Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Tamriel

SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
Just announced on #BE3 due this fall.

Players will scale to all zones so anyone can play with anyone else anywhere. Firor also mentioned factions so this could mean players can go play in any faction zone anytime they want. Who knows if each faction will get their own zone or if everyone would be together. Cyrodil will most likely remain the as is but with Arenas and Battlegrounds coming I can see them redesigning the zone into a PvE zone ( Molag Baal story is over and reasons to fight over already )

My guess this is being done for future content being made easier to introduce outside of major DLC ( probably them too ).

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Just an update.

Factions will not be a barrier now from the sounds of it. Total freedom to the player.

PLUS more ESO content coming later on during E3.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2016
    Stizzled said:
    Wow, only took them 2 years to finally realize that splitting the races into factions just to fit their RvR was a dumb idea.
    Eh, it harkened back to the DAoC days and was probably meant as a way to keep the game interesting after hitting max level by providing significantly different experiences for alts of different factions as well as bolstering faction pride as a way to make RvR more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, Firor and company half-assed it and shot themselves in the foot by allowing cross-faction guilding and directing players to the other faction areas to grind Champion levels.  Instead of instilling any kind of realm pride to encourage the Cyrodiil battle or enticing players to roll an alt for a completely different questing experience, they just left players wondering why the hell there were even factions in the first place.

RvR is, quite frankly, better in the framework of the more intimate experience that traditional servers provide, as well.  Megaservers take all the personality out of the RvR.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    So gear and stats will be meaningless then?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Stizzled said:
    Wow, only took them 2 years to finally realize that splitting the races into factions just to fit their RvR was a dumb idea.

Unfortunately, Firor and company half-assed it and shot themselves in the foot by allowing cross-faction guilding and directing players to the other faction areas to grind Champion levels.
    It was originally not like that, that bit was tacked on. In an attempt to quell the outrage over not being able to visit other lands on one character. (IE what we get when devs listen to players)

I do also wonder why people would be clueless to why there are factions, if they paid attention to the story? That's all the story was about more or less.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Distopia said:
    Stizzled said:

Unfortunately, Firor and company half-assed it and shot themselves in the foot by allowing cross-faction guilding and directing players to the other faction areas to grind Champion levels.
    It was originally not like that, that bit was tacked on. In an attempt to quell the outrage over not being able to visit other lands on one character. (IE what we get when devs listen to players)

I do also wonder why people would be clueless to why there are factions, if they paid attention to the story? That's all the story was about more or less.
    Well, though ESO did a better job of delivering the story than most MMORPGs (at the cost of getting to experience that story with anyone else at release), MMORPGs have never been heralded for their ability to convey a story in a way that's captivating enough to ensure the large majority pay attention.

This video sums it up fairly succinctly. 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I still would just like a basic Auction house. I am probably in the minority about that but I like an AH.
    I really doubt you're in the minority wanting an AH. That's one of the reasons keeping me from playing the game.
  • Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited June 2016
    Wow, this is great news!

The linear questing in this game was my biggest complaint. 

Next I would like dynamic events added to the open world.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:
    Firor designed the game on what was familiar to him - 3 factions like DAoC.

What he failed to understand is that doesn't translate well to Elder Scrolls at all

The 3 factions design was a failed feature from the start, I am glad they are finally doing away with it, it never belonged in Elder Scrolls 
    All that the three factions are, are alliances, to believe that doesn't fit or translate into any story is a bit silly to me. TES lore is very fluid, I don't see how alliances are such a hard to swallow pill, even the bit about Argonians, many seemed to take issue with. As they were oppressed, there are plenty of real world cases of oppressed people being forced into conflict on the side of their subjugator. Look at Roman History as one example. Most fantasy takes queues from the real world especially in areas of warfare, intrigue, etc...

Sorry I simply disagree...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    At last!

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    @OP Hiya, I saw a post you made about ESO where you mentioned Battlegrounds and Arena coming.  Do you have a link for this info?  I Love, LOVE, LOOOOOVE ESO's combat and classes but I'm a PvPer and I've been waiting to play until they add more PvP options (Cyrodil isn't for me).  I saw a random mention of maybe adding structured pvp but nothing firm.  Has there been an actual update on this?  Thanks!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    7M sold. 

Matt Frior: First and foremost, I announced that we have had "seven million players since launch." I know that many of you will have questions as to how we arrived at that number. Here's the breakdown: since we commercially launched at the end of March 2014, we have had seven million people acquire the game, create accounts and play. Please note that this number does NOT include beta players (who played the game before we launched) and it also does not include players from our free trial (Xbox-only, in December of 2015). It all boils down to one thing: a LOT of people have purchased and played the game during the last two years, and we are grateful for each and every one
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:
    Firor designed the game on what was familiar to him - 3 factions like DAoC.

What he failed to understand is that doesn't translate well to Elder Scrolls at all

The 3 factions design was a failed feature from the start, I am glad they are finally doing away with it, it never belonged in Elder Scrolls 
    Agreed.

The spectre of DAoC haunted ESO for far too long, finally it's been laid to rest. It's been glaringly obvious that RvR was NOT what ESO players were spending their play time on.

Lets be honest here, if DAoC was the greatest game ever made, it would not have shone briefly and then dwindled into obscurity.

ESO is built on a massive IP, and by finally acknowledging its wide player base, I've no doubt that ZOS will be happily watching that 7M player number climb steadily...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Once again lore is kicked in the teeth to give players the illusion of freedom. Lore aside, by giving factions a limited set of races you give the factions character and theme. Even if you are not a roleplayer and the theme is purely graphical.

Scaling to group level works, like in CoH. Lone players scaling to zone causes loads of issues. I could somewhat understand if this was just for players who already had a top level character, but straight out of the box?

This is a product of the one size fits all way of making MMO's, ESO said they did not want that in their game. Making MMOs easymode and dumbed down does not make for a better game.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    If this changes the 3-faction pvp setup, I hope it paves the way for pvp arenas.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I did not like using all the add ons for this game to search for things in 5 different small trading houses and so on. Very clunky way to sell.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited June 2016

The "freedom" part is a two edged sword imo; an argument can be made either way. The issue as always: people who want to make "one character" how do you let them try it all. Version 1 was having players "ghost walk" through the other factions. Version 2 was adding the ability to transfer CS points - providing an incentive to make other characters. They don't seem to have given this a chance to play out. So now we have version 3 total "freedom". From a sales / marketing perspective this is probably the one with the most legs I suppose.

Scaling. As Scot says: It certainly did work in CoH but "straight out of the box?" This could actually make it harder at the start.   
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Bit late because most have already made characters in each faction and played the content. What's the point in playing the same quest over again just because you have a different race.

To little to late, only way it would be interesting is if the open up new PVE areas in each faction that span the  whole level range so practically double the size of each faction area and that's not going to happen.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited June 2016
    The only thing I have ever really wanted in ESO is a place to practice pvp: duels, arena , bgs, whatever.

In terms of pve- which is what One Tam is about- I wonder if this will really be such a good idea? Perhaps the best part about pve in ESO- what sets it apart from other mmos- is its deep storylines. Now we will be able to simultaneously be heroes in all three factions- even though they are fighting against each other. That was one of the main issues I had with the vet rank set-up in the first place: the fact that we heroes of our realm now had to go serve as twats for the enemy and fight mud crabs stronger than Molag Bal.
    Post edited by YashaX on
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Set it apart from other mmos, ermm Lotro has a deeper story line than ESO.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    I hope they redesign classes too or add more skills .  Yeah there is a so so not little but not that many either....
    plus most of them are terrible ugly ......all of the specs have like 1 decent skill rest are either weak or has shity mechanics behind it .
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    YashaX said:
    The only thing I have ever really wanted in ESO is a place to practice pvp: duels, arena , bgs, whatever.

In terms of pve- which is what One Tam is about- I wonder if this will really be such a good idea? Perhaps the best part about pve in ESO- what sets it apart from other mmos- is its deep storylines. Now we will be able to simultaneously be heroes in all three factions- even though they are fighting against each other. That was one of the main issues I had with the vet rank set-up in the first place: the fact that we heroes of our realm now had to go serve as twats for the e
    Imperial conquered Cyrodil and proclaimed them self rulers of tamriel .
    each Zone is governed by their leaders that take orders from Cyrodil . Peace to all ....
    Turn Cyrodil into a Quest zone in rebuilding it after  this destructive war.
    Add PVP Matches Battle Grounds hmm
    I like it

Problem with Cyrodil was it was lagy it was unbalanced zerg fest with exploits and use of unbalanced classes  I hope this shit will go away ....
    Bit late because most have already made characters in each faction and played the content. What's the point in playing the same quest over again just because you have a different race.

To little to late, only way it would be interesting is if the open up new PVE areas in each faction that span the  whole level range so practically double the size of each faction area and that's not going to happen.
    Not at all from Zenimax's perspective.

For people who bought the game in the first year - yep. For people who bought the game in the last year maybe but maybe not.

This is aimed at people who haven't yet bought ESO. Skyrim sales estimates are as high as 27M with a re-launch on the way. That is a lot of potential new sales. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Set it apart from other mmos, ermm Lotro has a deeper story line than ESO.

have you played through ESO's story to make that determination? 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i wonder what the fallout will mean for the fans of Camelot unchained?