Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More active steam players atm than TERA, NWO or ESO <3

Comments

• PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 10,371
    So, 3000 people are playing Wildstar, the game is saved! Huzzah :p
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited June 2016
    treyu86 said:
    josko9 said:
    Nobody plays ESO through Steam..
    Did you read and understand the post? It was just comparing steam data, no asumption as general wealth of each game (steam and non steam) was made.  But in the case of wildstar, steam data is very relevant
    Wildstar data is perhaps revelant because the game was never that much popular to begin with. Also it's retention rate is pretty bad.

I still fail to see what any of this has to do with ESO? Yes ESO launched on Steam just as Wildstar many months after the initial launch. However ESO didn't launch there because it was dying, losing players or whatever. They launched it there just because lately Bethesda is launching all of it's games there, and there were some vocal complainers how they want ESO on Steam. Sadly MMOs just don't work on Steam, Steam's launcher is horrible for any game that requires constant patching. Which explains why a very very low percentage of players ever bothered to buy ESO through Steam.
  • PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 10,371
    josko9 said:
    treyu86 said:
    josko9 said:
    Nobody plays ESO through Steam..
    Did you read and understand the post? It was just comparing steam data, no asumption as general wealth of each game (steam and non steam) was made.  But in the case of wildstar, steam data is very relevant
    Wildstar data is perhaps revelant because the game was never that much popular to begin with. Also it's retention rate is pretty bad.

I still fail to see what any of this has to do with ESO? Yes ESO launched on Steam just as Wildstar many months after the initial launch. However ESO didn't launch there because it was dying, losing players or whatever. They launched it there just because lately Bethesda is launching all of it's games there, and there were some vocal complainers how they want ESO on Steam. Sadly MMOs just don't work on Steam, Steam's launcher is horrible for any game that requires constant patching. Which explains why a very very low percentage of players ever bothered to buy ESO through Steam.
    While i don't disagree that ESO is a bad comparison on Steam, i do disagree with your reasoning as to why that is, particularly as Steam handles patching very well, if you have it enabled that is, though in ESO's case, i doubt it would be enabled as it has a seperate launcher that does the actual patching, and that i think is why people tend to use the launcher directly, rather than through Steam, whether or not this also registers a player on Steam as playing the game, i am not sure, it might not, but either way the Steam client is only for the PC playerbase of ESO, and that in itself is split between the PC, XB1 and the PS4. There is also the fact that a great many ESO accounts were created well before the game appeared on Steam, so are obviously also not counted.
    Wildstars hopes may be on its success on Steam, but that was not the case with ESO, as Zenimax opted for the multiplatform release for its success.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 5,736
    Streaming trying to chase what's new for extra views? Odd idea....wont last long.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but...I'm gonna rain on your parade.

ESO is a b2p title so that's not a fair comparison.
    Tera on Steam is North American version only and the game runs in 5-6 regions aside from America (it's region blocked outside of the US on steam)

They also peaked a lot higher at launch.

I hope wildstar does well enough to sustain itself, I hate to see any mmorpg close these days.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,327
    DMKano said:
    treyu86 said:

That is why I clearly said "start". And on the other hand, your statement does not have to be true always. You can update a game and do marketing and have good reviews so more people can try your game, more if the game is not well known yet or has improved a lot in the last years so people have to try it to prove it. In this scenario, population can increase little by little and maybe get to a constant 4-5k steam players as a start point to work in new expansions etc to attract more. Or it can only go down if the game really is that bad and end up closing. No one knows what will happen yet

I am yet to see any MMORPG that has increasing playerbase on steam over time.

Note I said MMORPG - which is what Wildstar is.

Every MMORPG on steam follows the same trend - they start out strong - peak and then decline to never recover to peak again.

So what you are saying - slow growth over time has never been done by ANY mmorpg on steam.

I honestly don't see Wildstar being the first mmorpg to grow playerbase on steam overtime. 
    Knight Online is the only one I know of that has done that.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,676
    edited June 2016
    I just re-downloaded the game on steam and i have to say im happy to find out that they added an option to attach the aim(reticle) to the mouse like an action game and just hold down left click to spam the basic attack builder.

The combat was the worst part of this game. Now i can play either with xpadder(for gamepad support) or just like any normal action combat mmo, without having to worry about the horrible controls it had at launch.

Good Job Carbine. I can see myself playing on steam for some time now that it has proper aiming.

• Eadan1Eadan1 Member UncommonPosts: 344
    So what is in this game that isn't f2p?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    DMKano said:
    Look at the all time peak though.... that's a lot more telling than current players.

Also one thing where Steam stats fails for games that have their own 3rd party launchers - it's easy to just use the launcher and bypass steam entirely.

I was going to point that out.
    All time peak it's probably the launch week of every game, and 3K for a launch is not that impressive at all.
    But I don't want to spoil the OP enthusiasm.
    I hope it gets better, NCSoft is running out of patience, me think.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,261
    Hope it stops the nose dive, for those who play.  Remember though, wait until the new car smell comes off (for the new steam people) and see what the status is.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,862
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    Meanwhile Tree of Savior has more than all 4 combined.

Meanwhile DOTA2 peaked at almost 1million users today ;)

(shameless plug - yes I play DOTA2)
    Tree of Savior is actually an MMO though, at least make your plug fit.
    His plug does fit actually. We are talking about games on steam, right?
    the last super bowl got millions or peoples last times... that a games right ?
    huh?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Athisar said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Athisar said:
    It's having very good Steam figures for a game released two years ago, but of course people will hate anyway.
    The same thing happened with Archeage. It re-launched on Steam quite some time after its initial release. The first month Steam numbers were surprisingly high, then in the following 3 months it progressively dropped to a fraction of its first month numbers.
    Comparing Wildstar to ArcheAge is like the worst thing that's ever been said about it ;)
    Doubtful, Wildstar is a turd of a game in its own right. For completely different reasons than AA but it doesn't change the fact that they will share the same fate. Steam is a Hail Mary attempt to try and breathe a few more months into an MMO before it goes belly up. And it will go belly up. ESO and Never Winter both god awful so that comparison is pointless. Tera was one of the better games in my opinion but its what? 6 years old? These days MMO's lifespans are lucky to reach the 5 year point... So basically you are beating a dead dog with the Wildstar stick and claiming that the Wildstar stick is stronger than the dead dog. Good job.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 5,600
    Phry said:
     Steam client is only for the PC playerbase of ESO, 
    Not even that. The ESO Steam client is for those people who bought ESO via Steam. People who bought the (PC) game retail or from via Zenimax go through Zenimax. 
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,561
    DMKano said:
    treyu86 said:

That is why I clearly said "start". And on the other hand, your statement does not have to be true always. You can update a game and do marketing and have good reviews so more people can try your game, more if the game is not well known yet or has improved a lot in the last years so people have to try it to prove it. In this scenario, population can increase little by little and maybe get to a constant 4-5k steam players as a start point to work in new expansions etc to attract more. Or it can only go down if the game really is that bad and end up closing. No one knows what will happen yet

Every MMORPG on steam follows the same trend - they start out strong - peak and then decline to never recover to peak again.

So what you are saying - slow growth over time has never been done by ANY mmorpg on steam.

I honestly don't see Wildstar being the first mmorpg to grow playerbase on steam overtime. 
    Nice. I would not expect this from KO. The game used to be great in spite of its P2W nature. Just ask any person from Turkey :).
  • TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    It just came out on Steam, of course people are playing...

Check back in two weeks and let us know how those numbers are doing.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited June 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Hope it stops the nose dive, for those who play.  Remember though, wait until the new car smell comes off (for the new steam people) and see what the status is.
    Yep - Your first leveling experience through WS is probably the most entertaining part of the game...it's once you get to endgame that you realize its meh status.  It also seems that a contingent of diehards is purposefully moving over to the Steam client and writing glowing reviews of the game to get it more noticed (which is really smart of them) - so a portion of those Steam players were people already playing not new blood (to be expected.)
  • NightHaveNNightHaveN Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    The amount of people playing is not the only important thing, or the most important... Is the revenue.

How many of those players are either buying the signature status (subscription), or buying store items.  If they are just for the free ride, they are doing the same or worst harm than not being there.

Well maybe not, if that increases the meatbags for dungeons & battlegrounds.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 474
    no matter what is being said from anyone that post here it is still a good sign for the game. the game was all but dead....

if NCsoft can find it in their cold corporate hearts to keep the game alive then I am happy with that 

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,603
    edited June 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    The peak number needs to go higher; 3k for a f2p title.

The TESO number is meaningless - a legacy from the time when ESO sold the PC version through Steam prior to going b2p / launching on console. Most people play via Zenimax - as evidenced by Zenimax re-iterating "millions". Even that looks better than WS atm though as it is a stable number.

Ditto Neverwinter. And Trra looks much better.

Wonder what the deal with Steam is. Have NCSoft "guaranteed" not to close WS for - maybe - "at least a year". You would hope so for the sale of the players.

Hopefully it will gain some traction.
    Man, this is me. I bought ESO off Steam on a whim and not expecting to get so into it. I figured I would play for a few months and be done.

I hate being locked into Steam. I wish I could buy my way out from under Steam without having to ditch the old account and make a new one. I would pay to do it.

I'm happy for Wildstar and I hope they do well. If I reinstall the game it won't be through Steam though. I hate playing mmos through it, except for LotRO.
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Tera looks better huh....bunch of loli pedophiles in my opinion. Tera has good gameplay if you can get past the blatent feminism it's become. This isn't a thread about Tera though, or people agenda to bash one game over another.
    Wildstar is a good game that will give you more than your money's worth of entertainment. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,676
    edited June 2016
    LIOKI said:
    Tera ... bunch of loli pedophiles in my opinion.  
    ignorance at its best. Accusing the general public of something based on your own close minded opinion...

And no, i don't play Tera, and Elins are the worst looking race in Tera IMO, but i don't go out wrongly generalizing to make other people think i walk the right path.

But this is old news, carry on.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 365
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    treyu86 said:

Nice. I would not expect this from KO. The game used to be great in spite of its P2W nature. Just ask any person from Turkey :).
    One of the best pvp mmos I've ever played. And yes I'm from Turkey... ^^
    Unfortunately NTT ruined it with their endless greed.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,561
    Nepheth said:
    DMKano said:
    treyu86 said:

One of the best pvp mmos I've ever played. And yes I'm from Turkey... ^^
    I once read a comment / post somewhere that the game completely ruined one generation of Turks :).

I remember the language barrier being quite an issue as majority of the players was not able to speak english. I learned a little bit of Turkish there. Now I sometimes pretend to be a Turk in CSGO when there are Turks in my team :).

I used to play KO for several years when it released. It used to be pretty hardcore (brutal grind, one shot by pretty much any mob as a mage,...).
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I really don't get some of the comments in here.

What's the problem with a game doing better than it did say last week?

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 396
    LIOKI said:
    Tera ... bunch of loli pedophiles in my opinion.  
    ignorance at its best. Accusing the general public of something based on your own close minded opinion...

And no, i don't play Tera, and Elins are the worst looking race in Tera IMO, but i don't go out wrongly generalizing to make other people think i walk the right path.

But this is old news, carry on.
    Well, this is curious. Tera's newest content IS based on lolicon hentai, there are even tentacles ,its like a mature movie.Kids can look, but dont see.They made it so with a purpose.

Also untill recently i played Tera, large part of community thinks the other elin(loli) part are all pervs.
    Many admit it, and those who dont, are prolly girl players which just like elins.

So yes, Tera community is weird.But the game engine, combat and open world are nice.

0 New content tho.Dungeon rince repeat.