Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD offers a few more details on Polaris

2»

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    GladDog said:
    I'm still going to buy a 480X when they release.  Looks like a top notch card for a very reasonable price, and the drivers eventually catch up.  If you are having problems with a certain game, use the beta drivers.  AMD is well aware when a game is being problematic.  So is Nvidia.  It seems like AMD fixes those problems quicker, but both companies always get these things fixed eventually. 

If you take individual games, you can always find a 'winner', but overall it seems like both companies make generally great drivers for their cards - eventually.  But quite honestly, if your favorite game runs well at max settings at 1080p,  why do we complain about misplaced pixels and occlusion?  Those things will get fixed...

Crappy drivers have been a problem for as long as we have had 3D cards, starting with the Monster 3D in the 90s.  As long as game developers keep pushing the envelope, there will be problems.  The driver problem is one of the things that DX12 is supposed to fix once and for all, but I'll believe it when I see it.

& oh, yeah, I will be getting the 8GB version of the 480X as long as it is below $300.
    They had severe problem with Radeon crimson driver. It was overheating device to the point where some people had their device fried. Of course they should have immediately reverted driver to previous as soon as they saw their device was overheating but still it was a mess. Took about a month for AMD/ATI to fix the mess.
    i updated to crimson the day they released with my 2 x 290x and never once had the overheating issue.. it was isolated and still not as bad as the latest nvidia drivers bricking 980tis
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    LOL @ bricking 980ti's. That's cute.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

edited June 2016
    Hrimnir said:
    LOL @ bricking 980ti's. That's cute.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4e4gtq/psa_the_latest_nvidia_driver_364_is_bricking_gpus/

not cute at all, serious problem.

With the latest 364* drivers for Nvidia; people have been coming across issues. Some include people's screens turning into a solid color, blue screening, blacking out, and rumor-has-it bricking GPUs. Now the odds of this happening to your PC is slim, however still exists. I actually got really lucky. I had 364.54 and was having these issues, so I updated my driver and I'm in the clear. However this won't be the case with everyone DOWNLOAD WITH CAUTION.

Edit: This means that all 364.** (common ones are 364.54 and 364.72 )drivers are unstable and can damage your pc. I also looked online and rollbacks aren't working properly either. If you already have 364.** you are stuck with it and can't safely remove it. With that said clearly for Nvidia to release these drivers they had to have been stable enough and these issues are definitely the minority. It is just a fair warning for people who don't want to brick their 980 tis, like me.

Edit 2: It seems like GPUs are getting bricked RIGHT AFTER driver installation. So if you got past that mark you should be okay. And by okay I mean your GPU not being fried to a crisp.

Edit 3: Just talked to a friend of mine that does custom rigs and his client's GPU actually got bricked from updating. He said that he downloaded the driver, after a minute it crashed, he restarted the pc and nothing happened. He switched the HDMI cable to the MOBO's port and went into bios and the GPU is not even identified there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4crp3j/warning_avoid_36472_march_28_like_the_plague_its/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1596367/364-72-bricked-one-of-my-980tis

The basic gist is as usual you had a bunch of idiots who misinterpreted driver issues as "bricking" their cards.  While yes, this was an unacceptable situation with a driver, even a beta, the end user did choose to install beta drivers, and then when they had issues they assumed the worst case scenario.

There hasn't been a single recorded incident of a card actually being permanently damaged as a result of this.  Once people reverted back to stable drivers their issues were resolved.

Sean Pelletier – Nvidia
    An installation issue was found within the 364.47 WHQL driver we posted Monday. That issue was resolved with a new driver (364.51) launched Tuesday. Since we were not able to get WHQL-certification right away, we posted the driver as a Beta.

GeForce Experience has an option to either show WHQL-only drivers or to show all drivers (including Beta). Since 364.51 is currently a Beta, gamers who have GeForce Experience configured to only show WHQL Game Ready drivers will not currently see 364.51

We are expecting the WHQL-certified package for the 364.51 Game Ready driver within the next 24hrs and will replace the Beta version with the WHQL version accordingly. As expected, the WHQL-certified version of 364.51 will show up for all gamers with GeForce Experience.

Editorial note : it seems the fears of “PC damage” from user reports are stemming mainly from software installation failure and some reports of potential cases of corrupted driver installations which led to system restart loops and other issues. However, it is highly unlikely that any actual hardware component harm has resulted from this. Users also reported reversibility after removing the corrupted driver installation in safe mode which is a good sign that no hardware damage has taken effect.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-users-beware-latest-drivers-damage-pc/#ixzz4BnJbLq6a

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

edited June 2016
    of course, because Nvidia isn't going to jump on the PR bandwagon and deny fault.

people actually had unusable cards after the issue, so it doesn't matter what Nvidia says if peoples cards were actually unusable.

There are multiple independent resources who have confirmed there have been no cases of permanent failures from those drivers, whether you want to believe those or not is up to you.

- Friedrich Nietzsche