.   

A game is designed around a "business model". Changing the business model later doesn't change how the game was designed. It can be tweaked but the fundamental design will still be there.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited June 2016
    OP, I agree with most of your points, but again this is your own fault. You bought Black Desert and casted your vote as well as supported that game design. If anyone needs waking up is you and players like you who keep paying for those type of designs and then complain about it.

I always wait few months prior to release, especially on new products before I'm 100% in what I'm putting my $ into. Especially in todays world you have more information out there to make conclusion than ever about a certain product.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    You and me both, the cash shop has been the single worst thing to happen to gaming.  Thanks Eastern developers for the cancer that is Free 2 Play.  Its the gift that keeps on giving in new and fantastically horrible ways.