Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft announces the next Xbox, Project Scorpio

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hoping for no heat problems when cutting corners.  Hoping for no slow downs with increased user monitoring software.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Hoping for no heat problems when cutting corners.  Hoping for no slow downs with increased user monitoring software.
    Don't worry I'm sure the world of doom and gloom with be fully populated for you and others to rail on through the whole development cycle and after launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    That's, like, super friggin' quick, right??  The paint's hardly dried on the Xbone.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, an 8 core CPU sounds great, but what is the clock speed, i mean if its only 1.6ghz then thats a bit fail, i would expect it to have 8 cores with at least 3.0ghz for it to be even remotely competitive as a games machine, more information about the GPU needed, particularly what kind of memory it will be using, somehow i doubt it will be hbm2, but will it be at least GDDR5X? and hopefully more than just 2gb of it, if its still using DDR3 it would be an utter fail, although you could get away with using DDR3 as system memory, although for modern systems these days, it really should be DDR4 for system ram, sure hope they aren't going to create a system that uses DDR4 and nothing else though, i am sure they won't make mistakes like that again, be kind of hillarious if they did though :p
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    microsoft..kings of the money grab..
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Most powerful console ever, that's like being the fastest potato in the special Olympics. Consoles are always two steps behind PC the day after they get released. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    donger56 said:
    Most powerful console ever, that's like being the fastest potato in the special Olympics. Consoles are always two steps behind PC the day after they get released. 
    true HOWEVER, to be fair this 'quick iteration between upgrades' for consoles I think is a good thing for PC gaming because no longer are we playing games on DX9 (for example) when games can run on DX11 (as an example) alll because the game has to work on hardware that is 100 years old (as an example).

I am all for quick iterations on new console hardware

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    my computer already 8 core at  3.5 ghz
    since 3 years ago... im not impresed

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Yet when a console game comes to PC it requires a mighty beefy computer to run it. ;)
    Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed Syndicate system requirements.
    Consoles are optimized to the bone to get everything developers can out of them. Not many PC games can say that. 
    exactly! and nobody ever says 'hmmmm why is this?' spec on side A spec on side B. why?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Yet when a console game comes to PC it requires a mighty beefy computer to run it. ;)
    Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed Syndicate system requirements.
    Consoles are optimized to the bone to get everything developers can out of them. Not many PC games can say that. 
    exactly! and nobody ever says 'hmmmm why is this?' spec on side A spec on side B. why?
    Because when a developer designs a game for a console they know they only have to think about that one unified platform. The entire user base for that coded title has the same machine with the same specs.
    With a computer game the developer has to think about all the different hardware challenges and differences each user will have. So as a developer you pick a middle ground and build from there. Drivers, GPUs, Ram configs, CPU speed. It is all different. Much more of a challenge and why we rarely see computer games that properly take advantage of all the PC is able to do because no two computers are the same.

Same Spec(x2) I could see but same spec (x10 or so) hmmmm.

the father apart it is does that make it more wide?

aka a phone app that can run on a Note 5 requires a PC super computer to just boot up? no....

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Release is in a year and a half. A year after Zen and Polaris. Totally capable of getting the performance in the $500 range.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    So the Xbox Scorpio is going to release a little over four years after the Xbox One?  That doesn't strike me as an unduly short period of time.  I'm not sure if they'll try to squeeze in Zen cores or go for a shrink of the cores in the current Xbox One.  Either way, it sure sounds like it will put out more heat than most consoles traditionally have.

From the time frame, it's all but guaranteed to be on 14 nm.  Yields on Global Foundries 14 nm should be quite good a year and a half from now, which is something you need for consoles with only one bin than for chips where you can sell a bunch of salvage parts.

320 GB/s sure sounds like 256-bit GDDR5X to me.  If it had two stacks of HBM2, that should get you 512 MB/s.  From the time frame, HBM2 should be available, but Microsoft may have decided it was just too expensive.
  • Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Scorpio... sounds deliberately pandering to posers.

They really need to get a new marketing team. They should have just called it Extreme Mountain Dew: Code Red or something.

-Chuckles
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Microsoft announcing their new console with great fanfare, 1 year before it will actually be available !

Guess they have to make as much noise as possible to distract people from the PS4-NEO which is launching in October (4 months from now)... :D 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Microsoft announcing their new console with great fanfare, 1 year before it will actually be available !

Guess they have to make as much noise as possible to distract people from the PS4-NEO which is launching in October (4 months from now)... :D 
    More like 1.5 years even.  I don't see why they would do this at all, tbh.  It's like they are so desperate to get the spotlight back on themselves that they are shooting themselves in the foot.  All this will do is kill their XB1 sales, honestly, whether the systems are back-compatible or not.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Quizzical said:
    So the Xbox Scorpio is going to release a little over four years after the Xbox One?  That doesn't strike me as an unduly short period of time.  I'm not sure if they'll try to squeeze in Zen cores or go for a shrink of the cores in the current Xbox One.  Either way, it sure sounds like it will put out more heat than most consoles traditionally have.

From the time frame, it's all but guaranteed to be on 14 nm.  Yields on Global Foundries 14 nm should be quite good a year and a half from now, which is something you need for consoles with only one bin than for chips where you can sell a bunch of salvage parts.

320 GB/s sure sounds like 256-bit GDDR5X to me.  If it had two stacks of HBM2, that should get you 512 MB/s.  From the time frame, HBM2 should be available, but Microsoft may have decided it was just too expensive.
    The decision to start the faster iterations happened 4 years later, but I believe they mentioned 1.5 years or so from here on out. I can't remember the exact number, but it was at most 2 years.
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Since AMD announced some huge deal for consoles I guess the xbox will use their stuff.

With 6 tflops I guess we can expect either something like a down sized Vega or oc'd 480. My guess would be the 480 version. It's cheaper and can easily reach that area.

For the CPU I hope they go with Zen-like because otherwise there might be a huge cooling system involved, AMD CPUs aren't known for their heat efficiency.

More or less I expect a system that can run all games on max at 1080p@60+fps and quite a few at 4k@30+fps. Doesn't sound that bad for a console. Especially if you take into account that console games are optimized for one system and devs don't have to care about different setups which adds some frames.