It's odd that no words about it so far, besides the short @Rawiz
post about FC is adding p2w... you'd think at least bar-brawler Elsa would jump on the opportunity of throwing some punches at Funcom, rightfully so this time...
Rightfully, because as much as I like FC, one can't really find positive parts in the latest change, not even with the thickest rose-coloured glasses.
At best (IF
the membership changes will be awesome) it will be "just" a usual PR fiasco - since they should've release it alongside the raid finder and the new membership benefits. They could've save themselves the damage control and the heavy crossfire they're in now...
So, what's this all about, in case you've missed it? 4.10 went live 2 days ago, and resulted more comments in hours, than the entire forum used to have in days http://www.ageofconan.com/news/the_new_item_store_open_for_business
Membership update is still in the works, but they just had
to (for some reason) quickly and prematurely release the cash shop for it - and as stated above, it's quite bad... In short:
- new layout (the least bad change, but still). It's fugly, it's clunky, it's slow.
- lots of items were removed. Most of them were quite popular, like cosmetics, or the option for account-wide unlocks.
- remaining items got a price increase. Seriously. An 8 years old game, raising its prices. Probably it's hard to manufacture those pixels
or maybe the logistics of storing and moving those items around in big trucks... oh wait it's digital
So, bigger items got a 10-20% increase (like the expansions, yup, want that 6 years old expansion? pay more than it was last week), smaller stuff went up even 3 or 4 times (like TP, from 16 to 60)
- added power items. I think Rawiz referred to this as p2w, mid-range raid gear is now in the new store. True, lower-tiered raids weren't lively anyways, but surely the solution is to simply making them irrelevant and give the players T3 raid set for money?
There's also the insta-level80 option, with extras. So it's not the usual (like in other games) "skip the leveling, start at the level-cap
", it's more like "skip the leveling and half of the endgame grind, start at the very end of the endgame
". I detest the insta-leveling options since years, but this one caught even me by surprise
- and at last, gambling boxes, with endgame gear inside. So, if you bought the afforementioned insta-80, drop some more cash and you can skip that very last part of grind too, grab your T5 gear from the boxes. That's just... sad.
When the forum exploded Andy tried to calm the peeps and said there will be a large post on Monday about the new membership details and some reasoning behind the shop changes, and also a bit later nophex had to enter and giving some details in advance:http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?193643-Update-4-10-Consolidated-feedback-thread&p=2142120&viewfull=1#post2142120
Plus they were in-game too, answering the (quite heated) questions, which is cool. Still, the rage would've been much lower if they're smart and release the membership changes first, and only after the new shop. What's the hurry? They don't need the cahsgrab, they just got some money allegedly...
Anyhow, base line is, the shop will stay, raised prices will stay. But at least free players will have access to Khitai without subscription, and also they will be able to use the AA system. Based on what nophex posted, it will be quite similar to TSW's model.
I guess we'll see more clearly on Monday...